Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19): The Disease & Its Spread (Per Se)

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
A follow-up study on frontline US health care workers confirms the Pfizer and Moderna efficacy rates obtained from the preliminary emergency use evidentiary trials.
Pfizer and Moderna COVID-19 vaccines are 90% effective in 'real-world' study

Two doses of either the Pfizer or Moderna COVID-19 vaccine were 90% effective at preventing infection with the coronavirus that causes COVID-19 in a "real world" study of U.S. health care and frontline workers.

The study, from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), also found that a single dose of either vaccine was 80% effective at preventing infections with the virus.

The results, published Monday (March 29) in the CDC journal Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, are consistent with earlier clinical trial data on the vaccines. ...

FULL STORY: https://www.livescience.com/covid-19-vaccine-pfizer-moderna-effective-real-world.html

Vardoger

I'm #1 so why try harder
Reaction score
Biden’s CDC director, Rochelle Walensky, has claimed the U.S. is on the edge of “ doom” as covid cases rise 10% in a few days.

Most states have relaxed covid rules and mask requirements showing no interest in what the CDC is saying.
Americans should thank the NFG states later for that.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
Biden’s CDC director, Rochelle Walensky, has claimed the U.S. is on the edge of “ doom” as covid cases rise 10% in a few days.

Most states have relaxed covid rules and mask requirements showing no interest in what the CDC is saying.

“Just over two weeks after Texas Gov. Greg Abbott lifted coronavirus mandates allowing businesses to operate at 100 percent capacity and made masks optional, the state is still reporting decreases in cases and hospitalizations.

While Texas reported decreased caseloads, the nation reported a 7% increase over the previous week...”

https://www.foxnews.com/us/texas-covid-numbers-decrease-17-days-after-mask-other-restrictions-lifted

“In Florida, which has had no statewide mask mandates or restrictions on businesses, more than 1.9 million cases and over 32,000 deaths have been reported.

On the other hand, California, which has continue to impose much stricter restrictions on businesses and has a statewide mask mandate, the data shows similar case and death counts.”

https://www.newsweek.com/florida-se...nia-despite-no-statewide-restrictions-1576211

maximus otter

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
“Just over two weeks after Texas Gov. Greg Abbott lifted coronavirus mandates allowing businesses to operate at 100 percent capacity and made masks optional, the state is still reporting decreases in cases and hospitalizations.

While Texas reported decreased caseloads, the nation reported a 7% increase over the previous week...”

https://www.foxnews.com/us/texas-covid-numbers-decrease-17-days-after-mask-other-restrictions-lifted

“In Florida, which has had no statewide mask mandates or restrictions on businesses, more than 1.9 million cases and over 32,000 deaths have been reported.

On the other hand, California, which has continue to impose much stricter restrictions on businesses and has a statewide mask mandate, the data shows similar case and death counts.”

https://www.newsweek.com/florida-se...nia-despite-no-statewide-restrictions-1576211

maximus otter
Again we are comparing states with massively different population sizes

Florida pop. 21.48m
California pop. 39.51m

Percentage wise Floridas death rate is almost double that of California

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score

Did she included quantifiable criteria for assessing 'doom'?

If not, she's wasting a lot of people's time.

Rhetoric like this just offers hostages to fortune and risks public incredulity.

People need to hear specifically what 'doom' looks like or they're picturing meteor strikes and lakes of fire.

Vardoger

I'm #1 so why try harder
Reaction score
"Just" another wave is not enough for people to call it doom.

Stormkhan

Disturbingly familiar
Reaction score
Ah, the joys of the US political system, which proudly defies any connection to unity. "We're all united ... but not!"

charliebrown

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Today U.S. CDC released a statement that in 2020, covid was the number three killer behind number one heart disease and

number two cancer.

Also, in Washington State, 100 fully vaccinated people are sick again from covid.

With 1.2 million people fully vaccinated in Washington State, supposedly this is acceptable.

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Today U.S. CDC released a statement that in 2020, covid was the number three killer behind number one heart disease and

number two cancer.

Also, in Washington State, 100 fully vaccinated people are sick again from covid.

With 1.2 million people fully vaccinated in Washington State, supposedly this is acceptable.
If the vaccine gives a 90% immunity, out of 1.2m people you would expect 120,000 people potentially to be reinfected so 100 is pretty low

Last edited:

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
This article provides a basic overview of what the medical community knows (so far ... ) about side effects from the vaccine. Here (below) is a list of the 5 main points.

