• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Corpse Mishandling

Guy Makes Fully-Functioning Guitar From His Dead Uncle’s Skeleton

Rather than burying his uncle when he passed away, a musician who calls himself Prince Midnight decided to use the skeleton to make a guitar.

Uncle Filip’s skeleton was originally donated to a local college, it was medically rendered and used by students for years. After the college no longer needed the skeleton, Filip’s family didn’t want to cremate him, so Midnight decided to turn him into a musical instrument.

334414_4992560_updates.jpg

Using the skeleton as a base, Prince attached a guitar neck, pickups, volume knobs, a jack, strings and electronics to turn the bones into a working instrument.

https://www.unilad.co.uk/music/guy-makes-fully-functioning-guitar-from-his-dead-uncles-skeleton/

maximus otter

This British Columbia resident completely flipped out when he found his roommate dead (of natural causes). His actions to hide the death ended up causing him a heap of trouble ...
House arrest for Kamloops man who left roommate’s body next to dumpster

A Kamloops man who disposed of his deceased roommate next to a dumpster outside his North Kamloops apartment building after hiding it inside for weeks will spend the next six months under 24/7 house arrest.

Shane Brownlee, 52, was handed a two-year conditional sentence order and six months’ probation for interference with a dead body. ...

On Nov. 29, 2019, the body of Brownlee’s roommate, David Boltwood, 65, was found rolled up in a carpet ...

Police initially suspected a homicide, but an autopsy later determined Boltwood died of natural causes.

Brownlee had invited Boltwood — who was homeless and had health issues — to stay with him in his apartment unit in October 2019. Brownlee said he returned home one day after Nov. 7 to find Boltwood deceased — and he panicked. He wrapped Boltwood in the rug, which he later placed in a large cardboard box, hiding the body in his apartment unit and in a storage locker before disposing of it outside with the help of a teenager, who was unaware what he was actually moving.

Brownlee then fled the province ...

{The judge ... } ... found Brownlee’s judgment was clouded by extreme anxiety and other ongoing health issues, compounded by a pending eviction, his addiction to alcohol and marijuana, a fear of being blamed for Boltwood’s death and trepidation about being sent back to jail. Brownlee had served time in the previous five years for property crimes.

FULL STORY: https://www.thestar.com/news/canada...who-left-roommates-body-next-to-dumpster.html

Rather than burying his uncle when he passed away, a musician who calls himself Prince Midnight decided to use the skeleton to make a guitar.

Uncle Filip’s skeleton was originally donated to a local college, it was medically rendered and used by students for years. After the college no longer needed the skeleton, Filip’s family didn’t want to cremate him, so Midnight decided to turn him into a musical instrument.

Using the skeleton as a base, Prince attached a guitar neck, pickups, volume knobs, a jack, strings and electronics to turn the bones into a working instrument.

https://www.unilad.co.uk/music/guy-makes-fully-functioning-guitar-from-his-dead-uncles-skeleton/

Possible PR stunt

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/is-this-skeleton-guitar-real/

I'm researching the original outsider (?) artist J.T. Colfax. I didn't know he had done this:

A Body of Work | Westword

A Body of Work
PATRICIA CALHOUN | MAY 22, 1997 | 4:00AM

A Body of Work | Westword

After several years in New York working in galleries and working on his art, Colfax returned to Denver just before New Year's. He got a job with a transfer service, moving dead bodies for morgues. He'd done the job before, with a similar outfit in Los Angeles and then at a San Antonio mortuary; his specialty was first calls, "the actual removal of the dead." In February he switched to M&M Transport, which has the City of Denver's contract for dead-body pickup. Between the first of the year and the start of May, Colfax moved 600 corpses.

He'd drive around alone, listening to the radio--the van got only three stations, and although Dr. Laura made him beat the dashboard, Jay Marvin soon became a favorite--and drinking. One day in late April, a call took Colfax up to the Boulder County morgue. He had to wait for a transfer, so he "shuffled around, went outside to smoke a cigarette, came back in, looked through the pages of a log book." That's when he saw the name: JonBenet Ramsey.

Her body had come in December 26, 1996.
While Colfax worked, he liked to shoot pictures. He decided to take a picture of the Ramsey page in the log book, too.

