COVID-19 / Coronavirus: Disinformation, Fake News & Scams

Lb8535

Very charming snow person
Reaction score
It really does feel like wer're going back to the dark ages at the moment .. I can't stop laughing at this facebook tool ..

"Tesco have abandoned all safety procedures, free for all now, like in our local Spar one worker has got a useless visor on, I spoke to the manager who said it's a free choice between the mask and plastic visor, this visor has been proved to be useless in Switzerland where they have done a research, when they just used the plastic visor in care homes and hospitals,, compared with masks, the people using this useless visors speed the virus, we've got some idiot in our local Spar wearing one, ,the manager in our shop didn't care, this man was there all day with this useless visor walking past us really close without a care in the world, disgusting, this was our local Spar in Pendeen, they don't give a shit"
The protective shields are good for what they were designed for - which is protecting health care workers in a hospital and lab technicians from catching diseases from spurting liquid like coughs that come on you head-on. They've been used for this for years, and are used in conjunction with professional-grade fitted masks. A first line of defense against the spit. I don't think they would work very well without a mask just walking through the supermarket, except I suppose they would control the spit of the person wearing the thing. I suspect that's not what that wearer thought he was doing.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
This new Associated Press article provides a capsule overview of the persistent disinformation / misinformation circulating mostly through social media.
Misinformation on the virus is proving highly contagious

As the world races to find a vaccine and a treatment for COVID-19, there is seemingly no antidote in sight to the burgeoning outbreak of coronavirus conspiracy theories, hoaxes, anti-mask myths and sham cures. ...

Experts worry that the torrent of bad information is dangerously undermining efforts to slow the virus, which has been blamed for about 150,000 deaths in the U.S. and over a half-million more around the world. ...

“It is a real challenge in terms of trying to get the message to the public about what they can really do to protect themselves and what the facts are behind the problem., said Michael Osterholm, head of the University of Minnesota’s Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy. ...

He said the fear is that “people are putting themselves in harm’s way because they don’t believe the virus is something they have to deal with.”

Rather than fade away in the face of new evidence, the claims have flourished, fed by mixed messages from officials, transmitted by social media, amplified by leaders like Trump and able to mutate when confronted with contradictory facts. ...
FULL STORY: https://apnews.com/86f61f3ffb6173c29bc7db201c10f141

Cochise

Never give up, never surrender
Reaction score
This new Associated Press article provides a capsule overview of the persistent disinformation / misinformation circulating mostly through social media.

FULL STORY: https://apnews.com/86f61f3ffb6173c29bc7db201c10f141
I'm still failing to understand why we should prioritise treating the virus (which now clearly has a low mortality rate) while largely ignoring sufferers of pretty much anything else. No, we don't have to 'deal with the virus' It is, ignoring conspiracy theories, a natural event which is far from unprecedented.

Government propaganda, in the UK in particular, has left people terrorised and traumatised and no longer capable of assessing risk for themselves. Yet again today I spotted several people alone in their cars and wearing a mask. What possible good do they think that is going to do?

The likelihood is that less than 50,000 people have died in the UK actually from Covid-19, possibly many fewer than that given the fiddling of the figures. The mental and physical and economic consequences are going to be with us for a decade at least. So why the hell shouldn't people be allowed to put forward contrary views? You don't burn down your house to disinfect the carpet.

AlchoPwn

Public Service is my Motto.
Reaction score
Presently there have been 17 million cases, and 10 million have seen recovery. 667,000 people have died, and 150,000+ were in the USA. That is a death rate of about 5-6%, and far worse than the predicted 2%, but the stats are predicated on a positive diagnosis, which means the actual number of infected is likely far higher, which would likely bring the stats back into line with the 2% prediction.

Cochise

Never give up, never surrender
Reaction score
Just don't offer a Welcome Mat, when the world is - to say the very least - worried. Stay safe! :)
I must admit the UK does seem to have adopted a sort of backside-forwards approach to their covid strategy- we seem to be doing at the end of the danger what other people did at the beginning.

I think about end of April I predicted somewhere on here we'd be doing well if we got through with less than 50,000 deaths. I based that not on a badly written computer model or any grasp of strategy, but on the historical trajectory of similar bad flu years - yes, yes, I know it is not exactly flu, but it is a respiratory disease, and has largely taken out people who would be vulnerable to any respiratory disease or even a bad cold.

I cannot understand the current panic about a second wave. What people should be looking at is not infection rate but hospital admissions and deaths. Both of which are now encouragingly low across Europe.. It looks to me like a deliberate exercise to make people think how terrible it is, when actually in the overall scale of things it isn't and wasn't.

We don't worry about those coronaviruses that present as 'colds' because they only kill a tiny number compared to the number of infections. As the same seems to be becoming true of Covid-19, it's time governments got it in to their collective heads that the worst is over. Sure, there may be a surge in hospitalisations in the usual post-Christmas bad spell for respiratory diseases, but we now know pretty well how to cope - lessons have been learned on how to treat those who are hospitalised , for example.

Nobody knows what the death rate is because nobody knows how many have been infected. So the only barometer we really have is admissions and deaths. And both of those, in the UK at least, are recorded in a way that exaggerates the numbers, though possibly not by too much to render them useless.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
We've removed a single post here: an 'Anti-PC' Twitter post. It wasn't obnoxious, but it was both off-topic and a waste of time: Twitter click-bait.

Let's keep the debate to the real world. Leave the shit-stirrers and the terminally offended to their own futile wars.

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Presently there have been 17 million cases, and 10 million have seen recovery. 667,000 people have died, and 150,000+ were in the USA. That is a death rate of about 5-6%, and far worse than the predicted 2%, but the stats are predicated on a positive diagnosis, which means the actual number of infected is likely far higher, which would likely bring the stats back into line with the 2% prediction.

But any "recovered" statistics are highly controversial, when a significant proportion of those supposedly recovered have been left with serious and debilitating residual effects, including a damaged heart, compromised lung function, chronic fatigue and a brain-fog.

Lb8535

Very charming snow person
Reaction score
This is one reason that evaluating the disease by death count or even hospitalizations is not useful. In many places there was a measurable period when people who should have been hospitalized couldn't find space - in many countries there just aren't hospitals. The only useful metric comes from universal testing, and I don't understand the reluctance of most western governments to just buckle down and do it (aside from capacity issues). Set up a regular weekly sampling program and just do it so there is a clear picture of the infection rate and location. The carrot in this program is that it would enable businesses to re-open with an objective standard liability shield. It would also enable a logical medical program to follow those who test positive but are not sick enough to do anything except isolate and to obtain data on long term effects, which is now anecdotal.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
The 31 July edition of AP's "Not Real News" notes and refutes the following fake claims circulating with regard to COVID-19.
NOT REAL NEWS: A look at what happened this week

... None of these are legit, even though they were shared widely on social media. The Associated Press checked them out. Here are the facts: ...

CLAIM: Infrared thermometers, which are held near the forehead to scan body temperature without direct contact, point an infrared light directly at the brain’s pineal gland, exposing it to harmful radiation.

CLAIM: If your coronavirus test comes back positive, it “could also be the common cold.” “This is straight from the CDC.”

CLAIM: A video makes numerous claims about preventing the coronavirus, stating that hydroxychloroquine can prevent and cure COVID-19, and wearing masks and keeping people locked down have no value. ...
FULL STORY:
https://apnews.com/4453267e40b4cb91440902f089d775c3

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
Virus deniers are my new sport on facebook until I get bored which won't take long ..

The government have just released a new ruling: as of the 5th of August, 2020, it will be against the law to repeatedly run into a wall head first .. don't let these idiots brainwash you people! .. you know the truth and how we are all being controlled by the state/media so when you see that wall? .. make a stand and please, repeatedly run into those walls .. head first .. show them you won't be pushed around anymore! ..

It's worth a go .. someone might fall for it? .. please? ..

sherbetbizarre

Special Branch
Reaction score
I've been "enjoying" bits of this guys blatherings after someone here posted one of his vids... The worrying this is how many people seem to follow and agree with him.

An 'old man in a chair' pulling rabbits from his bag of 'truths'
An old man in a chair sits, legs crossed, next to a dark-wood bookcase stocked with hardbacks. He speaks of "the truth" about coronavirus and repeats many of the conspiracy theories we've heard elsewhere, but he does so calmly, reading from prepared notes, peering over half-moon spectacles.

He speaks with the structure, timbre and pace of the experienced wordsmith; indeed, Vernon Coleman is a prolific author and a former newspaper columnist. Importantly for his followers, he is also a doctor.
In latter years, major publishers have refused his work, he has resigned from newspapers whose editors disagreed with his opinions, and YouTube often deletes his videos. To his opponents, this validates the argument his material is dangerous; to his supporters, it validates the belief he is being silenced. Dr Coleman has alleged that pharmaceutical companies control Britain's National Health Service (NHS). He is anti-vaccine. He has claimed GPs are among the top three causes of death in the United Kingdom. In the 1980s, he called Aids "the hoax of the century". Now, he says the same of coronavirus.
https://www.bangkokpost.com/opinion...-chair-pulling-rabbits-from-his-bag-of-truths

GingerTabby

Carbon-based life form
Reaction score
Virus deniers are my new sport on facebook until I get bored which won't take long ..

The government have just released a new ruling: as of the 5th of August, 2020, it will be against the law to repeatedly run into a wall head first .. don't let these idiots brainwash you people! .. you know the truth and how we are all being controlled by the state/media so when you see that wall? .. make a stand and please, repeatedly run into those walls .. head first .. show them you won't be pushed around anymore! ..

:rollingw::rollingw::rollingw:

You could ask them to post photos of the results on your page. ;)

AlchoPwn

Public Service is my Motto.
Reaction score
But any "recovered" statistics are highly controversial, when a significant proportion of those supposedly recovered have been left with serious and debilitating residual effects, including a damaged heart, compromised lung function, chronic fatigue and a brain-fog.
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that for once. I have spent so much time on other sites trying to get the maskless masses to understand the consequences of their self-destructive stupidity that I neglected to mention it as I thought I already had. My bad. :eek:

PeteS

Seeking refuge
Reaction score

Sorry I don't believe walls exist, so I'm not going to listen to you.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry I don't believe walls exist, so I'm not going to listen to you.
Is it possible to walk through walls?” said Mort desperately.

Cutwell paused with his hand already halfway to a large bottle full of sticky liquid.

“Using magic?”

“Um,” said Mort, “I don’t think so.”

“Then pick very thin walls.

Lizard King

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
I am really tired of arguing with people about COVID. As I work for the NHS I can't say too much on social media either.The one of the things that has really shocked me during this time, is the utter nonsense so called intelligent people spout at me.With no real evidence base except some person saying they are a doctor in a youtube video. I've been accused of being a part of the conspiracy along with other nurses and doctors.Causes of deaths have been faked.I have been asked to name people on Facebook people who have actually died of COVID.This isn't from random people but people I have known for 30years.I'm shocked at how deep and entrenched their bizarre beliefs are.I have been told to "wake up"One friend is in a 70,000 grand a year job of responsibility and can only be described as being radicalised by David Icke.During WW2 people carried gas masks and ran to shelters during air raids.sometimes it was a drill sometimes it was the real thing.Most of the time it was a precaution.An old Anderson shelter wouldn't have stopped a direct hit but would have offered some protection to shrapnel etc.I tend to see masks nowadays in a similar vein.It's got to be better to have than not.

Analogue Boy

The new Number 6
Reaction score
Now the news is full of the threat of a second wave and the government considering the possibility that all over 50s will be required to self isolate in a second age-related lockdown.

Tory minister Robert Jenrick said on Sunday (August 2) that while the decision to get most over 50s to remain at home and shield wasn't being "actively considered" he did not rule out the possibility saying: “This is just speculation. You would expect the government to be considering all of the range of options that might be available to us.
https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/coronavirus-latest-over-50s-could-18704054

I’m derinitely on the wrong side of 50. But there must be loads of over 50s who share their home with younger family members who would be free to go out and possibly bring back the virus with them. This doesn’t seem to make any sense. In a situation like this, communications from government must be clear and not cause further confusion.

Last edited:

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
Now the news is full of the threat of a second wave and the government considering the possibility that all over 50s will be required to self isolate in a second age-related lockdown.

https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/coronavirus-latest-over-50s-could-18704054

I’m derinitely on the wrong side of 50. But there must be loads of over 50s who share their home with younger family members who would be free to go out and possibly bring back the virus with them. This doesn’t seem to make any sense. In a situation like this, communications from government must be clear and not cause further confusion.
Avoiding this virus is like trying to punch smoke.

Analogue Boy

The new Number 6
Reaction score
Making sense out of the latest initiatives and announcements is proving difficult. I get the mask thing. That’s fine. Even if there’s some evidence says they’re useless, I personally feel that if the virus is airborne, a mask can help. A bit. But the other conflicting advice is causing more confusion. Stay indoors. But you can go to the pub. Keep a distance of 2 metres - no - 1 metre but mingle on the streets outside the pub. Sign up to the track and trace app. Er... the only people we found were the ones working for us. We need to import people from europe to pick strawberries.... and now they’re showing symptoms of covid so the farm’s closed now. Obesity and junk food is the new enemy. Here. Have some money off a meal out. Go to work. Don’t go to work. Go on holiday. Well, when you get back you’re going to have to isolate all over again. You shouldn’t have gone on holiday. Invite the rest of the family around. No, don’t do that anymore.
And that’s basically a few of week’s worth of instructions.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
I am really tired of arguing with people about COVID. As I work for the NHS I can't say too much on social media either.The one of the things that has really shocked me during this time, is the utter nonsense so called intelligent people spout at me.With no real evidence base except some person saying they are a doctor in a youtube video. I've been accused of being a part of the conspiracy along with other nurses and doctors.Causes of deaths have been faked.I have been asked to name people on Facebook people who have actually died of COVID.This isn't from random people but people I have known for 30years.I'm shocked at how deep and entrenched their bizarre beliefs are.I have been told to "wake up"One friend is in a 70,000 grand a year job of responsibility and can only be described as being radicalised by David Icke.During WW2 people carried gas masks and ran to shelters during air raids.sometimes it was a drill sometimes it was the real thing.Most of the time it was a precaution.An old Anderson shelter wouldn't have stopped a direct hit but would have offered some protection to shrapnel etc.I tend to see masks nowadays in a similar vein.It's got to be better to have than not.
I've been saying it for years, before the pandemic was a thing, that a lot of people react to good advice with "How dare you tell me what to do!" Even advice that can benefit them and their loved ones, save their lives, etc. All because they perceive it as being ordered about. These are the sort of people who complained bitterly about health and safety improving the world, and now they're finding science fiction excuses not to listen at all.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar

I'm at the end of my 50s and I live alone, so if I am forced into self-isolation, I won't be able to earn a living.