• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19): Conspiracy Theories & Claims

Aw... it's a pay-to-read site :/

You can bypass all that nonsense by clicking here:

FT.JPG

and selecting US news.

*Deep breath*
I am all for questioning 'received wisdom' when there is evidence of it being wrong. I also question 'out of the box' thinking when it has questionable evidence or data to support it. "Question everything" means everything - including novel theories as well as orthodox ideas.

This said, I say that there's many questions to be answered about the origin of Covid-19 ... not the existence of it!
However we come against not science but politics. Science deals with facts; politics deals with interpretation and use of facts.
We must also include not fact, or science, but human considerations. Humans are not logical. They can be given a fact and they completely ignore it or even change it to suit themselves.
Humans are the Wildcard of science.
When it comes to the pandemic, we may have differing ideas of how to deal with it, live with it or even eradicate it. But only human nutjobs would say "Well, in the face of evidence we've been given ... it doesn't exist and it's just a reason to ..." etc. etc.
There's a big difference between questioning data for answers and just questioning data 'cause you don't like/don't understand the data.

That's weird. It let me in the first time, but not now.

Try this SKY news report instead, covering similar ground:

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19...ld-health-organization-investigation-12218280
Not a whole lot there. Mostly that Biden and Johnson think China is hiding something, and that China is using political excuses to not hand it over.

Is anyone surprised by this: WHO Finds Original Covid-19 Outbreak in China Was More Widespread Than Reported (msn.com)
I'm not!
Sooo we know the Chinese were lying. We don't know all the specifics of what they were lying about yet.
This said, I say that there's many questions to be answered about the origin of Covid-19 ... not the existence of it!
This is something I've noticed quite a lot. Person a tries to talk about how he finds parts of the official stance on Covid-19 suspect... gets labeled as an anti-masker and Covid-denier before he even explains what he is skeptical about. Yeah... I often suspect that people accusing others of denying the existence of Covid-19 are doing so as a deflectionary tactic, and not because ANYONE is actually saying it doesn't exist.
However we come against not science but politics. Science deals with facts; politics deals with interpretation and use of facts.
We must also include not fact, or science, but human considerations. Humans are not logical. They can be given a fact and they completely ignore it or even change it to suit themselves.
Humans are the Wildcard of science.
When it comes to the pandemic, we may have differing ideas of how to deal with it, live with it or even eradicate it. But only human nutjobs would say "Well, in the face of evidence we've been given ... it doesn't exist and it's just a reason to ..." etc. etc.
There's a big difference between questioning data for answers and just questioning data 'cause you don't like/don't understand the data.
he, like that big discussion we had earlier about the way various entities measure Covid-19 deaths and compile statistics...

That is not about "not understanding" the numbers. That is about having reasons for thinking the numbers are trash.

Is Covid-19 real? probably, Are governments using it as an excuse to do things that would otherwise be a violation of human rights? yes.

The issue is she's been hawking bullshit remedies for a while now, all to line her and her self-serving buddies' already stuffed pockets, and I don't know what the Hell an "infrared" sauna is, but I'm willing to safely bet it has nothing to do with science or health. About as much to do with her vaginal eggs which she was rightly sued for, anyway. They used to call people like her snake oil salesmen. It was not a compliment.

The issue is she's been hawking bullshit remedies for a while now, all to line her and her self-serving buddies' already stuffed pockets, and I don't know what the Hell an "infrared" sauna is, but I'm willing to safely bet it has nothing to do with science or health. About as much to do with her vaginal eggs which she was rightly sued for, anyway. They used to call people like her snake oil salesmen. It was not a compliment.
here-here-icould-notagree-more-mermes-com-14959633.png

Gwyneth "smell my candle" Paltrow accused of spreading dangerous misinformation by claiming that fasting, herbal drinks and saunas can cure long Covid.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/20...-covid-advice-challenged-nhs-england-director

Gwyneth’s Smell My Vagina Candle reportedly nearly set someone’s house on fire.
Gwyneth Paltrow's vagina-scented candle wrought havoc on the life of one British woman when her little bit of mood lighting turned into a roaring blaze.

Jody Thompson of Kilburn, North London told The Sun that she won the anatomically-inspired home good in an online quiz, but got more than she bargained for when she went to light it. “The candle exploded and emitted huge flames, with bits flying everywhere," she said. "I’ve never seen anything like it. The whole thing was ablaze and it was too hot to touch. There was an inferno in the room.” However, eventually, Thompson said she and her partner, David Snow, “We eventually got it under control and threw it out the front door." The media consultant added, “It could have burned the place down. It was scary at the time, but funny looking back that Gwyneth’s vagina candle exploded in my living room.” Thompson also shared photos with the outlet of the aftermath, showing the melted and warped gold label on the black glass container.

