COVID-19 / Coronavirus: Disinformation, Fake News & Scams

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Yes. There are two ways to interpret the UK figures. Either a) the NHS is the second worst health service in Europe (which I don't believe) or b) there are flaws in the way we are recording our figures.

But the media should question these things. After all, if we had say, Napoleon's government feeding the media with their statistics instead of cuddly old Boris's lot, should they not be questioning whether the figures had a basis in truth? Complacently following the Government's line - although it is breaking down slightly now - is not what newspapers - in particular - should be doing. This is not Napoleon's time and the editors and journalists are not likely to find themselves without their heads.

For example, last month (apparently) we had more deaths from 'flu and pneumonia than Covid-19, even by the Governments' own figures. But surely the lockdown should have been at least somewhat effective at combating those infections as well? They would have been contracted during what I hope we can call 'peak lockdown' when much sanitation and distancing was going on and the vast majority of people were not allowed to congregate.
Just watching the news on Sky and it appears that the government has admitted they got it very wrong in reporting Covid19 deaths. Henceforth, there will be a 28 day cut-off point after release from medical care or end of symptoms. This will bring us pretty well in line with every other country. Whether or not it will be applied retrospectively, so the current figure of almost 47,000 will be reassessed, I don't know.
They really should have implemented this months ago as, I agree totally with your point that there is no way our NHS is one of the worst in Europe.

MorningAngel

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
The protective shields are good for what they were designed for - which is protecting health care workers in a hospital and lab technicians from catching diseases from spurting liquid like coughs that come on you head-on. They've been used for this for years, and are used in conjunction with professional-grade fitted masks. A first line of defense against the spit. I don't think they would work very well without a mask just walking through the supermarket, except I suppose they would control the spit of the person wearing the thing. I suspect that's not what that wearer thought he was doing.
The people with their noses sticky out of their masks are driving me mad, there’s no point if it doesn’t cover your nose!:headbang:

MorningAngel

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

Lb8535

Very charming snow person
Reaction score
“'Hundreds dead' because of Covid-19 misinformation
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-53755067
This bit really worries me, nearly a third!:oops:

‘Despite social media companies removing or labelling misleading information about vaccines, recent polling in the United States showed that 28% of Americans believe that Bill Gates wants to use vaccines to implant microchips in people.‘
Y'know, I really do find this kind of ongoing polling claim unbelievable. I know no one who thinks badly about Bill Gates except for the items that we all know for which he should be thought badly of. I can safely say that no one in NYC believes this excepting maybe in Staten Island. Or who says they will refuse a covid vaccine, etc etc. So that means that in some area more than 28% believe this. Do they also believe in the tooth fairy? I think they're trying to get the poller off the phone. Or who the hell is YouGov? There are a few reputable polling org's in the US. This isn't one of them. Maybe the poll company is owned by the BBC to provide headlines.

MorningAngel

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Y'know, I really do find this kind of ongoing polling claim unbelievable. I know no one who thinks badly about Bill Gates except for the items that we all know for which he should be thought badly of. I can safely say that no one in NYC believes this excepting Staten Island. Or who says they will refuse a covid vaccine, etc etc. So that means that in some area more than 28% believe this. Do they also believe in the tooth fairy? I think they're trying to get the poller off the phone.
Yeah maybe there’s areas where they are totally bonkers and most people believe it. Maybe they’d agree to anything. Mind you, do you think they actually phrased that as a question? ‘Do you think the vaccine is an excuse for Bill Gates to give people micro chips?’

Cochise

Priest of the cult of the Dog with the Broken Paw
Reaction score
I shall avoid reiterating my views on Mr Gates and his reputation. After all, he could have made me quite rich.

