COVID-19 / Coronavirus: Disinformation, Fake News & Scams

Lb8535

Very charming snow person
Reaction score
It really does feel like wer're going back to the dark ages at the moment .. I can't stop laughing at this facebook tool ..

"Tesco have abandoned all safety procedures, free for all now, like in our local Spar one worker has got a useless visor on, I spoke to the manager who said it's a free choice between the mask and plastic visor, this visor has been proved to be useless in Switzerland where they have done a research, when they just used the plastic visor in care homes and hospitals,, compared with masks, the people using this useless visors speed the virus, we've got some idiot in our local Spar wearing one, ,the manager in our shop didn't care, this man was there all day with this useless visor walking past us really close without a care in the world, disgusting, this was our local Spar in Pendeen, they don't give a shit"
The protective shields are good for what they were designed for - which is protecting health care workers in a hospital and lab technicians from catching diseases from spurting liquid like coughs that come on you head-on. They've been used for this for years, and are used in conjunction with professional-grade fitted masks. A first line of defense against the spit. I don't think they would work very well without a mask just walking through the supermarket, except I suppose they would control the spit of the person wearing the thing. I suspect that's not what that wearer thought he was doing.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
This new Associated Press article provides a capsule overview of the persistent disinformation / misinformation circulating mostly through social media.
Misinformation on the virus is proving highly contagious

As the world races to find a vaccine and a treatment for COVID-19, there is seemingly no antidote in sight to the burgeoning outbreak of coronavirus conspiracy theories, hoaxes, anti-mask myths and sham cures. ...

Experts worry that the torrent of bad information is dangerously undermining efforts to slow the virus, which has been blamed for about 150,000 deaths in the U.S. and over a half-million more around the world. ...

“It is a real challenge in terms of trying to get the message to the public about what they can really do to protect themselves and what the facts are behind the problem., said Michael Osterholm, head of the University of Minnesota’s Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy. ...

He said the fear is that “people are putting themselves in harm’s way because they don’t believe the virus is something they have to deal with.”

Rather than fade away in the face of new evidence, the claims have flourished, fed by mixed messages from officials, transmitted by social media, amplified by leaders like Trump and able to mutate when confronted with contradictory facts. ...
FULL STORY: https://apnews.com/86f61f3ffb6173c29bc7db201c10f141

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
We've removed a single post here: an 'Anti-PC' Twitter post. It wasn't obnoxious, but it was both off-topic and a waste of time: Twitter click-bait.

Let's keep the debate to the real world. Leave the shit-stirrers and the terminally offended to their own futile wars.

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
The 31 July edition of AP's "Not Real News" notes and refutes the following fake claims circulating with regard to COVID-19.
NOT REAL NEWS: A look at what happened this week

... None of these are legit, even though they were shared widely on social media. The Associated Press checked them out. Here are the facts: ...

CLAIM: Infrared thermometers, which are held near the forehead to scan body temperature without direct contact, point an infrared light directly at the brain’s pineal gland, exposing it to harmful radiation.

CLAIM: If your coronavirus test comes back positive, it “could also be the common cold.” “This is straight from the CDC.”

CLAIM: A video makes numerous claims about preventing the coronavirus, stating that hydroxychloroquine can prevent and cure COVID-19, and wearing masks and keeping people locked down have no value. ...
FULL STORY:
https://apnews.com/4453267e40b4cb91440902f089d775c3

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
Virus deniers are my new sport on facebook until I get bored which won't take long ..

The government have just released a new ruling: as of the 5th of August, 2020, it will be against the law to repeatedly run into a wall head first .. don't let these idiots brainwash you people! .. you know the truth and how we are all being controlled by the state/media so when you see that wall? .. make a stand and please, repeatedly run into those walls .. head first .. show them you won't be pushed around anymore! ..

It's worth a go .. someone might fall for it? .. please? ..

sherbetbizarre

Special Branch
Reaction score
I've been "enjoying" bits of this guys blatherings after someone here posted one of his vids... The worrying this is how many people seem to follow and agree with him.

An 'old man in a chair' pulling rabbits from his bag of 'truths'
An old man in a chair sits, legs crossed, next to a dark-wood bookcase stocked with hardbacks. He speaks of "the truth" about coronavirus and repeats many of the conspiracy theories we've heard elsewhere, but he does so calmly, reading from prepared notes, peering over half-moon spectacles.

