Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19): The Disease & Its Spread (Per Se)

Lb8535

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
New research has found that the Pfizer vaccine can be stored in a fridge for a month and still be viable, rather than the 5 days previously stated.

"The European Union's drugs regulator has said the Pfizer Covid vaccine can now be stored at fridge temperature for much longer than it previously recommended.

The European Medicines Agency (EMA) said that once the vaccines thawed, unopened vials could be kept in the fridge for up to a month.

The current limit is just five days.

The increased flexibility is expected to have a significant impact on the vaccine roll-out across the EU."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-57152719
That sounds awfully convenient. I wonder what Pfizer has to say about it. It would have been much more profitable for them to have established this up front.

Min Bannister

Possessed dog
Reaction score
That sounds awfully convenient. I wonder what Pfizer has to say about it. It would have been much more profitable for them to have established this up front.
That is much harder than it sounds as time-consuming storage studies need to be done in order to test if the vaccine still works under different storage conditions and over different lengths of time.

charliebrown

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Japan ended their “Golden Week “ which were several holidays together producing an out break of covid.

Japanese doctors are protesting that the Simmer Olympics should be cancelled.

Ghost In The Machine

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
A friend of my mum's, her sister-in-law is in India, and has just died of the virus. Apparently it's absolute Hell there. Don't let that happen here, please - or anywhere else.
Bit late. Borders should have been shut down weeks ago. In the next few days, it will probably be the dominant strain here. P word so can't say what caused it, but I do wish the powers that be could learn from their own mistakes, not keep repeating them.

Souleater

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
Bit late. Borders should have been shut down weeks ago. In the next few days, it will probably be the dominant strain here. P word so can't say what caused it, but I do wish the powers that be could learn from their own mistakes, not keep repeating them.
The thing that i find incomprhensible is the fact they announce that a country, (India in this case) which is seeing massive numbers of covid infection and death, is going to be added to the 'red' list and all flights will be stopped, a week before it is added to the list, its like an invite to get as many people to fly from the counrty with major outbreaks to the UK as possible before the flights stop.
They should just do it without the weeks notice. If you are in said country on holiday or visiting then quarentine there until the virus is under control. It happened at the very beginning of the outbreak, people from the UK in Wuhan which was under quarentine, petitioning the government to fly them out of a quarentined area, its quarentined for a reason ffs.
Sorry rant over :p

Ghost In The Machine

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
The thing that i find incomprhensible is the fact they announce that a country, (India in this case) which is seeing massive numbers of covid infection and death, is going to be added to the 'red' list and all flights will be stopped, a week before it is added to the list, its like an invite to get as many people to fly from the counrty with major outbreaks to the UK as possible before the flights stop.
They should just do it without the weeks notice. If you are in said country on holiday or visiting then quarentine there until the virus is under control. It happened at the very beginning of the outbreak, people from the UK in Wuhan which was under quarentine, petitioning the government to fly them out of a quarentined area, its quarentined for a reason ffs.
Sorry rant over :p
I can't believe many other countries have made similar announcements (same with the earlier lockdowns), then set dates days (or weeks) ahead of time before it's implemented. It didn't make sense last year and it doesn't now.

TBH I don't get why they can't just shut down all incoming and outgoing til it's safer. It's not like people can't do business online. And people's holidays and jollies or even visiting loved family members abroad, are all less important than saving lives. No point in having borders we can supposedly control if we then don't even bother to control them.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
With 2 weeks to go, my 2nd Covid jab has been cancelled. No explanations, just an email saying 'sorry, it's been cancelled'.
Now I have to make a new booking. Grrrrrr!

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Just did my 2nd booking on the phone. Lady was very helpful. I think we figured out that the vaccine centre has changed completely and any bookings they'd made had become invalid.
Still irksome, though.

Ogdred Weary

Drag Queen of Dragons
Reaction score
Yesterday India cracked a new record.

4,527 died in 24 hours.

Terrible, but they are almost 1.3 billion people, with most living in poverty.

