• Server Outage Announcement

Hello, Everyone.
    We will be installing an update to XenForo (the forums software), and doing some server maintenance.
    Consequently, the forums will be unavailable from about 12 - 2 MDT / 2 - 4 EDT / 6 - 8 GMT on Sunday 9th May 2021.

Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19): The Disease & Its Spread (Per Se)

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Some kind of herd immunity among younger people has developed?
Im not 100% sure but i think.i read that all of the people who attended the gig were tested negative for covid before they were allowed in, so its understandable that there were few cases reported afterwards.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
Im not 100% sure but i think.i read that all of the people who attended the gig were tested negative for covid before they were allowed in, so its understandable that there were few cases reported afterwards.
Wouldn’t that make it a non-headline, then?

People who didn’t have virus at 2000hrs before entering “sealed environment”, don’t have virus at 2300 hrs after leaving it.”

maximus otter

Ghost In The Machine

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Some kind of herd immunity among younger people has developed?
Not likely. UK's biggest outbreak is a few miles from my house. People are saying locally it's almost entirely people who work in this warehouse, who have got covid, (or presumably, their families, despite what it says here) and:

"The majority of the workforce are aged between 20 and 35 and haven’t had a vaccine..."

https://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/19265151.clipper-logistics-selby-criticised-covid-outbreak/

charliebrown

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
The University of California and Salk Institute claims covid is not a respiratory disease but a vascular disease.

Covid destroys the endothelial cells and mitochondria.

This is why the symptoms are so varied.

AnonyJoolz

Captainess Sensible
Reaction score
Having-a-nice-cup-of-tea-and-a-sit-down-shire
Nepal is copping a major hit after being only slightly affected for a whole year - many of you know I have family there.

It's such a tough place to live - earthquakes, monsoon floods and landslides are regular; currently wildfires are breaking out and now Cov-19. My heart aches for my second home.

The people are tough too, however, and the culture is so different to India - Nepal is poorer than India by a significant degree but also much more humane IME. People will take care of each other a bit more than in, say, Delhi. An elderly person would never be left to live on the street, for example. I have hopes that culture will prevail over fear and graft bakshish.

Even the Nepalese health minister has basically said that they can't and won't be able to cope very well in terms of hospital care and medical oxygen, and they need help: https://www.nepalitimes.com/latest/our-health-system-cant-contain-the-pandemic/

https://www.theguardian.com/global-...adly-covid-wave-similar-to-india-doctors-warn

"On Thursday, the capital, Kathmandu, went into a two-week lockdown, as the health minister, Hridayesh Tripathi, warned that a second wave was hitting the country that was “more contagious and lethal”. Speaking to the Nepali Times, Tripathi said Nepal’s healthcare system “can’t contain the pandemic”...."The cases are increasing so fast that the country’s healthcare system cannot cope. We request everyone to be sensible,” read a statement issued by the government. "

The Nepali Times also has some photos of Kathmandu's major ring road in lockdown:

From https://www.nepalitimes.com/banner/lockdown-2-0/

What it's normally like (been there in it myself!):

Kathmandu's Traffic Chaos: Vehicles stuck in major road sections

(edited for typos)

Last edited:

Ghost In The Machine

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
The University of California and Salk Institute claims covid is not a respiratory disease but a vascular disease.

Covid destroys the endothelial cells and mitochondria.

This is why the symptoms are so varied.
Think they've been saying that here in the UK for over a year, now.

Stormkhan

Disturbingly familiar
Reaction score
Science is still learning about it, the more we learn the better treatment.
I feel that there is a lack of ... understanding? That the best defence against a virus is medical science but it - like any science - is not perfect? The general public want and generally do trust medical experts but what they cannot really understand is when medical experts admit a lack of knowledge. They want certainty. "I am ill, the doctor sees me and know what it is. They treat me. Happy ever after."
Trouble is, real life isn't as simple as the movies have made out.

charliebrown

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
The UK announced that anyone over 50 years will be eligible for a third covid vaccination in the fall.

The Pfizer company has really pushed for a third vaccination saying it is necessary to win over the covid.

In the U.S. Pfizer has launch a third shot campaign.

AnonyJoolz

Captainess Sensible
Reaction score
Having-a-nice-cup-of-tea-and-a-sit-down-shire
I would hope that the UK does what it can to help Nepal.
We owe them a debt for the Gurkhas.
Without getting into the dreaded 'P' subject - all I can say is that the UK government has reduced the foreign aid budget recently.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
Early on during the pandemic there were claims that Vitamin D might mitigate the worst effects of COVID-19 and reduce the risk of severe complications, hospitalizations and / or death. A newly reported study from Brazil failed to find solid support for these claims.
High Dose of Vitamin D Fails to Improve Condition of Moderate to Severe COVID-19 Patients

A clinical trial was conducted with 240 patients who were given 200,000 IU of vitamin D3 on admission to hospital. The supplementation did not reduce length of stay or affect the proportion requiring intensive care.