He speaks with the structure, timbre and pace of the experienced wordsmith; indeed, Vernon Coleman is a prolific author and a former newspaper columnist. Importantly for his followers, he is also a doctor.
In latter years, major publishers have refused his work, he has resigned from newspapers whose editors disagreed with his opinions, and YouTube often deletes his videos. To his opponents, this validates the argument his material is dangerous; to his supporters, it validates the belief he is being silenced. Dr Coleman has alleged that pharmaceutical companies control Britain's National Health Service (NHS). He is anti-vaccine. He has claimed GPs are among the top three causes of death in the United Kingdom. In the 1980s, he called Aids "the hoax of the century". Now, he says the same of coronavirus.
https://www.bangkokpost.com/opinion...-chair-pulling-rabbits-from-his-bag-of-truths

GingerTabby

Carbon-based life form
Reaction score
Virus deniers are my new sport on facebook until I get bored which won't take long ..

The government have just released a new ruling: as of the 5th of August, 2020, it will be against the law to repeatedly run into a wall head first .. don't let these idiots brainwash you people! .. you know the truth and how we are all being controlled by the state/media so when you see that wall? .. make a stand and please, repeatedly run into those walls .. head first .. show them you won't be pushed around anymore! ..

:rollingw::rollingw::rollingw:

You could ask them to post photos of the results on your page. ;)

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
:rollingw::rollingw::rollingw:

You could ask them to post photos of the results on your page. ;)
Not until after the 5th of August though so they can be real rebels and show all us sheeple how it's done Ginger.

PeteS

Seeking refuge
Reaction score

Sorry I don't believe walls exist, so I'm not going to listen to you.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry I don't believe walls exist, so I'm not going to listen to you.
Is it possible to walk through walls?” said Mort desperately.

Cutwell paused with his hand already halfway to a large bottle full of sticky liquid.

“Using magic?”

“Um,” said Mort, “I don’t think so.”

“Then pick very thin walls.

Lizard King

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
I am really tired of arguing with people about COVID. As I work for the NHS I can't say too much on social media either.The one of the things that has really shocked me during this time, is the utter nonsense so called intelligent people spout at me.With no real evidence base except some person saying they are a doctor in a youtube video. I've been accused of being a part of the conspiracy along with other nurses and doctors.Causes of deaths have been faked.I have been asked to name people on Facebook people who have actually died of COVID.This isn't from random people but people I have known for 30years.I'm shocked at how deep and entrenched their bizarre beliefs are.I have been told to "wake up"One friend is in a 70,000 grand a year job of responsibility and can only be described as being radicalised by David Icke.During WW2 people carried gas masks and ran to shelters during air raids.sometimes it was a drill sometimes it was the real thing.Most of the time it was a precaution.An old Anderson shelter wouldn't have stopped a direct hit but would have offered some protection to shrapnel etc.I tend to see masks nowadays in a similar vein.It's got to be better to have than not.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
I am really tired of arguing with people about COVID. As I work for the NHS I can't say too much on social media either.The one of the things that has really shocked me during this time, is the utter nonsense so called intelligent people spout at me.With no real evidence base except some person saying they are a doctor in a youtube video. I've been accused of being a part of the conspiracy along with other nurses and doctors.Causes of deaths have been faked.I have been asked to name people on Facebook people who have actually died of COVID.This isn't from random people but people I have known for 30years.I'm shocked at how deep and entrenched their bizarre beliefs are.I have been told to "wake up"One friend is in a 70,000 grand a year job of responsibility and can only be described as being radicalised by David Icke.During WW2 people carried gas masks and ran to shelters during air raids.sometimes it was a drill sometimes it was the real thing.Most of the time it was a precaution.An old Anderson shelter wouldn't have stopped a direct hit but would have offered some protection to shrapnel etc.I tend to see masks nowadays in a similar vein.It's got to be better to have than not.
I've been saying it for years, before the pandemic was a thing, that a lot of people react to good advice with "How dare you tell me what to do!" Even advice that can benefit them and their loved ones, save their lives, etc. All because they perceive it as being ordered about. These are the sort of people who complained bitterly about health and safety improving the world, and now they're finding science fiction excuses not to listen at all.

