Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19): Disinformation, Fake News & Scams

Stormkhan

Disturbingly familiar
Reaction score
Times are hard, chum. A crank pseudoexpert has to make a living, eh?

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
This US news item describes how the UK's struggle with increasing COVID-related misinformation and public polarization is starting to resemble the state of affairs in the USA ( ... and that's not an example one should be emulating).
Covid misinformation takes its toll on British doctors, teachers

British front-line workers who were applauded on doorsteps in the early weeks of the pandemic now confront a torrent of polarization and misinformation.

Doctors, teachers and other exhausted workers say they are feeling incredibly demoralized after reading social media posts insisting Covid-19 is a hoax or overblown. And that has had serious, real-world consequences in recent weeks, with demonstrators picketing hospitals and hurling abuse at health care staff.

Some researchers say the polarization between British people who are sucked in by these ideas and those who aren't is becoming more extreme — and in turn more like the United States. ...

"In the U.K., we can look at the U.S. and take that as a warning sign of where things may be heading if we're not careful enough," said Sander van der Linden, a professor of social psychology in society at the University of Cambridge. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/...es-its-toll-british-doctors-teachers-n1254568

Beresford

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
This US news item describes how the UK's struggle with increasing COVID-related misinformation and public polarization is starting to resemble the state of affairs in the USA ( ... and that's not an example one should be emulating).

FULL STORY: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/...es-its-toll-british-doctors-teachers-n1254568
Don't have the story to hand, but at the weekend it was reported that employers, the Scottish Government and trade unions were working to persuade care workers, and home care workers in particular, to take the vaccine. Unfortunately a significant percentage of this staff group have concerns thanks to lies being spread that the vaccines affect fertility. Home care workers, who are often young women, are in and out several homes a day, caring for some of the most vulnerable in society.

ComradeMalk

Fresh Blood
Reaction score
Hello. I'm new to the Forum. Did anyone else see this?
Yesterday morning (19/01/2021) the BBC interviewed a GP in an item about Covid-19 and the Vaccine. On the Doctor's desk was an eye-test chart. The fourth line of the chart had the letters H O A X.
Now, I don't believe the virus is a hoax, and I don't think this was some kind of secret message, but I would have thought someone at the Beeb might have noticed and removed the chart...

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
I did not see this. I have done a google image search for 'eye test charts' and there are many variations.
None of them appear to have an actual word on any line.
The nearest I could see to what you describe is one in which the first line is a large 'O', and the next line is a not so large 'A X'.

Could you possibly find a screen grab of that interview?

ComradeMalk

Fresh Blood
Reaction score
It was on the BBC 1 Breakfast programme, between 08:00 and 08:30. The BBC only keep one day's Breakfast programme on the iPlayer, so I can't get a screenshot.
I imagine there might be lots of different eye charts, otherwise people would memorise them - consciously or subconsciously.
I did ask my wife to confirm what I saw and she agreed.
I'm hoping someone else also saw it...

Spookdaddy

Cuckoo
Reaction score
It was on the BBC 1 Breakfast programme, between 08:00 and 08:30. The BBC only keep one day's Breakfast programme on the iPlayer, so I can't get a screenshot...
Yep - they only seem to keep the current day's available for catch up. Given the amount of eagle-eyed hoax believers out there, though - I wouldn't be at all surprised if an image turns up somewhere over the next few days. Although I suppose that depends on how long it was in view, and whether it was long enough to get a shot.

Min Bannister

Possessed dog
Reaction score
It was on the BBC 1 Breakfast programme, between 08:00 and 08:30. The BBC only keep one day's Breakfast programme on the iPlayer, so I can't get a screenshot.
I imagine there might be lots of different eye charts, otherwise people would memorise them - consciously or subconsciously.
I did ask my wife to confirm what I saw and she agreed.
I'm hoping someone else also saw it...
It seems to be legit.

https://amhcare.co.uk/shop/accounts/eye-chart-letters-3-metre/

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
It seems to be legit. ...
Good find ... Apparently it really is authentic ...

I find this odd, because this sort of eye chart (a classic Snellen-style chart) is supposed to be crafted to avoid the letters in a row forming any recognizable word(s) that might aid a patient in cheating.

Min Bannister

Possessed dog
Reaction score
Just spotted your link.

So the chart is real. How come the Beeb didn't notice and get rid?
I'd be really surprised if anyone noticed. They will have just Skyped him in or something and I bet no-one was concentrating on the background.

Ghost In The Machine

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

I'll be writing a piece on covid deniers, in the next week, or so, hopefully. Even having to spend a little time dipping into their fetid waters, has made me feel ill. They drank the Kool Aid. Luckily there is nothing I need to infiltrate to write the piece because they are pretty well in plain sight. Idiots. It's not great to think about or spend much time, mentally, on - but someone's gonna have to do it. Even prod them on Twitter you get this explosion of batshittery.

Lb8535

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I'll be writing a piece on covid deniers, in the next week, or so, hopefully. Even having to spend a little time dipping into their fetid waters, has made me feel ill. They drank the Kool Aid. Luckily there is nothing I need to infiltrate to write the piece because they are pretty well in plain sight. Idiots. It's not great to think about or spend much time, mentally, on - but someone's gonna have to do it. Even prod them on Twitter you get this explosion of batshittery.
Give 'em hell, Ghost.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
Someone I know who seems to love this virus so much, I think he should marry it:

Warren:

I learned in pharmacology that a vaccine cannot be mandated unless it is out for at least two years minimum because there needs to be statistical data for side effects on it.

Swifty:

Where did you study pharmacology Warren or have you just cut and pasted something again ? .. like that time you posted as a man from Oregon except you live in Cromer and a few days ago when you posted as an American 19 year old who'd had a stroke from having the vaccine even though you are in your 50's and haven't had the vaccine.

(They grind you down don't they. He was also quoting his "top virologist friend" a few days ago but couldn't tell me the virologist's name, where he works, what his speciality is etc etc. Warren's been unemployed for at least 20 years and busks in bars around the Cromer area)

Good luck with your write up, try not to swear too much ;).

Last edited:

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
Someone I know who seems to love this virus so much, I think he should marry it:

Warren:

I learned in pharmacology that a vaccine cannot be mandated unless it is out for at least two years minimum because there needs to be statistical data for side effects on it.

Swifty:

Where did you study pharmacology Warren or have you just cut and pasted something again ? .. like that time you posted as a man from Oregon except you live in Cromer and a few days ago when you posted as an American 19 year old who'd had a stroke from having the vaccine even though you are in your 50's and haven't had the vaccine.

(They grind you down don't they. He was also quoting his "top virologist friend" a few days ago but couldn't tell me the virologist's name, where he works, what his speciality is etc etc. Warren's been unemployed for at least 20 years and busks in bars around the Cromer area)

Good luck with your write up, try not to swear too much ;).
Keep up the good work Swifty I particularly like how dry your replies are. :D:salute::cool2:

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
DENSA, most likely.
He's asked me to unfriend him tonight .. it's going to be that easy? ... I'm like 'The Inglorious Bastards' when it comes to the ones I can find and "I want my scalps" .. :mad:

I've replied with ..

Here's a picture of you Warren with your arm around Emma Spagnola who's currently in isolation diagnosed and suffering with Covid .. a virus you're encouraging everyone to question because? ..

aemma001.jpg

(Warren's in the middle, she's one of our local council members) .. and as Ghost In The Machine has pointed out, it's poisonous work so I've blocked him for my own benefit to be honest. I'm getting too angry. The youngish looking bloke with the glasses is Tim Addams, our ex Mayor who's been grafting like a hero from the start throughout to provide delivery service networks via volunteers to the vulnerable in our area despite his own problems (including a member of the public punching him). Tim hasn't quit.

Last edited:

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
He's asked me to unfriend him tonight .. it's going to be that easy? ... I'm like 'The Inglorious Bastards' when it comes to the ones I can find and "I want my scalps" .. :mad:

I've replied with ..

Here's a picture of you Warren with your arm around Emma Spagnola who's currently in isolation diagnosed and suffering with Covid .. a virus you're encouraging everyone to question because? ..

View attachment 34106

(Warren's in the middle, she's one of our local council members) .. and as Ghost In The Machine has pointed out, it's poisonous work so I've blocked him for my own benefit to be honest. I'm getting too angry. The youngish looking bloke with the glasses is Tim Addams, our ex Mayor who's been grafting like a hero from the start throughout to provide delivery service networks via volunteers to the vulnerable in our area despite his own problems (including a member of the public punching him). Tim hasn't quit.
So he's not acknowledged that he has been making stuff up?