Can a high dose of vitamin D administered on admission to the hospital improve the condition of patients with moderate or severe COVID-19? The answer is no, according to a Brazilian study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA).

The article reports a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical trial, the kind of study considered the gold standard to evaluate drug efficacy. It was conducted with FAPESP’s support by researchers at the University of São Paulo’s Medical School (FM-USP), who recruited 240 patients treated at Hospital das Clínicas (HC), the hospital complex run by FM-USP, and the Ibirapuera field hospital in São Paulo City in June-August 2020. ...

The main purpose was to see if acute supplementation would affect the length of hospital stay for these patients, but the researchers also wanted to find out whether it would mitigate the risks of admission to the intensive care unit (ICU), intubation and death.

No significant difference between the groups was observed for any of these clinical outcomes. ...
FULL STORY:
https://scitechdaily.com/high-dose-...tion-of-moderate-to-severe-covid-19-patients/

PUBLISHED REPORT:
“Effect of a Single High Dose of Vitamin D3 on Hospital Length of Stay in Patients With Moderate to Severe COVID-19A Randomized Clinical Trial”
Igor H. Murai, Alan L. Fernandes, Lucas P. Sales, Ana J. Pinto, et al.
17 February 2021, JAMA.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
Youth Pay a High Price for Covid Protection

Leaders’ greatest failure was not focusing on the elderly, who had lower costs and far greater benefits.

Now that the Covid-19 pandemic seems to be abating, it’s a good time to look at lessons that observers have, or should have, learned. The list of mistakes is long, but the most glaring was the failure to understand and act on the virus’s propensity to attack the old and vulnerable.

Some clear thinking based on data that were available last spring would have led to two insights:

a) The benefits of protecting the old and vulnerable exceed the costs.

b) Second, the costs of protecting the young and healthy exceed the benefits.

The global average infection fatality rate of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes Covid-19, is roughly 0.23%.

Underneath this average, the infection fatality rate increases exponentially with age. For an 85-year-old it may be 2,000 times as high as for an 18-year-old.

Paywalled, unfortunately: https://www.wsj.com/articles/youth-...-protection-11620078943?mod=opinion_lead_pos5

"...they calculated the expected life years lost from infection for different age groups. Using this, the researchers estimated the value gained, on average, from mitigation measures for individuals of different age groups.

They weighed this against the costs of mitigation measures, which include “reduced schooling, reduced economic activity, increased substance abuse, more suicides, more loneliness, reduced contact with loved ones, delayed cancer diagnoses, delayed childhood vaccinations, increased anxiety, lower wage growth, travel restrictions, reduced entertainment choices, and fewer opportunities for socializing and building friendships.”

The result?

Hooper and Henderson conclude that—only looking at economic, not social costs—mitigation efforts cost young people $102,000 but only preserved an average of 7.5 hours of life per individual."

https://fee.org/articles/costs-of-c...89-of-population-health-researchers-conclude/

maximus otter

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
A small comparative study of young adults suggests negative cardiovascular effects of COVID-19 infection are common and likely to be long-lasting in this otherwise healthy and robust age group.
Young Adults Who've Had COVID-19 Show Signs of Lasting Cardiovascular Damage

... Young adults who show only minor symptoms of COVID-19 may still suffer lingering changes to their blood vessels, according to a small new study.

While the SARS-CoV-2 primarily impacts the lungs and is particularly dangerous for older people, growing research suggests it also leaves a lasting mark on the cardiovascular system, even among young people and those who experience only mild symptoms.

In the most recent study, scientists compared the vascular health of 30 young adults, half of whom had tested positive for COVID-19 about a month before and half of whom were in good health.

Analyzing ultrasound recordings of their pumping arteries, the team found a significant difference between both groups.

Even though no one had been hospitalized, the arteries of those who contracted COVID-19 three to four weeks ago were stiffer and less elastic than the healthy group.

The carotid artery, which carries blood to the brain, was 27 percent less able to swell and 22 percent less elastic on average. The aortic artery, which carries blood to the heart, was also affected.

It's unclear how these blood vessels looked before the participants contracted COVID-19, which is a limitation, but given that researchers couldn't have predicted the start of a global pandemic, they substituted those comparisons with data from healthy individuals.

The sample size is small, but the initial findings reinforce the idea that COVID-19 is not something to be trifled with. Even if you're young and healthy, and even if you barely got sick from the virus, the impact to your cardiovascular health could last long after your symptoms fade. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.sciencealert.com/young-...9-show-lasting-cardiovascular-damage-in-study

PRE-PRESS DETAILS & ABSTRACT: https://physoc.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1113/EP089481