• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Congleton Bear (Town Bible Money Spent On Bear)

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
( Copied / Spun off from the Hartlepool(?) 'Monkey Hanging' thread.)

OK, some silly people somewhere hung a monkey. For a REAL Elizabethan scandal, how about when people of Congleton sold the town's Bible to buy a dancing bear?

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, some silly people somewhere hung a monkey. For a REAL Elizabethan scandal, how about when people of Congleton sold the town's Bible to buy a dancing bear?
Well, if it's a toss-up between a bear and a bible, I'd go for the bear.
It's a no-brainer!

hmm. i don't know really. there is a strong northern european old cultural link around bears, including uk, but i don't think bears are generally particularly revered or despised in the uk.

the strongest link is the many many pubs called The Bear or The Bear Inn or the such. the imagery associated with that is of a bear chained to a post for bear baiting.

bears feel like a really 'foreign' creature to me- something that abroad has. like crocodiles or monkeys!

Congleton in Cheshire is sometimes known as 'Beartown' because of its long association with bears.

There's an explicatory rhyme -

Congleton rare
Congleton rare
Sold the Bible to pay for a bear.

Techy showed me the original Congleton bear pit a few years ago, where the poor creatures were baited for entertainment.

Congleton became notorious in the 1620s when bear-baiting and cockfighting were popular sports. The town was unable to attract large crowds to its bear-baiting contests and lacked the money to pay for a new, more aggressive bear. Legend tells that Congleton spent the money they were going to spend on a bible on a bear. This legend earned Congleton the nickname 'Beartown'. The chorus of 20th-century folk song "Congleton Bear", by folk artist John Tams, runs:

Congleton Rare, Congleton Rare
Sold the Bible to buy a bear.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Congleton

There are different versions of the story's background. Some claim the townspeople needed to replace their resident bear, who'd turned out to be too friendly to use in bear-baiting. Some claim the resident bear had died.

There are also variations with regard to the bible and the money used to buy the bear. Some claim the town's bible was sold to raise the money. Some claim the bear was purchased with funds that were already being collected to buy a new town bible.

Here's how the Congleton Museum describes the situation:

Congleton was also well known for its cockfights and bearbaiting. On one occasion the town bear died just before the annual wakes, or holiday. The town had been saving to buy a new bible, but lent the bearward 16 shillings from the fund to buy a new bear. The story was immortalised in the inaccurate rhyme,
Congleton rare,
Congleton rare,
Sold the Bible
To buy a bear.
https://www.congletonmuseum.co.uk/history-of-congleton/

Everywhere you go in Congleton there are references to bears. They're obsessed with the bloody things.

Interestingly, locals like to represent the Bear realistically and not like teddies or Winnie the Pooh or Paddington. The Congleton bear is a long-snouted wild animal. The town remembers it well.

I'm a Morris dancer. I used to know a dancer who often sang this song in pub sessions. The words are modern, based on the folk tale, and it is sung to a traditional Morris dance tune.

Below is a link to the lyrics. I've also copied and pasted the lyrics. Below that is a link to a professional recording of the song on You Tube.

http://www.goldenhindmusic.com/lyrics/CONGLETO.html

The wakes coming on and the bear he took ill
We tried him with potion, with brandy and pill
He died in his sleep at the eve of the wakes
The cause, it was said, was strong ale and sweet cakes:
The cheeses of Cheshire are famed, but beware
Of stories they tell of the Congleton Bear
Congleton Bear, Congleton Bear
They sold the church Bible to buy a new bear.