Lizard King

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
I've been saying it for years, before the pandemic was a thing, that a lot of people react to good advice with "How dare you tell me what to do!" Even advice that can benefit them and their loved ones, save their lives, etc. All because they perceive it as being ordered about. These are the sort of people who complained bitterly about health and safety improving the world, and now they're finding science fiction excuses not to listen at all.
well said

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
The US State Department has issued a report providing more details and more detailed claims about Russian involvement in disseminating COVID-related disinformation and fake news.
State Dept.: Russia pushes disinformation in online network

The State Department says Russia is using a well-developed online operation that includes a loose collection of proxy websites to stir up confusion around the coronavirus by amplifying conspiracy theories and misinformation.

The disclosure on Wednesday was rare for the Trump administration, which has been cautious about blaming the Kremlin for disinformation campaigns, especially around the U.S. election. ...

The department detailed a Russian-backed misinformation cycle that spreads false information online through state officials and state-funded media reports, by infiltrating U.S. social media conversation, and leveraging a deceptive internet framework of websites. The Kremlin’s efforts have most recently focused on conspiracy theories around the pandemic, the report found.

“Russia is playing a significant role in creating and spreading misinformation and propaganda around many topics,” said Lea Gabrielle, head of the State Department’s Global Engagement Center.

The department named more than a half-dozen websites that, serving as “proxies” for Russia, have peddled a series of conspiracy theories about the pandemic that have been widely spreading and hotly debated across social media platforms like Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

The online news outlets appear independent from the Russian government, but in reality serve as a “connective tissue” between the Kremlin and state-funded media that often promote the same misinformation from their own channels, Gabrielle said.

“That’s what makes them effective,” Gabrielle said. “It’s difficult for the average person online to look at these sites and know the Russian affiliation.” ...

The websites the State Department identified Wednesday have promoted unsupported conspiracy theories that allege COVID-19 was created in a lab as a bioweapon, billionaire Bill Gates is plotting to use the pandemic as an excuse to microchip people, and that plans for a coronavirus vaccine are simply a ploy for pharmaceutical companies to make money. There is no evidence behind those claims. ...

“Russia has a long history of spreading disinformation around health and science issues,” Gabrielle said. “The Russian disinformation ecosystem exploits fear and confusion.”

While building up a following on Facebook and Twitter, some of the websites have downplayed their ties to Russian intelligence or concealed funding from the Kremlin, the State Department’s report found.

One of the sites, Canadian-based Global Research, has amassed an audience of nearly 300,000 followers on Facebook. The website regularly publishes articles from fictitious personas created by Russia’s military intelligence service, the GRU. The headline of a recent Global Research article suggested the coronavirus originated in the U.S., and it was shared by a Chinese spokesman on Twitter before the website took the unsubstantiated claim down. ...

Another website, NewsFront, pitches itself as an “alternative” news source to Western audiences, despite its reported Kremlin funding and being registered with the Russian government, according to the State Department’s report. Facebook removed dozens of accounts and pages associated with NewsFront for inauthentic, coordinated behavior in April. ...
FULL STORY: https://apnews.com/1e24169f76ee130a01333bf0a1afbcf7

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Why? Why do this when a stable world is so much better for us all? I understand the phrase "divide and conquer" fuels a lot of it, but it's far saner to move past this mindset, isn't it? Or am I crediting the architects of chaos with too much self-awareness?

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I'd like to think that when Putin eventually croaks it, Russia will stop doing this s**t and start behaving like a normal country.
Is it too much to hope for?

pandacracker

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Wasn't it Gorbachev who said "Russia needs a Tsar"?

Beresford

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
Gorbachev turned 89 earlier this year.

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
This Live Science article provides an overview of a new study on COVID-related misinformation and rumors.
COVID-19 has fueled more than 2,000 rumors and conspiracy theories

From the idea that drinking bleach can kill the coronavirs to a theory that the virus was created in a lab as a bioweapon, the COVID-19 pandemic has generated a flurry of misinformation, hatching more than 2,000 rumors, conspiracy theories and reports of discrimination, according to a new study.

Such false information can have serious consequences — the researchers of the new study found that COVID-19 related rumors were linked to thousands of hospitalizations and hundreds of deaths. For example, a myth that consumption of highly-concentrated alcohol could kill the coronavirus has been linked with more than 5,900 hospitalizations, 800 deaths and 60 cases of blindness due to methanol poisoning (which can occur when people drink home-brewed or illegally manufactured alcohol), the report said. Many of these cases were in Iran where alcoholic beverages are illegal. In India, 12 people, including five children, got sick after drinking liquor made from the toxic seed Datura, believing it to be a cure for COVID-19, according to the new report.

