• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Confused budgerigar

Aw, the wee soul. Is there a term for that condition? I've never seen anything like it.

I saw this bird on TV. What a beauty, he seems so tame and friendly!

My first thought was that there was potential for new breed, but as the lady budgies don't fancy him it's unlikely.

Lovely bird though. Well, birds just ARE lovely.

What's Beak's verdict?

They're called Featherdusters (for the obvious reason :p), and are a mutation of the normal budgie. Their feathers don't grow the correct way and grow for too long, so they end up looking...well, like feather dusters. They're unable to fly, but they're rather cute :)

I think someone can explain the scientific background better than myself...

An exaggeration of the keratinous gene growth which is like a wart to skin.
It's not really cute though. Rather like one of those irritating lapdogs. I think Budgies' are cute, especially parakeets; but this one looks like a primadonna type.
And I'm a vegan! hehe

Is it what they call 'French moult'? I lived with a family once who showed tropical birds and heard about this at a bird show, people always think its a new mutation but its a deformity or maybe a disease caused by a fungal infection, I cant remember which, its not highly thought of in the budgie showing world anyway.

Back