Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19): The Disease & Its Spread (Per Se)

charliebrown

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Vaccinations for covid virus are fading faster than thought, possibly dropping to only 33% in 8 months.

President Biden is looking into a covid booster every 5 months.

Maccabi Health Services In Israel claim natural immunity from having a covid infection could last a little longer.

charliebrown

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Tim Spector from King’s College London supposedly said that the British have completely forgotten the coronavirus, but the coronavirus has not forgotten about us.

Now England is back up to 30,000 reported cases a day, and the death toll is starting to climb.

A good example was the game Chelsea vs Arsenal at London’s Emirates Stadium last Sunday as 60,000 fans pushed themselves into this stadium.

Will Boris Johnson start to restrict again ?

The already received vaccinations are fading out after 8 months and the Delta virus is extremely catchable.

charliebrown

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Now there is the most mutated variant of covid circulating through out the world call C.1.2. including England.

It has little resemblance to covid-19.

JahaRa

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
The Delta virus has spread like a wildfire through the Tennessee public school systems, but fortunately only a few pediatric deaths.

Tennessee still has a low vaccination rate.
Do you know why that state has a low vaccination rate? I am curious about why some of the southern states have such low vaccination rates. I just looked it up and Tennessee is 41% vaccinated. The state with the highest rate is Vermont with 67%. Wyoming and Alabama are the least with 38%. Wyoming is a low population so it makes no sense that they are so low.

Nosmo King

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
Do you know why that state has a low vaccination rate? I am curious about why some of the southern states have such low vaccination rates. I just looked it up and Tennessee is 41% vaccinated. The state with the highest rate is Vermont with 67%. Wyoming and Alabama are the least with 38%. Wyoming is a low population so it makes no sense that they are so low.
If the population is more dispersed it may take longer to get to everyone rather than somewhere that has more centralised populations, are there lots of small towns and farms etc in Wyoming?

charliebrown

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
JahaRa,

The answer to low vaccination rates in the southern states is very complex.

In 1932 to 1972 the government gave African Americans syphilis as an experiment called The Tuskegee Syphilis Study, and African Americans are very distrusting.

The southern states are know as the Bible Belt, were evangelical ideas are common, such I will not die because I have everlasting life and covid will not hurt me.

But the biggest problem is that covid has become very political and the known science goes out the door.

My wife and I always wear our masks in groceries, but I can tell some people are annoyed that we do wear masks.

JahaRa

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
If the population is more dispersed it may take longer to get to everyone rather than somewhere that has more centralised populations, are there lots of small towns and farms etc in Wyoming?
I think it is mostly ranches, with some small towns and one large town.

Nosmo King

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
I think it is mostly ranches, with some small towns and one large town.
that would mean a lot more logistics to get the vaccine to the population rather than a state where most people live in cities

JahaRa

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
that would mean a lot more logistics to get the vaccine to the population rather than a state where most people live in cities
Well, I think there has been plenty of time for those logistics to be worked out. New Mexico has one county that is 100% vaccinated (adults 16 & over) and it is a very rural area, most of the county is native reservation. The northern counties where most of the ranches and reservation land have a higher vaccination rate than the southern counties that protested the mask rule. There is some kind of mental issues that make it more difficult to get those people vaccinated, even though most of the population in those counties are in towns.

Lb8535

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
JahaRa,

The answer to low vaccination rates in the southern states is very complex.

In 1932 to 1972 the government gave African Americans syphilis as an experiment called The Tuskegee Syphilis Study, and African Americans are very distrusting.

The southern states are know as the Bible Belt, were evangelical ideas are common, such I will not die because I have everlasting life and covid will not hurt me.

But the biggest problem is that covid has become very political and the known science goes out the door.

My wife and I always wear our masks in groceries, but I can tell some people are annoyed that we do wear masks.
Well, I think there has been plenty of time for those logistics to be worked out. New Mexico has one county that is 100% vaccinated (adults 16 & over) and it is a very rural area, most of the county is native reservation. The northern counties where most of the ranches and reservation land have a higher vaccination rate than the southern counties that protested the mask rule. There is some kind of mental issues that make it more difficult to get those people vaccinated, even though most of the population in those counties are in towns.
Yes the rez experience was so terrible early on (think areas where water has to be delivered or picked up) that the local and state governments really pulled together and as a result the vaccination rates in the poorest rural areas are high. On the other hand, a friend in Santa Fe reports that tourists are flocking in without masks. She's particularly worried about the tourists from Texas.

