Confessions Of A Teenage Trainspotter (Trains & Trainspotting)

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score

Gene Hunt73

Fire up the Quattro.
Reaction score
Fond as I am of Deltics these don't sound so bad:

I
images.jpeg

[/QUOTE]

Stillill

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Help needed from all you knowledgeable lot. Any idea what type of steam loco this is? It’s an original 1928 Bassett-Lowke model but that’s all I know. Any help would be much appreciated as I’m struggling for information and want to put it on eBay for the owner at some point which unfortunately isn’t me as I’d be keeping it.
38AF9BA3-3594-4B57-B0C5-EB155C952F1F.jpeg

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Help needed from all you knowledgeable lot. Any idea what type of steam loco this is? It’s an original 1928 Bassett-Lowke model but that’s all I know. Any help would be much appreciated as I’m struggling for information and want to put it on eBay for the owner at some point which unfortunately isn’t me as I’d be keeping it.View attachment 47040
Just Google all the words, letters and figures with 'model' and you'll find it.

PeteS

Seeking refuge
Reaction score
Help needed from all you knowledgeable lot. Any idea what type of steam loco this is? It’s an original 1928 Bassett-Lowke model but that’s all I know. Any help would be much appreciated as I’m struggling for information and want to put it on eBay for the owner at some point which unfortunately isn’t me as I’d be keeping it.View attachment 47040
Wow that is nice. Is it a restoration job or all original?

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Platform 5 looking rammed there. :(

RaM

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Been to the railway museum once or twice the wife has family history
connections in Crew and at little Morton Hall.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
'At Glasgow Central Class today: 230 001 which is a battery operated DEMU resting on Platform 9 during driver training.'

At Glasgow Central Class 230 001 which is a battery operated DEMU resting on Platform 9 durin...jpeg

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
More railway humour - (lifted verbatim from Facebook))

While route learning Selby to Hull an ex TPE Driver told me about the old hand Driver who when booking off reported to the TCS "I might have run some bellend over a few hours ago " and when the TCS asked him "Why are you just reporting it now?" Replied "What good would it have done him me getting home late? "

Gene Hunt73

Fire up the Quattro.
Reaction score
The story behind getting a Deltic' D9000 Royal Scots Grey' from the scrap line or 'death row' at Doncaster to mainline standard and the work that goes into it. Including her having an exhaust fire at Berwick upon Tweed under a wooden awning.

Two stroke engines burn oil!
So call the fire brigade..

The helicopter shots towards the end in Yorkshire are well worth a watch.

Last edited:

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
More railway humour, dunno if I've already posted it -

(friend) told me about a guy sitting in a station with a bag of chips. Every so often he would throw one, attracting some seagulls.

This went on for a good wee while. Until an army of seagulls were on the platform. Still he threw more chips. Not enough to satisfy them but enough for the birds to stay interested.

A train came into the station and still the gent sat there with his battalion of gulls.
Then the door alarms went off... And he threw the remainder of his bag onto the train.
Carriage full of gulls until the next stop... Miles away.

Last edited:

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
How Captain Smith of the RMS Titanic got a driving job for British Rail is beyond me after the fiasco of the 1912 incident.
Must have been a driver shortage I suppose. View attachment 47366
Captain Smith came from Stoke and locals are proud of him. There's a plaque on his house in Hanley and the Titanic brewery in Burslem names some of its beers in Titanic/ocean-related terms.

Techy particularly likes their Plum Porter, luckily available at our corner shop. :)

Peripart

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Captain Smith came from Stoke and locals are proud of him. There's a plaque on his house in Hanley and the Titanic brewery in Burslem names some of its beers in Titanic/ocean-related terms.

Although his statue is in Beacon Park in Lichfield, so possibly the pride of the Stokeites isn't universally felt.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Although his statue is in Beacon Park in Lichfield, so possibly the pride of the Stokeites isn't universally felt.
Yup, the statue was intended to be displayed in Stoke but t'Juggers refused it as Smith was at the time widely believed to have been responsible for the disaster.

Didn't we read that a pair of binoculars that might have helped with spotting the iceberg was accidentally locked in a cupboard that nobody dared break into?