Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19): The Disease & Its Spread (Per Se)

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
A handful of panicking states shouldn't be permitted to derail the vaccination programme.
This is all down to the human tendency to attribute a causal effect between different events, even when no such effect exists.
The international vaccination campaign is not in immediate danger of being derailed. Each sovereign nation is responsible for conducting its own vaccination program within its own jurisdiction and for the (presumed) benefit of its own citizens.

There's a growing set of cases in multiple nations that share two characteristics: some sort of severe blood clotting condition and this condition's occurrence after receiving the AstraZeneca vaccine. Any national authority's decision to suspend use of that particular vaccine pending clarification on a possible causal relationship is each and every national authority's business.

Let's just hope there's a quick resolution to the question of whether there's any previously unidentified risk (perhaps only to certain types of individuals) in using the AstraZeneca vaccine.

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Can't find any evidence to support that claim either.
1st hit I got on the BBC website tonight was to an article only 8 hours old entitled "What is the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine"

I reckon most people find it quicker and easier to type Oxford than AstraZeneca.

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Can't find any evidence to support that claim either.
1st hit I got on the BBC website tonight was to an article only 8 hours old entitled "What is the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine"

I reckon most people find it quicker and easier to type Oxford than AstraZeneca.
There were at least 2 seperate news stories on red button using O-A-Z

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
That doesnt appear to be true, i just photographed this from the bbc red button

View attachment 36743
I would speculate that when discussing medical issues and developmental stage, they're employing the Oxford version, but when it comes to matters of supply and marketings (and problems of), they're going with the corporate element.

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
BBC News article from 30 minutes ago reports "Vaccine safety experts from the World Health Organization (WHO) are meeting on Tuesday to review the Oxford-AstraZeneca jab, after several European countries halted their rollouts."

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
BBC News article from 30 minutes ago reports "Vaccine safety experts from the World Health Organization (WHO) are meeting on Tuesday to review the Oxford-AstraZeneca jab, after several European countries halted their rollouts."
Precisely.

Stormkhan

Disturbingly familiar
Reaction score
Well, I'm just off for my A-Z vaccination.
I have a history of thrombosis but I'm not actually worried. Since the roll-out here, we'd have noticed if there was a problem. Methinks there are other factors involved with the stories, not to mention the scaremongering that sells news.
I'll keep y'all updated.

Stormkhan

Disturbingly familiar
Reaction score
I must add that there persists a strange assumption that one nations population equates to another.
Not based on race, but attitudes and social settings. Diets, exposure, even religious convictions are different and may affect statistics.

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
I have a history of thrombosis but I'm not actually worried. Since the roll-out here, we'd have noticed if there was a problem. Methinks there are other factors involved with the stories, not to mention the scaremongering that sells news.
I'll keep y'all updated.
I'm sure you'll be absolutely fine.
A slightly achy arm for 24 hours is a small price to pay for 90%+ protection against Covid.

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I'll keep y'all updated.
The problem you get is that if any thing happens to anyone after having a vaccination, some will assume its got to be down to the jab, if there were a spate of people getting killed by buses after having had the vaccination they would probably blame the jab for that, most countries that have suspended the AZ vac are in arse covering mode

Ringo

Musky Sly Old Foxy Stoat
Reaction score
I think it's something like 17 million doses of the O/AZ vaccine have been administered in the EU. And yesterday I read that 37 cases of suspected blood clots have been reported. That's 1 in 425,000.

So even if the vaccination is the direct cause of the blood clots, then the actual chances of it happening are far, far lower than ever would be required for the vaccine to stop being used. ALL medicines and vaccines have side-effects, including very serious/dangerous ones. It doesn't mean that the medicine stops getting used, only that certain people should avoid it. So by correlating the cases it may come to light that these people all share a common factor OR it may just be the luck of the draw.

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I think it's something like 17 million doses of the O/AZ vaccine have been administered in the EU. And yesterday I read that 37 cases of suspected blood clots have been reported. That's 1 in 425,000.

So even if the vaccination is the direct cause of the blood clots, then the actual chances of it happening are far, far lower than ever would be required for the vaccine to stop being used. ALL medicines and vaccines have side-effects, including very serious/dangerous ones. It doesn't mean that the medicine stops getting used, only that certain people should avoid it. So by correlating the cases it may come to light that these people all share a common factor OR it may just be the luck of the draw.
The cases reported so far are ‘much lower’ than what would be expected to naturally occur in a general population of this size and is similar to other licensed COVID-19 vaccines, according to AZ.

http://www.pharmatimes.com/news/azs...e_of_an_increased_risk_of_blood_clots_1365240

Lobeydosser

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
Unless I've just stepped in from a different Universe the 6 o'clock news last night on the BBC news channel spent the whole bulletin referring to it as AstraZeneca all reference to Oxford was gone and it was (at least to me) quite a jarring change to how they (at least when I've been watching) have been referring to it up to now - I've never heard of it referred to as just AstraZeneca by the BBC on air before last night.
Checking the website tonight it's a mix in the main story https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-56412784 , so go figure. But, it was very noticeable by it's absence in the whole bulletin last night , hence my post.

