COVID-19 / Coronavirus: Disinformation, Fake News & Scams

Cochise

Never give up, never surrender
Reaction score
Now more than ever it seems clear that intelligence and common sense are sometimes mutually exclusive.
Tesla understood that, hence my tagline. But then he apparently went gaga in the end, so where does that leave us?

PeteS

Seeking refuge
Reaction score
Tesla understood that, hence my tagline. But then he apparently went gaga in the end, so where does that leave us?
There have been studies which suggest the more intelligent you are, the more likely you are to suffer from some form of dementia. Worse possible outcome - you are super intelligent, have no common sense and then suffer from dementia. It must happen. If you believe current TV advertising by money grabbing charities ( I don't) 1 in 3 of us in the UK will have severe heart problems, 1 in 3 will suffer from dementia and 1 in 2 will be diagnosed with cancer. So perhaps this Covid thing is not that important in the future of health.:rolleyes:

Robbrent

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
There is evidence from Italy that the virus is indeed mutating to a less lethal form, which is good news if verified.
Rather what happened with the Spanish flu, lets hope it does

Have you got a link to the evidence?

Ladyloafer

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
There have been studies which suggest the more intelligent you are, the more likely you are to suffer from some form of dementia. Worse possible outcome - you are super intelligent, have no common sense and then suffer from dementia. It must happen. If you believe current TV advertising by money grabbing charities ( I don't) 1 in 3 of us in the UK will have severe heart problems, 1 in 3 will suffer from dementia and 1 in 2 will be diagnosed with cancer. So perhaps this Covid thing is not that important in the future of health.:rolleyes:
One thing i realised when lockdown happened and certain groups of people were told not to step out the door and etc,
Is just how friggin sickly we all are! I doubt theres a person over 40 in this country who is not on some sort of ongoing meds.

In many ways its good- we are living With conditions instead of dying From them- but we all are just a bit crap really. And i include myself. Although the notion of perfect health is a fallacy anyway, its perfectly Normal to have age related conditions, and hormone related crap and mental health issues etc.
Covid is yet another in a long line of painful disease that could kill you. At the moment extreme measures do seem to have kept deaths low. So we can hopefully have a chance to die of old age With dementia and diabetes and cancer. :(

AlchoPwn

Public Service is my Motto.
Reaction score
Covid is yet another in a long line of painful disease that could kill you. At the moment extreme measures do seem to have kept deaths low. So we can hopefully have a chance to die of old age With dementia and diabetes and cancer. :(
Speak for yourself white girl, my family tradition is heart attacks.:p

Cochise

Never give up, never surrender
Reaction score
One thing i realised when lockdown happened and certain groups of people were told not to step out the door and etc,
Is just how friggin sickly we all are! I doubt theres a person over 40 in this country who is not on some sort of ongoing meds.

In many ways its good- we are living With conditions instead of dying From them- but we all are just a bit crap really. And i include myself. Although the notion of perfect health is a fallacy anyway, its perfectly Normal to have age related conditions, and hormone related crap and mental health issues etc.
I prefer my grandparent's way out. Grandad - died at a holiday camp when trying to dance the twist in his 70's. Grandma 1 - fell off the ladder while painting her ceiling. Grandma 2 - blew herself up with the gas stove. Not so pleasant that, which is why I don't have gas. Unfortunately I fear I take after the other grandad, who had, let us say, a slight problem with drink. And I don't mean he kept missing his mouth.

Granma2 was actually a step-grandma, if you can have such a thing. My real paternal grandma had died in childbirth.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
  • Sad
Reactions: Jim

Naughty_Felid

Antediluvian
Reaction score
I prefer my grandparent's way out. Grandad - died at a holiday camp when trying to dance the twist in his 70's. Grandma 1 - fell off the ladder while painting her ceiling. Grandma 2 - blew herself up with the gas stove. Not so pleasant that, which is why I don't have gas. Unfortunately I fear I take after the other grandad, who had, let us say, a slight problem with drink. And I don't mean he kept missing his mouth.

Granma2 was actually a step-grandma, if you can have such a thing. My real paternal grandma had died in childbirth.
Blimey, that sounds like a circus act. I don't mean any disrespect but I'd be well impressed if my grand folk went out like that.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
The scams continue. Vid at link.

Coronavirus: Ghana 'quack doctors' selling 'cure'
An underworld of quack doctors and conmen have been exploiting the coronavirus pandemic and making money selling fake coronavirus cures.
Investigative reporter Anas Aremeyaw Anas goes undercover in Ghana, exposing a Covid-19 scam said to be worth thousands of dollars.
  • 29 Jun 2020
https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-africa-53199190/coronavirus-ghana-quack-doctors-selling-cure
"Thousands" of dollars? .... that sounds like small fry stuff to me? .. one or two chancers. Obviously it's not good news .. hundreds of thousands and I'd be concerned.

PeteS

Seeking refuge
Reaction score
I've always been, I suppose quite perversely, proud of them. 'Do not go gentle into that good night' and all that.
On balance though I think perhaps I'd like to go like my Dad. Having never had a day in hospital in his life and very active to the last he collapsed and died instantly in his home at 86. Probably would have lived longer if he hadn't enjoyed a good drink and smoke every day for the best part of 70 years, but then as he used to say that would have been very boring indeed. Mother was similar, so where I got my ill health from, I don't know. Annoying - someone had it in for me.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
"Thousands" of dollars? .... that sounds like small fry stuff to me? .. one or two chancers. Obviously it's not good news .. hundreds of thousands and I'd be concerned.
In Ghana thousands of dollars would go a lot farther than here.

Robbrent

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
Here is one. Admittedly it is in the Daily Wail but there are others.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8376105/Is-Covid-19-really-potent.html
It turns out it was just his observation and based on no study of the virus, it's one of those unfortunate moments when you say somthing in idle conversation and spreads quicker than the virus, like the the lady from WHO who said there was little evidence about asymptomatic people spreading it, I guess people just want straws to clutch on to