• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Coronation Street Star Peter Baldwin Reads Ghost Stories

Iamroachford

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Does anyone remember the guy who used to play Derek Wilton on Coronation Street (ashamed as I am to even type that sentence)?? I seem to recall that a number of years ago he had a radio show on a station like Red Rose (Lancashire) or Radio 2 on a Sunday evening. It was on at about 9pm and he used to read one ghost story each time, used to last about 20 mins....

Or am I mad?

You mean Peter Baldwin. I've never heard him read ghost stories but I bet he was great- he has a quiet voice with a rather cultivated northern accent and superb enunciation. Perfect for scaring you silly on t'wireless.

(The ex loves Corrie (and all the UK soaps) so I used to be subjected to them. Derek was great- he was one of those people who try so hard yet constantly fail. His soap death was characteristically tragicomic. He had a fatal heart attack at the side of a lonely road in a company car with a giant paperclip sign on top. I believe he'd been asking the writers to give him time 'out' as actors do and they'd written him out in a humiliating way instead for his cheek. :( )

Scary

Yeah, he almost whispered the stories. God, I wish I could remember more about it. I might have a trawl through some of the search engines to see what I can dredge up. Just hope no-one walks in and finds me looking at Corrie websites, the police will be round and confiscate my PC for looking at offensive material!!!!:D :D :D :D :D

escargot said:
He had a fatal heart attack at the side of a lonely road in a company car with a giant paperclip sign on top.
And a logo on the car saying "Stationary on the Move", whilst Tit Willow from the Mikado was playing on the car stereo. Funny and moving at the same time, perfect Corrie really.

OK, this thread isn't really going in the direction I was hoping it might....:laughing:

Mwahahaha! I'm moulding this thread to my own nefarious ends :devil:

And a logo on the car saying "Stationary on the Move", whilst Tit Willow from the Mikado was playing on the car stereo. Funny and moving at the same time, perfect Corrie really.
Apparently in 2003 I didn't know the difference between stationery and stationary. Now I have a handy mnemonic... E for envelope, A for "Aagh I can't move!"

Now I have a handy mnemonic... E for envelope, A for "Aagh I can't move!"

Brilliant! I will adopt this at once. And go back and check what I've just typed in a different thread.

Back