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Unless I've just stepped in from a different Universe the 6 o'clock news last night on the BBC news channel spent the whole bulletin referring to it as AstraZeneca all reference to Oxford was gone and it was (at least to me) quite a jarring change to how they (at least when I've been watching) have been referring to it up to now - I've never heard of it referred to as just AstraZeneca by the BBC on air before last night.
Checking the website tonight it's a mix in the main story https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-56412784 , so go figure. But, it was very noticeable by it's absence in the whole bulletin last night , hence my post.
A similar thing happened last week when the story about the stabbing in the takeway in Wales disappeared from the bbc news feeds then returned later.

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Moderna begins testing Covid-19 vaccine on babies and young children

The US drug company Moderna has begun studying its Covid-19 vaccine in children aged six months to 11 years old.

Moderna is the first US manufacturer to test its vaccine on infants.

The company plans to enrol some 6,750 children in the US and Canada for the trial.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-56422415

Vardoger

I'm #1 so why try harder
Reaction score
Norway is in its 3rd and so far worst wave. We had 1150 new cases yesterday. Worst day so far. Thanks to the vaccination of the oldest, there's no increases in deaths so far, but hospitalizations are skyrocketing.

Last edited:

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Norway is in its 3rd and so far worst wave. We had 1150 new cases yesterday. Worst day so far. Thanks to the vaccination of the oldest, there's no increases in deaths so far, but hospitalizations are skyrocketing.
How is the vaccination process progressing?

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Rather slow, With 8.4% having gotten the first shot and 4.8% having gotten the second shot. We vaccinate according to what vaccines the EU gives us.
I hope you are looking after yourself and keeping safe

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Reaction score
Norway is in its 3rd and so far worst wave. We had 1150 new cases yesterday. Worst day so far. Thanks to the vaccination of the eldest, there's no increases in deaths so far, but hospitalizations are skyrocketing.
take care! :oldm:

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Not good news on the vaccine

Covid: NHS warns of 'significant reduction' in vaccines

The NHS has warned of a "significant reduction in the weekly supply" of Covid vaccines in England next month in a letter to local health organisations.

The letter says there has been a "reduction in national inbound vaccines supply" and asks organisations to "ensure no further appointments are uploaded" to booking systems in April.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-56435549

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Moderna begins testing Covid-19 vaccine on babies and young children

The US drug company Moderna has begun studying its Covid-19 vaccine in children aged six months to 11 years old.

Moderna is the first US manufacturer to test its vaccine on infants.

The company plans to enrol some 6,750 children in the US and Canada for the trial.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-56422415
Hmmm. Is that legal? Or moral?

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Hmmm. Is that legal? Or moral?
Its in the US so i suppose they have to legally abide by the usual rules, as for morally, it depends on your point of view, to get total population immunity, children will have to be vaccinated so i suppose there have to be human trails.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
A baby born in Florida seems to be the first newborn confirmed to have received COVID-19 antibodies from a vaccinated mother. This, combined with results from a study in Israel, indicates vaccinating pregnant mothers may indirectly impart antibodies to their babies.
Florida woman gives birth to 1st known baby with COVID-19 antibodies, doctors say

A baby born in Florida has reportedly become the first in the world to be born with COVID-19 antibodies after her mother was given the COVID-19 vaccine while pregnant.

WPBF reports the unidentified baby girl was born in late January in Palm Beach County.

“To our knowledge, this was the first in the world that was reported of a baby being born with antibodies after a vaccination,” Dr. Paul Gilbert told the news station.

Gilbert and Dr. Chad Rudnick said the child’s mother was a frontline health care worker who was given the Moderna vaccine at 36 weeks pregnant. ...

According to a new study in Israel, pregnant women who are vaccinated against the virus could pass along protection to their babies.

Researchers from Jerusalem’s Hadassah- University Medical Center said 20 women were given both doses of the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine in February, during their third trimester of pregnancy, and antibodies were detected in all 20 women and in their babies, through placental transfer. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.wfla.com/community/heal...wn-baby-with-covid-19-antibodies-doctors-say/