Here's What COVID-19 Vaccine Side Effects to Expect Based on Your Age, Sex, And Dose

While doctors can't predict exactly how someone will respond to a coronavirus vaccine, they've identified a few patterns based on a person's age, sex, health status, and which dose they're receiving. ...

Dose two usually comes with more severe side effects ...
People who've had COVID-19 may develop more side effects after dose 1 ...
Younger adults may feel more run-down after their shots than older people ...
Women can expect more side effects in general ...
Most high-risk medical conditions won't lead to stronger side effects ...

FULL STORY: https://www.sciencealert.com/it-s-time-to-get-your-covid-vax-here-s-some-side-effects-you-can-expect

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
If the vaccine gives a 90% immunity, out of 1.2m people you would expect 120,000 people potentially to be reinfected so 100 is pretty low

No. Statistical error there.
If the vaccine gives a 90% immunity, out of 1.2m people you would expect 120,000 people to be not immune, therefore leaving them open to being infected.
If the average infection rate for the population is between 1% - 2%, then that would be between 1200 - 2400, so 100 is indeed pretty low, but not as low as the error would indicate.
Plus you need to take into account that the 100 are the ones known about - you would also need to add on those that are not showing symptoms, and those that are not identified (as in, didn't get tested, or didn't 'present' to a doctor etc).
It still won't be as high as 1200 even though.

charliebrown

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
According to CNN, four thousand people are dying daily in Brazil and President Bolsonaro is accused of showing no interest or care.

The new variant in Brazil P. 1 seems to be more deadly.

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
Newly reported analyses indicate the so-called "UK Variant" (B117) was spreading internationally at least 2 months prior to its being "discovered" as a distinct variant.
Highly Contagious Coronavirus Variant Spread Across the Globe – Undetected for Months – Before Its Discovery

A highly contagious SARS-CoV-2 variant was unknowingly spreading for months in the United States by October 2020, according to a new study from researchers with The University of Texas at Austin COVID-19 Modeling Consortium. Scientists first discovered it in early December in the United Kingdom, where the highly contagious and more lethal variant is thought to have originated. The journal Emerging Infectious Diseases, which has published an early-release version of the study, provides evidence that the coronavirus variant B117 (501Y) had spread across the globe undetected for months when scientists discovered it.

“By the time we learned about the U.K. variant in December, it was already silently spreading across the globe,” said Lauren Ancel Meyers, the director of the COVID-19 Modeling Consortium at The University of Texas at Austin and a professor of integrative biology. “We estimate that the B117 variant probably arrived in the U.S. by October of 2020, two months before we knew it existed.” ...

FULL STORY: https://scitechdaily.com/highly-con...e-undetected-for-months-before-its-discovery/

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
It seems as if UV radiation deactivates the COVID-19 virus much faster than previously believed, and researchers are anxious to find out how this happens and whether it can be applied to help manage the virus.
Sunlight Inactivates Coronavirus 8 Times Faster Than Predicted. We Need to Know Why

A team of scientists is calling for greater research into how sunlight inactivates SARS-CoV-2 after realizing there's a glaring discrepancy between the most recent theory and experimental results.

UC Santa Barbara mechanical engineer Paolo Luzzatto-Fegiz and colleagues noticed the virus was inactivated as much as eight times faster in experiments than the most recent theoretical model predicted.

"The theory assumes that inactivation works by having UVB hit the RNA of the virus, damaging it," explained Luzzatto-Fegiz.

But the discrepancy suggests there's something more going on than that, and figuring out what this is may be helpful for managing the virus. ...

FULL STORY: https://www.sciencealert.com/sunlig...er-than-predicted-and-we-need-to-work-out-why

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
In addition to this Nebraska farmer approximately 40 other Americans have undergone lung transplants as a result of COVID-19 damage.
The Latest: Nebraska rancher’s virus-damaged lungs replaced

A 31-year-old Nebraska cattle rancher is recovering after doctors replaced his coronavirus-damaged lungs.

The Lincoln Journal-Star reports that Jake Immink, of Fairbury, got sick around Halloween and wound up hospitalized on a ventilator for months. His lungs were so damaged that his only chance for a fairly normal life was a double-lung transplant.

He underwent the surgery March 20 after losing weight and building up strength. He put his new lungs to the test this week, walking a mile and a half. ...