He served the town well and he served town true
To lie him in state was the least they could do
The old bear was dead, a successor they'd need
A new bear was wanted, and that at great speed:

Now a parson is useful in times of great need
And imbibed with strong porter he quickly agreed
The parson, his Bible he give then and there
We sold it in Nantwich to buy a new bear:

Oh, the new bear, a she-bear, was toast of the town
To music and laughter she danced up and down
So loudly the cheering would waken the dead
It caused the old bear for to rise from his bed:

Pills, potion and brandy induced a deep trance
And refreshed by the music he began for to dance
He danced down the road causing many a gaze
Word quickly spread that the old bear was raised:

He rolled his dark eye as he spied the she-bear
And with an embrace they danced jigs pair-and-pair
The cheeses of Cheshire are famed but beware
Of stories they tell of the Congleton Bear:

I'm a Morris dancer. I used to know a dancer who often sang this song in pub sessions. The words are modern, based on the folk tale, and it is sung to a traditional Morris dance tune.

Below is a link to the lyrics. I've also copied and pasted the lyrics. Below that is a link to a professional recording of the song on You Tube.

http://www.goldenhindmusic.com/lyrics/CONGLETO.html

The wakes coming on and the bear he took ill
We tried him with potion, with brandy and pill
He died in his sleep at the eve of the wakes
The cause, it was said, was strong ale and sweet cakes:
The cheeses of Cheshire are famed, but beware
Of stories they tell of the Congleton Bear
Congleton Bear, Congleton Bear
They sold the church Bible to buy a new bear.

He served the town well and he served town true
To lie him in state was the least they could do
The old bear was dead, a successor they'd need
A new bear was wanted, and that at great speed:

Now a parson is useful in times of great need
And imbibed with strong porter he quickly agreed
The parson, his Bible he give then and there
We sold it in Nantwich to buy a new bear:

Oh, the new bear, a she-bear, was toast of the town
To music and laughter she danced up and down
So loudly the cheering would waken the dead
It caused the old bear for to rise from his bed:

Pills, potion and brandy induced a deep trance
And refreshed by the music he began for to dance
He danced down the road causing many a gaze
Word quickly spread that the old bear was raised:

He rolled his dark eye as he spied the she-bear
And with an embrace they danced jigs pair-and-pair
The cheeses of Cheshire are famed but beware
Of stories they tell of the Congleton Bear:

Love it! Techy does too. It's about his ancestors.

But they're singing 'Congleton rare' not 'Congleton Bear'.

The rhyme is
Congleton rare, Congleton rare,
They sold the church Bible to buy a new bear

Techy will be sharing the video with his Congleton friends. :D

Love it! Techy does too. It's about his ancestors.

But they're singing 'Congleton rare' not 'Congleton Bear'.

The rhyme is
Congleton rare, Congleton rare,
They sold the church Bible to buy a new bear

Techy will be sharing the video with his Congleton friends. :D
It is in the nature of folk songs that no two people sing the same words or the same tune — sometimes even when they're doing a duet. ;)

Many's the time that I've painstakingly learned and practised a song for performance at a folk club only for someone else to sing their preferred version over me, loudly enough to be a distraction.

The chap I used to know who sang this regularly at Morris events sang "Congleton bear" twice as a repeat of the end of the line, "Of stories they tell of the Congleton bear." This may not be "right" in terms of the local rhyme, but it is in keeping with a popular format for a folk song.

Then again, folkies tend to sing "Why why why" both times in Delilah, when it should be "My my my" the first time and "Why why why" the second.

It is in the nature of folk songs that no two people sing the same words or the same tune — sometimes even when they're doing a duet. ;)

Many's the time that I've painstakingly learned and practised a song for performance at a folk club only for someone else to sing their preferred version over me, loudly enough to be a distraction.

The chap I used to know who sang this regularly at Morris events sang "Congleton bear" twice as a repeat of the end of the line, "Of stories they tell of the Congleton bear." This may not be "right" in terms of the local rhyme, but it is in keeping with a popular format for a folk song.

Then again, folkies tend to sing "Why why why" both times in Delilah, when it should be "My my my" the first time and "Why why why" the second.
Someone should do a mashup of 'Congleton Bear' and 'Deliliah'.

Nobody'd have a CLUE what was going on! :chuckle:

It was a bear for baiting, not a dancing bear.

