COVID-19: How Are You? (Your Personal Notes; Queries; Reports)

Reaction score
Tesco, Boots and The Body Shop all sold out of sanitizing hand gel in Durham today. Plenty of soap left.

INT21

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Keep up with the hand wash.

Probably any 99% alcohol will do. Fortunately I have about 5 Gallon in stock.
Vectors out of Ilkley could be quite simple. Did the victim travel by bus ? maybe sneezed on one of the seat handles .

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Yes make sure yours is the flammable stuff as the non flammable doesnt contain enough alcohol to work...

Xanatic*

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
At the hospital where my iranian contact works, they will now be treating people infected with the Wuhan virus.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
My wife and I went grocery shopping tonight as we often do on a Monday night. Panic buying and stockpiling has begun. We went to one of the local Woolworths stores (Mittagong) and almost all of the toilet paper, bottled water, rice and pasta shelves were empty. Apparently scenes like this have become common over the past couple of days.
Now, having just visited Twitter before arriving on this forum this evening, there is now a new conspiracy theory doing the rounds there suggesting that Woolworths along it's main competitor Coles are deliberately not restocking the shelves of such items to create a sense of unease and panic amongst their customers thereby ensuring bulk buying of such items, dry goods, hand sanitiser and the like.
One of our sons was at a Costco store earlier this afternoon and reported it chaotic with people buying toilet paper and bottled water by the pallet load (and that's a lot).

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
Cromer jokes aside, we've just been to all 8 outlets in Cromer today that normally sell alco gel hand sanitizers and they've all sold out (including the surgery shop) due to panic buying, one of the places was limiting two only per customer. The Mrs has just ordered a few from Amazon, they won't arrive until the 28th.

Ghost In The Machine

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
We've been given work for March (hurray!). However it involves making live streamed lessons, including a weekly video call with each student, which will add up to something like 4 times the usual teaching time per week (boo).

This image seems to show that the virus is effectively only lethal to the elderly, however I don't have a source for it (I found it on facebook).
View attachment 23539
Gonna be like 'Children of Men' in reverse... Or 'Lord Of The Flies'.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
I walked into work today--none to do, but I had some paperwork and cleaning to finish.

We're not in a high-risk part of the country (a handful of cases in a city of one million), but I'd say that of the fifty or sixty passers-by I saw on the way, only two or three were not wearing masks.

Swifty

Reaction score
I walked into work today--none to do, but I had some paperwork and cleaning to finish.

We're not in a high-risk part of the country (a handful of cases in a city of one million), but I'd say that of the fifty or sixty passers-by I saw on the way, only two or three were not wearing masks.
Glad to hear things aren't too serious where you are and that almost everyone's masking up anyway .. I've been worried about you and the family dude .. have they closed your nipper's school?.. I read that South Korean schools are closed at the moment?

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Glad to hear things aren't too serious where you are and that almost everyone's masking up anyway .. I've been worried about you and the family dude .. have they closed your nipper's school?.. I read that South Korean schools are closed at the moment?
Thanks, mate. We're fine at the moment. No panic buying here and everything is home-delivered anyway.

Miss Yith's new term was put back one week (was due today) and now another.

The government have taken a lot of major steps and are now waiting to see what the outcome is on the numbers. Once the glut of infected cultists test results are complete, the daily figures for new cases may well drop.

It is actually amazing how many tests have been carried out in such a short time: very nearly 110,000. Once you know who has it, you can isolate and treat.

INT21

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Cromer jokes aside, we've just been to all 8 outlets in Cromer today that normally sell alco gel hand sanitizers and they've all sold out (including the surgery shop) due to panic buying, one of the places was limiting two only per customer. The Mrs has just ordered a few from Amazon, they won't arrive until the 28th.
A bottle of iso propanol should do the same thing.

Swifty

Reaction score
Thanks, mate. We're fine at the moment. No panic buying here and everything is home-delivered anyway.

Miss Yith's new term was put back one week (was due today) and now another.

The government have taken a lot of major steps and are now waiting to see what the outcome is on the numbers. Once the glut of infected cultists test results are complete, the daily figures for new cases may well drop.

It is actually amazing how many tests have been carried out in such a short time: very nearly 110,000. Once you know who has it, you can isolate and treat.
Plus you all get to hang out more for another week :twothumbs: .. your mission this week is to teach miniYith how to arm wrestle ..

Swifty

Reaction score
A bottle of iso propanol should do the same thing.
Is that the same stuff they used to put in with old school VHS head cleaning cartridges ?

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
So come on then guys; if it all goes Mad Max over here, what will you have stockpiled in your stash, over and above the essentials?

(Ever get the feeling that we're living through an apocalyptic sci-fi movie?)

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
So come on then guys; if it all goes Mad Max over here, what will you have stockpiled in your stash, over and above the essentials?

(Ever get the feeling that we're living through an apocalyptic sci-fi movie?)
I have a lot of loo roll. Bought because of Brexit.

INT21

Antediluvian
Reaction score
A word of warning with the alcohol.

A long while back in my factory maintenance days I had do do a particularly messy clean up of some chicken fat drains.

After all the usual washing I rinsed my hands in alcohol to eliminate any remaining bugs. And my nose was itching, so I scratched it; whilst breathing in at the same time.

Thought I'd blown my head off.

INT21

Antediluvian
Reaction score
I aught to add, be sure you are NOT using Methanol.

It is a neuro toxin and can enter through your skin.

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Reaction score
What is in my stash?

Apart from all my axes/knives/camping gear?

Two weeks worth of food, (My coupboards are pretty full on top of this official stash).

A big box of candles and loads of craft kit.

Maybe I should make something.

Schrodinger's Zebra

My joints go out more than I do
Reaction score
Serious question here which I'd really appreciate your opinions on.

What level of worry should be placed on the situation of a work colleague visiting a 'high risk' country for several days/ couple of weeks (either business or holiday) and then returning straight to work?

How worrying is the chance that they could bring back the virus and infect their colleagues, who otherwise have not placed themselves at this greater risk?

I am unaware of any guidance which states that the individual should quarantine themselves (unless they show symptoms). But they could come back to work before they show symptoms..

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Serious question here which I'd really appreciate your opinions on.

What level of worry should be placed on the situation of a work colleague visiting a 'high risk' country for several days/ couple of weeks (either business or holiday) and then returning straight to work?

How worrying is the chance that they could bring back the virus and infect their colleagues, who otherwise have not placed themselves at this greater risk?

I am unaware of any guidance which states that the individual should quarantine themselves (unless they show symptoms). But they could come back to work before they show symptoms..
Completely depends on a) which country, b) where they went within that country, c) what they did there.