Doing transplants for patients whose lungs are damaged by an acute illness is rare, although it has become more common because of COVID-19. Strah said she’s aware of about 40 that have been done since the start of the pandemic, but Immink’s was the first in Nebraska.

Immink said he wants to be a cautionary tale to people who may not think COVID-19 is a big deal, and he encouraged everyone to get vaccinated as soon as they can. ...

FULL STORY: https://apnews.com/article/manila-p...irus-vaccine-ce43df515fe1da377afd87651ceda3ab

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
deadliest-pandemics-visualized.jpg

maximus otter
Troube with this is that we can't compare viruses with other viruses and also the timings make a huge difference. For example, when the Black Death hit Britain first time round in 1348, it came after severe food shortages and bad winters, so a lot of the population was already weakened and suffering from malnutrition, if not starvation. Pretty much ANY nasty bug hitting our shores under those conditions would have killed large numbers.

Ghost In The Machine

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
This article provides a basic overview of what the medical community knows (so far ... ) about side effects from the vaccine. Here (below) is a list of the 5 main points.

Here's What COVID-19 Vaccine Side Effects to Expect Based on Your Age, Sex, And Dose

While doctors can't predict exactly how someone will respond to a coronavirus vaccine, they've identified a few patterns based on a person's age, sex, health status, and which dose they're receiving. ...

Dose two usually comes with more severe side effects ...
People who've had COVID-19 may develop more side effects after dose 1 ...
Younger adults may feel more run-down after their shots than older people ...
Women can expect more side effects in general ...
Most high-risk medical conditions won't lead to stronger side effects ...

FULL STORY: https://www.sciencealert.com/it-s-time-to-get-your-covid-vax-here-s-some-side-effects-you-can-expect
Yes, that's in line with my experience and my family's - the people who didn't have covid (so far) - had little reaction to vaccination - just at the injection site. Those of us who had covid (suspected as we all had it before there was testing available for all but the hospitalised), all had fevers, chills and various other full on covid symptoms 12 hours or so after first jab (all AZ as in the UK apart from a relative in Group 4, clincically extremely vulnerable who got Pfizer. He had no real reaction apart from feeling a bit off for a day - he never had covid ).

Duration of side effects in us varied from 24 hours to, in my case, about 5 or 6 days. But I'm the only one in the family with long covid.

I haven't had the improvement in my LC symptoms some others are experiencing but remain hopeful as some people are seeing symptoms lift after the 2nd jab - I'm up for that at start of June. Fingers crossed.

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
Yes, that's in line with my experience and my family's - the people who didn't have covid (so far) - had little reaction to vaccination - just at the injection site. Those of us who had covid (suspected as we all had it before there was testing available for all but the hospitalised), all had fevers, chills and various other full on covid symptoms 12 hours or so after first jab (all AZ as in the UK apart from a relative in Group 4, clincically extremely vulnerable who got Pfizer. He had no real reaction apart from feeling a bit off for a day - he never had covid ).

Duration of side effects in us varied from 24 hours to, in my case, about 5 or 6 days. But I'm the only one in the family with long covid.

I haven't had the improvement in my LC symptoms some others are experiencing but remain hopeful as some people are seeing symptoms lift after the 2nd jab - I'm up for that at start of June. Fingers crossed.

That's interesting, Ghost, thank you.

I know my friend who had the nasty side effects from the vaccine DEFINITELY hasn't had Covid, she's been shielding because of her son, who also hasn't had Covid. I am far more likely to have had it without realising, but I had no effects. Most of the people who've said to me 'you only get side effects if you've had Covid' are those who never tested positive for it but 'just had a feeling' they'd had it.

Trevp666

Reaction score
An update on 'yellow card' reports.

"As of 21 March 2021, for the UK, 40,883 Yellow Cards have been reported for the Pfizer/BioNTech, 99,817 have been reported for the Oxford University/AstraZeneca vaccine, and 379 have been reported where the brand of the vaccine was not specified.
For both vaccines the overall reporting rate is around 3 to 6 Yellow Cards per 1,000 doses administered."

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...irus-vaccine-summary-of-yellow-card-reporting

Ghost In The Machine

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
That's interesting, Ghost, thank you.