So a single use animal. Not good economics.

But, i always smile when I see the sign for Congleton...

That's what I get for not paying attention. I'd heard that Woolpit in Suffolk got the name because that was where the last native wolf in England was hunted and killed (as if that's anything to be proud of). half-hearing the association of Congleton, Cheshire with bears, I got it from somewhere this was the northern, or north-midlands, version, the place where England suddenly ceased to have a wild native bear population. Woolpit where wolves became extinct; Congleton where bears became extinct. so the legend is different and i just hadn't noticed...

I dont think we have had a wild bear population since pre Roman times.

Hence the big concern over the price of one.

That's what I get for not paying attention. I'd heard that Woolpit in Suffolk got the name because that was where the last native wolf in England was hunted and killed (as if that's anything to be proud of). half-hearing the association of Congleton, Cheshire with bears, I got it from somewhere this was the northern, or north-midlands, version, the place where England suddenly ceased to have a wild native bear population. Woolpit where wolves became extinct; Congleton where bears became extinct. so the legend is different and i just hadn't noticed...

The last wolf killed in England perished in about two dozen places!

Here's the website of a pub I know well, the White Lion at Barthomley in Cheshire, where another of the last wolves in England was killed.
White Lion Inn

Two outdoor drinking areas overlook a small stream, the Wulvern (Or Wulvarn Brook, named in memory of the last wolf in England, supposedly killed in Barthomley Wood), a tributary of the Valley Brook, in the centre of this quiet and attractive village.

"Beartown brewery" make some nice quaffable ales. :boozing:

Talk of bears and monkeys reminded me of wen i visited Heywood in Lancashire, whuch is nicknamed 'monkey town'.
Bob Dobson in 'Lancashire Nicknames & Sayings' states that the nickname originated from Irish immigrants pronouncing 'Heap Bridge' as 'Ape Bridge,' and believes that the name 'Monkey Town' derived from this. With the nickname came the stools with holes in them - supposedly for the monkey's tails.

Traditional tales of killing bears:
I just remembered this. A dancer from Forest of Dean Morris Men used to do a monologue with the refrain, "Who killed the bears?" I don't remember a lot of detail. I heard it two or three times maybe 30 years ago. I think I've found the wording and I've copied it at the bottom of this post.

The Forest of Dean is an area "between England and Wales" and is presently famous for a large wild boar population.

The following is slightly edited from Wikipedia:
A notable event in the town of Ruardean's history occurred on 26 April 1889. Four Frenchmen and their two bears were making their way to Ruardean, having performed in Cinderford. They were attacked by an angry mob, enraged by claims that the bears had killed a child and injured a woman. The bears were killed and the Frenchmen badly beaten.

It soon became clear that the bears had not attacked anyone. Police proceedings followed and a week later 13 colliers and labourers appeared before magistrates at Littledean, charged with ill-treating and killing the bears and assaulting the Frenchmen. All but two were found guilty on one or more charges, with another convicted a week later. A total of £85 (equivalent to £9,464 in 2019) was paid in fines. A subscription was also launched which generously compensated the Frenchmen.

The question "Who killed the bears?" was used for many years as an insult, directed particularly towards the people of Ruardean, despite the fact that all those convicted were from Cinderford. This caused a long-term feud between the inhabitants of the town and village

This is a link to an article relating to the picture below, which is an actual legal document relating to the prosecution.

Below the picture is the wording of a dialect poem which is almost certainly the monologue I remember hearing.

SWNS_DANCING_BEAR_04.jpg

Who Killed The Bears?
By Harry Beddington
Hast ever ‘eard o’ Ruardean?
Thic place be’ind the ‘ill
Where, if thouse like vresh air in chunks
Then thee const ‘ave thee vill.

Vram thic there bank on zunny day
Thouse look right inta Wales
An’ there yunt much ‘tween there an’ thee
Ta stop them south-west gales.

