• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Count Charles Edward d'Arquires [AKA: Aleister Ataturk], Son Of Aleister Crowley

FrKadash

Justified & Ancient
I thought this topic might develop and deserve it's own thread. So anyway, I recently read the article Two Fragments on Ataturk by the late abstract artist Ithell Colquhoun (also a member of Kenneth Grant's Nu Isis Lodge) in Starfire volume 2, number 4 and was surprised to discover that AC's son (b. 2 May 1937 Newcastle-on-Tyne, died on 20 November 2002 in Chalfont St Peter, Bucks) by Patricia Deirdre MacAlphine made several appearances on local (Cornwall?) TV & radio in his later years. I would be really interested to see footage if it still exists somewhere.

son_Ataturk.jpg

Here are some samples from the article by Colquhoun:

''In its review of the local weeklies on January 5, the BBC’s Morning
Sou’west programme from Plymouth referred to The Cornishman’s
interview of January 1.''

''On January 16 the local Radio News at 5.50pm carried an
announcement that Harold Wilson, then Prime Minister, had declined
an invitation to become a member of the Supreme Council of Great
Britain. The Count required twelve members with himself as thirteenth...''

''On January 23 BBC TV put on a brief item showing the Count
arrayed in his full regalia with his Acting Private Secretary, both in a
limousine which flew the Count’s pennants. They seemed about to set off
from Madron for Downing Street where they hoped to see the Prime
Minister and the Archbishop of Canterbury. In fact, this was a rehearsal
for the event planned to take place on January 26.''

You don't give the year but, from the Wilson reference, I would be surprised if these local news items were preserved on film or videotape. Whole series from those years were regarded as ephemeral and erased.

It might be worth an enquiry on a board such as Roobarb's British TV and Film Forum where they lament the lost episodes of George & Mildred! :rolleyes:

Aleister Macalpine...aka Charles Edward D'Arquies born May 2nd 1937 (born the day after his planned birth of Beltane day) lived a very unhappy schizophrenic life. I was there in Madron, Cornwall the day he set he set off for London as the Count Charles Edward D'Arquies with Peter Bishop in tow, they stayed at the Dorchester Hotel (1976) His son Aleister Macalpine (born June 20th 1968) is my brother, named after him. We treasure his sad memory and the pressures that were unfortunately bestowed upon him by his father Aleister Crowley. He became a deeply religious man in his later years, and was found living on a park bench, just off the Talbot road in London, with his suitcases neatly organized....so sad! I do have footage of Dierdre Mclellan(not Macalpine) interviewed by channel 4 that maybe of interest.

His son Aleister Macalpine (born June 20th 1968) is my brother, named after him.

Fascinating personal account! Do you have any pictures you could share of your father? I've not seen any photo of him other than that one as a child with AC. So is your grandfather Aleister Crowley too? I have seen that interview footage of Dierdre already, thank you though.

darquies it is fascinating to hear that! thank you!

I'm getting that I don't have the permission to view those :(

I have permission! There's a distinguished looking chap in Edwardian regalia (lots of gold rope!), and a couple of chaps in a wooden boat. One of them (yellow jacket) looks quite concerned, and the other (brown jacket) looks full of ennui...

I can see them! (It's a miracle!!!!!) I really like the gold braid one, good looking chap too.

Thank you darquies... :D

Sings:

All the world is sad and dreary,
Ev'rywhere I roam
Oh, darquies, how my heart grows weary,
Far from the old folks at home

The chap in the yellow waterproof is Aleister Ataturk...Charles Edward D'Arquires, don't know the year.
The newspaper article was published in the Cornishman, April 1976.
The photo of Count Charles Edward D'Arquires in full Supreme Council of Great Britain Regalia was taken in 1980, also attached is the inscription written by him on the back of this photo.
To say that he was eccentric was an understatement!

Thanks very much for your insights Darquies. Are you and your siblings (brother) still in Cornwall now?

Aleister Macalpine...aka Charles Edward D'Arquies born May 2nd 1937 (born the day after his planned birth of Beltane day) lived a very unhappy schizophrenic life. I was there in Madron, Cornwall the day he set he set off for London as the Count Charles Edward D'Arquies with Peter Bishop in tow, they stayed at the Dorchester Hotel (1976) His son Aleister Macalpine (born June 20th 1968) is my brother, named after him. We treasure his sad memory and the pressures that were unfortunately bestowed upon him by his father Aleister Crowley. He became a deeply religious man in his later years, and was found living on a park bench, just off the Talbot road in London, with his suitcases neatly organized....so sad! I do have footage of Dierdre Mclellan(not Macalpine) interviewed by channel 4 that maybe of interest.
Thank you for sharing your story , very sad to hear he didn't live a very happy life .Is the interview you speak of from the "Masters of Darkness" series ?

Thank you very much ! It was a great read yet somewhat sad as I suspected it might be , but at least he didn't go to the grave without having made an impression first.

Back