COVID-19: How Are You? (Your Personal Notes; Queries; Reports)

dream_decoder

Junior Acolyte
Reaction score
No danger of losing this one. We are the only shop for miles and we have a huge tourist customer base for most of the year. We're a Co Op, so not a small local enterprise.
The shop may stay but they'll happily replace the staff with self serve checkouts. I used to work for someone that made the damn things, and got tired of listening to the supermarket big bosses trying to work out how few staff they could operate with if they invested in the technology. I avoid them where possible...

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
Just under 50, other shitty health circumstances apply to me .. I think that makes me 5th or 6th in the que ..

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
The shop may stay but they'll happily replace the staff with self serve checkouts. I used to work for someone that made the damn things, and got tired of listening to the supermarket big bosses trying to work out how few staff they could operate with if they invested in the technology. I avoid them where possible...
I steadfastly refuse to use those self-service tills.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
That was my first reaction, but then I remembered I am scared of the police (you know what they can be like) and I am even more scared of the polis.
3037C889-6004-40D1-9C93-509E6FD84F47.jpeg

The A74M now. Pick out the hillwalker.

maximus otter

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
We are having a new shop built at the moment, there are some self serve checkouts but it can't be ENTIRELY self serve as alcohol and other age-related products won't go through them and have to be checked by a human. Also we have a large elderly customer base, so there will be significant manned tills to help them. All current employees are having contracts renewed and extended; we are in no danger of losing jobs here. Thankfully.

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Reaction score
Please don't! lots of vulnerable communities.... we love you, just not at the moment! :oldm:

Beresford

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
Also worth bearing in mind the virus has spread more in Scotland than anywhere else in the country. Don't risk it, titch, we need you here!
If you look at the number of infections per million Scotland is much lower than the rest of Britain. I think the impression that it's much worse is because of the elevation of 11 local.authorities to level 4 three weeks ago.As of this Friday evening they will all be back to level 3.

https://coronavstats.co.uk/uk

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Reaction score
Also worth bearing in mind the virus has spread more in Scotland than anywhere else in the country.
Has it? I wasn't getting that from the figures... can you share yours? I wonder if it's a mix up between the Scottish system of tiers and the different English one?

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
If you look at the number of infections per million Scotland is much lower than the rest of Britain. I think the impression that it's much worse is because of the elevation of 11 local.authorities to level 4 three weeks ago.As of this Friday evening they will all be back to level 3.

https://coronavstats.co.uk/uk
The per capita Covid death rate is far higher in Scotland than England.

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/news/edinburgh-news/covid-scotland-nicola-sturgeon-defends-19367256

The number of infections is less easy to establish, as it is dependant on the amount of testing carried out.

Beresford

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/news/edinburgh-news/covid-scotland-nicola-sturgeon-defends-19367256

The number of infections is less easy to establish, as it is dependant on the amount of testing carried out.
That report quotes figures for one week, almost a month ago.The overall number of deaths per million in Scotland is still a bit lower than in England, although with such a large difference in population it wouldn't take that much to change it either way..

As I type this the number of deaths in England is 54,736 as in Scotland it is 3989. England has near!y 14 times the number of deaths with a population about 10 times larger.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
Covid is a disease that typically kills old, sick, fat people.

Scotland has proportionately more old, sick, and fat people than the UK average.

maximus otter

Last edited:

Beresford

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
Covid is a disease that typically kills old, sick, fat people.

Scotland has proportionately more old, sick, fat people than the UK average.

maximus otter
Guilty as charged. Apart from the old bit and the sick bit. And I prefer to think of myself as stocky.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
*Two strands of Corona-chat transplanted here from tbe Whinge Thread*

titch

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Also worth bearing in mind the virus has spread more in Scotland than anywhere else in the country. Don't risk it, titch, we need you here!
Don't worry! Lner refunded my trains fare in a day, Premier inn let me change my dates, so I just have to dream of the highlands until May.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
That report quotes figures for one week, almost a month ago.The overall number of deaths per million in Scotland is still a bit lower than in England, although with such a large difference in population it wouldn't take that much to change it either way..