This whole rush to produce a vaccine is quite scary, not because vaccines = bad, but because they are expecting to produce it in an impossible time scale for proper testing. They are apparently testing one in the US on humans when they haven't even done any animal tests :

https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/11...s-vaccine-trial-without-usual-animal-testing/

Of course that report could be nonsense as well! I don't know the reputation of that website.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Y'know, I really do find this kind of ongoing polling claim unbelievable. I know no one who thinks badly about Bill Gates except for the items that we all know for which he should be thought badly of. I can safely say that no one in NYC believes this excepting maybe in Staten Island. Or who says they will refuse a covid vaccine, etc etc. So that means that in some area more than 28% believe this. Do they also believe in the tooth fairy? I think they're trying to get the poller off the phone. Or who the hell is YouGov? There are a few reputable polling org's in the US. This isn't one of them. Maybe the poll company is owned by the BBC to provide headlines.
YouGov is reputable, but they're working within the limits of the art: polls that ask respondents now to judge their likely behaviour in the future based on a variety of variable factors are notoriously unreliable. Not, I must add, owing to errors in polling, but because humans almost always overstate their tendency to act or support change, where the subsequent 'after-the-fact' studies almost always show that most people went with the status quo and opted for whatever took the least effort.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Madagascar's education minister has been fired over plans to order more than $2m (£1.6m) worth of sweets for schoolchildren.

Rijasoa Andriamanana said pupils would be given three lollipops each to mask the "bitter" aftertaste of an untested herbal remedy for coronavirus.

The plan was called off after objections from Madagascar's president.

President Andry Rajoelina is promoting the herbal tonic Covid-Organics as a coronavirus cure.

Several African countries continue to import Covid-Organics believing it will help combat the virus, but the World Health Organization has warned that no proven cure exists.

Madagascar's National Medical Academy has also cast doubt on the efficacy of the artemisia-based drink, saying it had the potential to damage people's health.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-52929925
That clown Rajoelina is still pushing his snake oil.

Hospitals in Madagascar have been struggling to cope with a surge of Covid-19 cases, while the president has been promoting an unproven product he says can cure the disease despite the World Health Organization (WHO) warning against using untested remedies.

Cases have quadrupled in the past month in the Indian Ocean island, with more than 13,000 infections and 162 deaths from coronavirus, which has spread to all but one of its 22 regions.Despite the spike, President Andry Rajoelina stands by the herbal concoction called Covid-Organics, which was launched to great fanfare in April. It is produced by the Malagasy Institute of Applied Research from the artemisia plant - the source of an ingredient used in a malaria treatment - and other Malagasy plants.

The drink has been marketed as a prevention and remedy - and for the last four months been offered to children at school.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-53756752

kamalktk

Antediluvian
Reaction score
The latest quack cure being pushed in america is Oleander extract.

The oleander plant is highly toxic, with the most common symptom being suddenly death from heart attack, as it blocks electrical signals to the heart....

MorningAngel

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
The latest quack cure being pushed in america is Oleander extract.

The oleander plant is highly toxic, with the most common symptom being suddenly death from heart attack, as it blocks electrical signals to the heart....
Has anyone told Trump about it? Mind you, you wouldn’t die from COVID. That would get you first.

Last edited:

PeteS

Seeking refuge
Reaction score
Yes. There are two ways to interpret the UK figures. Either a) the NHS is the second worst health service in Europe (which I don't believe) or b) there are flaws in the way we are recording our figures.
Agreed. Or of course there are swathes of the UK population who don't understand the risk or couldn't give a toss about the rules, so spreading the virus and the figures are indeed correct. Or other countries are under reporting deaths by a considerable margin. Combination of these factors I suspect.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Might take a jumbo jet to investigate this.

Namibians Health Minister Kalumbi Shangula has warned people against using elephant dung to "cure" Covid-19.

Some traditional healers say the elephant dung can be steamed and inhaled as a treatment for flu, headaches and nosebleeds but the practice has not been scientifically tested.

"I am worried about unscrupulous people who would make other people spend money on useless remedies in the hope that they will be cured," Mr Shangula is quoted as saying by AFP news agency.

The southern African country has to date confirmed 4,464 coronavirus cases and 37 deaths.

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-africa-47639452

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
Might take a jumbo jet to investigate this.

Namibians Health Minister Kalumbi Shangula has warned people against using elephant dung to "cure" Covid-19.

Some traditional healers say the elephant dung can be steamed and inhaled as a treatment for flu, headaches and nosebleeds but the practice has not been scientifically tested.

"I am worried about unscrupulous people who would make other people spend money on useless remedies in the hope that they will be cured," Mr Shangula is quoted as saying by AFP news agency.

The southern African country has to date confirmed 4,464 coronavirus cases and 37 deaths.

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-africa-47639452
That's Tantormount to a scandal.