But he couldn't figure out how to do it without someone noticing the flash. He took the book into a "cooler filled with buckets of brains," he remembers. "It never occurred to me to look for her brain. I was more interested in printed matter." But the cooler had windows, and he worried that someone could still see the flash. "So I just ripped the pages out."

Most of Colfax's morgue shots wound up in his collection, which dates back to his days in L.A. "I was collecting all kinds of material, although I wasn't exactly sure what I would do with it," he says. "I was collecting everything I could get while I could." The array that spills out of his bag includes a 1997 Cadillac calendar that touts hearse models, casket catalogues--"those are just full of lies," he says, "like about the durability of caskets"--and route sheets that show the "average body is worth $13." And photos, lots of photos. Some of the snapshots are relatively harmless--a casket showing through the van doors on a lonely mountain road. Some are not: the photograph of the corpse with a hand-lettered "Happy Birthday" sign by his head, for example. Or pictures of crematoriums. Or a gruesome photo of a corpse on a meat hook (which is how they were stored in one California med center, according to Colfax). He says a tabloid would pay $25,000 for that one.

But Colfax didn't plan to sell the Ramsey log sheet. He wanted to use it to make art. Xeroxing the page, he added a photo of the morgue door, colored the composition, then sent copies off to artist friends all over the country. "I did not profit by it," he says. "In fact, I will pay dearly."

That's because someone in New York tipped off someone else who tipped off the media, which means the police now know--or soon will know, anyway--that Colfax is the guy who took that log page. He's not the person who murdered JonBenet--he wasn't even in town December 26--but sure as shooting, he knows he'll wind up getting punished. And maybe that's a good thing: "I just want to get all of it over with," he says.

Besides, Colfax hears the Boulder jail is very nice, and he doesn't have anywhere to live, anyway. He lost his last place after all the publicity when he was arrested April 30--not for stealing the Ramsey log sheet, but for the photos on another roll of film that he'd dropped off at a local Safeway. Arrested for those photos and the fact that he sort of tried to walk off without paying for the processing. Within minutes Colfax was surrounded by Denver cops, who looked through his photos--the corpse with the noisemaker in her mouth, the casket being hoisted on a DIA forklift--and threw him in jail for three days. On May 7 he was formally charged with "abuse of a corpse"--charged not by Denver, but in Littleton and Englewood, where two of the mortuaries in his pictures are located. "Naturally," he says, "I'm glad that Denver isn't charging me, but it irks me when I see the Denver Police Department lie to the press in saying no photos were taken in Denver." He's slated to appear in Arapahoe County Court June 18.

MAY 22, 1997

The article is nearly 25 years ago - how on earth had I not heard about this? Is there any chance that the article and his comments are the art?

Gordon Bennet!

The article is nearly 25 years ago - how on earth had I not heard about this? Is there any chance that the article and his comments are the art?

I've been browsing some more, and I suspect you're right. There is more forgotten history behind this case:
RamseyArchive (longmontfyi.com)

Corpse abuse, theft from the county morgue, an odd arson attempt at the Ramsey family's former Tudor mansion, Internet prison protests and regular guest spots on JonBenet Ramsey -dissecting talk radio — these were the things that made James Thomas, better known as "J.T. Colfax," an object of fascination and a celebrity among the Ramsey -obsessed.
The first three also landed him in jail.
Now, two years and seven months after Boulder police first arrested the bi-polar, alcoholic, shock performance artist, Colfax is on the street again.

But this is in the context of a totally tragic and strange child murder case:

RamseyArchive (longmontfyi.com)

BOULDER -- The home of a six-year-old girl who was found strangled to death on the day after Christmas is so large that it will take police until Monday morning to finish searching it.
On Thursday, the body of JonBenet Ramsey was discovered in the family basement eight hours after the girl's mother reported her daughter missing and discovered a ransom note from apparent kidnappers.

It was stealing this information from the morgue when this girl was brought in, that landed him in jail o_O Reality weirder than fiction again!

The case has a Wikipedia page. It's tragic and complicated:
Death of JonBenét Ramsey - Wikipedia

Last edited:
the Ramsey family's former Tudor mansion
This is strange in itself considering the Tudor reign was 22 Aug 1485 – 24 Mar 1603 and the first permanent British colony wasn't established in Jamestown, Virginia until 1607. :p

Villagers gather to 'wake the dead' in bizarre ritual

This is the bizarre moment villagers surround a dead corpse as part of a “wake the dead” ritual.

