COVID-19: How Are You? (Your Personal Notes; Queries; Reports)

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
Is anyone else trying to plan, military-style, when is the best time to go out shopping? If we're careful we could probably last another week before we really have to go out, but... keeping an eye on the numbers infected...

Do we go out this week, before the numbers get much higher (and while the country is in lockdown so theoretically less people to come into contact with?)

Or do we wait until next week, because the panic-buying might have subsided more by then so more chance of not finding empty shelves?

But if we wait too long and the lockdown is removed, there may be a mad "yippee we can go out again" response by the idiot public which means it could be busier again, and we don't want to get caught in that.

View attachment 24476

Anyone else having similar thoughts, or just us?
Well. My retired neighbour went to Sainsbury's in the hour reserved for the vulnerable (8am I think) and said the place was rammed. He got everything they needed but it was mega queues and no distancing.

We went in at lunchtime on the same day on the off chance, and the place was empty of shoppers and full of stock.

So my advice is just try and follow your normal routine. Everyone is trying to second guess and it's apparently not working.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I still appear to be Covid 19 free, which is a minor miracle working in a supermarket.

Thanks to another thread on here I sniff the coffee before I go to bed every night to ensure that I still have use of my olfactory sense.
It's also a good idea to smell the coffee when you wake up.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
I still appear to be Covid 19 free, which is a minor miracle working in a supermarket.

Thanks to another thread on here I sniff the coffee before I go to bed every night to ensure that I still have use of my olfactory sense.
At least 5 of us are expected to go to Norwich and back twice next week for training for a new supermarket job in our home town Cromer .. why can't the trainer just travel to Cromer? .. most of us will have to go by bus to Norwich if we want the jobs which is not only risky health wise but expensive at a time when we're all on breadline .. ffs ..

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
At least 5 of us are expected to go to Norwich and back twice next week for training for a new supermarket job in our home town Cromer .. why can't the trainer just travel to Cromer? .. most of us will have to go by bus to Norwich if we want the jobs which is not only risky health wise but expensive at a time when we're all on breadline .. ffs ..
Hmmm. They should reimburse you for the cost of getting there.

hunck

Justified & Ancient
Personally I wouldn't be keen to get on public transport right now.

Iris

Justified & Ancient
Thought I would go to the chemist today to pick up my prescription as I had to get a few things at the supermarket.
They said they don't have it and to ring the surgery.
Just tried twice and got the congested network message.
You wouldn't want to be in dire need.

Been out for a very gentle jog, the first time in...two years? Three? When I used to go before I'd sometimes wake up and think 'Stuff this, I can't be bothered' and so would often let the exercise slip altogether.

Now, I'm desperate to get outside for any reason. On my way home I saw some loose gravel on the pavement and thought 'maybe I could come come back later and sweep that up'.

By the way, I didn't see a single person when I was out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Ive lost my place (temporarily) but Im now with Dad.

We have plenty of food and everything.

We can do our own thing or we can do things together; yesterday we went for a walk along the Ridgeway.

Everyone is saying `hello` if they meet.

I found a holed flint which is said to be lucky.

Last edited by a moderator:

Who me

Devoted Cultist
Morning peeps I’m doing Lino printing and painting at the moment. We go out once a day as per guide lines
Every day because end of the week it’s going to be bad weather again. Our local spar shop does pretty well for stuff.
Youngest son thinks he might be getting the virus because his pillock of a boss made them go to the office.
The staff could have worked from home .the result being most of them are ill :mad:

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
What never ceases to amaze me is the sheer amount of jobs Swifty has had in such a small geographical area.

I'm fairly sure everyone in the local area knows he is capable and very good at the various jobs he does, but they know it will only last a few days or weeks.

He's always been the Cosmic Joker of employment in the Cromer area. I think he enjoys it.
I get bored easily, add to that that most jobs in Cromer are seasonal and add to that that this virus has shut down the hospitality industry. My new job is returning to somewhere I've already worked before but there's no guarantee we'll all be kept on when things return to normal ..

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Is anyone else trying to eke out their food? We have loads of packet/canned/sachet foods in but won't have any fresh fruit or veg for the foreseeable, apart from the big bag of spuds I secured yesterday.

Being brought up proper poor (that's northern poor, where we couldn't afford more than two slices o'whippet a week, not southern poor with the intermittent roasted goat's cheese shortages) I'm more than happy to adjust to simple ad hoc meals.

So just now I had the last of yesterday's gourmet sweet potato/tomato* soup, which tasted even better after standing, with sliced rolls and pitta bread rinsed under the tap to mitigate the staleness and roasted in the oven with the last scraps of cheese carefully spread over them.

A meal fit for a king. Although our current heir-in-waiting, he of the ears, would probably turn his regal nose up at it, having as he does a selection of 8 boiled eggs delivered every morning to choose from.
He's currently miffed because his acquisition of the coronavirus means he has to apply the toothpaste to the brush himself instead of having the footman do it. What a hardship, eh.

