Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19): The Disease & Its Spread (Per Se)

Ghost In The Machine

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
This is interesting. I specially like this bit (Scargy will too):

"...Eight people who had already had Covid-19 had a very strong immune response after a dose of vaccine – a nearly 700-fold increase in antibodies and four-fold in T-cells. “Previous natural infection really enhances the immune responses to the vaccine but all patients should still receive the two vaccines,” said Parry."

https://www.theguardian.com/society...produces-strong-antibody-response-study-shows

This is particularly interesting - as it seems AZ may have a much better response at a T cell level - the other, at antibody:

"...One possibility for the future is that vaccines could be “mixed and matched”, so that people could have one jab that elicits a stronger cellular response and one that produces a higher antibody count. A trial looking at combining these two vaccines in this way has just been extended to include the Moderna and Novavax jabs as well..."

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
The latest disruption in the vaccination campaign is the suspension of Janssen / Johnson & Johnson vaccinations pending review of at least 6 deaths involving blood clots (analogous to the effects encountered with the AstraZeneca vaccine).
US recommends ‘pause’ for J&J shots in blow to vaccine drive

The U.S. on Tuesday recommended a “pause” in use of the single-dose Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine to investigate reports of rare but potentially dangerous blood clots, setting off a chain reaction worldwide and dealing a setback to the global vaccination campaign.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the Food and Drug Administration announced that they were looking into unusual clots in six women between the ages of 18 and 48. One person died.

The acting FDA commissioner expected the pause to last only a matter of days. But the decision triggered swift action in Europe and elsewhere as the drugmaker, regulators and providers moved to halt the use of the J&J vaccine, at least for now.

J&J said in a statement that it was aware of the reports of blood clots, but that no link to its vaccine had been established. However, the company said late Tuesday it would delay the rollout of its vaccine in Europe and pause new vaccinations in its trials that are still underway until it can update its guidance on how to proceed.

Hundreds of thousands of doses were due to arrive in European countries, where vaccinations have been plagued by supply shortages, logistical problems and concerns over blood clots in a small number of people who received the AstraZeneca vaccine, which is not yet cleared for use in the U.S. ...

FULL STORY: https://apnews.com/article/us-pause...clot-reports-2dde2aacf486bab59844ef907a28cbce

See Also:

J&J vaccine to remain in limbo while officials seek evidence
https://apnews.com/article/cdc-johnson-johnson-vaccine-blood-clot-0b726cc1007ce3cbe374f5eb8b48ce8b

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Ancient coronavirus

An ancient coronavirus, or a closely related pathogen, triggered an epidemic among ancestors of present-day East Asians roughly 25,000 years ago, a new study indicates.

Analysis of DNA from more than 2,000 people shows that genetic changes in response to that persistent epidemic accumulated over the next 20,000 years or so, David Enard, an evolutionary geneticist at the University of Arizona in Tucson, reported April 8 at the virtual annual meeting of the American Association of Physical Anthropologists. The finding raises the possibility that some East Asians today have inherited biological adaptations to coronaviruses or closely related viruses.

The discovery opens the way to exploring how genes linked to ancient viral epidemics may contribute to modern disease outbreaks, such as the COVID-19 pandemic. Genes with ancient viral histories might also provide clues to researchers searching for better antiviral drugs, although that remains to be demonstrated.

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/ancient-coronavirus-epidemic-east-asia-dna-covid

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
A trial has found that a drug commonly used to treat asthma, can speed up covid recovery at home and may reduce hospital admissions

"A cheap drug, commonly used to treat asthma, can help people at home recover more quickly from Covid-19, a UK trial has found.
Two puffs of budesonide twice a day could benefit many over-50s with early symptoms around the world, said the University of Oxford research team."

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-56717486

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Ancient coronavirus

An ancient coronavirus, or a closely related pathogen, triggered an epidemic among ancestors of present-day East Asians roughly 25,000 years ago, a new study indicates.

Analysis of DNA from more than 2,000 people shows that genetic changes in response to that persistent epidemic accumulated over the next 20,000 years or so, David Enard, an evolutionary geneticist at the University of Arizona in Tucson, reported April 8 at the virtual annual meeting of the American Association of Physical Anthropologists. The finding raises the possibility that some East Asians today have inherited biological adaptations to coronaviruses or closely related viruses.

The discovery opens the way to exploring how genes linked to ancient viral epidemics may contribute to modern disease outbreaks, such as the COVID-19 pandemic. Genes with ancient viral histories might also provide clues to researchers searching for better antiviral drugs, although that remains to be demonstrated.

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/ancient-coronavirus-epidemic-east-asia-dna-covid

How do they arrive at a date of 25,000 years ago from taking DNA samples of 2,000 people today?

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
How do they arrive at a date of 25,000 years ago from taking DNA samples of 2,000 people today?

