Confessions Of A Teenage Trainspotter (Trains & Trainspotting)

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
Yes you can - as soon as you go 'airside' you are in the duty free area.
We 'filled our boots' with duty free when we flew from Stansted to Guernsey.

you could be approaching Tring

5 bonus points to Gene Hunt for mentioning the town of my birth, from out of nowhere.
(Also, so I'm told, Tring is one of the most haunted towns in the UK - dunno how much truth there is in that though)

Peripart

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Yes you can - as soon as you go 'airside' you are in the duty free area.
We 'filled our boots' with duty free when we flew from Stansted to Guernsey

I'm not disputing your knowledge of the duty-free system, but Guernsey isn't actually in the UK.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I'd bet that the train from London to Glasgow was quicker than a flight from Heathrow to Glasgow (1 hour 30 minutes) once you add in the amount of time you have to spend getting through Heathrow and out of Glasgow airports!
And most likely a damn sight more comfortable too.

For sure. Once the railways' wifi is sorted out (Techy knows all about that!) it'll be even better. Nothing like as stressful as flying AND there is TOP railway banter to be had.

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
I'm not disputing your knowledge of the duty-free system, but Guernsey isn't actually in the UK.
No they're not, I know that, Jersey and Guernsey are 'Crown Dependencies', and are both 'Bailiwicks' with Guernsey being an incorporation of the other Channel Islands. The UK is responsible for their defence and international relations.
As 'Crown Dependencies' (along with the Isle of Man) their link with the UK is through the Crown, and as such are included for travel/customs purposes, hence no need for a passport to travel there, you are technically still within the United Kingdom borders, same as you would be for travelling to The Scilly Isles, the Shetlands etc.
So when we went through the Duty Free area at Stansted, it was 'airside' but I don't (and didn't) own a passport, and nobody asked to see our tickets or anything, and we basically took our limits on all the duty free we could - I bought a load of fags and at that point was in my non-smoking phase.
That was about 8 years ago and I have a feeling that some aspects of travel would have changed now, particularly if going to the EU or further afield, but AFAIK nothing is likely to have changed with regards to travel within the UK borders.

Beresford

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
I have no idea how long trains get, but this arrangement is a good opportunity to view the contenders.

They can be much longer than that in countries such as Australia and the US, depending on the type of load. I can remember sitting in a pub in Cheyenne, Wyoming, watching freight trains trundle by (it was part of the old station building, beside a freight yard). It took them quite a while to pass.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longest_trains

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Here's the Advanced Passenger train, travelling at its maximum permit speed on this line.

The APT thundering through Crewe..jpg

Gene Hunt73

Fire up the Quattro.
Reaction score
203707617_10158228760017555_3837003928601188627_n.jpg

Sixty year old veteran (built like a tank) class 37 still going strong at Manchester Picc earlier this week.
Plus a class 47 pictured 30 years earlier named 'Henry Ford' at virtually the same spot.
203370807_1189267718191843_1302415243605064358_n.jpg

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score

WCML Basford Hall live again -

WCML Basford Junction Cam 2 -

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Reaction score
I saw a goods train the other day, came to a stop as a passenger train was coming the opposite way.

The squealing of the breaks was most melodious

Cochise

Priest of the cult of the Dog with the Broken Paw
Reaction score
I saw a goods train the other day, came to a stop as a passenger train was coming the opposite way.

The squealing of the breaks was most melodious
i miss the sounds of the old railway - clash of buffers while shunting, the clank clank clank clank of a loose coupled freight starting off. Those sounds outlasted the steam era but died in the 1980's.

Nosmo King

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
There used to be records of those sounds on sale. My father used to buy them.
Dunno why as all he needed to do to hear trains was stick his bonce out of the window!
He could see the future were he wouldnt be able to hear them in thier natural environment :oops:

Gene Hunt73

Fire up the Quattro.
Reaction score

WCML Basford Hall live again -

WCML Basford Junction Cam 2 -

Mini Wistanton Junction livestreams around the Basford Hall area on YouTube.
Glovestrains is also a good watch too.

Tanglebones

Junior Acolyte
Reaction score
I remember looking at the rails at the buffer stop in Hull Paragon back in the 1970's and thinking that, if you included the rails on the cross channel train ferry, and ignored stuff like points and gauge differences, it was possible to imagine a continuous strip of steel going from Paragon right across Eurasia and ending in Kamchatka. That's why I love railways.

Nothing wrong with trainspotting. My first sight of a Class 76 at Penistone is a treasured memory!

Cochise

Priest of the cult of the Dog with the Broken Paw
Reaction score
HST.....Deltic killer.
Try doing this with an HST:

But you do have a point. The HST's were an improvement on the Deltics for express passenger service on the ECML. However the design brief was very different. Deltics could do everything from high speed interval express services through overnight heavy load sleeper /parcels services to container freight.