Ermintruder

Delineated by a professional cryptozoologist
Reaction score
Just watching the news on Sky and it appears that the government has admitted they got it very wrong in reporting Covid19 deaths. Henceforth, there will be a 28 day cut-off point after release from medical care or end of symptoms
So can anyone explain why the UK Government insisted, right up until now, in using this metric?

Henceforth, there will be a 28 day cut-off point after release from medical care or end of symptoms. This will bring us pretty well in line with every other country
Let's be clear about this. The public health organisations of the other three Home Nations in the UK (that is, Scotland/Wales/England) have always applied the 28 day cutoff logic. It's been Public Health England that has been the odd-one-out. Why on earth would that be?

And: even more astonishingly.....it has been announced within the last few days that Public Health England is being scrapped. Seriously....https://www.bbc.com/news/health-53799854 ....how often would you ever expect to see the fire brigade being restructured during what is being reported as the biggest, most-lethal fire it's ever had to cope with?

Perhaps this has been talked about elsewhere on the forum: apologies, I'm not functioning as effectively as I normally do. Mods- please feel free to edit/relocate/delete this post....or me.

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
So can anyone explain why the UK Government insisted, right up until now, in using this metric?

Let's be clear about this. The public health organisations of the other three Home Nations in the UK (that is, Scotland/Wales/England) have always applied the 28 day cutoff logic. It's been Public Health England that has been the odd-one-out. Why on earth would that be?

And: even more astonishingly.....it has been announced within the last few days that Public Health England is being scrapped. Seriously....https://www.bbc.com/news/health-53799854 ....how often would you ever expect to see the fire brigade being restructured during what is being reported as the biggest, most-lethal fire it's ever had to cope with?

Perhaps this has been talked about elsewhere on the forum: apologies, I'm not functioning as effectively as I normally do. Mods- please feel free to edit/relocate/delete this post....or me.
No idea, Ermintruder.
It truly baffled me as to why the English (as opposed to Welsh, Scottish and NI) government would want to publish inflated mortality figures.
The only thing I could think of was to spook the populace into taking this pandemic seriously, as a significant minority seemed to ignore all pleas for social distancing.

AlchoPwn

Public Service is my Motto.
Reaction score
As I have said elsewhere, I am concerned about any hype about a covid-19 vaccine. The main problem being that existing vaccines for similar coronaviruses in livestock are very ineffective, providing antibodies or only about a fortnight before becoming useless due to the way that coronaviruses nest in cells becoming generally undetectable to antibodies. While I think it is a worthy pursuit, and I certainly hope that our virologists are much better than I have been led to believe, I have limited expectations about the success of any vaccine.

SummerLightning

Junior Acolyte
Reaction score
It's likely in the sense that the Android OS has been upgraded to a support Covid-19 tracking app. But until you choose to download such an app, it will sit there doing nothing. Operating systems on all platforms have the means to support all sorts of hardware and software you'll probably never use.

Here's the Google explanation of how the Covid-19 'Exposure Notifications System' works and how the update got onto people's phones: https://support.google.com/android/answer/9888358?hl=en-GB

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
It's likely in the sense that the Android OS has been upgraded to a support Covid-19 tracking app. But until you choose to download such an app, it will sit there doing nothing. Operating systems on all platforms have the means to support all sorts of hardware and software you'll probably never use.

Here's the Google explanation of how the Covid-19 'Exposure Notifications System' works and how the update got onto people's phones: https://support.google.com/android/answer/9888358?hl=en-GB
I wish them the best of luck with downloading an app to my ancient phone.

Ogdred Weary

Cryptozoomologist
Reaction score
Our neighbour has warned us against "that Bill Gates" because he will be using the antivirus as an excuse to inject us with something bad.
Is your neighbour usually eccentric or is this a new development?

Spookdaddy

Cuckoo
Reaction score
Our neighbour has warned us against "that Bill Gates" because he will be using the antivirus as an excuse to inject us with something bad.
That's fine - we'll all get an update every couple of months, everything'll be a bit wobbly for a day or two, and then we'll just get used to it.

Just thank Christ it's not one of those Apple bastards - it would cost three times as much, we'd only work with the original cables, and we'd be obsolete within five minutes of leaving the bloody showroom.

Last edited: