• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19): Conspiracy Theories & Claims

More and more cases worldwide now, with higher death rates than China is reporting. The Rio Carnival is on right now and if it hits there then I'll be moving to live with the penguins as well. Like I said in an earlier post, poorer nations with large over populated cities are going to suffer if it gets a toe hold.
China has extensive economic investments on the African continent, with many Chinese nationals travelling to African nations as part of the investments.

Tell the penguins I said "hello".

It's starting gain a foothold outside China now. Singapore is reporting 100's of cases and Iran has confirmed 28 cases of which 5 have died so far. It has also been reported that China are now operating 48 crematoriums on a 24/7 basis, they only ever operated 12 hours a day 5 days a week before. Time to start heading for Nebraska me thinks.

Where is this information being reported?

I've seen a lot ot false claims on Reddit and Twitter. Some misleading, others just outright lies.

And, again, could we reserve this thread for conspiracy discussion, please.

I've seen a lot ot false claims on Reddit and Twitter. Some misleading, others just outright lies.

It's being reported in most MSM. Never been near Reddit or Twitter in my life and to my mind the whole thing is a conspiracy :cool2::D

Here's a story from Auntie Beeb. Does that help? :D (edit-oh hang on, did you mean about the crematoriums? Never mind.)

Fears are growing that the coronavirus outbreak could reach pandemic scale as more cases emerge around the world.
Most infections are in China but other nations like South Korea, Italy and Iran are battling the virus, which causes respiratory disease Covid-19.
A pandemic is when an infectious disease spreads easily from person to person in many parts of the world.
Worldwide stock markets saw sharp falls because of concerns about the economic impact of the virus.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-51611422

Nobody I've spoken to in Hong Kong believes the official numbers for cases or death toll within China. They think it is much higher.

Nobody I've spoken to in Hong Kong believes the official numbers for cases or death toll within China. They think it is much higher.
Well the figure coming out of Iran are in line with the model that was published in The Lancet. The city of Qom has 95 confirmed cases and 15 official deaths (there is a higher number quoted by another official there). So call it 15% death rate there, then this shows that the figures coming out of China are total bobbins.

I know there are other variables involved, lack of medicines and such like but such a disparity between the official death rates is suspicious.

It is suspicious, but as I've said on the other Coronavirus thread, the lethality can only be determined as a percentage of deaths from the total number of infections, not the total number of people who have done a test and got a positive result.

You need to have some way of extrapolating a likely total number of infections. Which is challenging when a) symptoms are similar to those of other ailments, b) some people display zero symptoms, c) those with mild symptoms may never report them.

And even when you've got a figure, whatever it is, it will not indicate the chance of any given patient succumbing to the virus. There will be different lethalities for different age-groups, different sexes and perhaps even different races.

And that's before you consider the kind of 'local factors' you mention, like the quality of health care and availability of treatment.

This from a very conspiracy oriented coworker: The coronavirus is 'caused by 5G'. Supporting evidence: Wuhan was one of the first places that 5G was rolled out in the world, and the Diamond Princess has a good 5G connection. I asked how 5G can cause a virus and he said it 'interacts with our cells'.

hmm.

This from a very conspiracy oriented coworker: The coronavirus is 'caused by 5G'. Supporting evidence: Wuhan was one of the first places that 5G was rolled out in the world, and the Diamond Princess has a good 5G connection. I asked how 5G can cause a virus and he said it 'interacts with our cells'.

hmm.

Blimey!

'Ats! 'Ats! Get yer tinfoil 'ats 'ere!

hmm.
At last somebody talking some sense ! :crazy:

At last somebody talking some sense ! :crazy:

I know you said that in jest.

But consider the worry about the proximity of mobile towers and cell phones to people causing potential cancers.

Even my Blackberry, in the manual, suggests not carrying it in a breast pocket.

I doubt very much that this kind of thing will cause the formation of a virus. A virus is, after all, a living thing.

INT21.

... I doubt very much that this kind of thing will cause the formation of a virus. A virus is, after all, a living thing.

No - electromagnetic radiation can not generate a virus in and of itself. However ...

Such radiation could well trigger mutations in previously existing coronaviruses, leading to a viable new form.

Would that not require ionizing radiation?

Apparently not.
It's a very controversial subject. Arguments on both sides.
It may be down to RF localised heating.

If you're interested there is a lot of literature out there.

Just reading the Blackberry book under 'Carrying your device'.

..If you wear the device on your body,always put the device in a holster with an integrated belt clip supplied or approved by Research in Motion (RIM). Carrying solutions, including RIM approved carrying solutions and carrying solutions not approved by RIM, that do not come equipped with an integrated belt clip should not be worn or carried on the body. For more information about carrying your device, including separation distances when wearing your device, see the Safety and Product Information booklet on the Blackberry* User Tools CD that came with your device..

And this is an innocuous ten year old cell phone. The holster they refer to has a steel liner.

Just reading the Blackberry book under 'Carrying your device'.

..If you wear the device on your body,always put the device in a holster with an integrated belt clip supplied or approved by Research in Motion (RIM). Carrying solutions, including RIM approved carrying solutions and carrying solutions not approved by RIM, that do not come equipped with an integrated belt clip should not be worn or carried on the body. For more information about carrying your device, including separation distances when wearing your device, see the Safety and Product Information booklet on the Blackberry* User Tools CD that came with your device..

And this is an innocuous ten year old cell phone. The holster they refer to has a steel liner.
What make's a ten year old cell phone innocuous?

Amazon.com Inc has barred more than 1 million products from sale in recent weeks that had inaccurately claimed to cure or defend against the coronavirus, the company told Reuters on Thursday.
Amazon also removed tens of thousands of deals from merchants that it said attempted to price-gouge customers. The world’s largest online retailer has faced scrutiny over the health-related offers on its platform, and earlier this week Italy launched a probe into surging prices around the internet for sanitizing gels and hygiene masks while it battled the biggest outbreak in Europe.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...ts-for-false-coronavirus-claims-idUSKCN20L2ZH

What make's a ten year old cell phone innocuous?

It is very powerful as a computer, and it does everything I ask of it. Good bit of kit.

But it lacks the large screen pzaz of the I phones.

It is very powerful as a computer, and it does everything I ask of it. Good bit of kit.

But it lacks the large screen pzaz of the I phones.
What does that have to do with my question?

I know you said that in jest.

But consider the worry about the proximity of mobile towers and cell phones to people causing potential cancers.

Even my Blackberry, in the manual, suggests not carrying it in a breast pocket.

I doubt very much that this kind of thing will cause the formation of a virus. A virus is, after all, a living thing.

INT21.

You're all wrong cancer is caused by windmills, we know this to be true because the President of The United States told us so.

You're all wrong cancer is caused by windmills, we know this to be true because the President of The United States told us so.

When was that? I did a quick Google and found his speech saying that the construction and maintaining of wind turbines does have a carbon footprint, and some rambling stuff about killing birds and dropping property values, but nothing about cancer.

Back