"Misinformation fueled by rumors, stigma and conspiracy theories can have potentially serious implications on the individual and community if prioritized over evidence-based guidelines," the authors wrote in their study, published Monday (Aug. 10) in the American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene. "Health agencies must track misinformation associated with ... COVID-19 in real time, and engage local communities and government stakeholders to debunk misinformation." ...
FULL STORY: https://www.livescience.com/covid-19-rumors-conspiracy-theories-infodemic.html

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
Here are the bibliographic details and abstract of the infodemic study cited above. The full article can be downloaded at the link below.

COVID-19–Related Infodemic and Its Impact on Public Health: A Global Social Media Analysis
Md Saiful Islam, Tonmoy Sarkar, Sazzad Hossain Khan, Abu-Hena Mostofa Kamal, Sarkar Mohammad Murshid Hasan, Alamgir Kabir, Dalia Yeasmin, Mohammad Ariful Islam, Kamal Ibne Amin Chowdhury, Kazi Selim Anwar, Abrar Ahmad Chughtai and Holly Seale

Publisher: The American Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene
Source: The American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene
Available online: 10 August 2020
Document Type: Research Article
DOI: https://doi.org/10.4269/ajtmh.20-0812

(Abstract)
Infodemics, often including rumors, stigma, and conspiracy theories, have been common during the COVID-19 pandemic. Monitoring social media data has been identified as the best method for tracking rumors in real time and as a possible way to dispel misinformation and reduce stigma. However, the detection, assessment, and response to rumors, stigma, and conspiracy theories in real time are a challenge. Therefore, we followed and examined COVID-19–related rumors, stigma, and conspiracy theories circulating on online platforms, including fact-checking agency websites, Facebook, Twitter, and online newspapers, and their impacts on public health. Information was extracted between December 31, 2019 and April 5, 2020, and descriptively analyzed. We performed a content analysis of the news articles to compare and contrast data collected from other sources. We identified 2,311 reports of rumors, stigma, and conspiracy theories in 25 languages from 87 countries. Claims were related to illness, transmission and mortality (24%), control measures (21%), treatment and cure (19%), cause of disease including the origin (15%), violence (1%), and miscellaneous (20%). Of the 2,276 reports for which text ratings were available, 1,856 claims were false (82%). Misinformation fueled by rumors, stigma, and conspiracy theories can have potentially serious implications on the individual and community if prioritized over evidence-based guidelines. Health agencies must track misinformation associated with the COVID-19 in real time, and engage local communities and government stakeholders to debunk misinformation.

SOURCE: https://www.ajtmh.org/content/journals/10.4269/ajtmh.20-0812

PeteS

Seeking refuge
Reaction score
Here are the bibliographic details and abstract of the infodemic study cited above. The full article can be downloaded at the link below.

COVID-19–Related Infodemic and Its Impact on Public Health: A Global Social Media Analysis
Md Saiful Islam, Tonmoy Sarkar, Sazzad Hossain Khan, Abu-Hena Mostofa Kamal, Sarkar Mohammad Murshid Hasan, Alamgir Kabir, Dalia Yeasmin, Mohammad Ariful Islam, Kamal Ibne Amin Chowdhury, Kazi Selim Anwar, Abrar Ahmad Chughtai and Holly Seale

Publisher: The American Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene
Source: The American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene
Available online: 10 August 2020
Document Type: Research Article
DOI: https://doi.org/10.4269/ajtmh.20-0812

(Abstract)
Infodemics, often including rumors, stigma, and conspiracy theories, have been common during the COVID-19 pandemic. Monitoring social media data has been identified as the best method for tracking rumors in real time and as a possible way to dispel misinformation and reduce stigma. However, the detection, assessment, and response to rumors, stigma, and conspiracy theories in real time are a challenge. Therefore, we followed and examined COVID-19–related rumors, stigma, and conspiracy theories circulating on online platforms, including fact-checking agency websites, Facebook, Twitter, and online newspapers, and their impacts on public health. Information was extracted between December 31, 2019 and April 5, 2020, and descriptively analyzed. We performed a content analysis of the news articles to compare and contrast data collected from other sources. We identified 2,311 reports of rumors, stigma, and conspiracy theories in 25 languages from 87 countries. Claims were related to illness, transmission and mortality (24%), control measures (21%), treatment and cure (19%), cause of disease including the origin (15%), violence (1%), and miscellaneous (20%). Of the 2,276 reports for which text ratings were available, 1,856 claims were false (82%). Misinformation fueled by rumors, stigma, and conspiracy theories can have potentially serious implications on the individual and community if prioritized over evidence-based guidelines. Health agencies must track misinformation associated with the COVID-19 in real time, and engage local communities and government stakeholders to debunk misinformation.

