COVID-19 / Coronavirus: Disinformation, Fake News & Scams

Eyespy

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
We have revived two reports locally of people being contacted by "track and trace" the contractor has gone through the spell and then asked for credit card details so they can set up tests for the household, as it will cost £50.

When challenged for details of when the contact occurred the response has been that they cannot give the information under GDPR .

I cannot believe anyone will fall for this, but the sheer cynicism of it takes my breath away.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
We have revived two reports locally of people being contacted by "track and trace" the contractor has gone through the spell and then asked for credit card details so they can set up tests for the household, as it will cost £50.

When challenged for details of when the contact occurred the response has been that they cannot give the information under GDPR .

I cannot believe anyone will fall for this, but the sheer cynicism of it takes my breath away.
Sounds like a new scam.

ralfy

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
"Ab8 COVID-19 Drug Breakthrough: Tiny Antibody Component Completely Neutralizes the SARS-CoV-2 Virus"

University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine scientists have isolated the smallest biological molecule to date that completely and specifically neutralizes the SARS-CoV-2 virus, which is the cause of COVID-19. This antibody component, which is 10 times smaller than a full-sized antibody, has been used to construct a drug — known as Ab8 — for potential use as a therapeutic and prophylactic against SARS-CoV-2.

The researchers report today (September 14, 2020) in the journal Cell that Ab8 is highly effective in preventing and treating SARS-CoV-2 infection in mice and hamsters. Its tiny size not only increases its potential for diffusion in tissues to better neutralize the virus, but also makes it possible to administer the drug by alternative routes, including inhalation. Importantly, it does not bind to human cells — a good sign that it won’t have negative side-effects in people.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
What's the betting that somehow never goes into production?

uair01

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Not politics!

Here's a delightfully detailed analysis and discussion of the hospital pictures of president Trump. This kind of forensic verification is always interesting, whatever the outcome:

The photos released by the WH tonight of the president working at Walter Reed were taken 10 minutes apart at 5:25:59 pm and 5:35:40 pm ET Saturday, according to the EXIF data embedded in both @AP wire postings that were shared by the White House this evening. https://t.co/EzeqIkGdf7

Last edited:

DrPaulLee

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
If it is faked and he is not at Walter Reed, they got his location correct. Did they change the time and forget the location?

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
If it is faked and he is not at Walter Reed, they got his location correct. Did they change the time and forget the location?
I don't understand your point. The Walter Reed medical center is in Bethesda.

Lb8535

Very charming snow person
Reaction score
You mean because they look different? I can hear it now - Mr. President, Mr. President, you cannot be photographed without a jacket. Here. And let's find you a lighter background to punch up the jacket. The supply closet? Gimme those flags. Great. Look busy. Here, sign this piece of paper. That's exactly how these happen.

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
Not politics! ...
Not explained! ...

Make a point to state why whatever you're posting matters and / or belongs where you're putting it.

Drive-by fly-tipping of content from other sites / services is getting to be a bad habit around here.

Reactions: Jim

DrPaulLee

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
You mean because they look different? I can hear it now - Mr. President, Mr. President, you cannot be photographed without a jacket. Here. And let's find you a lighter background to punch up the jacket. The supply closet? Gimme those flags. Great. Look busy. Here, sign this piece of paper. That's exactly how these happen.
No, I wasn't bothered about ephemera like backgrounds, jackets etc.

uair01

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Drive-by fly-tipping of content from other sites / services is getting to be a bad habit around here.
I edited my post to remove any unintentional political biases and just retain the forensics.

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
I edited my post to remove any unintentional political biases and just retain the forensics.
That's not the point ... Please introduce it to your fellow forum members instead of simply lobbing it over the wall and leaving it to them to connect the dots.

Last edited:

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
IMA demand proof that traditional medicine works.

The Indian health ministry has begun to recommend traditional remedies to tackle the country’s COVID-19 outbreak, dismaying many Indian doctors and scientists.

On 6 October, health minister Harsh Vardhan released recommendations for preventing COVID-19 and treating mild cases based on Ayurveda, India’s millenniaold system of herbal medicine, triggering sharp criticism from the Indian Medical Association (IMA), a group of more than one-quarter of a million modern medicine practitioners.

In a press release, IMA demanded Vardhan produce evidence of the treatments’ efficacy; if he’s unable to do so, the association wrote, Vardhan is “inflicting a fraud on the nation and gullible patients by calling placebos as drugs.” Recommending any drug without evidence for a deadly disease that has claimed more than 100,000 Indian lives is “a dangerous trend,” adds C. S. Pramesh, a thoracic surgeon and the director of Mumbai’s Tata Memorial Centre. The government has no shortage of studies to point to, but Pramesh and others dismiss them as unconvincing.

The Indian government’s push for Ayurveda is in line with the ruling Bharatiya Janata Party’s mission to revive traditional medicine. Since 2014, when the Hindu nationalist party was elected to power, it has upgraded a government department for alternative medicine to the Ministry of Ayurveda, Yoga & Naturopathy, Unani, Siddha and Homoeopathy (AYUSH), and more than tripled its annual budget to almost $290 million. ...

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/202...ent-s-promotion-traditional-medicine-covid-19

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
This new Scientific American article takes aim at the persistent - and often 'way overblown - claims that COVID-19 death figures are much less than officially reported.
Debunking the False Claim That COVID Death Counts Are Inflated

A persistent falsehood has been circulating on social media: the number of COVID deaths is much lower than the official statistic of more than 218,000, and therefore the danger of the disease has been overblown. In August **************** retweeted a post claiming that only 6 percent of these reported deaths were actually from COVID-19. (The tweet originated from a follower of the debunked conspiracy fantasy QAnon.) Twitter removed the post for containing false information, but fabrications such as these continue to spread. U.S. Representative ****************** complained in September that Facebook had removed a post in which he claimed that 94 percent of COVID-19 deaths reported by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention “were the result of 2-3 additional serious illnesses and were of advanced age.”

Now some facts: Researchers know beyond a doubt that the number of COVID-19 deaths in the U.S. have surpassed 200,000. These numbers are supported by three lines of evidence, including death certificates. The inaccurate idea that only 6 percent of the deaths were really caused by the coronavirus is “a gross misinterpretation” of how death certificates work, says Robert Anderson, lead mortality statistician at the CDC’s National Center for Health Statistics.

The scope of the coronavirus’s deadly toll is clear, even if final numbers will not be known until the pandemic is over. “We’re pretty confident about the scale and order of magnitude of deaths, but we’re not clear on the exact number yet,” says Justin Lessler, an infectious disease epidemiologist at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. To understand why the figures contain some uncertainty, it is important to know how they are collected and calculated. ...
(Politicians' names removed.)

FULL STORY: https://www.scientificamerican.com/...e-claim-that-covid-death-counts-are-inflated/

Beresford

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
The same text from 3 fake accounts! Why would someone do that?
Goodness knows, but becoming more common these days. Perhaps from certain foreign sources who like to use bots.

Interestingly, it looks as though there are only three hospitals in the English speaking world with 1600 beds or more.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
would a man be a ward sister? They're still called sisters in the UK?
Apparently so. My Mum told me about a man she knows who is a 'ward sister'.
But they really need to de-gender the titles in that profession.

Beresford

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
When I worked in the NHS the male equivalent was Charge Nurse.

Last edited:

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
In the RoI there are various grades of Clinical Nurse-Manager.

Beresford

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
In the RoI there are various grades of Clinical Nurse-Manager.
I think up here that's a more senior position, but they change titles often these days.