1_JS232228452.jpg

Footage shows locals trying to bring recently deceased man Rabi Nahak back to life by pounding on his chest.

As they do so, a crowd calls out to God while others bang utensils and ring bells.

The clip then shows Rabi being covered by what looks like a flag covered in flowers.

A man then approaches and pours a jug of water over the flowers and directly onto his face.

4_JS232228707.jpg

The baffling scenes took place in the village of Odisha in Eastern India.

Mr Nahak, from the nearby Singarpur village, had recently fallen ill and was pronounced dead after being rushed to hospital.

But instead of taking him to a crematorium, his relatives decided to try to revive him as part of the ritual.

Despite several attempts, the villagers were unsuccessful in their efforts to revive the man.

[Video at link]:

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/weird-news/villagers-gather-wake-dead-bizarre-23877289

maximus otter

If you're transporting a corpse in your car then it's best to drive on the right side of the road.

A man who was stopped for driving on the wrong side of the road in Catalonia was found to have a dead body in the front passenger seat.

Police made the grim discovery after the 66-year-old suddenly turned around at the checkpoint between Spain and France Investigators believe the deceased, an 88-year-old man, had been dead for about three weeks. They say the driver may have been taking him home to Switzerland.

The body, believed to be the driver's partner, had started to decompose. It was covered with a blanket and was wearing a seatbelt, reports Spanish newspaper La Vanguardia. An autopsy will be carried out on Friday to determine how he died, although investigators say there is no evidence of criminality, the Mossos d'Esquadra (Catalan police) tweeted.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-56687729

Don't know how we missed this one, but it's in the latest FT:
News story

A murder victim was embalmed, placed on an armchair on top of a hearse and driven past the Office of the Prime Minister in Trinidad. Seems to be a protest (it was a double, father/son murder), but it got the deceased barred from his own funeral and potentially prosecuted. Imagine seeing that driving down the street! The photo looks ridiculous!

Don't know how we missed this one ...
News story
Interesting lack of news dissemination ... As far as I can tell, the Che Lewis funeral story wasn't carried by any of the international wire services or news outlets. It seems to have been published solely by individual / isolated newspapers and tabloids.

334414_4992560_updates.jpg

maximus otter
Late on this but quite impressed by the guitar. The guy's own look could do with some work.

Late on this but quite impressed by the guitar. The guy's own look could do with some work.
I should explain that if he had dug up or otherwise stolen the corpse/skeleton I'd not be happy, but it seems his family aren't bothered and don't place any particular significance on the bones.

I wouldn't mind someone making a guitar out of me, except I promised my wife I'd be buried with her, if there is anything of me to find. We'd picked out the burial spot and everything before she died.

Interesting lack of news dissemination ... As far as I can tell, the Che Lewis funeral story wasn't carried by any of the international wire services or news outlets. It seems to have been published solely by individual / isolated newspapers and tabloids.

It's in the Trinidad Express, which I linked to, they appear to be a national newspaper (which is why I highlighted the story there). Might be a bit controversial to have that photo in the mainstream? Mind you, considering some of the things they do publish...

Two New Jersey chuckleheads undertook a complicated series of maneuvers in the course of disposing of a corpse that apparently wasn't a victim of foul play. Now they've been arrested and are facing multiple charges. This is one of those cases where the best defense might be to tell the judge they were stoned out of their minds and it all seemed to make sense at the time.
Two New Jersey Men Charged in Connection With Human Corpse Discovered in Family’s Doghouse

Two New Jersey men have been arrested in connection with a dead human body discovered hidden inside a doghouse.

Brian Cheda-Hackembruch, 25, and Matthew R. Thomas, 27, stand accused of disturbing or desecrating human remains in the second degree over the body that was found over the Fourth of July weekend.

On July 3rd, right around noon, authorities received a call about a dead body that was discarded underneath “the deck area” of a home in Andover, N.J., according to the Andover Township Police Department.

“Upon arrival at the residence, officers were met by family members who informed them a body was left in a doghouse underneath the deck area,” the police department said in a news release shared via Facebook on Tuesday afternoon. “The detective and officers began to check the area under the deck when they did indeed confirm a deceased body was contained within the doghouse.” ...