At the link they go into great detail on how they arrived at their conclusions.

If that isn't enough:

Questions or comments on this article? E-mail us at [email protected]

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
A new report out suggests that you are more at risk of developing a serious brain blood clot if you catch covid 19 than getting one as a result of any vaccination.

"The risk of developing a serious brain clot - known as a cerebral sinus vein thrombosis(CVST) - is 8 to 10 times higher in people with Covid than those who get a vaccine, a study suggests.

Based on US data, the Oxford research team says people being vaccinated should be reassured by the findings."

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-56760163

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
At the link they go into great detail on how they arrived at their conclusions.

If that isn't enough:

Questions or comments on this article? E-mail us at [email protected]

I read the link but it didn't explain that as far as I could see. Do we have human DNA from 25,000 years ago? If not, how can a coronavirus be dated to that age?

I can't be arsed to email them to be honest - I'll take their word for it. Interesting info whatever, many countries from that area have done well in the current version.

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
The details of this multi-pronged analysis require referring to the published research article:

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.11.16.385401v2.full

Here's a quick 'n dirty summary of (my understanding about) what these researchers basically did:

First phase:

- identify a set of proteins affected by COV-SAR RNA virus infections;
- identify the genomic sites / genes / whatever that would represent adaptation in response to the infections (as evidenced in protein-specific genetic elements);
- check a variety of human population genomes for significant signs of COV-SAR protein adaptations presumed to represent residual responses to COV-SAR virus infections (or infection by some unknown virus / viruses exploiting the very same proteins).

This led to identification of significant traces of COV-SAR specific protein adaptations in certain east Asian populations (as opposed to any sampled population elsewhere). Next ...

Second phase:

- apply ancestral recombination graph techniques to estimate the time depth required to account for the target population's protein adaptations.

The result was an estimated start time for widespread genetic adaptation on the order of 900 generations ago (circa 20K - 25K years before now).

charliebrown

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Dr. Fauci was ask about the spring surge in the U.S. and other countries like India and Chile.

The states have reported a 10 % or more increases in cases.

Dr. Fauci claimed that there are different reasons such as variants, a person’s health, and if the vaccine really worked for that person’s immune system.

This has cause Pfizer’s CEO, Albert Bouria to claim people need a third shot.

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Dr. Fauci was ask about the spring surge in the U.S. and other countries like India and Chile.

Dr. Fauci claimed that there are different reasons such as variants, a person’s health, and if the vaccine really worked for that person’s immune system.

Or all the people partying during spring break could be a reason for the surge in the US, all the religious festivals attracting millions of worshippers in India, not sure about Chile.

charliebrown

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Serium India Institute or SII makes 60% of the worlds covid vaccine.

SII announced today we have run out of vaccine stores.

WHO depends on India’s vaccine, says that is bad news.

India has announced also they are struggling trying to stop the virus in India.

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
Serum India Institute or SII makes 60% of the worlds covid vaccine. ...

Well, no ... India generally produces about 60% of all vaccines that are distributed worldwide, and SII is the largest producer in India. This figure relates to ordinary / established vaccines of all types and the huge client population outside the USA, China, Russia and the EU.

To get an idea about relative national production figures as of early March (the latest available figures) see:

https://www.statista.com/chart/24492/total-covid-19-vaccine-production-by-country/

India (overall; not just SII) ranks 4th in COVID vaccine production behind China, the USA and Germany / Belgium.

Last edited:

Vardoger

I'm #1 so why try harder
Reaction score

He would say that wouldn't he... :evil:

But yes, he's probably right we need an updated vaccine shot for all the new variants.

Beresford

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
He would say that wouldn't he... :evil:

But yes, he's probably right we need an updated vaccine shot for all the new variants.
There has been talk in the UK of a booster jab being administered from October (I think - I could be a month or so out).

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
There has been talk in the UK of a booster jab being administered from October (I think - I could be a month or so out).
I would not be suprised to hear that the government will announce there is to be a yearly jab for covid, just for the old and vulnerable, in the same way they do a flu jab atm

charliebrown

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
WHO reported last week was a all time as 5.2 million cases of covid were discovered.

Boris Johnson cancelled his trip to India as that country can not get a headway on the virus.

WHO warned that countries should not get complacent.

WHO also warned that the virus is now going after age group 25 to 59 for the first time.

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
Enough Americans have been vaccinated to provide a basis for estimating the rate at which fully vaccinated people might still be infected - albeit in a mild, asymptomatic way.
CDC: Limited, mild COVID-19 cases seen among vaccinated people

Twenty-two residents and staff members at 15 Chicago-area skilled nursing facilities developed COVID-19 infections more than 14 days after receiving a second dose of the coronavirus vaccine, according to data released Wednesday by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

These cases were reported among the nearly 15,000 residents and staff members across 75 facilities considered "fully vaccinated," meaning they had received both doses of either the Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna inoculations, the agency said. ...

