Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19): The Disease & Its Spread (Per Se)

Floyd1

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
My 19 year old was in Portugal last week (Liverpool game) and him and his mates were very struck by the fact everyone wears a mask everywhere, even outdoors. In the UK you largely only see people wearing masks in shops and the number of people wearing em at all seems to drop all the time. He said, once or twice him and his mates forgot to put masks on outside and instantly got evils. Which was fair enough.

Son checked the figures, out of curiosity. He says in Portugal, the new cases are a few hundred a week. Here? 36,000. (yes, that's three noughts) a DAY. Masks work. Masks should be mandatory. There should be no need at this point for any conversation about this or any libertarian dogma getting in the way of the medical facts.

We're being enculturated to accept the narrative that we have to "live with it" and expect tens of thousands of new cases daily. Other countries - EU, at least - seem to be more intelligent and pragmatic.
I never thought that I would carry on wearing a mask once we didn't have to, yet I have and sometimes when in the supermarket, I am often only one of a few wearing one.

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Did they cite any figures on the prevailance of this vessel damage?

Or whether any factors had been identified that increased the risk of it occuring in those that contract Covid?

Whilst I don't recall the BBC radio programme discussing the prevalence, a quick Google suggests that around 1 in 20 of those who test positive will experience some long-term symptoms, with brain fog almost exclusively affecting older victims.

If you'd like to hear the BBC report, it should be available on their podcast archive here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0405yy3

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Whilst I don't recall the BBC radio programme discussing the prevalence, a quick Google suggests that around 1 in 20 of those who test positive will experience some long-term symptoms, with brain fog almost exclusively affecting older victims.

If you'd like to hear the BBC report, it should be available on their podcast archive here:

Thanks but no thanks!

1 in 20...

*Shudder*

Last edited:

Ghost In The Machine

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I never thought that I would carry on wearing a mask once we didn't have to, yet I have and sometimes when in the supermarket, I am often only one of a few wearing one.
Same here. With 200 plus dying per day I have no idea why masks aren't mandatory. It makes no sense whatsoever. The contrast between EU countries where masks are still enforced, and here, is very stark indeed. As we don't touch on politics here, that's all I can say.

Ghost In The Machine

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

I did read there was some research suggesting people who had the original wild variant were far more likely to get Long Covid than people with subsequent strains, but I can't seem to locate it now to link us.

That said, longterm effects have got to still be common...

I'm seeing some people who've had LC for less long than myself, getting PIP (the benefit that used to be DLA) so am in the tortuous situation of applying right now. I can't do anything I could do before March 2020 in terms of mobility. There's hundreds of thousands of us the same, to some degree or another.

Last edited:

Ghost In The Machine

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Just listened to BBC Radio 5 Live's Naked Scientist programme.

It featured the latest news on long Covid.
In particular, the often reported brain fog has been identified as a result of the Covid virus attacking the tiny blood vessels that supply the brain with oxygen.

Unfortunately, once the vessels are destroyed, the effects are irreversible and the victim may experience stroke-like symptoms, memory loss and general confusion. Research is ongoing into drugs to mitigate these effects, but the expert was pessimistic about being able to help current victims of this condition.

Programme has now moved onto the Wuhan lab-leak hypothesis and the very real dangers behind "gain of function" research.
LOL yes. My brain is fairly buggered. I'm still managing to write but not at the same pace as before. Writing not so hard cos I can look things up (never bothered before), find synonyms etc... Talking is a nightmare. And much of my income previously came from travelling round the country talking at people. It's horrendous, just trying to think of some words, sometimes. I've even forgotten the names of people I've known for decades. Names and nouns are what eludes me, verbally. Sometimes everything eludes me. My favourite so far as I couldn't remember the word "memory" and what came out was "remembery". I think. I couldn't remember the word "travelcard" the other week (it's in my head now) and said to son "Oh you know, that card thing you use to travel cheaper". My kids think it's hilarious.

Even though my living depended on me being good at words I try not to let it get me down, too much. If you stop to think about it, you'd end up very depressed and sad and there's zero point in that. Even if politicians don't care about people, only £££s, by that brutal criteria alone, allowing this to rip through your population is insane because it will have a huge economic effect as people who could previously work and function, no longer can and you're not only having to pay out benefits that might have been avoidable but also losing their contribution to the world.

I'm still working but now at a snail's pace. Nobody is breathing down my neck for work as they all know how ill I've been but I'm still pitching, hitting deadlines, all the usual but at a much less impressive pace and some of that time is currently spent on less lucrative stuff because after this experience, that's the stuff I believe in.

