Confessions Of A Teenage Trainspotter (Trains; Trainspotting)

Gene Hunt73

Fire up the Quattro.
Reaction score
Another picture of one of the ‘O’ gauge trains I’m selling for my friends grandad. This is lovely, I might have a bid on it myself using my wife’s account. Anybody know what it is?View attachment 43016View attachment 43015
Hymek diesel hydraulic built by Bayer Peacock in Gorton Manchester.
Spent their lives pretty much in and around Cornwall and Devon until withdrawal as non standard during the early 1970s.
Shame really but the root cause aswell as being hydraulic instead of the standard diesel electric is the traffic they were designed for died out to road haulage and the maintenance costs.
Prime example. milk tanks from the dairies in Devon to London.
Much cheaper to send by lorry plus the local trips yard to yard disappeared.
A couple are still running in preservation I think.
One definitely at the East Lancashire Railway. Bury.
Didcot Railway centre and the West Somerset Railway.

Last edited:

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
More railway humour -

catch the sparks.jpg

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
I was watching some old 1970s thing last night, and there was a railway station in it complete with cafe. I was surprised to see them serving pints of beer and glasses of brandy in there among the cups of tea and sticky buns! I guess that practice died out, possibly when the passengers ended up too pissed to board?

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I was watching some old 1970s thing last night, and there was a railway station in it complete with cafe. I was surprised to see them serving pints of beer and glasses of brandy in there among the cups of tea and sticky buns! I guess that practice died out, possibly when the passengers ended up too pissed to board?
All bigger stations still have places serving booze. You'd need to be a tycoon to afford to get drunk though.

Did you know... most UK railway refreshment shops are owned by the same company so they love hold-ups.

Gene Hunt73

Fire up the Quattro.
Reaction score
There is a decent enough bar at York that spills out into the platform and Manchester Victoria too.
The 'York and Manchester tap'? I think.
I'm pretty certain Sheffield has one too?

Nosmo King

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
My dad use to go to a beer festival down in the west country that started at a pub on the platform at Minehead, there is also 'The Three Guineas' pub in Reading station. On a slight tangent, a friend of mine worked in a large supermarket distribution depot, in their staff canteen they had a vending machine where you could buy cans of beer.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
My dad use to go to a beer festival down in the west country that started at a pub on the platform at Minehead, there is also 'The Three Guineas' pub in Reading station. On a slight tangent, a friend of mine worked in a large supermarket distribution depot, in their staff canteen they had a vending machine where you could buy cans of beer.
Years ago I worked at the City of Bath College in a non-academic position. But there was a student trip to Europe, taking in Strasbourg, Luxembourg and Brussels, and they needed an extra member of staff along with the three lecturers, so I got a free trip. I was surprised at NATO headquarters in Brussels that a fair number of the staff were drinking beer at lunchtime - what could possibly go wrong with boozed-up generals!?

More disturbingly, I found a body floating down a storm drain in Luxembourg and had to get some of the locals to report it to the police...

Cochise

Priest of the cult of the Dog with the Broken Paw
Reaction score
All bigger stations still have places serving booze. You'd need to be a tycoon to afford to get drunk though.

Did you know... most UK railway refreshment shops are owned by the same company so they love hold-ups.
I miss the bars on the Underground though. I particularly remember the ones at Liverpool St and Sloane Square.

I trust you mean delays and not hold-ups.

1628437096986.png

Last edited:

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I miss the bars on the Underground though. I particularly remember the ones at Liverpool St and Sloane Square.

Railway bars could be sleazy places. :chuckle:

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
When you said, "hold-ups", I thought wait a minute, nobody likes armed robbery. Then the penny dropped...

l think that being a victim of an armed robbery would work out cheaper than lunch at a railway station caff.

“Thieves using oxyacetylene gear today broke into a British Rail pork pie, and stole antiques worth 50p.”

:hoff:to Los Dos Ronnos.

maximus ottos

Gene Hunt73

Fire up the Quattro.
Reaction score
The Brief Encounter Tea Rooms and Heritage centre on Carnforth station
is worth a look and coffee to die for.
The famous clock is still there but the station is a shadow of its former self.
Still worth a visit though.
It's a shame the steamtown museum is no longer there opposite the station.

Last edited:

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I was thinking about Carnforth only today. We used to cycle along there from Lancaster, via Morecambe and Hest Bank, and one time there was some roadwork being done that threw up loads of gritty dust.

Luckily I was wearing my Blue Face mask that completely covered the fizzog so didn't get any grit in my eye at all.
No chance of being tended by a handsome doctor!

Blue Face Mask.jpg

Last edited:

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Train drivers remembering colleagues killed in last year's Stonehaven derailment in Scotland -

At 0937 this morning wherever my train (timetabled to have just arrived in shrewsbury) is the horn will be sounded with one blast of the low tone. This is to mark the first anniversary of the stonehaven derailment where we lost our colleauges Driver Brett McCullough, Senior Conductor Donald Dinnie and passenger Christopher Stuchbury.
We will remember you and the railways are now safer

I will be outside hoping to hear a train horn sound.

RaM

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Much preferred before but that nice Mr Beaching decided it wasent to be.
Garstang and Knott End Railway, Knott End Station now a café, and the station
masters house now a private residence,

Timble2

Imaginary Person
Reaction score
Much preferred before but that nice Mr Beaching decided it wasent to be.
Garstang and Knott End Railway, Knott End Station now a café, and the station
masters house now a private residence,
A bit pre-Beeching, the passenger service ended in 1930, Knott end to Pilling closed to Goods traffic in 1950. Beeching just delivered the coup de grace to the Goods service to the rest of the line in 1963.

RaM

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
It was bankrupt on occasion but also had times of profit, there was a branch
to the local salt mines carrying away rock salt and running in coal to run the steam
pumps keeping the mines dry, this ended when the mines went from rock salt
to brine that was pumped across the river to ICI, at one time there were camping
coaches at Knott End and during the wars it was used to supply artillery training
ranges, we still get live shells turning up from time to time.

There is a move afoot to run a short length again with narrow gauge it
looks like it may happen.
Camping coaches.jpg
75178136_2546665288780590_4299246019729686528_o.jpg

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
It was bankrupt on occasion but also had times of profit, there was a branch
to the local salt mines carrying away rock salt and running in coal to run the steam
pumps keeping the mines dry, this ended when the mines went from rock salt
to brine that was pumped across the river to ICI, at one time there were camping
coaches at Knott End and during the wars it was used to supply artillery training
ranges, we still get live shells turning up from time to time.

There is a move afoot to run a short length again with narrow gauge it
looks like it may happen.
View attachment 43588View attachment 43587
Blimey, they look like they're out of the US Civil War!

Tanglebones

Junior Acolyte
Reaction score
Just in case it's not been mentioned so far, this book should explain everything if you are bemused by the whole trainspotter lifestyle.

"Platform Souls: The Trainspotter As Twentieth Century Hero.", by Nicholas Whittaker. I think of it as my generations On The Road. :)