COVID-19 / Coronavirus: Disinformation, Fake News & Scams

Lb8535

Very charming snow person
Reaction score
Every year I have something like a 1 in 70 chance of dying. I have zero chance of living to 130. If the other bloke is scared, he/she/it can stay indoors.
Me too. Get uour brakes checked and wear a mask.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
This thread needs to continue without the low-level name-calling from both 'sides'.

Otherwise it will not continue at all.

Also, the thread title is not 'What I think about the Coronavirus'.

Cochise

Never give up, never surrender
Reaction score
I'm sorry, I started it. Unreserved apologies all round.

I'm under stress in my personal life at the moment, and desperately concerned that the economic effects of what is happening is going to blight my grandchildren's future. But that's no excuse for being petulant.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm sorry, I started it. Unreserved apologies all round.

I'm under stress in my personal life at the moment, and desperately concerned that the economic effects of what is happening is going to blight my grandchildren's future. But that's no excuse for being petulant.
Appreciate you candour and apology.

Lb8535

Very charming snow person
Reaction score
This thread needs to continue without the low-level name-calling from both 'sides'.

Otherwise it will not continue at all.

Also, the thread title is not 'What I think about the Coronavirus'.
Quite true. Time to take a break. What will happen will happen and I can't control it - which is of course why I at least am getting edgy. Neither hope nor trying to proclaim the purported facts in infinite detail is going to help a bit. Sorry.

Naughty_Felid

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Cochise, I respect, as we've pm'd and I hate to think he is worried about his family. I also apologize to him.

The Otters post was completely repugnant and he drags this place down.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Cochise, I respect, as we've pm'd and I hate to think he is worried about his family. I also apologize to him.

The Otters post was completely repugnant and he drags this place down.
Please counter arguments alone and desist with the personal comments. I strongly advise you to put Maximus Otter on IGNORE.

The next lapse from anybody receives a warning.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
A charming bunch.

A Muslim campaign group that describes coronavirus as a punishment from god has been banned from running its advertisements on Facebook.

Cage once described Mohammed Emwazi, who was filmed beheading Isis prisoners, as a “beautiful young man”.

The group, based in east London, was using Facebook and YouTube to raise £400,000 during Ramadan in its campaign called Reviving Divine Justice. Facebook data shows that it ran 16 adverts, four of which were banned, including a video about coronavirus, launched on April 22.

Cage has spent £9,198 in 12 months, of which £1,729 was spent in the past week. It ran eight adverts during Ramadan last year. Ramadan, when charity giving is particularly encouraged, began on April 23 and finished on Saturday.

The coronavirus video was taken down because it broke Facebook’s advertising policies but its Facebook page has 248,000 followers and the video is still running there. The YouTube videos are free to upload.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/...s-apocalyptic-online-ads-are-banned-t36vsbvc9

PeteS

Seeking refuge
Reaction score
Honestly reading this thread you'd think some people have been living in a cellar eating crusts and drinking their own piss. That last thing is probably true actually judging by the tone of these posters.

You lot live in a society that gives you everything and you can't handle being put out for a few weeks.

You've not been asked to go to work daily stacking shelves or treating patients and that has been really stressful. You lot have not have had to do anything just stay in doors for a bit.

You've done yourself no credit during this pandemic.
But it's not quite that simple for many people, Naughty. It's not as simple as just staying in for a few weeks with no consequences.. People have lost their jobs and some are unlikely to find employment for a long time, if ever. Some aren't able to cover bills, even with the furlough scheme, causing endless stress. Partners and children will have been abused, some with serious illnesses will have died for fear of seeking medical attention. Those with mental health issues will be in dire straits. Some will have been scammed. The list is endless and the consequences very very far reaching, and proof that modern societies are fragile indeed. (And by the way this comes from someone who normally agrees with everything you say:D)

Naughty_Felid

Antediluvian
Reaction score
But it's not quite that simple for many people, Naughty. It's not as simple as just staying in for a few weeks with no consequences.. People have lost their jobs and some are unlikely to find employment for a long time, if ever. Some aren't able to cover bills, even with the furlough scheme, causing endless stress. Partners and children will have been abused, some with serious illnesses will have died for fear of seeking medical attention. Those with mental health issues will be in dire straits. Some will have been scammed. The list is endless and the consequences very very far reaching, and proof that modern societies are fragile indeed. (And by the way this comes from someone who normally agrees with everything you say:D)
- When I can get a day off I'll respond. Possibly a PM would be better.

uair01

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
USB stick protects against 5G :)

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-52810220

'Holographic nano-layer catalyser'

The 5GBioShield was recommended by a member of Glastonbury Town Council's 5G Advisory Committee, which has called for an inquiry into 5G.

One of nine external members, Toby Hall, said: "We use this device and find it helpful," and provided a link to its website, which describes it as a USB key that "provides protection for your home and family, thanks to the wearable holographic nano-layer catalyser, which can be worn or placed near to a smartphone or any other electrical, radiation or EMF [electromagnetic field] emitting device".

"Through a process of quantum oscillation, the 5GBioShield USB key balances and re-harmonises the disturbing frequencies arising from the electric fog induced by devices, such as laptops, cordless phones, wi-fi, tablets, et cetera," it adds.

Ogdred Weary

No Lives Matter
Reaction score

The 5GBioShield was recommended by a member of Glastonbury Town Council's 5G Advisory Committee, which has called for an inquiry into 5G.

One of nine external members, Toby Hall, said: "We use this device and find it helpful," and provided a link to its website, which describes it as a USB key that "provides protection for your home and family, thanks to the wearable holographic nano-layer catalyser, which can be worn or placed near to a smartphone or any other electrical, radiation or EMF [electromagnetic field] emitting device".

"Through a process of quantum oscillation, the 5GBioShield USB key balances and re-harmonises the disturbing frequencies arising from the electric fog induced by devices, such as laptops, cordless phones, wi-fi, tablets, et cetera," it adds.
Glastonbury does tend to attract "eccentrics".

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
Here's the May 29th installment of the Associated Press' weekly review and debunking of COVID and COVID-related rumors and fake news (among other fake news items):

NOT REAL NEWS: A look at what didn’t happen this week
https://apnews.com/8869612df303dfa444df98a43dfff035

NOTE: There are only two COVID-related stories in this week's installment, and they appear at the end of the listing.

PeteS

Seeking refuge
Reaction score

I'll buy one and then I can be totally free of 5G. Because I have the greatest respect for town councils and their opinions especially when I remove my tin foil hat at night.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Pranking the conspiraloons.

A bunch of Anti-This-That-and-The-Other protesters led by conspiracy theorist Gemma O’Doherty got a taste of their own medicine yesterday when ace pranksters TPM upstaged their beach protest by beating them at their own game.

Gemma, fellow ex-journalist John Waters and a group including like-minded tricolour-waving “patriots" had converged on Blackrock beach in Co Louth to hold another demonstration objecting to the ‘coronavirus hoax lockdown’, immigration, vaccines and of course 5G masts.

But 'Garda Master' Gemma hadn’t bargained on brilliant local pot-stirrers TPM starting a hilarious counter protest where they claimed to be a group called Dundalk Against Change, shouting 'Bring Back Dial-Up Internet'.

The lads’ donned tinfoil hats for the satirical Stand on the Strand, in which they basically parodied Gemma and drowned her protesters out with a loudspeaker while shouting, “The internet is too fast today”.

https://www.dublinlive.ie/whats-on/comedy-news/gemma-odoherty-protest-hijacked-tpm-18319515

Ogdred Weary

No Lives Matter
Reaction score
Pranking the conspiraloons.

A bunch of Anti-This-That-and-The-Other protesters led by conspiracy theorist Gemma O’Doherty got a taste of their own medicine yesterday when ace pranksters TPM upstaged their beach protest by beating them at their own game.

Gemma, fellow ex-journalist John Waters and a group including like-minded tricolour-waving “patriots" had converged on Blackrock beach in Co Louth to hold another demonstration objecting to the ‘coronavirus hoax lockdown’, immigration, vaccines and of course 5G masts.

But 'Garda Master' Gemma hadn’t bargained on brilliant local pot-stirrers TPM starting a hilarious counter protest where they claimed to be a group called Dundalk Against Change, shouting 'Bring Back Dial-Up Internet'.

The lads’ donned tinfoil hats for the satirical Stand on the Strand, in which they basically parodied Gemma and drowned her protesters out with a loudspeaker while shouting, “The internet is too fast today”.

https://www.dublinlive.ie/whats-on/comedy-news/gemma-odoherty-protest-hijacked-tpm-18319515
image.jpg

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
This is a weird and hard-to-believe story, which I think lives in this forum. There's a newish, small American company - numbering a science fiction author and adult-content model among its few staff - which is apparently a database for worldwide C19 cases. Although its story stinks to high heaven, especially considering how influential it apparently is. Simply astonishing. (I've edited this post twice – once to replace column with forum and once to spell 'adult' correctly.)

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...-world-health-organization-hydroxychloroquine

Last edited:

Tribble

Killjoy Boffin
Reaction score
Madagascar's education minister has been fired over plans to order more than $2m (£1.6m) worth of sweets for schoolchildren.

Rijasoa Andriamanana said pupils would be given three lollipops each to mask the "bitter" aftertaste of an untested herbal remedy for coronavirus.

The plan was called off after objections from Madagascar's president.

President Andry Rajoelina is promoting the herbal tonic Covid-Organics as a coronavirus cure.

Several African countries continue to import Covid-Organics believing it will help combat the virus, but the World Health Organization has warned that no proven cure exists.

Madagascar's National Medical Academy has also cast doubt on the efficacy of the artemisia-based drink, saying it had the potential to damage people's health.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-52929925

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Krazy Karachi.

Officials acknowledge some hospitals are full but insist there are still large numbers of beds available elsewhere, and are making public information about where are they are, whilst new facilities are in the process of being built in Karachi. But doctors fear the number of critical cases will continue to rise, and say their efforts to treat patients are being hampered by conspiracy theories and mistrust.

"Many ill people try and stay at home… Only when their condition has gotten a lot worse do they come to the hospital," a leading doctor in Quetta told the BBC.

As a result, he said, large numbers of his patients died shortly after arrival or in the ambulance.

"They don't even give us the chance to try and treat them," he lamented.

As well as concerns about the quality of medical care, and a reluctance for family members to be quarantined, bizarre rumours are swirling around, including claims that doctors are being paid by the World Health Organisation (WHO) to falsely declare patients as coronavirus sufferers.

One doctor from Karachi, who asked to remain anonymous, told the BBC she was recently contacted by a friend asking for medical advice, saying: "'My son is having flu and fever but I do not want to take him to the hospital because doctors are just declaring every fever is Covid, and they're taking 500 rupees ($3; £2.40) per case'."

The theories might sound risible, but they have dangerous consequences - and not just for the patients. Hospitals in Karachi, Peshawar and Lahore have all seen incidents of patients' families attacking staff.

At the Jinnah Postgraduate Medical Centre in Karachi, an isolation ward was trashed by a mob when the body of a patient wasn't handed over immediately to the family.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-52925286

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
This Scientific American opinion piece from two academics describes their survey research into misinformation, measures taken to remove or flag it, and the degree to which audiences retain or continue to believe it.

This article provides a summary overview of the surveys, the results and the authors' conclusions.
Good News and Bad News about COVID-19 Misinformation

The good news is that people don’t necessarily believe it; the bad news is that they don’t necessarily believe valid news about the pandemic either

Recently, a video called “Plandemic” went viral on social media. PolitiFact flagged eight fake or misleading claims it made about COVID-19. YouTube and Facebook removed the video; Twitter issued “unsafe” warnings and blocked relevant hashtags. All of the platforms couched their content moderation decisions in terms of the generic “violations of community standards” language, and expressed concerns that the video could cause “imminent harm” as Facebook put it.

Such swift, draconian decisions assume not just that the content is ricocheting around the internet—indeed, data on trending and sharing easily corroborate that—but that people remember and believe the it. Do they?

To understand both the reach and impact of COVID-19 misinformation, we carried out a pair of surveys examining three prominent categories of fake claims in the media: headlines concerning treatments for the disease; the origins of the virus; and government response to it. ...
FULL STORY: https://blogs.scientificamerican.co...s-and-bad-news-about-covid-19-misinformation/

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Irish professor spreads fake and dangerous news.

A University College Dublin (UCD) professor has been asked to resign from a leading European Union scientific committee over online claims she made about the Covid-19 pandemic.

In an hour-long interview which has been viewed hundreds of thousands of times, Prof Dolores Cahill promised to “debunk the narrative” of the pandemic.

Lockdown and social distancing is not needed to stop the spread of the virus, she said. People who recover are then “immune for life” after 10 days and deaths and illnesses could have been prevented by extra vitamins, she claimed.

People with underlying health conditions, such as cystic fibrosis, could freely engage in society during the pandemic after spending a few weeks building up their immunity in this manner, she went on.

Opposing vaccinations, Ms Cahill said “politicians and the media” are using Covid-19 “as a fear-mongering propaganda tool to try and take away rights from people and to make them more sick and to force vaccinations on us.”

However, the European Commission said the claims made by Ms Cahill, a professor of translational medicine in UCD, could cause “significant harm”, if taken literally. Following this, Ms Cahill was asked to resign as vice chair of the Scientific Committee of the Innovative Medicines Initiative (IMI), a partnership between the European Commission and the drugs industry to promote new drugs.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ire...m-eu-committee-over-covid-19-claims-1.4277698

Stormkhan

Disturbingly familiar
Reaction score
Did she provide any scientific or medical evidence to back up her assertions or was she just 'putting it out there'?

Ogdred Weary

No Lives Matter
Reaction score

A University College Dublin (UCD) professor has been asked to resign from a leading European Union scientific committee over online claims she made about the Covid-19 pandemic.

In an hour-long interview which has been viewed hundreds of thousands of times, Prof Dolores Cahill promised to “debunk the narrative” of the pandemic.

Lockdown and social distancing is not needed to stop the spread of the virus, she said. People who recover are then “immune for life” after 10 days and deaths and illnesses could have been prevented by extra vitamins, she claimed.

People with underlying health conditions, such as cystic fibrosis, could freely engage in society during the pandemic after spending a few weeks building up their immunity in this manner, she went on.

Opposing vaccinations, Ms Cahill said “politicians and the media” are using Covid-19 “as a fear-mongering propaganda tool to try and take away rights from people and to make them more sick and to force vaccinations on us.”

However, the European Commission said the claims made by Ms Cahill, a professor of translational medicine in UCD, could cause “significant harm”, if taken literally. Following this, Ms Cahill was asked to resign as vice chair of the Scientific Committee of the Innovative Medicines Initiative (IMI), a partnership between the European Commission and the drugs industry to promote new drugs.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ire...m-eu-committee-over-covid-19-claims-1.4277698
That's surely a sacking rather than a "being asked to resign" situation?

Cochise

Never give up, never surrender
Reaction score

It does sound a bit batty but are we really wanting to live in a world where dissent is not tolerated? Are we as adults so stupid that we must be fed 'the company line' to the exclusion of all others?

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
It does sound a bit batty but are we really wanting to live in a world where dissent is not tolerated? Are we as adults so stupid that we must be fed 'the company line' to the exclusion of all others?

Looks like it, sadly. Surely dissent is a healthy thing? Scientific dogma needs to be challenged from time to time, to ensure it's up to date.
Maybe they could at least listen to what she has to say, in case it has some validity?
I'm not saying I agree with what she is saying, just that she should be allowed to say it.

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

Chin up Cochise and rest assured you'll get your money's worth - it's the greatest show in Heaven, Hell or Earth!

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
If you like dissent that needlessly endangers lives no matter how idiotic it is, knock yourself out. But keep it to yourself.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
If you like dissent that needlessly endangers lives no matter how idiotic it is, knock yourself out. But keep it to yourself.
Hold on there. Simply voicing an opinion should be allowed among people who are suitably qualified. Reaction to a pandemic then gets decided by committee. It sounds like Dolores Cahill is appropriately qualified to express an opinion. We don't have to agree with her.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Hold on there. Simply voicing an opinion should be allowed among people who are suitably qualified. Reaction to a pandemic then gets decided by committee. It sounds like Dolores Cahill is appropriately qualified to express an opinion. We don't have to agree with her.
We don't and we shouldn't because she believes she can cure the virus with magic beans. I'm guessing virology isn't her field of specialism. Neither is vaccination if she's an antivaxxer.