• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Conservatory Devil

FrKadash

Justified & Ancient
I was trying to find a thread to post this in but couldn't find one that seemed to match so here it is!

My wife was telling me about how when her parents were having their conservatory built that the guy in charge was discussing designs with them when they got onto the choice of having a central spiked peak in the roof, and the chap informed them that the origin of that spike was that it was actually a superstition to protect you from the devil jumping up onto your conservatory and dancing there! I was wondering if anyone else has heard of this before? I tried to look it up online but couldn't find out anything about it o_O

I was trying to find a thread to post this in but couldn't find one that seemed to match so here it is!

My wife was telling me about how when her parents were having their conservatory built that the guy in charge was discussing designs with them when they got onto the choice of having a central spiked peak in the roof, and the chap informed them that the origin of that spike was that it was actually a superstition to protect you from the devil jumping up onto your conservatory and dancing there! I was wondering if anyone else has heard of this before? I tried to look it up online but couldn't find out anything about it o_O

Haven't heard of it before but it made me smile!

I hate the spiky thing on our lean-to. Always have.

I don't know about conservatories, but it seems I'd heard something similar about the figures on weather vanes. That was a long time ago, and looking it up now can't find anything. Maybe it was a local superstition.

I thought you were talking about Cameron, i gotta learn to read properly

In this part of the world any feature like that was probably to keep seagulls off! Nasty shitty critturs!
My conservatory has huge plastic spikes along a central spine.
Birds don't seem to want to land on the roof, so it works.

My conservatory has huge plastic spikes along a central spine.
Birds don't seem to want to land on the roof, so it works.
Bloody doesn't on mine. Can hear the little tweeters scratting around as soon as the suns up.

Back