Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19): The Disease & Its Spread (Per Se)

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
There will be no limit to the amount of boosters we'll need. We'll have to get one a month and start paying for it, on a subscription basis. Most of the cost will be tax, of course.
Myth, this was a reply to @Lb8535 and was referring to tetanus, not Covid.

RaM

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Last Tetanus jab I had went like this,

Door opens behind me and a voice says "drop em blossom"
Cant I have it in my arm?
Yes but it will hurt more drop em blossom,
Stick it in my arm
I'm a nurse drop em,
Your my mates wife get it in my bloody arm,
Ok arm it is.

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
There will be no limit to the amount of boosters we'll need. We'll have to get one a month and start paying for it, on a subscription basis. Most of the cost will be tax, of course.
Is this an informed opinion or a wild flight of fancy?

marhawkman

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Is this an informed opinion or a wild flight of fancy?
Well we do have some evidence. The data is still being collected but Israel recently released data showing that the vaccines they'd been using for Covid-19 might last as long as 6 months if that. Boosters for a 3-month window have already been greenlit.

uair01

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Long covid effects:
https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamanetworkopen/fullarticle/2785388

In this study, we found a relatively high frequency of cognitive impairment several months after patients contracted COVID-19. Impairments in executive functioning, processing speed, category fluency, memory encoding, and recall were predominant among hospitalized patients. The relative sparing of memory recognition in the context of impaired encoding and recall suggests an executive pattern. This pattern is consistent with early reports describing a dysexecutive syndrome after COVID-194 and has considerable implications for occupational, psychological, and functional outcomes. It is well known that certain populations (eg, older adults) may be particularly susceptible to cognitive impairment after critical illness5; however, in the relatively young cohort in the present study, a substantial proportion exhibited cognitive dysfunction several months after recovering from COVID-19. The findings of this study are generally consistent with those of research on other viruses (eg, influenza).6

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Well we do have some evidence. The data is still being collected but Israel recently released data showing that the vaccines they'd been using for Covid-19 might last as long as 6 months if that. Boosters for a 3-month window have already been greenlit.
Fair enough. I was more talking about Myth's monthly boosters you have to pay for.

Lb8535

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I expect it will settle down just like the flu shot. We time them for flu season, they wane after six months. However between now and then it's going to be a bumpy ride what with new variants.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
The last few videos by this man have been an analysis of the UK government's Covid data, and he comes to the disturbing conclusion that infection figures are higher in the vaccinated population. Make of it what you will, draw your own conclusions, etc.

It might be that people who are vaccinated think they are now indestructible and are exposing themselves to possible infection every day.

Nosmo King

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
The last few videos by this man have been an analysis of the UK government's Covid data, and he comes to the disturbing conclusion that infection figures are higher in the vaccinated population. Make of it what you will, draw your own conclusions, etc.

It might be that people who are vaccinated think they are now indestructible and are exposing themselves to possible infection every day.
I would agree that complacency has a lot to do with the rise in new covid cases, however the percentage of people hospitalised by covid is massively lower in double vaccinated people than single vaccinated or unvaccinated people

These are the latest figures I could find

"of 40 000 patients with covid-19 who were admitted to hospital between December 2020 and July 2021 a total of 33 496 (84%) had not been vaccinated. It found that 5198 (13%) of these patients had received their first vaccine and 1274 (3%) their second. A total of 611 patients with previous covid-19 (reinfection) were not included in the analysis."

https://www.bmj.com/content/374/bmj.n2306

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
We're still required to wear masks in Scotland in certain settings e.g public transport, shops, when circulating in pubs, restaurants, workplaces. Of course that doesn't mean everyone adheres to it. We also have to produce proof of vaccination to gain entry to events over a certain capacity and nightclubs.

While I don't disagree with the sentiment of the article, it's lazy journalism in that it doesn't appreciate that rules and restrictions vary in the constituent parts of the UK.

When I was out and about this week in Scotland I saw... nobody in a mask. Apart from me. Although that may have been because my glasses were steamed up. But nobody is enforcing this as far as I could tell.

Beresford

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
When I was out and about this week in Scotland I saw... nobody in a mask. Apart from me. Although that may have been because my glasses were steamed up. But nobody is enforcing this as far as I could tell.
Nobody is enforcing it, but most people in supermarkets are wearing them. Same goes with buses, although not so much on trains.

RaM

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Friends daughter got it likely from school, picked up on a routine test as she had no symptoms,
she was isolated with her parents both had been double jabbed, they did not get it and she
would not have known but for the test

charliebrown

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
The American CDC has said people with a weak immune system will have a 485 times likely to die from covid.

