Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19): The Disease & Its Spread (Per Se)

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
And with an earlier report from France showing the Pfizer jab to be the least effective against the Delta variant (and by far the most difficult to store and transport) it wouldn't surprise me if the Pfizer vaccine is discontinued before long, in favour of AZ and Moderna.
Unless Pfizer can develop and obtain authorisation for an enhanced vaccine of course.

As we've discussed here, the suspicion is that the 'faster fading immunity' (and it is only the increased resistance to contracting the virus, not the increased defence against illness that is affected) is caused by the short duration between first and second jab, not the vaccine.

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
As we've discussed here, the suspicion is that the 'faster fading immunity' (and it is only the increased resistance to contracting the virus, not the increased defence against illness that is affected) is caused by the short duration between first and second jab, not the vaccine.

A recent France 2 report stated that the Pfizer jab was initially the least effective in preventing serious illness resulting from Delta variant infection.
I didn't recall any comments relating to the gap between vaccinations though.
France seems to have declared the Moderna the pick of the bunch.

news.JPG

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
I didn't recall any comments relating to the gap between vaccinations though.

Some covered here:

One point that may or may not have been accounted for in that French study is that Astrazeneca was the first on the scene for many nations and so often administered to high-risk groups: the old and chronically unwell—those most succeptible to grave illness in any case.

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Some covered here:

One point that may or may not have been accounted for in that French study is that Astrazeneca was the first on the scene for many nations and so often administered to high-risk groups: the old and chronically unwell—those most succeptible to grave illness in any case.

Some interesting material there, but the marked difference between the Israeli stats and ours makes me question the value of comparing two very different demographics. The UK population median age is over 10 years older than Israel's average and there are other factors affecting the UK, such as obesity. I prefer to compare us with nearby countries of similar population size, such as France.
The one reassuring thing from that video was that the vaccine either here or in Israel still appears to have a significant effect in mitigating serious illness.

charliebrown

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
The Indian Council of Medical Research from India warns the UK that the Delta virus is mutating into something called AY.3.

The current vaccines may not be as effective for this mutation.

The AY.3 is already circulating in the UK.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
The Indian Council of Medical Research from India warns the UK that the Delta virus is mutating into something called AY.3.

The current vaccines may not be as effective for this mutation.

The AY.3 is already circulating in the UK.
Aye!

Or not.

charliebrown

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Today Dr. Walker from Oxford University released a study showing that fully vaccinated people who have a breakthrough occurrence carry a very high viral load and is considered to be a super spreader.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
Today Dr. Walker from Oxford University released a study showing that fully vaccinated people who have a breakthrough occurrence carry a very high viral load and is considered to be a super spreader.
Here's one article describing the Walker study, results, and implications ...

COVID vaccines protect against Delta, but their effectiveness wanes
FULL STORY: https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-02261-8

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Some interesting material there, but the marked difference between the Israeli stats and ours makes me question the value of comparing two very different demographics. The UK population median age is over 10 years older than Israel's average and there are other factors affecting the UK, such as obesity. I prefer to compare us with nearby countries of similar population size, such as France.
The one reassuring thing from that video was that the vaccine either here or in Israel still appears to have a significant effect in mitigating serious illness.
Here's one article describing the Walker study, results, and implications ...

COVID vaccines protect against Delta, but their effectiveness wanes
FULL STORY: https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-02261-8

Scratch the theory about the interval between jabs affecting the level of protection; the latest study, discussed in the article linked to by Enola, does not support it.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score

I have not read the study, but the commentary on it that I did see suggested that the viral load in breakthrough infections of the Delta strain are at the same level as with the non-vaccinated—i.e. they are equally contagious.

Not that they are 'super-spreaders'.

One of us might be in error here.

Edit: it's me at fault. I was thinking of the new Nuffield/ONS study:

Key findings from the study:
  • Obtaining two vaccine doses remains the most effective way to ensure protection against the COVID-19 Delta variant of concern dominant in the UK today.
  • With Delta, Pfizer-BioNTech and Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccines still offer good protection against new infections, but effectiveness is reduced compared with Alpha.
  • Two doses of either vaccine still provided at least the same level of protection as having had COVID-19 before through natural infection; people who had been vaccinated after already being infected with COVID-19 had even more protection than vaccinated individuals who had not had COVID-19 before.
  • However, Delta infections after two vaccine doses had similar peak levels of virus to those in unvaccinated people; with the Alpha variant, peak virus levels in those infected post-vaccination were much lower.
Other findings:
  • A single dose of the Moderna vaccine has similar or greater effectiveness against the Delta variant as single doses of the other vaccines.
  • Two doses of Pfizer-BioNTech have greater initial effectiveness against new COVID-19 infections, but this declines faster compared with two doses of Oxford-AstraZeneca. Results suggest that after four to five months effectiveness of these two vaccines would be similar – however, long-term effects need to be studied.
  • The time between doses does not affect effectiveness in preventing new infections, but younger people have even more protection from vaccination than older people.
Source:
https://www.ndm.ox.ac.uk/covid-19/covid-19-infection-survey/results/new-studies

charliebrown

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Yithian,

You are right and I am wrong.

I interpreted “ peak load viral of the Delta virus “ as a super spreader, but this term was not used in the article from Dr. Walker.

Sorry !

Last edited:

Lb8535

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Yithian,

You are right and I am wrong.

I interpreted “ peak load viral of the Delta virus “ as a super spreader, but this term was not used in the article from Dr. Walker.

Sorry !
The term superspreader is not used by doctors with respect to people. High viral load is the description. Journalists coined superspreaders to describe events.

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
France, with a similar population to the UK, appeared to have a significantly lower mortality rate from Covid (86,000 to our 130,000).
I just spotted though, that the French stats only count those who die from Covid in hospital, whereas the UK counts any death in any location of someone who tested positive for Covid within the last 28 days.
I suspect, if France used the same calculation method as the UK, the overall mortality numbers would be very similar.
It is worrying though that we're still in the summer and both France and UK are recording daily deaths in excess of 100, despite the vaccination programme.
I'm not looking forward to autumn and winter.

covid.JPG

charliebrown

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Israel population is about 78 % vaccinated for covid, but Israel is experiencing today an astonishing 7,500 covid cases a day in mostly vaccinated people.

Doctors are coming to the conclusion the Delta virus is eating through the vaccinations making the vaccinations only last about 5 months.

Some Israel doctors have expressed their opinion of a booster shot every 6 months.

Last edited:

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
The Pfizer vaccine has become the first COVID vaccine to be granted full approval by the FDA.
FDA grants full approval for Pfizer-BioNTech coronavirus vaccine

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) granted full approval to Pfizer-BioNTech's coronavirus vaccine on Monday (Aug.23).

That marks the first full approval for a COVID-19 vaccine in the U.S., and might pave the way for more vaccine mandates and ease concerns of those who are unvaccinated. ...

Experts think a full approval might help ease the concerns of some people who were vaccine hesitant.

"The FDA's approval of this vaccine is a milestone as we continue to battle the COVID-19 pandemic," Dr. Janet Woodcock, acting commissioner of the FDA, said in the statement."While millions of people have already safely received Covid-19 vaccines, we recognize that for some, the FDA approval of a vaccine may now instill additional confidence to get vaccinated." ...

The full approval for Pfizer-BioNTech includes people 16 years of age or older, but children ages 12 to 15 can still receive the vaccine under emergency authorization. Moderna has also applied for full approval, but Johnson & Johnson has not yet applied (both have emergency use authorizations), according to NBC News.

The Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine will now be marketed as Comirnaty.
FULL STORY: https://www.livescience.com/fda-grants-full-approval-pfizer-biontech-covid-vaccine.html

charliebrown

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I have no idea what other cities, counties, states, or countries start school, but usually the U.S.southern states start around the first of August to get in the fall, winter, spring, and holiday breaks in.

So, about three weeks into school the fully vaccinated teachers are dropping out sick, the kids are getting sick, and there is a shortage of school bus drivers because they are sick.

There are too many sick people for the local doctors, and the local hospital is out of ICU beds.

Someone get me out of this Marvel Muti-Universe craziness !

charliebrown

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
To set the scene, Tennessee only has about a 37% vaccination level.

Our local school system, before school started, told parents that they believed in herd immunity and no masks or special backup plans in place.

After about 3 weeks in school, it has been a mess with teachers, bus drivers, and students sick.

How do you say stupid or dumb !

Lb8535

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

charliebrown

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
All flu shots this year will be quadrivalent, two As and two Bs.

Lb8535

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
All flu shots this year will be quadrivalent, two As and two Bs.
According to Dr. Pourang above "The 2021-2022 flu vaccine will protect against different variations of influenza A subtypes H1N1 and H3N2 and influenza B" as decided by the FDA Vaccines and Related Biological Products Advisory Committee.

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score

charliebrown

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
The U.S. CDC issued a grim projection.

Because there are still 90 million people in the U.S. that is resisting vaccination, the CDC claims 100,000 more people will die between now and December 31st.

Nosmo King

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
The worst possible situation.

Louisiana hospitals are filled 100% capacity with covid patient and hurricane Ida is expected to hit Louisiana as a CAT 4 hurricane.

There could be no electricity for weeks for the covid people on ventilators.
The only plus side is that most, if not all hospitals have back up generators

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Hartbreaking news.

The US government said on Friday it had confirmed the world's first cases of COVID-19 in deer, expanding the list of animals known to have tested positive for the disease.

The US Department of Agriculture reported infections of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, in wild white-tailed deer in the state of Ohio, according to a statement. There were no reports of deer showing symptoms of infection, the USDA said.

"We do not know how the deer were exposed to SARS-CoV-2," USDA spokeswoman Lyndsay Cole wrote in an e-mail to Reuters. "It’s possible they were exposed through people, the environment, other deer, or another animal species."

The USDA has previously reported COVID-19 in animals including dogs, cats, tigers, lions, snow leopards, otters, gorillas and minks.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/world/arid-40368305.html

charliebrown

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Since our local public schools had a hard time opening in a Delta environment, I hope any public school anywhere in the world will have a better go on opening.

It is a mistake to think that the fully vaccinated adults and kids under 12 years of age are not affected by the Delta virus.