Last edited:

Ghost In The Machine

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Don't be sad, @Frideswide - I was joking, though admittedly the figures here have been among the worst in the country (and in Europe!).
My son's gfriend (double vaxxed) just caught covid from her vaccine denying boss... Luckily she only had mild cold symptoms, felt tired, and lost sense of smell for a couple days - she got it last week and is already recovered. The boss may not be so lucky. Vaccine hesitancy, misinformation and covid denial is causing the breakthrough cases too. Because even if son's gfriend turned out to be prone to breakthrough, she would not have been exposed maybe if her boss had been vaxxed and might not have been breakthru prone... There's a point at which you make this stuff mandatory and bugger their sensitive feelings.

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
THIS! Excellent sleuthing @blessmycottonsocks but I'll pass too :(

I can understand that.
I have to go into hospital for some heart-related tests next Thursday and feel somewhat reluctant to look up the associated worst-case scenarios.
Looking at my cricket gear, which has been put away in a cupboard until next Spring, I do wonder if my current cricket bat will be my last.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
I can understand that.
I have to go into hospital for some heart-related tests next Thursday and feel somewhat reluctant to look up the associated worst-case scenarios.
Looking at my cricket gear, which has been put away in a cupboard until next Spring, I do wonder if my current cricket bat will be my last.

Al the best! You'll stump them and wear out a few more bats!

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I can understand that.

Good luck and stay optimistic.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Another 293 deaths Covid-related deaths announced yesterday in the UK. Yes, it's a distortion because of Monday's artificially low number but it brings the total now to 166,000 according to ONS figures.

And still we have a country that seems to believe that Covid's now history.

Throw in a potentially bad flu season and this winter could prove very rum.

There are loads of gigs that I was thinking of going to but, frankly, I'm still wary.

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/deaths

charliebrown

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
The World Health Organization announced today as it seems covid cases in the world are declining, they are not sure why Britain, Russia, and Europe are seeing a 6% increase.

The German Health Ministry theorized that citizens in these countries are slowing up getting vaccinated.

Putin in Russia told everyone to say home between the dates October 30 to November 7th.

Ghost In The Machine

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Another 293 deaths Covid-related deaths announced yesterday in the UK. Yes, it's a distortion because of Monday's artificially low number but it brings the total now to 166,000 according to ONS figures.

And still we have a country that seems to believe that Covid's now history.

Throw in a potentially bad flu season and this winter could prove very rum.

There are loads of gigs that I was thinking of going to but, frankly, I'm still wary.

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/deaths
Yes, I'm finding mentions of things like the post covid economy" really bizarre given 200 people are dying a day. We're not as post covid as every other country that has mandated masks and social distancing.

charliebrown

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
A million people will die between now and February in Europe and Central Asia according to the World Health Organization backed by dire warnings from Germany Health Department.

A fourth wave is starting.

In the U.S. the CDC claims a half of million people will die in this same period.

charliebrown

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
The Guardian warns that covid in Russia and the UK is coming back with a vengeance.

charliebrown

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Just when you thought you could take off your mask, the Delta virus explodes in 22 U.S. states again.

I guess more mask wearing.

RaM

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Just to show there’s no hard feeling we now have bird flue in the area likely brought it by the geese that winter here, time to fill the bath with disinfectant and lie in it till spring.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
Paging Maximus Otter ... Paging Maximus Otter ...
COVID-19 Danger: White-Tailed Deer Found To Be Huge Reservoir of Coronavirus Infection

New research from the US has shown that white-tailed deer are being infected with SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19 in humans. Antibodies were found in 40% of deer that were tested from January to March 2021 across Michigan, Pennsylvania, Illinois and New York state. A second unpublished study has detected the virus in 80% of deer sampled in Iowa between November 2020 and January 2021.

Such high levels of infection led the researchers to conclude that deer are actively transmitting the virus to one another. The scientists also identified different SARS-CoV-2 variants, suggesting there have been many human-to-deer infections.

The large numbers of white-tailed deer in North America and the fact that they often live close to people provide several opportunities for the disease to move between the two species. This can include wildlife management operations, field research, recreation, tourism and hunting. In fact, hunters are likely to be one of the most obvious sources of potential reinfection as they regularly handle dead animals. It has also been suggested that water sources contaminated with SARS-CoV-2 might provide a pathway for transmission, although this has yet to be proved. ...
FULL STORY: https://scitechdaily.com/covid-19-d...o-be-huge-reservoir-of-coronavirus-infection/

marhawkman

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
hmmm that's not the first thing I've seen that claimed animals could carry it. :/

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
hmmm that's not the first thing I've seen that claimed animals could carry it. :/

True ... There have been studies for some time that indicate animals (e.g., dogs and cats) might serve as COVID vectors. The most significant news in the case of North American white-tailed deer is the scale / frequency of infection found in the animal population.