Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19): Disinformation, Fake News & Scams

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)

Ghost In The Machine

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Someone I know who seems to love this virus so much, I think he should marry it:

Warren:

I learned in pharmacology that a vaccine cannot be mandated unless it is out for at least two years minimum because there needs to be statistical data for side effects on it.

Swifty:

Where did you study pharmacology Warren or have you just cut and pasted something again ? .. like that time you posted as a man from Oregon except you live in Cromer and a few days ago when you posted as an American 19 year old who'd had a stroke from having the vaccine even though you are in your 50's and haven't had the vaccine.

(They grind you down don't they. He was also quoting his "top virologist friend" a few days ago but couldn't tell me the virologist's name, where he works, what his speciality is etc etc. Warren's been unemployed for at least 20 years and busks in bars around the Cromer area)

Good luck with your write up, try not to swear too much ;).
Has Warren got the contract for PPE yet? He sounds a bit overqualified.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Sorcerer's syrup sucks.

Sri Lanka’s health minister, who has faced criticism for consuming and endorsing a herbal syrup made by a sorcerer, has tested positive for Covid-19.

A Health Ministry official confirmed on Saturday that Pavithra Wanniarachchi is the highest-ranking official to be infected with the virus. She and her immediate contacts have been asked to self-quarantine.

Doctors have said there is no scientific basis for the syrup, reportedly containing honey and nutmeg, as a remedy for coronavirus.

Thousands of people formed long queues in the village of Bandara, north-east of the capital, Colombo, in December to obtain the syrup, just days after Ms Wanniarachchi and several other government officials publicly consumed it.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/world/arid-40212821.html

ComradeMalk

Fresh Blood
Reaction score
I'll be writing a piece on covid deniers, in the next week, or so, hopefully. Even having to spend a little time dipping into their fetid waters, has made me feel ill. They drank the Kool Aid. Luckily there is nothing I need to infiltrate to write the piece because they are pretty well in plain sight. Idiots. It's not great to think about or spend much time, mentally, on - but someone's gonna have to do it. Even prod them on Twitter you get this explosion of batshittery.
How about beginning with a neutral stance? I would have thought that would be more Fortean. Listen to the arguments and see if there's any validity, then deconstruct things that don't make sense. That way you won't be accused of prejudice, and you might even persuade some of the deniers of their folly instead of just giving them more to feel aggrieved about.

Ghost In The Machine

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
How about beginning with a neutral stance? I would have thought that would be more Fortean. Listen to the arguments and see if there's any validity, then deconstruct things that don't make sense. That way you won't be accused of prejudice, and you might even persuade some of the deniers of their folly instead of just giving them more to feel aggrieved about.
I'm not writing a Fortean piece or from a Fortean angle - it's elsewhere in the context of a very progressive newspaper. And there is no "validity" in the view of the subjects - I'm talking about people who deny covid even exists. Or think it exists but it's just a bad cold... We're ultimately more intrigued by the politicisation of the whole subject, I guess - the way people broadly on the left are pro-science and that people broadly on the right have been fuelled by QAnon and other similar, to be anti-vaxx, covidiots or covid deniers. Am afraid as someone who writes for a living, I have to do what is wanted by the publishers. But tbh, I'm not looking at sane, educated people - I'm interested in the real batshit end. It's not academic just a "Jesus! These people really exist!"

Nor is it in depth - I am still too ill with long covid to do anything too complex. I just wanna write about the tinfoil hat wearing deniers and maybe touch on where they're coming from - will go into more depth in the future, no doubt.

As for "accused of prejudice" - that's not really relevant. I don't mind what people accuse me of - I write what I write, and am not particularly doing this in a context of scholarly rigour. Personally, I follow the science where possible (possible for me to understand it, I mean). But I'm writing about people who don't - QAnon type anti vaxxers, anti maskers, and the like.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
I'm not writing a Fortean piece or from a Fortean angle - it's elsewhere in the context of a very progressive newspaper. And there is no "validity" in the view of the subjects - I'm talking about people who deny covid even exists. Or think it exists but it's just a bad cold... We're ultimately more intrigued by the politicisation of the whole subject, I guess - the way people broadly on the left are pro-science and that people broadly on the right have been fuelled by QAnon and other similar, to be anti-vaxx, covidiots or covid deniers. Am afraid as someone who writes for a living, I have to do what is wanted by the publishers. But tbh, I'm not looking at sane, educated people - I'm interested in the real batshit end. It's not academic just a "Jesus! These people really exist!"

Nor is it in depth - I am still too ill with long covid to do anything too complex. I just wanna write about the tinfoil hat wearing deniers and maybe touch on where they're coming from - will go into more depth in the future, no doubt.

As for "accused of prejudice" - that's not really relevant. I don't mind what people accuse me of - I write what I write, and am not particularly doing this in a context of scholarly rigour. Personally, I follow the science where possible (possible for me to understand it, I mean). But I'm writing about people who don't - QAnon type anti vaxxers, anti maskers, and the like.
I haven't noticed a large difference between 'lefties' and 'righties' when it comes to how people are dealing with this virus or arguing with it/not dealing with it. A lot of people I know have surprised me and gone up in my estimation, about the same amount have disappointed me and gone down in my estimation .. it's no surprise to me that people with a more nomadic approach to life in general are resisting restrictions and traditional conformists are, well, conforming but only when people are watching. Then there's the third lot I love who are buckling down to it and actually doing what they've been told to, silently and without drawing attention to themselves and at cost to themselves. The last lot are the only ones who will make a difference and also the ones who we'll seldom hear about in the future.

Aurora Newman

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
Air traffic over my way very bad. Lots of extra government planes and drones hovering around the flight path. Also sometimes commercial flights go horizontally accoss the flight path. Saw a flying triangle too, pretty close one night. Then it dipped behind a orange cloud. Found out the mysterious orange clouds is actually Syon Park and Twickenham Stadium.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
This week's Associated Press 'Not Real News' disinfo debunking column includes 1 COVID-related item that's debunked.

WHO did not say COVID-19 test led to case numbers being overstated

CLAIM: The World Health Organization admits that PCR tests to diagnose COVID-19 gave massive false positives, overinflating COVID-19 case numbers.

THE FACTS: A WHO press release is being misrepresented online to say it shows that polymerase chain reaction (PCR) tests for COVID-19 caused large scale false positives. ...

Ghost In The Machine

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I haven't noticed a large difference between 'lefties' and 'righties' when it comes to how people are dealing with this virus or arguing with it/not dealing with it. A lot of people I know have surprised me and gone up in my estimation, about the same amount have disappointed me and gone down in my estimation .. it's no surprise to me that people with a more nomadic approach to life in general are resisting restrictions and traditional conformists are, well, conforming but only when people are watching. Then there's the third lot I love who are buckling down to it and actually doing what they've been told to, silently and without drawing attention to themselves and at cost to themselves. The last lot are the only ones who will make a difference and also the ones who we'll seldom hear about in the future.
Yes, gotta say Swifty, my perception of it has been a bit different but that is maybe because working from home and lockdowns on top, means I'm only seeing this as an online phenomenon where it does seem heavily politicised - and you're out interfacing with actual humanoids..?

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
Yes, gotta say Swifty, my perception of it has been a bit different but that is maybe because working from home and lockdowns on top, means I'm only seeing this as an online phenomenon where it does seem heavily politicised - and you're out interfacing with actual humanoids..?
All year mate, I didn't get furloughed. I felt like Pacman at the start of last year, rolling up aisles and jumping out of the way of customers coming up to me. I work behind screens now and am in full control of what I want to do to keep my customers and staff safe which is a lot more reassuring and much less stressful. I don't have to mix with the public on a shop floor anymore, none of our staff do in fact which is awesome but we can still interact with them in a friendly way. Our regional manager worked with me to install helpful measures. Apart from some personal life bad news, this pandemic jolted me out of a 'hiding from the world' rut I'd deliberately put myself in and back into management.

Ghost In The Machine

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
All year mate, I didn't get furloughed. I felt like Pacman at the start of last year, rolling up aisles and jumping out of the way of customers coming up to me. I work behind screens now and am in full control of what I want to do to keep my customers and staff safe which is a lot more reassuring and much less stressful. I don't have to mix with the public on a shop floor anymore, none of our staff do in fact which is awesome but we can still interact with them in a friendly way. Our regional manager worked with me to install helpful measures. Apart from some personal life bad news, this pandemic jolted me out of a 'hiding from the world' rut I'd deliberately put myself in and back into management.
Well deserved, too.

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
No you won’t waddle like penguins from anal Covid swabs, China says

Chinese authorities have assured residents that a viral video purportedly showing people struggling to walk after having an anal Covid-19 swab is fake.

Footage shows children and adults wearing masks and appearing to waddle like penguins – stiff-legged with their arms spread out – as they leave a hospital or clinic.

The video has been shared widely across China’s popular social media platform Weibo, and it was claimed that the people in the footage had just undergone an anal swab.

The municipal health department and the chief physician of Shijiazhuang No. 5 Hospital said ‘healthy people’ are not tested for Covid-19 with anal swabs, reported the news site.

Anal swabs are only being carried out in the city on patients suffering with diarrhoea, said Shijiazhuang officials.

The test involves a swab being inserted about 3-5cm into the rectum and rotated several times.

‘We found that some asymptomatic patients tend to recover quickly. It’s possible that there will be no trace of the virus in their throat after three to five days,’ said the doctor.

‘But the virus lasts longer from the samples taken from the patient’s digestive tract and excrement, compared to the ones taken from the respiratory tract.

However, CCTV reported that anal swabs will not be used as widely as other methods such as nasal and throat swabs, as the technique was ‘not convenient’.

ComradeMalk

Fresh Blood
Reaction score

Thanks for the reply Ghost. I look forward to seeing the article sometime...

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
This week's Associated Press 'Not Real News' disinfo debunking column includes 1 COVID-related item ...

Post makes false claim about COVID-19 vaccine risk

CLAIM: People may be more susceptible to serious COVID-19 illness after they have been vaccinated.

THE FACTS: An Instagram post with more than 4,000 likes falsely claims that people who receive the COVID-19 vaccine may experience more severe symptoms if they are exposed to the virus. “Studies have warned COVID-19 vaccines may result in more serious disease when exposed to the virus by way of pathogenic priming and immune enhancement,” reads the post, which was shared by Joseph Mercola, a doctor who runs a natural health website. But scientists told The Associated Press that such effects simply haven’t shown up in the data. Research has shown that the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines have been proven to be 95% effective in preventing COVID-19 illness. It is true that some vaccines can, on rare occasions, cause more serious illnesses later, but scientists say that effect – known as antibody-dependent enhancement – has not been seen with COVID-19 vaccines. ...
FULL STORY: https://apnews.com/article/joe-bide...social-media-b2429817de8fd9ab73ce10b6e8e6d352

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
This story falls under the 'scam' category ...
Women dressed as elderly caught trying to get COVID-19 shot

Two women who dressed up to make themselves appear as older adults to get coronavirus vaccinations were turned away and issued trespass warnings in Orlando, officials said.

Dr. Raul Pino, state health officer in Orange County — where Orlando is located — said the women disguised themselves on Wednesday with bonnets, gloves and glasses.

Sheriff’s Office spokeswoman Michelle Guido told the Orlando Sentinel that the women altered their birth years on their vaccination registrations to bypass the state system, which prioritizes people age 65 and older. It appeared that the women had gotten the first shot, but it was unclear where. ...

“Their names matched their registration but not their dates of birth,” she told the newspaper. ...

Guido said the warning means they can’t return to the convention center for any reason -- including a vaccine, COVID-19 test, convention or show. If they do return, they could face arrest. ...
FULL STORY: https://apnews.com/article/women-dresssed-as-grannies-vaccine-shot-5fcd850e27e4a0126f3bd233d4c59f3c