• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Controlled By Somebody From The Past

MrRING

Android Futureman
I saw an episode of The Sixth Sense, Gary Collin's early 70's paranormal investigator TV show. In it, a guy was channelling a concert pianist from the past to play his compositions, but his open spirit also allowed a still-living Jack the Ripper type from the past to possess his mind and kill in the present. Have there been any stories of people claiming they were being controlled by people still living in the past?

The only kind of paranormal story I've heard similar to this is when people claimed possession by the dead to create new art in their style. But they are always considered spirits of the dead, not active control from somebody living in the past.

I'm trying to convince myself I understand the thrust of your query,. If I'm understanding correctly ...

One might (figuratively) say you're asking for examples of situations in which a living person in the past influences someone in the present - i.e., a sort of communication or remote control involving time travel (a bridging or linking between the two parties in two different eras) such that the "transaction" is occurring in "realtime" within each party's respective timeframe.

This would be distinct from cases in which some remanent spirit (whatever) of the past party persists to influence the present / modern party such that both parties to the "transaction" are operating in the same (present; modern) timeframe.

Am I correct in this interpretation?

Yes – it would be like if somebody now reported they were being contacted or controlled by somebody actually still alive in the past, not spirit possession of a dead person. I don’t know if it’s ever been reported, but I thought if it was thought fictionally, maybe there was an odd report or two of this kind of phenomenon.

In a similar vein, I wondered if a group of psychic researchers today tried to create a future phenomenon years from now, could they?

In a similar vein, I wondered if a group of psychic researchers today tried to create a future phenomenon years from now, could they?

That was my thought!

Let's do it!!!!!

Yes – it would be like if somebody now reported they were being contacted or controlled by somebody actually still alive in the past, not spirit possession of a dead person. I don’t know if it’s ever been reported, but I thought if it was thought fictionally, maybe there was an odd report or two of this kind of phenomenon.

Isn't everyone still alive in the past? This is reminding me of the Hammer film Blood from the Mummy's Tomb, where Valerie Leon is a researcher who gets possessed by an Ancient Egyptian Queen. It's not based on a true story.

It sounds a bit like 'God told me to do it, Judge'.

But more Stalin told me to do it.

I'm trying to work out how a living person in the past can be controlling someone who hasn't yet been born. It would seem that they could not be aware of the future existence of the 'possessed'..

Last edited:
Ghost Writing, where someone will claim to be channeling a famous person from the past, would be a form of such. It depends on whether one considers the writing to be controlled by the present spirit of the deceased person, or a connection backwards through time to the living person.

H. P. Lovecraft wrote a story "The Shadow Out Of Time" where people are taken over by alien creatures from the distant past, creatures of thought that regularly leapt forward through time to take over the bodies of future species, at first in small numbers, then eventually wholesale to escape impending disaster. In turn the present person's mind is sent back to the past, with their memory wiped at the end of the swap.

Ghost Writing, where someone will claim to be channeling a famous person from the past, would be a form of such. It depends on whether one considers the writing to be controlled by the present spirit of the deceased person, or a connection backwards through time to the living person. ...

That's why this topic is so slippery ... All you have to do is switch from one version to the other and you unavoidably switch between time travel / timeslip tales and ghost stories. Choosing one versus the other version completely redefines the context.

Back