I know my friend who had the nasty side effects from the vaccine DEFINITELY hasn't had Covid, she's been shielding because of her son, who also hasn't had Covid. I am far more likely to have had it without realising, but I had no effects. Most of the people who've said to me 'you only get side effects if you've had Covid' are those who never tested positive for it but 'just had a feeling' they'd had it.
Yes, there's a wide range and many who had covid have no reaction and vice versa but it is something some research has picked up.
https://www.gavi.org/vaccineswork/w...more-common-people-whove-already-had-covid-19

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score

charliebrown

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
The U.S. CDC now says the British variant is now what is infecting people in the American.

This also changed the dynamics as now 30 and 40 years old are now getting sick.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
Outdoor transmission accounts for 0.1% of [Ireland's] Covid-19 cases

Just 262 cases traced to outdoor activities since pandemic began, official figures reveal.

Of the 232,164 cases of Covid-19 recorded in the [Republic of Ireland] up to March 24th this year, 262 were as a result of outdoor transmission, representing 0.1 per cent of the total.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ire...s-for-0-1-of-state-s-covid-19-cases-1.4529036

maximus otter

Trevp666

Reaction score
Current England and Wales deaths are below the 5 year average again, for the third week in a row now.

The ONS announced today that there were 10,045 deaths registered in England and Wales in the week ending March 26th. This is 266 fewer than the previous week (which was the lowest since 2014 for that week). In addition, this week’s number is 5% below the five-year average, and marks the third consecutive week of “negative excess deaths”. Here’s the chart from the ONS:
1617959850669.png

Source https://lockdownsceptics.org/todays-update/

charliebrown

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Wednesday in Colorado 1,700 people got Johnson & Johnson causing 11 people to get ill.

It was determined that this 0.8 % was acceptable and not to be concerned.

Thursday in Chapel Hill, North Carolina, 26 people got sick, and 4 had to go to hospital from J&J.

Today 8 people got sick from J&J in Georgia and Georgia stopped the vaccinations.

J&J statement is that their vaccine is completely safe.

The CDC says they are not concerned.

Trevp666

Reaction score
“Weekly summary of UK Yellow Card reporting”
As of March 28th, there were 43,491 Yellow Cards reported for the Pfizer/BioNTech jab (10.9 million first doses administered), and 116,162 for the Oxford University/AstraZeneca vaccine (19.5 million first doses).
Adverse reactions included anaphylaxis, bell’s palsy and thromboembolic events
https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...irus-vaccine-summary-of-yellow-card-reporting

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
Initial / un-reviewed / unpublished survey testing results from Israel suggest the Pfizer vaccine is not as effective against the South African variant as it is against other prevalent variants. However, these results are tentative owing to a number of factors.
South African variant can 'break through' Pfizer vaccine, Israeli study says

The coronavirus variant discovered in South Africa can “break through” Pfizer/BioNTech’s COVID-19 vaccine to some extent, a real-world data study in Israel found, though its prevalence in the country is low and the research has not been peer reviewed. ...

The study, released on Saturday, compared almost 400 people who had tested positive for COVID-19, 14 days or more after they received one or two doses of the vaccine, against the same number of unvaccinated patients with the disease. It matched age and gender, among other characteristics.

The South African variant, B.1.351, was found to make up about 1% of all the COVID-19 cases across all the people studied ...

But among patients who had received two doses of the vaccine, the variant’s prevalence rate was eight times higher than those unvaccinated - 5.4% versus 0.7%.

This suggests the vaccine is less effective against the South African variant, compared with the original coronavirus and a variant first identified in Britain ...

“We found a disproportionately higher rate of the South African variant among people vaccinated with a second dose, compared to the unvaccinated group. This means that the South African variant is able, to some extent, to break through the vaccine’s protection,” said Tel Aviv University’s Adi Stern.

The researchers cautioned, though, that the study only had a small sample size of people infected with the South African variant because of its rarity in Israel. ...

FULL STORY: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...izer-vaccine-israeli-study-says-idUSKBN2BX0JZ

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
"The risk of two vaccinated people catching Covid from meeting up indoors is “tiny”, scientists have calculated, with just a one in 400,000 chance of picking up an infection.

Last week, Boris Johnson warned that people should not be allowing others into their homes, even if they had both had the vaccine.

But Professor Tim Spector, at King’s College London, has calculated that the risk of catching a symptomatic infection is around one in 400,000 for two people who have been vaccinated – which is far less than the risk of developing a blood clot from the AstraZeneca jab. "

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...d-people-catching-covid-meeting-indoors-tiny/

maximus otter