According to police, Cheda-Hackembruch and Thomas left the area where the body had been dumped prior to the arrival of law enforcement and were actually the ones who phoned 911 dispatchers ...

No foul play, however, is believed to have occurred in the head-shaking body disposal case. Just a lot of bad decisions.

According to Andover Township police, Cheda-Hackembruch and Thomas moved the body of a dead Hopatcong, N.J. resident who died from a “medical emergency” in a long-and-winding effort to, for some reason, move them around quite a bit before dumping their corpse.

First, police claim, the two “placed the victim in the trunk of a vehicle belonging to the victim.” After that, they allegedly called a towing company to have the dead person’s car moved all the way to Andover Township. There, the macabre moving team allegedly took the body out of the trunk and put it in the street before finally leaving it “under the deck within the doghouse where the body was later discovered.”

No motive has been offered as to why Cheda-Hackembruch and Thomas may have gone through such an elaborate ritual. ...
FULL STORY: https://lawandcrime.com/crazy/two-n...-human-corpse-discovered-in-familys-doghouse/

Sorry for the delay in getting this posted, but it took a while to jack my jaw off the floor ...

This story runs the gamut from High Tragedy (allegedly abused wife murdering her husband; scarring the kids for life) to Sardonic Dark Comedy (the futile attempts to get rid of the corpus delicti).
Indiana Woman Murdered Husband and Made Her Children Help Move His Dismembered Body: Police

An Indiana woman has left her community in shock after police say she murdered her husband, chopped up his corpse, and then had her two children help her place his dismembered body parts into bags and load them into his vehicle. ...
FULL STORY: https://lawandcrime.com/crime/india...ildren-help-move-his-dismembered-body-police/

Human bone turns up at dog park in eastern North Carolina, prompting investigation

The Rocky Mount Police Department says “a citizen” called the department around 7:20 a.m. Wednesday to report finding the bone at the Best Friend’s Dog Park on Lee Street.

c0c0870724b5833dd1f77e67dc334651--funny-dogs-bones.jpg

A “preliminary investigation” revealed it was human, police said in a news release.

”According to the anthropologist, due to the extensive weathering of the human bone, it is historical, which means it is estimated to be close to one hundred years old,” police said in the release. “The Rocky Mount Police Department will continue to investigate the situation.”

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/state/north-carolina/article253756298.html

maximus otter

Georgia man steals a mortuary van, and the corpse on the gurney in the back rolls right out the rear doors ...
Man who led police on chase in stolen mortuary van turns self in

A Georgia man accused of stealing a mortuary van with a body inside from a crematory parking lot and leading police on a chase has turned himself in to authorities.

Conyers Police Capt. Kim Lucas told FOX 5 News detectives had been looking for 23-year-old Kijon Griffin who was their prime suspect in a number of entering autos cases.

Capt. Lucas said when they spotted him Tuesday afternoon, Griffin saw the mortuary van parked outside a crematory, jumped in it and took off. ...

"Unfortunately there was a body on the gurney inside and when the suspect did take off the gurney rolled out of the van, it did end up in the parking lot, at least thankfully it didn't go out into the road" ...
FULL STORY: https://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/bo...mortuary-van-prior-to-police-chase-in-conyers

An Austrian man kept the corpse of his dead mother in the cellar to collect her pension.

"A man kept the mummified corpse of his mother in a basement for over a year while continuing to receive her pension payments, Austrian police say.

The 89-year-old woman, who reportedly had dementia, is thought to have died of natural causes in June last year.

Her son, 66, is said to have put her body in his cellar and used ice packs and bandages to mask the smell.

Police believe he may have illegally received about €50,000 (£42,000) in payments."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-58510192

An Austrian man kept the corpse of his dead mother in the cellar to collect her pension.

"A man kept the mummified corpse of his mother in a basement for over a year while continuing to receive her pension payments, Austrian police say.

The 89-year-old woman, who reportedly had dementia, is thought to have died of natural causes in June last year.

Her son, 66, is said to have put her body in his cellar and used ice packs and bandages to mask the smell.

Police believe he may have illegally received about €50,000 (£42,000) in payments."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-58510192

This guy didn't keep the corpses but he did claim their pensions for 33 years.

A 58-year-old man was arrested and charged with theft charges amounting to several hundred thousand euro for claiming pensions for his mother and father when they were both dead.

Garda Mick Nagle who is based at the Department of Social Protection arrested Don O’Callaghan of 4 Churchfield Green, Cork, following an investigation.

The accused man was charged with 73 counts and brought before Cork District Court. They relate to a period lasting 33 years. Sixty-eight counts relate to theft and five relate to false documentation in support of the fraudulent claims.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/courtandcrime/arid-40415180.html

Last edited:
This is not a place you want your body sent to after your demise:

Disciplinary documents reveal morbid details of Pocatello funeral home investigation​

POCATELLO — A cremation chamber badly damaged in an explosion, and a decomposing body visible through a window are among the troubles that led to the Sept. 2 raid on Downard Funeral Home.
Disciplinary documents, published Tuesday by Idaho’s Division of Occupational and Professional Licenses, outline how the investigation into Peck began, and detail where bodies were found decomposing inside the funeral home.

With the publishing of the documents, Lance Peck and his two businesses Downard Funeral Home and Portneuf Valley Crematory, have officially had their license revoked by the Idaho Board of Morticians.

The documents detail that investigators stopped at Downard Funeral Home on March 24 for routine inspections. Peck reported his cremation chamber exploded and did not work. At the time, there were six cadavers that Peck said he received from Idaho State University for cremation. Inspectors found no discernable smell and records were in order. The refrigeration unit was also reportedly functioning.
https://www.eastidahonews.com/2021/...ails-of-pocatello-funeral-home-investigation/

Here's a novel way to get rid of a corpse (and possibly the evidence for your being the one who ended up with, if not caused, the corpse in the first place) - stick it in the trunk of a car, leave the keys in the ignition, and place a "free car" sign on it.
Men take vehicle with ‘free car’ sign, later find body in trunk

According to Copiah County Sheriff Byron Swilley, a body was found inside of a vehicle in Copiah County.

Sheriff Swilley said a man drove the vehicle from Byram to Copiah County but realized that there was a body inside the vehicle’s trunk.

Coroner Ellis Stuart said two men found the car in Byram with a “free car” sign on it, with the key inside. They drove the car to Copiah County and looked inside after arriving at a family member’s home.

The body has been identified as 34-year-old Anthony Mccrillis. Stuart said his body had been in there for several days and was found without clothes. ...

“He was identified through his tattoos and confirmed through his immediate family of his identity,” Byram Police Chief David Errington said.

Errington said the victim’s vehicle was seen in Byram, Copiah County, and Jackson over the last few days. Police have not yet determined where the original crime took place. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.wlbt.com/2021/09/20/men-take-vehicle-with-free-car-sign-later-find-body-trunk/

Oops ... Two North Carolina sisters came to review the funeral home's preparation of their mother for viewing, only to find a different corpse in their mother's clothing and casket.
North Carolina sisters find dead stranger wearing their mother’s clothes in her casket

Two grieving sisters from North Carolina opened their mother’s casket and found someone they didn’t recognize dressed in their mom’s clothing.

The pair stumbled onto the morbid mistake on the day of their mother Mary Archer’s viewing at Hunter’s Funeral Home in Ahoskie on Sept. 7, WAVY reported.

“There’s no similarity in the person,” Jennetta Archer told the station. “Their size was way off — when the first person had the clothing on, she was swimming in the clothing because she was so small compared to my mother.”

When Jennetta and sister, Jennifer Taylor, told workers at funeral home, they tried to assure them the person was their mother, the sisters claimed.

It was only once their mother’s body was found to still be in the embalming room that they admitted the mess-up and made a switch so the showing could go on as planned. ...
FULL STORY: https://nypost.com/2021/09/23/north...d-stranger-in-mothers-casket-at-funeral-home/

A double murderer who also sexually interfered with corpses in hospital mortuaries.
He was caught with videos he'd made of himself in the act.

David Fuller: Man admits 1987 murders and abusing corpses

A hospital worker has admitted murdering two women in 1987, and sexually abusing at least 100 female corpses, including children.

David Fuller, 67, of Heathfield, East Sussex, attacked Wendy Knell and Caroline Pierce in Tunbridge Wells.

On the fourth day of his murder trial at Maidstone Crown Court, Fuller changed his plea to guilty.

He previously admitted sexually abusing bodies in two Kent hospital morgues over 12 years.

Fuller had earlier admitted to killing the women subject to "diminished responsibility", but denied murder.

Back