Well thic there view, though p’rhaps as fine
As any thou const name
Yunt why them chaps as live up there
‘Ave earned a place in fame.

Thay don’t appear ta be bad blokes
They don’t put on no airs
But, years agoo, ar zoo tis zed
Them chaps they killed zum bears.

Zum vurriners vram ‘cross the sea
Were ‘awkin’ round the lanes
An’ thay ‘ad got zum bears wi’ um
Draggin’ round on chains.

Well zum vool started up a yarn
That bears ’ad killed a lad
An’ thic tale gettin’ round the place
Zoon got the volks ‘alf mad.

Wi’ sticks an’ stwuns an’ iron bars
Brick-bats an’ chunks of ‘ood
Dree parts the village zet off out
Ta stop them bears vor good.

Them vurriners they chased an’ byut
An’ rolled um in the mud
An’ them there bears they laid out vlat
An’ left them there stwun jud.

Well that’s the tale as I were tawld
An’ I could never tell
Why, each time thouse remind um on ‘t,
Them chaps da kick up “Merry Andrew”.

Thay be zo touchy ‘bout it all
That vram thic day till now
If thou dost only whisper “bears”
Those exin vor a row.

I used ta laugh about it once
An’ zed I ‘ad me doubts
Zo, one night, back zum years agoo
I went there to vind out.

I drapped inta the public bar
O’ thic there place the Bell
‘Bout dozen chaps were drinkin’ there
As near as I could tell.

I sized um up both one an’ all
An’ though thay looked bit rough
There wasn’t nern as big as I
Thay didn’t look that tough.

I got my back agen a wall
An’ turned an’ faced thair stares
Then, gettin’ ready vor the fun
I exed “Who killed the bears?”

Vor ‘alf a minute time stood still
Thay looked at I each one
I started ta let out a laugh
An’ then the fun begun.

I’ve ‘ad zum fights when I were young
‘Cos I be Vorest barn
But when I think what ‘appened then
I vind my blood run warm.

I spread my vit an clenched my tith
An’ ladled round I plenty
But vor each one I gid awoy
I back I gathered twenty.

This lasted vor a goodish bit
It zeemed an hour ar more
An’ never ‘ave I bin zo glad
Ta come back droo a door.

‘Tis true, thay opened ‘im vor I
An’ I come droo yud vust
An’ then thay stood an’ looked at I
As I rolled in the dust.

They stood an’ watched I quiut
As I scrambled to my vit
And one, ‘im tossed my ‘at to I
Another my top tith.

I went back wum a wiser mon
I’d paid vor all my fun
I never stopped to look be’ind
Nar never went agyun.

Well that were many years agoo
And them there days be done
Thay zay it yunt like that there now
But that’s as maybe son.

If thou bist ever up thic road
An’ veel thouse like zum fun
Thou exe um who ‘twas killed the bears
But Mister – TAKE A GUN

The Congleton Jazz and Blues Festival is imminent. As usual the posters feature the bear.

Congleton jazz.jpg
congleton jazz 1.jpg
We'll be along there shortly and will report back on the current quality of Beartown ales for the benefit of @Nemo.

Talk of bears and monkeys reminded me of wen i visited Heywood in Lancashire, whuch is nicknamed 'monkey town'.
Bob Dobson in 'Lancashire Nicknames & Sayings' states that the nickname originated from Irish immigrants pronouncing 'Heap Bridge' as 'Ape Bridge,' and believes that the name 'Monkey Town' derived from this. With the nickname came the stools with holes in them - supposedly for the monkey's tails.
As you'll have heard, the Irish immigrants came to Lancashire as labourers to help build the railway after leaving Ireland because of the Famine. Same happened where I live. One wonders how the railways would have been built without that catastrophe.

So did you & Techy end up going to the fest. then?
No chance. :(

Techy watches the daily Covid infection figures and trends like a hawk. Congleton was apparently a stinking pit of infection at the time so we went in the opposite direction.

Back