• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Conspiracy: Easter Attacks In Sri Lanka 2019

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
This thread is intended for conspiracy aspects of these dreadful events.

It has, for example, been suggested that there were warnings that something was planned but that no action was taken. :(

The more general thread is currently in Mainstream News.

Last edited:
A summary thread from the BBC. Possibly relevant for a conspiracy thread

During a news conference on Sunday evening, Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe addressed rumours that officials had had prior intelligence of forthcoming attacks.

"We must look into why adequate precautions were not taken. Neither I nor the Ministers were kept informed," he said.

"For now the priority is to apprehend the attackers," he added.

There was also a temporary restriction on some social media networks to try and stop misinformation spreading.

This thread is intended for conspiracy aspects of these dreadful events.

It has, for example, been suggested that there were warnings that something was planned but that no action was taken. :(

The more general thread is currently in Mainstream News.

How about putting the word 'conspiracies' in the title? People won't know otherwise.

OK... as you've put the tag of 'conspiracy' on this... do you think it's at all possible that some elements in the Sri Lankan government or security forces may have actually allowed this to happen?

OK... as you've put the tag of 'conspiracy' on this... do you think it's at all possible that some elements in the Sri Lankan government or security forces may have actually allowed this to happen?
There are reports that the government knew ten days in advance this (or at least something) was going to happen.

There are reports that the government knew ten days in advance this (or at least something) was going to happen.
Why would they deliberately allow such a thing to happen? Or is it as simple as negligence and the cogwheels of government turning really slowly?

Why would they deliberately allow such a thing to happen? Or is it as simple as negligence and the cogwheels of government turning really slowly?
I think the general idea in such cases it then allows the goverment the opportunity to bring draconian laws in which woudl not have been accpeted otherwise. Control basically.

I think the general idea in such cases it then allows the goverment the opportunity to bring draconian laws in which woudl not have been accpeted otherwise. Control basically.
Hmmm, yeah. That might be possible.

A smart snail but the snailette at CERN is the genius!

Frides' life rules:

Never stray from the path
Never eat a fallen apple
Never trust a man whose eyebrows meet in the middle
Never get involved in a land war in asia
Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line
LISTEN TO THE SNAIL

I'll put something behind the bar in the Troll's Head for people who can identify, without search, the two sources of the first rules :)

Frides' life rules:

Never eat a fallen apple
LISTEN TO THE SNAIL

I'll put something behind the bar in the Troll's Head for people who can identify, without search, the two sources of the first rules :)
Company of Wolves.

Frides' life rules:

Never eat a fallen apple
LISTEN TO THE SNAIL

Company of Wolves and The Princess Bride

Don't see even the remotest hint of a conspiracy here.

Targeting Christians, and hotels frequented by Westeners, has the stench of islamic fundamentalism all over it.
Most news servers are pointing the finger at militant Sri Lankan islamist group "National Thowheeth Jama’ath", who seem to have been bolstered by Islamic state jihadis returning from their military defeat in Syria.

The Sri Lankan authorities' failure to act on a warning that NTJ were planning suicide attacks over Easter is worthy of discussion. I do, however, recall similar criticism of the British authorities following the 7/7 atrocity in London, when newspapers reported that some vague warnings had been given.
Problem is that threats and warnings are made on pretty well a daily basis in most sizeable countries and every government has to balance the probability of a terrorist threat being real, against applying overly-oppressive security measures.
Hindsight is a 100% flawless tool, but attempting to deflect any blame from radical islam, due to possible government complacency, strikes me as unfair and misguided.

Last edited:
What does Thowheeth Jama’ath mean?

ta! This thread wasn't created to distract from any particular cause or blame being assigned. I created it because there was disquiet about the Notre Dame thread focused on memory, loss and regret being also a place to chew over the possible conspiracies. No more, no less :)

BBC 13.00 News (other news sources are available ;) ) are saying that Islamic State have claimed this. I wonder if they have sufficient theorology to know that they are creating martyrs?

Now claims are emerging about the motive behind the attacks ...

Sri Lanka minister: Easter bombings a response to NZ attacks
A top Sri Lanka official said Tuesday the Easter bombings that killed 321 people were carried out by a Islamic fundamentalists in apparent retaliation for the New Zealand mosque massacres last month by a white supremacist, while the Islamic State group sought to claim responsibility for the suicide blasts at churches, hotels and other sites.

The comments in Parliament by Ruwan Wijewardene, the state minister of defense, came shortly before IS asserted it was responsible for the bombings in and outside of Colombo, although the group gave no evidence to support its claims. ...

He said the government had evidence that the bombings were carried out “by an Islamic fundamentalist group” in retaliation for the mosque shootings on March 15 in Christchurch, New Zealand, that killed 50 people, although he did not disclose what the evidence was. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.apnews.com/354320ae7110498ab41602f663ce6bbe

Could they really have arranged all this within a month?

Could they really have arranged all this within a month?

Assuming the materiel (explosives) was available - most definitely yes.

There's not a lot to arrange in planning suicide bombings against publicly-accessible soft targets, except for target selection and scheduling.

and your volunteers don't have the time to reconsider :(

Back