SOURCE: https://www.ajtmh.org/content/journals/10.4269/ajtmh.20-0812
Interesting study, but it would have been more revealing to go on and establish to what extent( in a very large sample of populations) these false rumours were actually believed and acted on. I don't believe FaceTwit "likes" and letters in The Sun etc would be truly representative of the views of general populations despite what the gutter press would have us believe.

Cochise

Never give up, never surrender
Reaction score
Doesn't it depend on what you call 'fake news', which is after all a value judgement. It seems , for example, that the figures for Covid-19 deaths in the UK were exaggerated - Matt Hancock has ordered an investigation, due to be published this week I believe.

So does that mean the the MSM, who have been headlining stories based on those figures, are disseminating 'Fake News' - actually announced by the Government themselves?

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Doesn't it depend on what you call 'fake news', which is after all a value judgement. It seems , for example, that the figures for Covid-19 deaths in the UK were exaggerated - Matt Hancock has ordered an investigation, due to be published this week I believe.

So does that mean the the MSM, who have been headlining stories based on those figures, are disseminating 'Fake News' - actually announced by the Government themselves?
That is down to the government's decision not to publish any recovered figures, so anyone who has ever been tested positive for Covid19 will count as a Covid19 death no matter what actually kills them. If Spain, for example, used the same nonsensical system, their Covid19 fatalities would be increased by 60%, putting them ahead of the UK, despite their vastly lower population density.

Beresford

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
The figures are recorded differently in different parts of the UK. My understanding is that there is a limit of 28 days from diagnosis to death for the figures announced daily in Scotland. There is another set statistics released every Wednesday by National Records of Scotland which include all deaths where COVID is mentioned on the death certificate, hence the reason that the first measure has been reporting 0 deaths recently whereas the latter is still reporting some deaths.

There is evidence that, for some people at least, COVID can cause damage to various organs. At the very least it will be a significant contributory factor if not the main cause in some cases.

Last edited:

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Just to expand on Cochise's point, the MSM can only report the figures released by the government, no matter how flaky they are. In that sense, it's not appropriate to blame the media for spouting fake news.
Where they do stray into fake news territory though (yes Guardian, I'm looking at you) is when they trumpet constantly that the UK Covid19 mortality rate is the worst in Europe. That is wrong on at least two levels; as England has the highest population density of any sizeable country, the deaths per million statistic would be a more realistic measure and, more importantly, neighbouring countries use a very different methodology to count deaths, which makes their figures look substantially lower than the UK's and hence invalidates any comparison between countries.

Cochise

Never give up, never surrender
Reaction score
Just to expand on Cochise's point, the MSM can only report the figures released by the government, no matter how flaky they are. In that sense, it's not appropriate to blame the media for spouting fake news.
Where they do stray into fake news territory though (yes Guardian, I'm looking at you) is when they trumpet constantly that the UK Covid19 mortality rate is the worst in Europe. That is wrong on at least two levels; as England has the highest population density of any sizeable country, the deaths per million statistic would be a more realistic measure and, more importantly, neighbouring countries use a very different methodology to count deaths, which makes their figures look substantially lower than the UK's and hence invalidates any comparison between countries.
Yes. There are two ways to interpret the UK figures. Either a) the NHS is the second worst health service in Europe (which I don't believe) or b) there are flaws in the way we are recording our figures.

But the media should question these things. After all, if we had say, Napoleon's government feeding the media with their statistics instead of cuddly old Boris's lot, should they not be questioning whether the figures had a basis in truth? Complacently following the Government's line - although it is breaking down slightly now - is not what newspapers - in particular - should be doing. This is not Napoleon's time and the editors and journalists are not likely to find themselves without their heads.

For example, last month (apparently) we had more deaths from 'flu and pneumonia than Covid-19, even by the Governments' own figures. But surely the lockdown should have been at least somewhat effective at combating those infections as well? They would have been contracted during what I hope we can call 'peak lockdown' when much sanitation and distancing was going on and the vast majority of people were not allowed to congregate.