As I type this the number of deaths in England is 54,736 as in Scotland it is 3989. England has near!y 14 times the number of deaths with a population about 10 times larger.
I think it's a percentage thing, some kind of statistic anyway, I'm repeating what I've read in The Herald newspaper, but typically all their content seems to be behind a paywall (or some kind of wall) and all the other links available on a Google search are drenched in politics, so I won't pursue them here. Everything's bloody political these days, even a pandemic!

dream_decoder

Junior Acolyte
Reaction score
We are having a new shop built at the moment, there are some self serve checkouts but it can't be ENTIRELY self serve as alcohol and other age-related products won't go through them and have to be checked by a human. Also we have a large elderly customer base, so there will be significant manned tills to help them. All current employees are having contracts renewed and extended; we are in no danger of losing jobs here. Thankfully.
Think again, I had to sit through hours of video about completely staffless stores.
The big bosses were wetting themselves over the prospect and working out how long it would take to recoup the initial outlay.
The elderly are viewed as collateral in the war to maximise profits.
If you heard them talking you wouldn't feel so confident.
In China, a Store of the Future—No Checkout, No Staff | MIT Technology Review

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
Think again, I had to sit through hours of video about completely staffless stores.
The big bosses were wetting themselves over the prospect and working out how long it would take to recoup the initial outlay.
The elderly are viewed as collateral in the war to maximise profits.
If you heard them talking you wouldn't feel so confident.
In China, a Store of the Future—No Checkout, No Staff | MIT Technology Review
This is rural North Yorkshire.

I'm pretty confident.

Krepostnoi

Confronting the challenge of porcine fragility
Reaction score
I remember early this year, telling someone that even if it had been a crappy decade, I was finally feeling better as I had a proper social life and even money to travel.
I might have jinxed it.
If it's any consolation, my sister-in-law came to stay with us at the start of the year, and we were heard to remark it was a shame that she couldn't stay longer...

Victory

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Today I met a friend for lunch, outside.
I live in London, Tier 2, so that is legal.

The restaurant we got the food from was open...we were able to go in and order, but ate outside.

It was full of people sitting eating...I guess they were either from the same households, or having businesses lunches.

The restaurant was hot and humid...not pleasant conditions for avoiding illness.
I spent one minute in there choosing and placing my order, and then decided to leave immediately it was placed.
I wore a mask the whole time I was inside.

This was the most risky thing I have done since the pandemic started.

When I got home I gargled with mouthwash, showered, washed all my clothes.

So have made a note of December 10th, and will see if I get ill.
Please G-D I do not.

But I really wondered what was in the minds of the people eating inside....Covid cases are rising in London and it would not surprise me (or other people I have spoken to) to see Tier 3 imposed even ahead of the review date of 16 December.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Anecdote alert:

My father watches the news on television once a day and looks in on Facebook in the morning (to get his blood pressure up and check in on his local community association). Another relative of mine in the same locale, similarly reads the local rag and catches up with the morning and evening news only, but both have a very hazy and imprecise picture of the current trend of the virus in their area. More than once now, I've received a message from each on the same day, one telling me with relief that local cases are falling and another with concern that they're on the rise.

Similarly, their mental sketch of the national picture is hopeless--and it really doesn't help that Scotland and Wales are using different terms and categorisations. The piecemeal reporting of the deaths long after they have occurred has also given them a very misleading impression.

Perversely, their knowledge of the situation with the actual virus itself, the vaccines and the treatments, is completely accurate, but if they are in any way typical (and I'd say they're pretty average middle-middle/upper-middle class older people), then there must be some signifcant flaws in the government's communication strategy.

Data informs risk assessment. If you don't get clear facts to the people, they will make poor decisions.

note: i don't care what colour rosette the governent are currently wearing.

Last edited: