Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19): The Disease & Its Spread (Per Se)

Lb8535

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
The NHS produces a report later in the year to cover the previous period March - March, so when that is published we will have the full figures for all deaths from all things in the UK for 2020/2021 (plus a whole load of other info relating to the NHS treatments, admissions, etc etc).

You will see the NHS reports that I link to give a total daily count of deaths attributed to C19, and the various tabs on the bottom of the spreadsheet show the data in different ways (age, race, sex etc).
It also has a summary spreadsheet for the entire period since March 2020.

But it still applies that it is a simple fact that if you treat a certain group (whether that by age, sex, race...whatever) for something, whatever that might be, that if that treatment is effective then you would see the ratio of incidence (of that thing you've treated for) within that group, decreasing.
And we aren't, or at least, not significantly enough so as to put it beyond doubt.
Yes but is the data that organized? It will be interesting if the entire pool decreases in number during the period, which given that the xmas uptick is over (or it is here), and the per centages stay the same, or just what the hard data is doing.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
Newly announced research results suggest loss of taste and smell lingers for an average of 5 months in COVID-19 patients.
Loss of Sense of Smell and Taste May Last Up to 5 Months After COVID-19 Infection

People with COVID-19 may lose their sense of smell and taste for up to five months after infection, according to a preliminary study released today, February 22, 2021, that will be presented at the American Academy of Neurology’s 73rd Annual Meeting being held virtually April 17 to 22, 2021.

“While COVID-19 is a new disease, previous research shows that most people lose their sense of smell and taste in early stages of the illness,” said study author Johannes Frasnelli, M.D., of the University of Quebec at Trois-Rivieres in Canada. “We wanted to go further and look at how long that loss of smell and taste lingers, and how severe it is in people with COVID-19.”

The study involved 813 health care workers who tested positive for COVID-19. Each person completed an online questionnaire and home test to evaluate their sense of taste and smell on average five months after diagnosis. They rated their senses of taste and smell on a scale from 0 to 10. Zero meant no sense at all, and 10 meant a strong sense of taste or smell. Researchers found the average person did not regain their sense of smell entirely. ...
FULL STORY: https://scitechdaily.com/loss-of-se...last-up-to-5-months-after-covid-19-infection/

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
Newly reported, but not yet peer-reviewed and published, research indicates the 'California variant' is more contagious and may be more resistant to current vaccines.
'Homegrown' California coronavirus variant is more contagious and possibly deadlier

The variant, known as B.1.427/B.1.429, may also be more resistant to current vaccines, early data suggests.

Scientists in California are increasingly worried about the state's "homegrown" coronavirus variant, with studies now showing that the variant is more transmissible than earlier strains and may be more resistant to current vaccines, according to news reports.

The variant, known as B.1.427/B.1.429, first emerged in California last spring but didn't show up on scientists' radar until this winter, when cases of the variant rapidly took off in the state, according to The New York Times. However, scientists weren't sure if the variant was indeed more contagious than previous strains or if it became more common simply by chance — for instance, through a few superspreading events.

In a new study, which has not yet been published in a peer-reviewed journal, researchers analyzed 2,172 virus samples collected in California between September 2020 and January 2021. They found that although the variant hadn't yet shown up in September, by January, it had become the predominant variant in California, with cases doubling every 18 days, The New York Times reported.

What's more, lab studies found that the variant was 40% better at infecting human cells compared with earlier strains, according to The New York Times. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.livescience.com/california-coronavirus-variant-contagious.html

Lb8535

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Yes absolutely of course it is - this is England old chap!
The home of queueing, cricket, and carrying an umbrella on a sunny day just in case it rains later.
of course but I meant does it present in a way that can be easily analysed. In covid so far not much.

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
Well, it's written in English, on clearly labelled spreadsheets, so....I would say....yes.

It wouldn't be of much use if it was presented in hologram form as a series of pictograms, with Haiku descriptions written in Sanskrit, would it.

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
The newly emergent and rapidly proliferating New York variant exhibits two mutations to the coronavirus spike proteins that are worrisome ...
New coronavirus variant in NYC has vaccine-evading mutation

A new coronavirus variant with concerning mutations is on the rise in New York City, according to news reports.

This latest coronavirus variant, dubbed B.1.526, first emerged in New York in November 2020, and it now accounts for about 25% of coronavirus genomes that were sequenced from New York in February and posted to a global database called GISAID ...

Researchers at the California Institute of Technology identified B.1.526 after looking through that database for mutations in the virus's spike protein, or the structure that allows the virus to bind to and enter human cells. The researchers have posted their findings, which have yet to be peer-reviewed, to the preprint database bioRxiv.

Two "branches" or versions of the B.1.526 lineage exist, both with worrisome mutations. One branch has a mutation called E484K, which has also been seen in other coronavirus variants, including those identified in South Africa and Brazil. This mutation may reduce the ability of certain antibodies to neutralize, or inactivate, the virus, and may help the coronavirus partially evade COVID-19 vaccines ... The other branch has a mutation called S477N, which may help the virus bind more tightly to cells ...
FULL STORY: https://www.livescience.com/new-coronavirus-variant-new-york-city.html

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome news for facilitating the vaccination campaign ... After further research the US FDA has now approved storage of the Pfizer vaccine at temperatures commonly maintained in pharmacy freezers. The vaccine is apparently acceptably stable for up to 2 weeks at these temperatures, thus reducing the previous requirement to keep the vaccine stored at ultra-cool temperature.
Huge News: US Officials Approve Pfizer Vaccine Storage at Normal Freezer Temperatures

Frozen vials of Pfizer's COVID-19 vaccine may be stored at temperatures commonly found in pharmaceutical freezers for a period of up to two weeks, the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) said Thursday.

The move loosens a previous requirement that the vaccine should be stored at ultra-low temperatures, between -112 and -76 degrees Fahrenheit (-80 to -60 degrees Celsius).

"The alternative temperature for transportation and storage will help ease the burden of procuring ultra-low cold storage equipment for vaccination sites and should help to get vaccine to more sites," said Peter Marks, director of the FDA's Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research.

The FDA said it would update its fact sheet for health care providers accordingly. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.sciencealert.com/us-just-approved-pfizer-vaccine-storage-at-normal-freezer-temperature

Vardoger

I'm #1 so why try harder
Reaction score
Welcome news for facilitating the vaccination campaign ... After further research the US FDA has now approved storage of the Pfizer vaccine at temperatures commonly maintained in pharmacy freezers. The vaccine is apparently acceptably stable for up to 2 weeks at these temperatures, thus reducing the previous requirement to keep the vaccine stored at ultra-cool temperature.

FULL STORY: https://www.sciencealert.com/us-just-approved-pfizer-vaccine-storage-at-normal-freezer-temperature
Which would make distribution ten times easier and faster.

Vardoger

I'm #1 so why try harder
Reaction score
Norway had a peak of 729 positive cases yesterday, third highest since they started with the statistics. The English mutation is taking over and seems to be more contagious.

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
This newly published study indicates COVID-19 can damage the heart by viral invasion and replication within heart tissues.
Research Reveals How COVID-19 Can Kill Heart Muscle Cells, Interfere With Contraction

A new study from Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis provides evidence that COVID-19 patients’ heart damage is caused by the virus invading and replicating inside heart muscle cells, leading to cell death and interfering with heart muscle contraction. The researchers used stem cells to engineer heart tissue that models the human infection and could help in studying the disease and developing possible therapies.

The study is published on February 26, 2021, in the Journal of the American College of Cardiology: Basic to Translational Science. ...

“Our study is unique because it definitively shows that, in patients with COVID-19 who developed heart failure, the virus infects the heart, specifically heart muscle cells.” ...

They also showed that this cell death and loss of heart muscle fibers can happen even in the absence of inflammation. ...
FULL STORY: https://scitechdaily.com/research-r...eart-muscle-cells-interfere-with-contraction/

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
Here are the bibliographic details and abstract / summary from the published research report. The full report is accessible via the link below.

Adam L. Bailey, Oleksandr Dmytrenko, Lina Greenberg, Andrea L. Bredemeyer, et al.
SARS-CoV-2 Infects Human Engineered Heart Tissues and Models COVID-19 Myocarditis
JACC: Basic to Translational Science
2021, ISSN 2452-302X,
https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacbts.2021.01.002.

Abstract: Summary

There is ongoing debate as to whether cardiac complications of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) result from myocardial viral infection or are secondary to systemic inflammation and/or thrombosis. We provide evidence that cardiomyocytes are infected in patients with COVID-19 myocarditis and are susceptible to severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2. We establish an engineered heart tissue model of COVID-19 myocardial pathology, define mechanisms of viral pathogenesis, and demonstrate that cardiomyocyte severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 infection results in contractile deficits, cytokine production, sarcomere disassembly, and cell death. These findings implicate direct infection of cardiomyocytes in the pathogenesis of COVID-19 myocardial pathology and provides a model system to study this emerging disease.
Keywords: cardiomyocyte; coronavirus disease 2019; engineered heart tissue; myocarditis; severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2

SOURCE (And Access To Full Report):
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2452302X21000127

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Not casualties as such but interesting information regarding Covid-19 patients. with worrying trends among cancer and asthma cases.

New data shows almost three-quarters of all Covid-19 patients in Ireland had no underlying conditions, up from just over half by December.

The data, collected by the Health Protection Surveillance Centre, shows 73.1% of Covid-19 patients to January 31 had no chronic illness. Up to December, this figure was 58%. People with an underlying condition make up 14.4% of the total now, and another 12.5% are unknown or unreported. The HPSC does not say what caused this change.

One significant difference in the Irish Covid-19 landscape compared to December is the spread of the more transmissible UK B117 variant. In early January, this was being found in one in four cases, and continued to spread.It is now at 91% and is referred to as the dominant strain by Nphet. ...

The figures show 1,876 cancer patients developed Covid-19, accounting for 6.6% of cases who have an underlying condition. Cancer patients made up 15% of all patients with underlying conditions going to ICU, and 17% of deaths. ...

The HPSC report on underlying conditions shows asthma patients accounted for 659 cases, or 2.3%, of patients with underlying conditions. But 138 of them had to go to ICU, which is 14.8% of all patients with underlying conditions needing this level of care. ...

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40237760.html

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Fat lot of good the vaccine will be if you're obese. World Obesity Federation? I bet it's archenemy is the International Lard Council.

Hundreds of thousands of Covid-19 deaths could have been avoided if the obesity epidemic had been tackled, the World Obesity Federation has said.

Obesity has been linked to a higher risk of severe Covid-19 and death from the disease. A World Obesity Federation report claims that about nine in 10 Covid-19 deaths have occurred in countries with high obesity rates. The report, which has analysed obesity rates in countries around the world as well as Covid-19 deaths, also says that the death rate is 10 times higher in countries where 50% or more of the population is overweight. The authors said that 2.2 million of the 2.5 million global deaths were in countries with high levels of obesity. They added that countries with low levels of obesity do not have high death rates, but other factors could also be at play.

The World Health Organisation said the report should act as a "wake-up call" for governments to tackle their obesity problems.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40237211.html

Cochise

Priest of the cult of the Dog with the Broken Paw
Reaction score
Not casualties as such but interesting information regarding Covid-19 patients. with worrying trends among cancer and asthma cases.

New data shows almost three-quarters of all Covid-19 patients in Ireland had no underlying conditions, up from just over half by December.

The data, collected by the Health Protection Surveillance Centre, shows 73.1% of Covid-19 patients to January 31 had no chronic illness. Up to December, this figure was 58%. People with an underlying condition make up 14.4% of the total now, and another 12.5% are unknown or unreported. The HPSC does not say what caused this change.

One significant difference in the Irish Covid-19 landscape compared to December is the spread of the more transmissible UK B117 variant. In early January, this was being found in one in four cases, and continued to spread.It is now at 91% and is referred to as the dominant strain by Nphet. ...

The figures show 1,876 cancer patients developed Covid-19, accounting for 6.6% of cases who have an underlying condition. Cancer patients made up 15% of all patients with underlying conditions going to ICU, and 17% of deaths. ...

The HPSC report on underlying conditions shows asthma patients accounted for 659 cases, or 2.3%, of patients with underlying conditions. But 138 of them had to go to ICU, which is 14.8% of all patients with underlying conditions needing this level of care. ...

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40237760.html
I thought that the chemotherapy drugs used in cancer treatment damage the immune system? I seem to recall such from my wife's illness, but we are talking over a decade ago so i could be wrong.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
I thought that the chemotherapy drugs used in cancer treatment damage the immune system? I seem to recall such from my wife's illness, but we are talking over a decade ago so i could be wrong.
It might explain why they are over-represented in ICU treatment and death incidents.

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
'Chemo' covers a variety of drugs and regimens. It's true that both chemotherapy and radiotherapy had long been associated with compromised or suppressed immune systems. As time goes on both approaches have been refined and / or supplemented with additional measures intended to ameliorate or avoid damage to the patient's immune system. That doesn't mean today's regimens are 'immune-safe', but it's reasonable to say they're generally less 'immune-destructive' than they once were.

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Covid-19: San Diego zoo apes given experimental vaccine

Several great apes at San Diego Zoo have been given an experimental Covid-19 vaccine designed for animals after an outbreak among gorillas there.

Four orangutans and five bonobos each had two doses of a jab made by Zoetis, a veterinary pharmaceutical firm.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-56288542

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Covid-19: San Diego zoo apes given experimental vaccine

Several great apes at San Diego Zoo have been given an experimental Covid-19 vaccine designed for animals after an outbreak among gorillas there.

Four orangutans and five bonobos each had two doses of a jab made by Zoetis, a veterinary pharmaceutical firm.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-56288542
Good luck trying to get them to wash their hands, wear masks and practise social distancing.

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
According to the Mirror:

Anal coronavirus swabs are now compulsory for anyone arriving in China, despite objections from foreign governments.

The 'humiliating' tests require inserting a cotton swab 3 to 5 centimetres (1.2 to 2.0 inch) into the anus and gently rotating it.

Beijing claims it is a more effective way to detect Covid, but critics say it has left people suffering from 'psychological distress'.

The swab tests were previously used in areas of China that had suffered outbreaks, however they are now being extended to airports, including in Beijing and Shanghai.

Infectious disease doctor Li Tongzeng said virus traces in anal swabs and faecal samples could remain detectable for a longer time than in samples taken from the upper respiratory tract.

marhawkman

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
yeah this is one of those things where it's A way to test... not sure if it's a GOOD way to test.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
(This and following posts transplanted here from the Royal News thread ... )

Prince Phillip is dead! (Conspiracy Theory - calm down) ...
Over 100,000 dead from covid and we're expected to observe mourning for one person.
More the 100,000 dead from covid? .. over 500,000 last time I checked and that was a couple of months ago but that's 'OK' because it was 'with' covid and not 'of' covid apparently ?.. as someone here eloquently and bluntly put it about someone he'd lost , ... he didn't die of the hand grenade but died with it .. legend.

Last edited by a moderator: