• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Courtroom Antics & Trial Oddities

Bilderberger

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
This made me laugh. A lot.

There is little funnier than the drunken antics of a Judge in a kebab house....................

"Judge accused of police station antics

Martin Wainwright
Wednesday September 24, 2003
The Guardian

A drunken judge who blundered into an argument in a late-night kebab shop sat impassively in the dock yesterday as a court heard a catalogue of bizarre antics after his arrest by police.
Deputy district judge David Messenger called two officers "arseholes", tried to wheedle favours from a desk sergeant, broke a police station alarm bell and refused to stop banging on his cell door on the grounds that he was "a drummer and enjoyed drumming".

Stinking of drink, according to the prosecution at Scarborough magistrates' court, he squared up to one officer and challenged others to prove that they were really police. When asked if he wanted anyone to be informed of his arrest, he replied: "The chief constable of North Yorkshire."

Judge Messenger, 49, was arrested at the Best Kebab takeaway in Scarborough in May, after trying to intervene in an argument in the kitchen. Richard Newbury, prosecuting, told the court that two constables had virtually calmed down a row between the shop owner and three other men, when Messenger lurched in, claiming to be solicitor for one of the group.

He was asked to provide evidence of his connection, but replied instead: "What proof have you got that you are police officers?" Mr Newbury said: "This rather went to confirm their assessment of him, as both officers were in full police uniform and had a fully marked police car outside the door."

The judge denies being drunk and disorderly, wilfully obstructing police officers and doing £188 damage to a cell bell button. He had visited the kebab shop from his home in nearby Valley Bridge Parade, a genteel part of Scarborough sweeping down to the sands of the resort's South Bay.

The court heard that he kept up a catalogue of inventive threats as PC Patrick Millar and PC Mark Whitehouse tried to persuade him to leave the kitchen, walked him out of the shop and finally arrested him in their squad car. He shouted to passers-by: "Tell them I'm a solicitor and a county court judge," told startled kebab customers "this'll cost the police £5,000," and protested, as he vanished into the police car: "I'm not getting put in there by you two arseholes."

Mr Newbury said the tirades had continued at Scarborough police station to such an extent that other prisoners had to be moved to more remote cells, to try to give them a night's sleep.

Judge Messenger, whose county court job frequently involves deciding between irreconcilable versions of events, is to contest the allegations. The trial is expected to continue for up to four days. "

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,3604,1048467,00.html

Probably the finest legal system in the world...

As they say:"Breeding will out."

I particularly enjoyed his justification for banging on the cell door.

He is "a drummer and enjoyed drumming"

You can't say fairer than that.

Re: Hilarious Drunken Judge Antics

Stinking of drink, according to the prosecution at Scarborough magistrates' court, he squared up to one officer and challenged others to prove that they were really police. When asked if he wanted anyone to be informed of his arrest, he replied: "The chief constable of North Yorkshire."

lets hope the reply was: "certainly, he's locked up in the next cell"

nice to see a judge not trying to use his position to escape charge btw:hmph:

If he'd been a bit more sober he might have been able to manage the funny handshake and "square" it the constables involved once they knew he was "on the level".;)

The Verdict

Swearing at police costs drunken judge £8,000

Martin Wainwright
Tuesday September 30, 2003
The Guardian

A minor judge's brief spell of laying down the law came to an abrupt halt yesterday when he was convicted of drunkenly swearing at police officers in a row at a kebab shop.
The lord chancellor is expected to remove solicitor David Messenger from his post at Scarborough county court, North Yorkshire, after magistrates censured the deputy district judge and ordered him to pay £8,000 in fines and legal costs.

Messenger, 49, maintained his innocence throughout his four-day trial and repeated his protests outside Selby magistrates court after the verdict.

He admitted calling two constables "arseholes" but said that they had frightened and disorientated him by frog-marching him out of the Best Kebab takeaway in Scarborough in May.

His defence was dismissed by the bench whose chairwoman, Marilyn Jones, said prosecution evidence was "compelling". The court had heard that Messenger had tried to influence a desk sergeant at Scarborough police station, asked for the chief constable of North Yorkshire to be informed of his arrest, and warned the two constables that his arrest would cost them £5,000 each.

He was also described as the worst and most obstructive prisoner staff at the police station could remember, after he refused to cooperate and then banged on his cell door so incessantly that other prisoners had to be moved to get some sleep. Dr Jones told him: "You don't need me to underline that you have not only let yourself down but your profession. Any punishment we give you will be minor compared to the loss of your standing in the community."

Messenger, a solicitor of Scarborough, was convicted of being drunk and disorderly, obstructing two police officers, and criminal damage to an emergency call button in his cell. He was fined £800, ordered to pay £180 compensation for the damage, and more than £6,000 in court costs.

A spokesman for the Department for Constitutional Affairs said: "This judge has not been sitting and a report on the issue will be prepared for the lord chancellor, who will make a decision about his sitting in future."

Messenger said he would appeal against the verdict, which followed his blundering into an argument between the kebab shop owner and three men, whom the two police officers had almost succeeded in calming when he intervened.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,3604,1052486,00.html

These bloody drunken yobs! Hanging's to good for them :mad:

What an excellent judge. How understanding and compassionate he will now become, having been in the dock himself after events got unfortunately out of hand, as can happen to anyone.

My arse. ;)

The part I find hard to believe is that they moved other prisoners so that they could sleep :confused:
a) when were they ever so nice to people in cells?
b) wouldn't it have been easier to move just him?

The police who arrested him must have loved it. The police hate the judiciary, for the most part.

Guilty of serial killing (and trying to look fabulous)

Serial Killer Fights to Wear Makeup

Wed Oct 15, 9:43 AM ET

MELBOURNE, Australia - One of Australia's most notorious convicted killers is launching a legal battle for the right to wear makeup while he serves his life sentence, enraging the family of one of his victims.

Paul Denyer, 31, was jailed for a minimum 30-year term for murdering three young women in the southern city of Melbourne over seven weeks in 1993.

He is launching an appeal with the Victoria state Civil and Administrative Tribunal against a refusal by Barwon Prison authorities to let him buy and wear makeup.

"The fact that he has demonstrated his hatred of women and now he wants to be one, I find that pretty disgusting," said Victoria state Corrections Minister Andre Haermeyer, who vowed to fight to have Denyer's appeal overturned.

"I think it's a frivolous application and I think it's offensive, terribly offensive, to the families of his victims ... and that's why we're fighting it all the way," he said.

Brian Russell, whose daughter Natalie was strangled by Denyer after slitting her throat, said the case was a "huge shock" and a waste of taxpayers' money and the resources that go into a legal appeal.

"If you kill three people, then you give away all rights and this farce should not be allowed to continue," Russell added. "This has just rubbed salt into our wounds which, after 10 years, are still open."

No date has been set for the hearing.

Source

From the Yorkshire Evening Post, 13 March 1999:

Double Killer Set For Sex Change

A double murderer jailed at Leeds Crown Court is among six prisoners likely to undergo sex-change surgery.

Douglas Wakefield, who killed an uncle and a fellow prisoner, is expected to seek treatment after the Prison Service dropped its legal opposition to requests by convicted kidnapper John Pilley for "gender reassignment surgery" on the NHS.

Piley, 46, convicted of kidnapping taxi driver Linda Charlesworth in 1981, has already developed breasts after hormone replacement treatment at Leicestershire's Gartree Prison and is expected to undergo the £11,000 operation at Leicester Royal Infirmary next month.

Piley had taken legal action after being refused permission for the surgery.

Wakefield, at present a life prisoner at Channings Wood in Devon, is reported to be now known as Dee and allowed to wear earrings and decorate his cell with lace curtains and flowers.

Another prisoner seeking gender reassignment is armed robber David Cross, who is serving 17 years at Parkhurst on the Isle of Wight after robbing a Sussex post office. He is taking hormone treatment and is known as Kelly Denise Richards.

At his trial Leeds Crown Court heard that, Wakefield, now 51, attacked his 43 year old Uncle Derek after he laughed when he told him he wanted a sex-change operation.

Wakefield strangled his uncle, hit him with a hammer, garotted him and then stabbed him 48 times with a garden fork before burrying the body in the garden of their house in Foundry Place, Gipton, Leeds.

Only four years later he was convicted of manslaughter after killing fellow prisoner Brian Peake in Parkhurst Prison. He strangled him with a shoelace, then stabbed and battered him.

Once regarded as one of the most violent men behind bars, he twice took prison officers hostage, trying to kill one of them. By 1996 he had spent a total of 1,200 days in solitary confinement.

It is believed that his behaviour improved after the start of his campaign for a sex-change operation in 1980.

He was granted legal aid in November 1996 when he was then serving his sentence at Frankland Jail, Durham, where he claimed he had always wanted to be a woman.

In a newspaper interview in September 1996 Wakefield claimed he was repeatedly sexually abused as a child from the age of nine.

He said that for as long as he could remember he had always been frightened of men and never wanted association with anything masculine.

He drifted into prostitution in a failed attempt to relieve his frustration and to earn extra money for the sex-change operation and began drinking heavily. By the time he was 27 he had 29 convictions for burglary, assault and drunkeness.

These type of stories pop up fairly regularly, most are so tedious that I don't bother archiving them but the above is quite a good overview. Related links:

http://www.pfc.org.uk/news/1999/prison.htm
http://www.pfc.org.uk/news/1999/prison2.htm

Wanking Judge!

Gives a whole new meaning to taking the law into your own hands...!

BORDEAUX, France, Oct 17 (Reuters) - A French judge was placed under official investigation for "sexual exposure" in a courtroom, prosecutors said on Friday, after a newspaper reported the judge masturbated while a lawyer pleaded her case.
The 39-year old judge masturbated for several minutes on Wednesday while listening to a female lawyer addressing the court in a case dealing with a dispute between neighbours, regional paper La Charente Libre said.
One of the paper's reporters saw the judge "making unambiguous gestures after discretely lifting his judicial robe and opening his trousers," it said.
The judge was temporarily suspended from his professional duties and examined by a psychiatrist, a prosecutor in the southwestern town of Angouleme said.

I was just about to post this with the subject line:

"All rise for the judge" ;)

Emps

Re: Wanking Judge!

McAvennie said:
The 39-year old judge masturbated for several minutes on Wednesday while listening to a female lawyer addressing the court in a case dealing with a dispute between neighbours...

Was the accused given a discharge?

No, the accused was taken firmly in hand, and given a severe beating.

I was expecting the case to be a hot sex case involving a sexy young wife goingout and boning men behind her husband's back. Quite what was giving him the horn is unclear.

OK - let these thugs have their sex change operation. But make them serve out their full sentence in mens' prisons. Let them find out what it's really like to be a woman.

Anybody remember the old novelty r&b song "Here Comes The Judge"? :p

i would want to see a picture of the lawyer befor passing judgement....

This on David Cross:

"David Cross, who is now known as Kelly, wounded a postmaster and his eight-month-old son when he opened fire with a shotgun during a raid on a post office in Polegate, East Sussex, in 1991. Cross said he had been trying to raise money for a sex-change operation in Switzerland. He wore a blonde wig and stockings under his mechanic's overalls during the robbery."

A very nasty piece of work.

At least in Silence of the Lambs they actually bothered to point out that the psycho killer wasn't really a transsexual. Maybe it's about time that real life immitated art...

I thought this thread was going to about the even more horrid tale
of the English hanging judge whose trousers had to be laundered
whenever he consigned a fit young man to the gallows.

The story emerged some ten or more years ago in the memoirs of
his valet - or something like. Chapter and verse I can't recall.

And to save you all the bother, I'll do the "How's it hanging, Judge?"
line now. :p

Yup James, I remember reading that too. The judge was the one who passed sentence on Derek Bentley in the 'Let him have it!' case.

The dirty old sod got uber-jollies from condemning young men to death. What a twisted git. Why didn't he just wear ladies' pants under his robes and pay prozzies to whip him like all the others do?:gaga:

Rapping judge

I think we'd rather have wanking and excitement over deaths than this:

Judge Said to Pen a Rap in Eminem Ruling

Sat Oct 18, 2:48 PM ET

MOUNT CLEMENS, Mich. - A judge has dismissed a defamation lawsuit filed by a former schoolmate of rapper Eminem (news - web sites) — and she included a rap of her own to explain the ruling.

In a footnote to the opinion issued Friday, Judge Deborah Servitto added a 10-stanza rhyme, The Macomb Daily reported in Saturday's editions.

The verse stated, in part: "It is therefore this Court's ultimate position, that Eminem is entitled to summary disposition."

DeAngelo Bailey claimed that Eminem slandered him in the song "Brain Damage" from his 1999 disc "The Slim Shady LP."

The lyrics include: "I was harassed daily by this fat kid named DeAngelo Bailey. An eighth-grader who acted obnoxious, 'cause his father boxes. So every day he'd shove me into the lockers."

In the judge's opinion, however, Eminem's lyrics are "stories no one would take as fact, they're an exaggeration of a childish act."

Bailey, 32, had sought
Judge Said to Pen a Rap in Eminem Ruling

Sat Oct 18, 2:48 PM ET

MOUNT CLEMENS, Mich. - A judge has dismissed a defamation lawsuit filed by a former schoolmate of rapper Eminem (news - web sites) — and she included a rap of her own to explain the ruling.

In a footnote to the opinion issued Friday, Judge Deborah Servitto added a 10-stanza rhyme, The Macomb Daily reported in Saturday's editions.

The verse stated, in part: "It is therefore this Court's ultimate position, that Eminem is entitled to summary disposition."

DeAngelo Bailey claimed that Eminem slandered him in the song "Brain Damage" from his 1999 disc "The Slim Shady LP."

The lyrics include: "I was harassed daily by this fat kid named DeAngelo Bailey. An eighth-grader who acted obnoxious, 'cause his father boxes. So every day he'd shove me into the lockers."

In the judge's opinion, however, Eminem's lyrics are "stories no one would take as fact, they're an exaggeration of a childish act."

Bailey, 32, had sought $1 million from Eminem, 31, whose real name is Marshall Mathers III.

Bailey's attorney Byron Nolen said he was surprised at the ruling and its accompanying verse. "I don't know how the Court of Appeals would look at something like that," he said.
million from Eminem, 31, whose real name is Marshall Mathers III.

Bailey's attorney Byron Nolen said he was surprised at the ruling and its accompanying verse. "I don't know how the Court of Appeals would look at something like that," he said.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...e=10&u=/ap/20031018/ap_on_en_mu/people_eminem

*ahem, ahem*

I wonder if it was a hung Jury in that case.

ok, ok, I apologise, look I'm getting my coat off the peg now...

[15] <grifferz> SURELY IT IS A PENAL MATTER!!

Oh come come

That lawyer was asking for it

Flaunting her briefs in Court

*Badoom-Tish*

we got a High Court Judge on the NE circuit who has been variously reprimanded by the Lord Chief Justice for fondling a female Usher backstage and using the term ‘Nigger in the woodpile’ when summing up in the case of an Asian defendant

this worthy is still sitting on the Bench

Back