What's happening in India this year is what I presumed would happen last year, I hope to God that the prevalent mutations become less deadly soon.

Sabresonic

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
I can't believe many other countries have made similar announcements (same with the earlier lockdowns), then set dates days (or weeks) ahead of time before it's implemented. It didn't make sense last year and it doesn't now.

TBH I don't get why they can't just shut down all incoming and outgoing til it's safer. It's not like people can't do business online. And people's holidays and jollies or even visiting loved family members abroad, are all less important than saving lives. No point in having borders we can supposedly control if we then don't even bother to control them.
I don't understand but why did they keep flights coming in as are they that stupid after how long lockdown has been or without sounding like a conspiracy theorist was it the plan as just doesn't make sense as can't go to pub but can fly in and out of India ?????

Souleater

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
Terrible, but they are almost 1.3 billion people, with most living in poverty.

What's happening in India this year is what I presumed would happen last year, I hope to God that the prevalent mutations become less deadly soon.
Maybe they should reassign ALL of the reported $2 billion per year they spend on their space program to helping the poor of their counrty and buying vaccines, ventilators, oxygen etc

"It is one of six government space agencies in the world which possess full launch capabilities, deploy cryogenic engines, launch extraterrestrial missions and operate large fleets of artificial satellites."
Indian Space Research Organisation.
Agency overview
Annual budget₹13,949 crore (US$2.0 billion) (2021–22)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_Space_Research_Organisation

Ogdred Weary

Drag Queen of Dragons
Reaction score
Maybe they should reassign ALL of the reported $2 billion per year they spend on their space program to helping the poor of their counrty and buying vaccines, ventilators, oxygen etc

"It is one of six government space agencies in the world which possess full launch capabilities, deploy cryogenic engines, launch extraterrestrial missions and operate large fleets of artificial satellites."
Agency overview

Absolutely, although I'd say that all countries ought to do similar with frivolous, egotistical spending. Granted, India is one of the more extreme examples.

charliebrown

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
The CDC says they will study heart inflammation reports in 12 year old children who received the covid vaccination.

The CDC says it could be coincidence.

charliebrown

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
The U.S. classified Japan Level 4 or don’t travel to Japan.

Japan is having a covid outbreak.

Japan has been inefficient in vaccinating their people.

AnonyJ

Captainess Sensible
Reaction score
Having-a-nice-cup-of-tea-and-a-sit-down-shire

Agency overview

To be fair, India's space projects do make a profit - it's a good launch location and a low wage economy - but the profits go to the companies and the Indian government.

The amount of money wasted on funding 'the good life' for India's upper government staff (regardless of political party) has to be seen to be believed! When I was last in Delhi (2018) I saw the Indian president (not PM) arriving by motorcade - it made the entourage for Queen Elizabeth II look like a pizza delivery in a Reliant Robin.

In India there is huge spending on the elite already-haves, endemic sloth and corruption in lower-level cushy 'government jobs' and very little can get done for ordinary working people unless they grease palms.

The space programme is a vanity project in the sense it gives the current PM something to boast about, but it does make money in net terms. It's just about where that money goes...

From 2016: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-37448629

"...Monday's launch takes the number of foreign satellites launched by India to 79. This has earned the country more than $120m (£92m). And India's space agency has already secured deals to launch dozens more foreign satellites..."

Last edited:

Souleater

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
To be fair, India's space projects do make a profit - it's a good launch location and a low wage economy - but the profits go to the companies and the Indian government.

The amount of money wasted on funding 'the good life' for India's upper government staff (regardless of political party) has to be seen to be believed! When I was last in Delhi (2018) I saw the Indian president (not PM) arriving by motorcade - it made the entourage for Queen Elizabeth II look like a pizza delivery in a Reliant Robin.

In India there is huge spending on the elite already-haves, endemic sloth and corruption in lower-level cushy 'government jobs' and very little can get done for ordinary working people unless they grease palms.

The space programme is a vanity project in the sense it gives the current PM something to boast about, but it does make money in net terms. It's just about where that money goes...

