• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Conspiracy Theories & Democracy

https://hermetic.com/bey/conspire
"Is conspiracy theory a delusion of the Right which has infected the Left as well? Leftist Conspiracy Theorists sometimes make uncritical use of the texts of Rightest Conspiracy Theorists-delving into the work of the Liberty Lobby for JFK Assassination tidbits, picking up Birchist notions about the CFR/Bilderberg/Rockefeller “liberal” internationalists, etc., etc. Since anti-semitism can be found on the Left as well as the Right, echoes of the Protocols may be heard from both directions. Even some anarchists are attracted to “Historical Revisionism”. Anticapitalism or economic populism on the Right has its counterpoint on the Left in “Red Fascism”, which broke the surface of History in the Hitler/Stalin Pact, and has come back to haunt us in the bizarre European “Third Wave” amalgamation of Right and Left extremism, a phenomenon which emerges in the USA in the libertine nihilism and “satanism” of anarcho-fascist groups like Amok Press and Radio Werewolf – and conspiracy theory plays a big role in all these ideologies." ;)

What is with all this left-right-false dichotomy? Since the fall of the wall there are just totalitarians and everybody else.

What is with all this left-right-false dichotomy? Since the fall of the wall there are just totalitarians and everybody else.

Absolutely.
Political left and right have become pretty well meaningless labels.
Totalitarian v libertarian is what matters.

I totally wish I was getting money for being a shill for George Soros, sadly I am not so lucky, and these opinions are merely my own and coming to you for free. But George, if you're listening, call me, I badly need the cash buddy. Will sell out for $$$
It may be a job you can apply for. Not that I'm encouraging you to do so, of course.

It may be a job you can apply for. Not that I'm encouraging you to do so, of course.
;)

C4OeWlVXUAAgHu4.jpg

I believe 'Hakim Bey' wrote that piece quite a while ago....maybe close to 15 or 20 years ago...?
At any rate political labels and conspiracy stuff is all speculation anyway.

I'm just curious...where did you find that cartoon.....is it supposed to be a dig at the left, the right ,or just a dig...and what is the origin of the red and black symbol on the suitcase?

I'm just curious...where did you find that cartoon.....is it supposed to be a dig at the left, the right ,or just a dig...and what is the origin of the red and black symbol on the suitcase?
It's a dig at the right, namely by answering the question of where these paid protester jobs are coming from, do you interview, what kind of qualifications are needed etc. It's the Anarchy symbol on the suitcase.

I saw the comic online, the author's site is https://thenib.com/matt-lubchansky

Thanks....I thought the symbol was familiar.

Of course a proper Conspiracy Theorist (pejorative term) would tell you the Anarchy symbol is nothing less than a representation of the Illuminati Pyramid inside a circle representing the letter ‘O’..... Which is the beginning of the sentence ‘Oh boy! You are so fucked’.

I totally wish I was getting money for being a shill for George Soros, sadly I am not so lucky, and these opinions are merely my own and coming to you for free. But George, if you're listening, call me, I badly need the cash buddy. Will sell out for $$$

You will never annoy the Intersectionals/Woke by accusing them of being Soros stooges but suggesting they are in the pay of the Koch Brothers freaks them out! On Twitter use the hashtag #IntersectionalKochSuckers

I've been accused of being in the pay of MI6. MOSSAD, CIA, Chatham House. If only I was getting all of those cheques!

You will never annoy the Intersectionals/Woke by accusing them of being Soros stooges but suggesting they are in the pay of the Koch Brothers freaks them out! On Twitter use the hashtag #IntersectionalKochSuckers

I've been accused of being in the pay of MI6. MOSSAD, CIA, Chatham House. If only I was getting all of those cheques!
MI6 disinformation even on this board....