The CDC recommends a fourth booster shot six months after the third shot for a weak immune system.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
South Korea has 'fully vaccinated' 83.1% of over-18s (who constitute 71.5% of population). I could probably work out what percentage of the whole population that is, but I'm feeling tired.

92% of over-18s have had at least one dose.

Vaccination for 12-year-olds and older is commencing now, but the mood among parents is one of much greater hesitancy; many think it prudent to wait a few weeks to observe whether there seems to be any ill-effects on those early-adopting guinea pigs.

Figures for daily positive infections and deaths have been trickling down for a fortnight to around 1,500 new cases per day and between about 5 and 15 deaths.

Alas, immediately following the government's announcement of its new 'Living With' strategy to grafually loosen restrictions, we had a jump in new cases to just below 2,000. That was this morning.

So it goes.

Hopefully a statistical blip.

kamalktk

Antediluvian
Reaction score

Cheap, generic anti-depressant may reduce severe Covid-19 disease, study finds​

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/28/health/fluvoxamine-covid-risk-study/index.html

-----------------------------------------
"Fluvoxamine may reduce the production of inflammatory molecules called cytokines, that can be triggered by SARS-CoV-2 infection," Reiersen said in a statement. The drug may also reduce blood platelets, which may affect the clotting effects of coronavirus infection.

Reierson and colleagues gave 741 volunteers with Covid-19 100 mg of fluvoxamine twice a day for 10 days while 756 volunteers got a placebo.
Among the patients who got fluvoxamine, 79 -- or about 11% -- needed treatment in an ER or hospital room compared to nearly 16% of those given placebos. It was a 5% decrease in absolute risk and a 32% decrease in relative risk.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/oth...yearlong-study-shows/ar-AAQ3Tu3?ocid=msedgntp
Well this is ominous. the core message of the article seems to be that everyone needs the vaccine, but... it also mentions that... vaccinated people can apparently get the virus from other vaccinated people?

This has been known for a long time now. That study has just introduced a few verified figures.

The point is that a vaccinated person is less likely to contract it, and less likely to pass it on to another vaccinated person. With the Delta variant, the differences are not nearly as large as with earlier strains, but there's a non-negligible 'edge' over non-vaccinated individuals at every stage.

Frankly, it isn't what I or most of the public were expecting when talk of vaccines began, but it seems, as with many fields, that medicine is an art of the possible—and this is the best there currently is. The crucial point is that chance of serious illness or death is greatly reduced.

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Reaction score

It's being enforced by businesses and social presure. Down our way we are all at it!

whgereabouts were you @GNC?

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Yes, Glasgow's been the place that the really ill people from elsewhere are brought to. :(

There was also a theory that the Covid testing where I am is among the best in the country, so it's picked up on more cases, and in fact the whole nation is in a really bad way, but the afflicted aren't being tested elsewhere. In case you were in danger of feeling cheerful.

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Reaction score
There was also a theory that the Covid testing where I am is among the best in the country, so it's picked up on more cases, and in fact the whole nation is in a really bad way, but the afflicted aren't being tested elsewhere. In case you were in danger of feeling cheerful.

AAAAARGH!!!!!
:bpals:

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Just listened to BBC Radio 5 Live's Naked Scientist programme.

It featured the latest news on long Covid.
In particular, the often reported brain fog has been identified as a result of the Covid virus attacking the tiny blood vessels that supply the brain with oxygen.

Unfortunately, once the vessels are destroyed, the effects are irreversible and the victim may experience stroke-like symptoms, memory loss and general confusion. Research is ongoing into drugs to mitigate these effects, but the expert was pessimistic about being able to help current victims of this condition.

Programme has now moved onto the Wuhan lab-leak hypothesis and the very real dangers behind "gain of function" research.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Just listened to BBC Radio 5 Live's Naked Scientist programme.

It featured the latest news on long Covid.
In particular, the often reported brain fog has been identified as a result of the Covid virus attacking the tiny blood vessels that supply the brain with oxygen.

Unfortunately, once the vessels are destroyed, the effects are irreversible and the victim may experience stroke-like symptoms, memory loss and general confusion. Research is ongoing into drugs to mitigate these effects, but the expert was pessimistic about being able to help current victims of this condition.

Programme has now moved onto the Wuhan lab-leak hypothesis and the very real dangers behind "gain of function" research.

Did they cite any figures on the prevailance of this vessel damage?

Or whether any factors had been identified that increased the risk of it occuring in those that contract Covid?