Nearly two-thirds of these cases were asymptomatic, or mild illness with no outward symptoms, the data showed.

"The results in this report highlight the importance of COVID-19 vaccination in high-risk congregate settings such as skilled nursing facilities," the CDC researchers wrote.

RELATED EU regulator says warning should come with J&J COVID-19 vaccine
"Most fully vaccinated persons were not infected, did not have COVID-19-like symptoms, and did not have severe illness," they said.

Fewer than 6,000 cases of COVID-19 have been reported among the more than 84 million people in the United States who were fully vaccinated as of earlier this week, CDC Director Dr. Rochelle Walensky said Monday.

That figure amounts to 0.007% of the fully vaccinated population, she said. ...

FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Health_News/2021/04/21/coronavirus-vaccine-infections-cdc/2801619014120/?ur3=1

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Catastrophic news for our feline friends.

Scottish scientists have identified two cases where humans are thought to have passed Covid-19 to their cats.

Researchers at the University of Glasgow said both cats developed the virus after their owners. They were of different breeds and lived in separate households. One displayed mild symptoms but the other had to be put down.

Scientists now want to improve understanding of whether pets can play a role in infecting humans. The cases were found as part of a screening programme of the feline population in the UK. Researchers believe both pets were infected by their owners, who had Covid-19 symptoms before the cats became unwell.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-56821770

Ghost In The Machine

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Catastrophic news for our feline friends.

Scottish scientists have identified two cases where humans are thought to have passed Covid-19 to their cats.

Researchers at the University of Glasgow said both cats developed the virus after their owners. They were of different breeds and lived in separate households. One displayed mild symptoms but the other had to be put down.

Scientists now want to improve understanding of whether pets can play a role in infecting humans. The cases were found as part of a screening programme of the feline population in the UK. Researchers believe both pets were infected by their owners, who had Covid-19 symptoms before the cats became unwell.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-56821770
My dog literally refused to leave my side the whole time I was ill - day or night. She only left me to go to the toilet or to eat. Otherwise sat on top of me/next to me, for a few weeks. I mentioned this on a long covid board, shortly after and there was a big response from other people with covid who said they'd noticed their dogs had got extra clingy. And we've been ill before and she's always been more clingy when someone is ill but this was above and beyond the usual levels. Made me wonder if she caught it from me.

I 'spect cats aren't all like that, though. My old cat was very unaffectionate - but she also would sit with the kids when they were ill. So if it's zoonotic between cats or dogs and people, there should have been a fair few ill cats and dogs by now.

I'd read they have few if any symptoms, dunno if that's true.

Lb8535

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
My dog literally refused to leave my side the whole time I was ill - day or night. She only left me to go to the toilet or to eat. Otherwise sat on top of me/next to me, for a few weeks. I mentioned this on a long covid board, shortly after and there was a big response from other people with covid who said they'd noticed their dogs had got extra clingy. And we've been ill before and she's always been more clingy when someone is ill but this was above and beyond the usual levels. Made me wonder if she caught it from me.

I 'spect cats aren't all like that, though. My old cat was very unaffectionate - but she also would sit with the kids when they were ill. So if it's zoonotic between cats or dogs and people, there should have been a fair few ill cats and dogs by now.

I'd read they have few if any symptoms, dunno if that's true.
In the US the reports are that cats can catch it - presumably from people and from each other - but the symptoms are those of a mild respiratory illness, which cats do get. Very few cases reported, but including some lions in the Bronx Zoo. I was surprised to read above about the cat who died (or was euthanized).

charliebrown

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
The J and J review pause has put insecurity in the American public.

The CDC reports people coming back for their second shot are just not coming back for the other vaccines.

The number could be 8% or about 5 millions of people refusing to come back.

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
A new study has found that a single dose of covid 19 vaccine cut the transmission rate to unvaccinated people.

"Those given a first dose of either the Pfizer or AstraZeneca vaccines - and who became infected three weeks later - were between 38% and 49% less likely to pass the virus on than unvaccinated people, PHE found.

Health Secretary Matt Hancock described the study's results as "terrific news"."

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-56904993

Ogdred Weary

Very Naughty Boy
Reaction score
A new study has found that a single dose of covid 19 vaccine cut the transmission rate to unvaccinated people.

"Those given a first dose of either the Pfizer or AstraZeneca vaccines - and who became infected three weeks later - were between 38% and 49% less likely to pass the virus on than unvaccinated people, PHE found.

Health Secretary Matt Hancock described the study's results as "terrific news"."

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-56904993

So you have the vaccine and someone else doesn't get it? Is it like homeopathy?