^Really...please enlighten us all Titch.
:)

A recently published long-read on the increasing proliferation of conspiracy theories. The article is written from a left-wing perspective and, understandably, spends a chunk of time on current U.S. politics, but there are interesting examples:

Why We Are Addicted to Conspiracy Theories
In January 2015, I spent the longest, queasiest week of my life on a cruise ship filled with conspiracy theorists. As our boat rattled toward Mexico and back, I heard about every wild plot, secret plan and dark cover-up imaginable. It was mostly fascinating, occasionally exasperating and the cause of a headache that took months to fade. To my pleasant surprise, given that I was a reporter travelling among a group of deeply suspicious people, I was accused of working for the CIA only once.
The unshakeable certainty possessed by many of the conspiracy theorists sometimes made me want to tear my hair out, how tightly they clung to the strangest and most far-fetched ideas. I was pretty sure they had lost their hold on reality as a result of being permanently and immovably on the fringes of American life. I felt bad for them and, to be honest, a little superior.
“The things that everyone thinks are crazy now, the mainstream will pick up on them,” proclaimed Sean David Morton early in the trip. “Twenty sixteen is going to be one of those pivotal years, not just in human history, but in American history as well.”
Continued at length:​

Paid protestors are definitely a thing in Hong Kong, on the side of Beijing. Interesting pro-Beijing media also spread disinformation about there being paid protestors on the anti-goverment side (can't find my source for this. A pro-goverment facebook group posted a whatsapp screenshot advertising for paid protestors then took it down when it was proven fake)...

In the recent Ukrainian film Donbass, the action opens with paid witnesses to a bus bombing the Russians have staged, all getting their makeup done before being rushed out to give fake eyewitness reports for the TV cameras. It's based on a true story, as is everything else in the film. So there's the future of news for you.

So CTs may motivate domestic terrorism.

The FBI has officially designated belief in conspiracy theories as a domestic terror threat, according to a previously unreported document discovered and publicized by Yahoo! News this week.

The FBI intelligence bulletin was published in May and specifically identifies fringe conspiracy theories such as Pizzagate and QAnon as potential terror threats for the first time in the Bureau’s history. “The FBI assesses these conspiracy theories very likely will emerge, spread, and evolve in the modern information marketplace, occasionally driving both groups and individual extremists to carry out criminal or violent acts,” the document states. The document lists conspiracy theories regularly featured on cable television and social media, such as the New World Order and HAARP mind control beams, as potential threats.

While experts may disagree on the degree to which conspiracy theories are a driver of domestic extremism rather than a justification for it, the FBI’s identification of conspiracy theories as a risk factor for domestic terrorism should give pause to those in the media who treat these beliefs as “fun” entertainment. The FBI document basically treats conspiracy theories as a method of radicalization, seducing the vulnerable and inflaming their passions, either through their use by domestic terror groups or through self-radicalization via internet exposure. ...

http://www.jasoncolavito.com/blog/f...y-theories-as-a-motivator-for-domestic-terror

...The FBI document basically treats conspiracy theories as a method of radicalization, seducing the vulnerable and inflaming their passions ..

No, I'd better not state the obvious.

INT21 ;)

...The FBI document basically treats conspiracy theories as a method of radicalization, seducing the vulnerable and inflaming their passions ..

No, I'd better not state the obvious.

INT21 ;)
Oh.......please go ahead.

;)

Sorry, I'd probably end up sat on AlchoPwn's place on the naughty step before it even had time to cool off.

:)

Well....I think it's pretty clear that some of these 'domestic terrorists' have conspiracy beliefs or certainly are sympathetic to them.
The recent Al Paso shooter over here had rants relating to some of these things....not sure which specific beliefs but I'm sure it will be in the news soon.
btw..I'm surprised no one has stated a thread on the recent shootings. Is that out of bounds here..?

Well....I think it's pretty clear that some of these 'domestic terrorists' have conspiracy beliefs or certainly are sympathetic to them.
There might be some truth to that, but most conspiracy theorists just talk about it endlessly (like we do here) and never do anything about it.

The thing is, what could one do ?

People believe a conspiracy theory because to their logic it is possible. And often it would appear that they could be right.
But they are often deluded in the basic assumptions.

However, just because some people get offended by the conspiracy doesn't neccessarily mean it isn't true.

It often appears to come down to who has the most to lose if it turns out to be fact.

^ Well...by definition they are conspiracies because if they were indeed true then they would no longer be discussed as consipiracy theories and be in the news as fact.

There might be some truth to that, but most conspiracy theorists just talk about it endlessly (like we do here) and never do anything about it.
That's true...but it only takes one person, incited by someone who has the bully pulpit, to cause deadly damage.

Back