From 2016: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-37448629

"...Monday's launch takes the number of foreign satellites launched by India to 79. This has earned the country more than $120m (£92m). And India's space agency has already secured deals to launch dozens more foreign satellites..."
Still $120 million income from $2 billion a year input is not good economics

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
Survey results from Louisiana suggest supertasters (people with a variant bitter taste receptor) may somehow be better able to fight off COVID-19.
Weird Discovery Shows 'Supertasters' Could Be Better at Fighting Off SARS-CoV-2

If you are extremely sensitive to bitter flavors, you may be more resistant to SARS-CoV-2 - at least, that seems to be the implication from a newly published study.

According to data from nearly 2,000 patients in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, people with the 'supertaster' variant of a taste receptor gene made up a disproportionately small percentage of those testing positive for COVID-19.

This finding not only furthers a link between the gene variant and reduced susceptibility to upper respiratory tract infections, but could help doctors better assess the risk and outcomes of COVID-19. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.sciencealert.com/weird-...rs-could-be-better-at-fighting-off-sars-cov-2

charliebrown

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Dr. Fauci has said early studies show that T cells and bone marrow seem to be active against covid a year later.

This is a good sign against covid, and the same for people who recovered from the disease.

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
My wife has been in regular phone contact with her family in western France. She heard that two of her nieces had contracted Covid but had recovered.
Whilst the UK's Kent variant had spread to the continent, France has produced some homegrown variants, notably the Bordeaux and Breton strains (the former somehow sounds preferable to me, as I prefer wine to cider!).
I'm unsure if it was the Breton variant that hit my wife's relatives but, given their geographic location, that is a fair possibility. It is the Breton variant that appears to be causing more concern, due to a proportionally higher mortality rate and it being much more difficult to test for:

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.05.05.21256690v1

Last edited:

Victory

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
With the UK subject to rising infection levels, and a drip drip hinting campaign in the media from the government that earliest possible date for the ending of the majority of social restrictions will be pushed back from June 21st, there is some promising news from Israel.

A drug called Mesencure has had excellent phase one test results in alleviating lung inflammation in Covid 19 patients.
Phase II testing is to begin soon.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8111922/

Souleater

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
The 'WHO' is renaming the covid varients using Greek letters in order to remove stigma. (Apart from to the Greeks i guess)

"The World Health Organization (WHO) has announced a new naming system for variants of Covid-19.

From now on the WHO will use Greek letters to refer to variants first detected in countries like the UK, South Africa and India.

The UK variant for instance is labelled as Alpha, the South African Beta, and the Indian as Delta.

The WHO said this was to simplify discussions but also to help remove some stigma from the names.

Earlier this month the Indian government criticised the naming of variant B.1.617.2 - first detected in the country last October - as the "Indian variant", though the WHO had never officially labelled it as such."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-57308592

charliebrown

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
It has been reported that Vietnam has had an outbreak of the most infectious Delta covid.

Doctors think Delta is the most deadly because it has numerous mutants attached.

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
Here is the WHO webpage summarizing the new variant labeling and listing the variants given Greek letter designations as of 31 May 2021.

https://www.who.int/en/activities/tracking-SARS-CoV-2-variants/

In addition to the 4 "Variants of Concern" cited in the BBC news article there are 6 additional "Variants of Interest."

Analogue Boy

Bar 6
Reaction score
I’m not sure how helpful the WHO’s new designations are as the rather woke idea is to remove stigmatisation rather than accurately define a location which is far more useful for the layman.

They didn’t even mention ‘Coughs and sneezes spread diseases‘ at the beginning of the pandemic.

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
I’m not sure how helpful the WHO’s new designations are as the rather woke idea is to remove stigmatisation rather than accurately define a location which is far more useful for the layman.
The association of a variant with a geographical location doesn't really mean anything. By the time a variant is identified as a separate version of the virus it's typically found to have already been in or spread to other places.

In any case, the attribution of location isn't claimed to indicate where the variant actually originated or where it's most prevalent. It only designates the locale where the variant was first identified as something distinct.