Confessions Of A Teenage Trainspotter (Trains; Trainspotting)

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
More railway humour.

New Bond movie.jpg

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
A railway worker posted this on Facebook:
'Currently filming Mission Impossible 7 in Birmingham New Street Station as apparently it's a similar design layout to Dubai airport'

Currently filming Mission Impossible 7 in Birmingham New Street Station as apparently it's a s...jpgCurrently filming Mission Impossible 7 in Birmingham New Street Station as apparently it's a s...jpg

Reactions: RaM

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
The BTP bumped into Tom Cruise in Birmingham today.

Bumped into Tom Cruise in Birmingham today. .jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Lime Street Station, Liverpool.
(January 1979) by John Atkinson.

View attachment 44270

Atmospheric shot. I can almost feel the air and hear the crunch underfoot.
The wagons you can see on the platforms are set ready to take mailbags off the trains.
The default handle position is up which puts the brake on. They are buggers to move and steer, especially when laden.

I know Lime Street station very well. It's awesome. :cool:

Peripart

Antediluvian
Reaction score
A railway worker posted this on Facebook:
'Currently filming Mission Impossible 7 in Birmingham New Street Station as apparently it's a similar design layout to Dubai airport'

View attachment 44031View attachment 44032
That first photo shows a sign for John Lewis, the "flagship" store of the New Street complex. Sadly, it hasn't re-opened post-Covid, and the huge shop is empty. Nice to see it being used for something, at least!

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
That first photo shows a sign for John Lewis, the "flagship" store of the New Street complex. Sadly, it hasn't re-opened post-Covid, and the huge shop is empty. Nice to see it being used for something, at least!
It's a shame as the revamped New Street is a wonder to behold.
I used to have a shift where I'd take my train home from there and often pick up something tasty and knocked-down for tea from the delis.

RaM

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Set of scans of old Garstang and Knott End Railway post cards, the carriages had a distinct
wild west flavour. and the engine Blackpool a unusual wheel arrangement I think only used
on one other loco.
Knott End Station is now a café with a extra story built on.
Preesall station is now the site of a egg packing plant
Natby station is a transport company
Garstang Town and the site of the engine sheds part of a flood defence scheme.
Garstang and Catterall is still part of the West Coast main line but much changed and trains no longer stop there,
in the days of the G&KER on the last run of the day if they had not taken enough tickets to Garstang and Catterall
the train terminated at Garstang Town were the engine sheds were.

IMG_20210901_0005.jpg

IMG_20210901_0006.jpg

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score

Peripart

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Set of scans of old Garstang and Knott End Railway post cards, the carriages had a distinct
wild west flavour. and the engine Blackpool a unusual wheel arrangement I think only used
on one other loco.

It looks like a 2-6-0T, or am I misinterpreting the picture? Unusual, but far from unique.

Beautiful images, by the way.

RaM

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
A friend was a fireman on the railways and one night they had a class 4 tank on
a coal train heading towards Bury on what now is the East Lancashire Railway,
Between Summerseat and Bury the line as a down grade and the train ran away,
they locked on the whistle to warn the Guard and bailed out.
They eventually caught up with the train the other side of Bury Bolton St station
and found the guard still in his van, when they told him what had happened he
said "I thought you were knocking on a bit down the bank" then promptly
collapsed from shock.
The papers the next day had a bit about it headed "Hero Guard stays with runaway
train,

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
From the very trainface: selling tickets onboard -

So, I'm taking a casual stroll through my train checking tickets with ticket device in one hand and e-ticket scanner in the other checking lots of E-tickets... bleep bleep accept, bleep bleep accept, bleep bleep accept.

All of a sudden, no more bleeps, but the device is still reading them so I carry on.

Some poor guy just ahead of me jumps out of his seat and throws his headphones on the table.

The machine connected to his wireless headphones and he was getting the rather loud BLEEP BLEEP instead of me!
Poor bloke.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score

Seen on Facebook -

'A Webb-designed Waterloo Class, Crewe-built loco, 824 Adelaide, built 1893, withdrawn1929; none of the ninety produced were preserved.​

The shot gives a good view of the end section of Spider Bridge, a glimpse of the Royal Hotel and Pedley Street School.'​

924 Adelaide .jpg

This view is from the end of what's now platform 5.
The Spider Bridge is long gone but the school and Royal Hotel still stand, though the school is now the BTP HQ.

In the early days of the railways the worker would queue up in the Royal to collect their wages. Local Temperance campaigners strongly disapproved and brought pressure to move the operation elsewhere to prevent workers from being tempted to squander their money on beer instead of taking it home.

Cochise

Priest of the cult of the Dog with the Broken Paw
Reaction score

Seen on Facebook -

'A Webb-designed Waterloo Class, Crewe-built loco, 824 Adelaide, built 1893, withdrawn1929; none of the ninety produced were preserved.​

The shot gives a good view of the end section of Spider Bridge, a glimpse of the Royal Hotel and Pedley Street School.'​

View attachment 44687

This view is from the end of what's now platform 5.
The Spider Bridge is long gone but the school and Royal Hotel still stand, though the school is now the BTP HQ.

In the early days of the railways the worker would queue up in the Royal to collect their wages. Local Temperance campaigners strongly disapproved and brought pressure to move the operation elsewhere to prevent workers from being tempted to squander their money on beer instead of taking it home.
Saw Hardwicke - same class - at Rainhill 150 . Under steam , which I doubt we'll see again.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Saw Hardwicke - same class - at Rainhill 150 . Under steam , which I doubt we'll see again.

We're probably 'ad this before:
BBC 4 doc about it -
Rocket 150 at Rainhill

I was sooo desperate to go to that, and it was less than an hour away by train.
Wasn't happening for young family reasons. :(

Wouldn't it be great if there was a Rainhill 200? :)

Stillill

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Can any of you knowledgeable people identify this. I want
9C3A89A1-1EE7-451F-BEB8-05E0AC895B86.jpeg
1278E165-EB45-4476-8508-2D159459C116.jpeg
to list it on eBay but haven’t a clue what type it is. I’ve looked online but no luck.