Now if a simple bit of aromatherapy from Gwyneth can go so drastically wrong, you have to wonder what frightening side effects the rest of her brainwaves could create.

Gwyneth’s Smell My Vagina Candle reportedly nearly set someone’s house on fire.
It's allegedly a candle... Can you really call it a candle if it's not a fire hazard? I mean by definition a proper candle has a flame. Anything that requires you to light it on fire to use it could in theory burn your house down.

I do feel the "exploded" claim is worth a bit of further investigation though.

Infrared saunas exist - they are much less expensive than real saunas, they just give you a hot little space. So not-a-real sauna.

I was engaging with the article.

Women explains some stuff she does to herself to make herself feel better.

Her business. None of anyone else's.

We are getting very close to the point where anyone expressing views not in line with the authority-approved views are pilloried, castigated and publicly shamed.

This, in my opinion, is not good at best and dangerous at worst.

We are getting very close to the point where anyone expressing views not in line with the authority-approved views are pilloried, castigated and publicly shamed.

I agree that people explaining how they are coping with the symptoms of a particular malady is fine, this becomes an issue when they start recommending it for everyone, not knowing any specifics about individuals and how it may effect them in an adverse way. This is why medicines by law have to list all known side effects listed for their products.

That's putting something of a spin on Paltrow's statement.
I tend to agree with the medical director of NHS that, suggesting that fasting and other esoteric practices are an effective treatment for Covid, is highly irresponsible.
The bottom line is that I would choose to take the NHS' advice ahead of Ms Paltrow's and I believe the only genuine benefit from fasting is weight loss.
Indeed the NHS advice seems to be that it is very important to maintain levels of nutrition if you become infected with Covid.

It's "Hear hear". Not "Here here".

I've been converted to the belief that in order to be a truly authentic meme, some kind of illiteracy must feature.

I've been forwarded homemade ones by friends who clearly know the correct English but have introduced errors ironically.

The favourites, of course, are its/it's, there/their and the grocer's apostrophe.

4zk64f.jpg

Last edited:
The bottom line is that I would choose to take the NHS' advice ahead of Ms Paltrow's and I believe the only genuine benefit from fasting is weight loss.
There is also the benefit of cleaning out the bowels, etc.

I've been converted to the belief that in order to be a truly authentic meme, some kind of illiteracy must feature.

I've been forwarded homemade ones by friends who clearly know the difference but have introduced errors ironically.

The favourites, of course, are its/it's, there/their and the grocer's apostrophe.
Another one is 'teh' instead of 'the'.

I only mentioned it as I saw someone else writing it wrong on this board on the same day.

As for Ms Paltrow, she does have a history of peddling questionable products. That makes it seem like more than just her opinion.

the "Science" behind them detoxifying the body is ropey at best.
It's the same rationale as regular saunas. When you sweat your body excretes certain things, and some of those things are toxins. Thus you are reducing the levels of those toxins in your body. IR "sauna"s are just a different way to induce you to sweat really.

Yes, you could just go jogging until you get hot and sweaty too. That achieves a similar result. So does a really hot bath. Enh the IR bombardment idea might be more convenient for some people.
That's putting something of a spin on Paltrow's statement.
I tend to agree with the medical director of NHS that, suggesting that fasting and other esoteric practices are an effective treatment for Covid, is highly irresponsible.
Indeed the NHS advice seems to be that it is very important to maintain levels of nutrition if you become infected with Covid.
Benefits of "fasting" depend on HOW you do it not just IF you do it. If you are not eating to the point you actually suffer from starvation you're doing it wrong. Proper fasting is actually a method of dietary regulation, and not as simple as "don't eat".... It's about eating the right amount of food overall, and not specific portion sizes.

Saying it again Paltrow peddles untested (or tested and found wanting) snake oil. I appreciate that occasionally she will find something that makes me feel good too, like saunas. She's saying "buy this [from me] or buy my advice on it and you will feel good and it will cure symptoms of long covid. It cured my symptoms. (my emphasis)" Makes her feel good? fine. Anyone silly enough to think that if a known public personality says it makes her feel good, I will buy it from her deserves what they get. She's giving medical advice about a serious syndrome, and some of her advice is dangerous (do not start a fast, which most people believes means don't eat anything, without evaluating your medical condition) and I'm happy to say that if she steps one inch over the line this is actionable in this country by the government and by individuals and I expect it's on the way. And she's was always a non-actress.

Back