Lb8535

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I have imagined a covid variant that is very highly contagious but not very dangerous - doesn't kill the organism, in fact it multiplies like mad but you probably don't know that you have it. I think such a variant would push out other more dangerous variants. I assume someone has already thought of this.

Nosmo King

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
More trouble in Japan for Moderna.

"Japan has put a batch of Moderna's Covid-19 vaccine on hold after a foreign substance was found in a vial.

A pharmacist saw several black particles in one vial of the vaccine in Kanagawa Prefecture, according to authorities.

Some 3,790 people had already received shots from the batch. The rest of the batch has now been put on hold.

It comes less than a week after Japan suspended the use of about 1.63 million Moderna doses due to contamination."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-58405210

Nosmo King

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
North Korea rejects the offer of 3 million doses of covid vaccine from China.

"North Korea has asked that almost three million Covid-19 jabs offered to it be redirected elsewhere, the UN says.

A spokesperson said the country had asked that the shots be relocated to harder hit nations in view of global vaccine shortages.

The Chinese-made Sinovac shots were offered under the Covax programme which aims to help poorer nations obtain vaccines.

North Korea is part of the scheme but is yet to receive any doses under it."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-58408913

uair01

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
This is interesting:

Indeed, the growth rate of a variant is determined not only by its reproduction number, but also by its generation interval. The generation interval is the time between the moment someone is infected and the moment they infect someone else. Keeping the reproduction number constant, the shorter that interval is, the faster the epidemic is growing. Indeed, if the generation interval is shorter, then even if people who have been infected will infect on average the same number of people, they will infect them faster and incidence will therefore grow faster. Thus, from the fact that a variant is growing faster than another, it doesn’t follow that it has a higher reproduction number. It could also be that it has a shorter generation interval. Even if we knew that Delta has the same generation interval has other variants, the fact that it’s growing faster would just mean that it has a higher reproduction number, which as I explained above doesn’t imply that it’s more transmissible.

https://cspicenter.org/blog/waronsc...missible-as-the-original-strain-of-the-virus/

charliebrown

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
My head is crazy with all the talk of different covid mutations, but the World Health Organization has alerted the world of a real nasty one already detected on 39 countries.

It is called “ mu “ or B.1.621 from Columbia.

“ mu “ is not affected by covid vaccinations.

Nosmo King

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
My head is crazy with all the talk of different covid mutations, but the World Health Organization has alerted the world of a real nasty one already detected on 39 countries.

It is called “ mu “ or B.1.621 from Columbia.

“ mu “ is not affected by covid vaccinations.
Or, as reported in the 'Washinton Post'

"Public Health England said there was currently no evidence to indicate that the B.1.621 variant causes more severe disease or can evade vaccines, but is investigating it to better understand the impact mutations have on the coronavirus, reports the Washington Post."

JahaRa

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
Yes the rez experience was so terrible early on (think areas where water has to be delivered or picked up) that the local and state governments really pulled together and as a result the vaccination rates in the poorest rural areas are high. On the other hand, a friend in Santa Fe reports that tourists are flocking in without masks. She's particularly worried about the tourists from Texas.
Do they honor the businesses requirement to wear a mask? I remember last August when I drove to Delaware to visit my daughter and see my new granddaughter, the mid west seemed more lax about everything, especially Missouri, where there were signs that said "We recommend you wear a mask" and I heard people making fun of that sign, saying things like "recommend? Ha Ha, watch me not wear a mask." Ohio had the same rules as New Mexico (at that time everything was still mostlly shut down). Coming back I drove I-40 instead of I-70 to avoid the construction and the southern states were different. Virginia was strict, Tennessee depended on the county, OK & Texas seemed like nothing had changed. In Albuquerque we have people who don't wear masks but the shops still insist on it, they have masks at the door and someone to insist you put it on if you come in without one, or they don't let you enter.

I would be more worried about the tourists from Missouri. Texas made it so easy to get vaccinated early on that a lot of people in New Mexico went to Amarillo to get a vaccine becuase they had to wait a month or more to get one in New Mexico.

Lb8535

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Do they honor the businesses requirement to wear a mask? I remember last August when I drove to Delaware to visit my daughter and see my new granddaughter, the mid west seemed more lax about everything, especially Missouri, where there were signs that said "We recommend you wear a mask" and I heard people making fun of that sign, saying things like "recommend? Ha Ha, watch me not wear a mask." Ohio had the same rules as New Mexico (at that time everything was still mostlly shut down). Coming back I drove I-40 instead of I-70 to avoid the construction and the southern states were different. Virginia was strict, Tennessee depended on the county, OK & Texas seemed like nothing had changed. In Albuquerque we have people who don't wear masks but the shops still insist on it, they have masks at the door and someone to insist you put it on if you come in without one, or they don't let you enter.

I would be more worried about the tourists from Missouri. Texas made it so easy to get vaccinated early on that a lot of people in New Mexico went to Amarillo to get a vaccine becuase they had to wait a month or more to get one in New Mexico.
Yes in fact that same friend got her first in Amarillo. She's not shopping much inside.

Endlessly Amazed

Endlessly, you know, amazed
Reaction score
Last edited:

charliebrown

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
In the U.S., Monday is the Labor Day holiday and millions are predicted to travel against CDC warnings.

The CDC predicts this will cause an another wave of covid infection particularly among the unvaccinated.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
In the U.S., Monday is the Labor Day holiday and millions are predicted to travel against CDC warnings.

The CDC predicts this will cause an another wave of covid infection particularly among the unvaccinated.

You know, for a lot of people, although I know this is a very bad idea, I have some sympathy.

I'm one of literally millions who have cancelled long-planned trips, scaled back social occassions and forgone attendance at family functions for 18 months now.

In this neck of the woods, despite lapses here and there, the level of public observance of safetly regulations has been surprisingly high, even with those rules of dubious merit.

Personally, although I am conscious that there is no moral component to contagion, I begin to feel that a lot of people have put in sufficient work to deserve a few gulps of normality.

charliebrown

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I agree, our way of life has changed, for example, my wife and I will not enter a store if we feel it is too crowded.

My wife’s oldest sister finally came and visited with us after waiting one and one-half years because she was scared of the virus.

What will be the new normal in the future ?

JahaRa

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score

I did travel this weekend, I took my Aunt to her home town 200 miles away, we stopped for gas and food and wore our masks and sanitized our hands. We also visted my other Aunt while we were there. It was a day trip. Neither of my aunts, one is 90 and the other is 88 have been vaccinated. They are both isolated with a rare trip to the grocery store as everyone takes care of them. The area we went to has not had very many cases of the Delta variant, that is happening in the southern part of the state.

I hope the CDC is wrong, and I hope everyone is being more careful than last summer.

charliebrown

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Tennessee is now the worst in the U.S. at 116.8 cases per 100,000.

This is followed by Alabama, South Carolina, and Kentucky.

A good example of the mind set is for example people campaigning that Jesus would not us to wear masks.

In fact our county is trying to reinstate masks in public places, but has so far been blocked.

Am I living in the time period of King Arthur ?

JahaRa

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
Tennessee is now the worst in the U.S. at 116.8 cases per 100,000.

This is followed by Alabama, South Carolina, and Kentucky.

A good example of the mind set is for example people campaigning that Jesus would not us to wear masks.

In fact our county is trying to reinstate masks in public places, but has so far been blocked.

Am I living in the time period of King Arthur ?
I find that interesting. Last August when I drove from Albuquerque to Delaware I found different attitudes in different states. Missourie seemed to have the worst attitude. The signs on the quicky mart where I stopped for gas said "The governor reommends you wear a mask", and I over heard locals making fun of the sign. All the travelers were wearing masks. Texas and Oklahoma had no signs for masks anywhere that I stopped and I camped at a KOA near Oklahoma City. Ohio was very strict like I was used to in New Mexico. I did not stop in Illinois or West Virginia. On the way back I drove on I 40 from Virginia to New Mexico and Virginia seemed to have signs saying wear a mask. I stopped in Tennessee to meet my uncle for lunch. He lives in Kentucky about 5 miles from the Tennesse border. I was told by someone in Tennessee that it depended on which county you were on and the numbers of covid cases whether there were any rules or not. I guess that strategy (which is also similar to the strategy Texas used) did not work after all. I wish people understood how virus' worked and also realized that it would be a two year thing. Since no one did realize that it will end up being a 4 or more year thing.