His mother served in the Land Army during the war and lived on common rations. He wouldn't last five minutes without his retinue.

*Made with half a litre from one of the 1.000,000 cartons of tomato juice Techy bought for some diet fad a while back plus half an onion left over from yesterday's cheese and onion panini-style pittas.

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Had a Zoom meeting earlier on with colleagues and had forgotten that one guys daughter has budgies. Her budgies started talking to my budgies and we both had to leave our respective rooms. Bloomin' budgies. :rollingw:<3
Big White Cat Canmore always shows his pucker to whoever we are skyping with!

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
indeed! @Swifty sent me a couple. :D
Years ago I picked up a smooth pebble with a hole through it and strung it over my bed from a nail, having been told it would keep nightmares away.*
Later I acquitted a turkey wishbone which I painted silver and fitted onto the string behind the stone. The effect achieved was of a bandy-legged sufferer of elephantiasis of the scrotum. (Do NOT Google.)

(ITOLD you not to.)

*It didn't work. I married one.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Is anyone else trying to eke out their food? We have loads of packet/canned/sachet foods in but won't have any fresh fruit or veg for the foreseeable, apart from the big bag of spuds I secured yesterday.

Being brought up proper poor (that's northern poor, where we couldn't afford more than two slices o'whippet a week, not southern poor with the intermittent roasted goat's cheese shortages) I'm more than happy to adjust to simple ad hoc meals.

So just now I had the last of yesterday's gourmet sweet potato/tomato* soup, which tasted even better after standing, with sliced rolls and pitta bread rinsed under the tap to mitigate the staleness and roasted in the oven with the last scraps of cheese carefully spread over them.

A meal fit for a king. Although our current heir-in-waiting, he of the ears, would probably turn his regal nose up at it, having as he does a selection of 8 boiled eggs delivered every morning to choose from.
He's currently miffed because his acquisition of the coronavirus means he has to apply the toothpaste to the brush himself instead of having the footman do it. What a hardship, eh.

His mother served in the Land Army during the war and lived on common rations. He wouldn't last five minutes without his retinue.

*Made with half a litre from one of the 1.000,000 cartons of tomato juice Techy bought for some diet fad a while back plus half an onion left over from yesterday's cheese and onion panini-style pittas.
We're okay on food - even our local mini Tesco has some veg and salad but me and my wife waste nothing. We're buying Warburton's Toastie bread as it's all I can get and I use the two crusts to make herb and garlic croutons to go with the salad and the homemade soups that are in the freezer. Our local veg shop had onions and potatoes last time I was there but this was a week ago.

Today's lunch will be... a bratwurst with steamed carrots and broccoli. Dinner is pizza and salad... and wine, obvs! Living like a king? Not quite, but we ain't doing too badly. The freezer also has homemade jumbalaya (okay, not great) and homemade beef, sausage and red-wine casserole so they'll be coming out soon.

I bought a dozen bottles of wine on Saturday but was on foot so was going to pick them up Sunday - by which time Majestic was closed. But they delivered them on Tuesday so equilibrium was achieved!

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Had a Zoom meeting earlier on with colleagues and had forgotten that one guys daughter has budgies. Her budgies started talking to my budgies and we both had to leave our respective rooms. Bloomin' budgies. :rollingw:<3
Haven't you done the Zoom hack yet, where you record yourself appearing to listen intently then play it back on a loop while you do something more interesting?

Krepostnoi

Almost uniquely humourless
Haven't you done the Zoom hack yet, where you record yourself appearing to listen intently then play it back on a loop while you do something more interesting?
Damn. Where were you this lunchtime? I've had to sit through my zoom induction before I can teach online for my current employer. It started at lunchtime, and went on for two and a bleedin' half hours. I would have given my weight in loo roll for that tip...

The kicker is, after 150 minutes devoted to working remotely, I've got to go into the office and sign a physical form confirming my attendance :rollingw:

CALGACUS03

Devoted Cultist
Hi All,

I'm not sure if this is the place to post this query, but here goes anyway.

There is an item on Ebay that I would really like to buy (for the sake of full disclosure; the item in question is a bar mirror for a long defunct distillery that used to exist in the town where I grew up). Beacause of the size and weight of the mirror (37" x 27") as well as it's fragile nature it is "collection only".

I've been hunting for an example of one of these for a number of years now, but this is the first one that I've found where the seller is within a reasonable distance of where I live (i.e. 178 miles). Furthermore, the seller has offered to drop the asking price of it by 25% for people who are 'watching' it.

Bear in mind that I've been working from home all week (last 10 days actually), and have barely left the house (as is responsible).

Would it be irresponsible for me to drive to the sellers house at the weekend and pick-up the mirror, bearing in mind that I would not be leaving the car at any point en route. Further, should I need fuel, I know of a 'pay at pump' only filling station on the way that would allow me to avoid contact with anyone else.

Personally, I can't see any reason why this would put anyone at risk of Covid-19, including myself. On the other hand, it does seem foolish in light of how we are all being expected to behave at the current time.

Thoughts, critiscism, castigation ...?