COVID-19: How Are You? (Your Personal Notes; Queries; Reports)

charliebrown

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
People in Colorado are concerned that a 20 year old living in a very rural area has come down with a mutant Covid with no history of travel.

pandacracker

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
I was diagnosed with the bloody virus on Dec 26th. Had felt a bit flu-ish on the 20th, felt better a couple of days later, then on the 24th realised I'd lost my sense of smell so organised a test.

No dry cough, no real fever (highest temperature has been a little over 37C) Had loss of appetite and felt light headed (in the symptoms section on the track and trace website there was an "altered state of consciousness" box. It didn't feel that bad!)

Lack of energy which triggered a depression which was tough but, not to go all 'Bolsonaro', it just felt like flu. (Luckily!)

Told to isolate till Jan 2nd and today woke up feeling proper better but as this thing seems to be a bit up and down I'm still a bit wary.

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I was diagnosed with the bloody virus on Dec 26th. Had felt a bit flu-ish on the 20th, felt better a couple of days later, then on the 24th realised I'd lost my sense of smell so organised a test.

No dry cough, no real fever (highest temperature has been a little over 37C) Had loss of appetite and felt light headed (in the symptoms section on the track and trace website there was an "altered state of consciousness" box. It didn't feel that bad!)

Lack of energy which triggered a depression which was tough but, not to go all 'Bolsonaro', it just felt like flu. (Luckily!)

Told to isolate till Jan 2nd and today woke up feeling proper better but as this thing seems to be a bit up and down I'm still a bit wary.
I was bemoaning the peculiarities of the NHS App on this site then blow me down on the 28th I developed a cough and a fever. I believe/hope it is just a stinking cold but am due into hospital on Monday morning for my infliximab, so I ordered a test on 29th which was delivered yesterday and was back out into a priority post box an hour or so later.
I have some of the symptoms you are experiencing but haven’t lost my sense of taste or smell. I have encountered dizziness, sleeplessness and my energy levels peak and trough throughout the day. Our in-ear thermometer recorded a temperature well in excess of 39C which was worrying, but the wife then tried a contactless one we have for the grandkids which indicated a whole degree lower. Lemsip and ibuprofen seem to be steadying the fever, but I feel crap.

The results should be sent to me tomorrow so I will know if I can have my medication on Monday. In the interim it is just a case of crash and burn.

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
My youngest Son has just phoned to tell me he has tested positive for the Rona, so my hope that mine is just a cold has taken a bit of a battering. I have only seen him very briefly in the last fortnight, he dropped a couple of birthday presents around for the wife, dropping them in the hall and then going straight back out to a waiting car, so there is still some hope.

gordonrutter

There must be a set character limit to this opt...
Staff member
Reaction score
My youngest Son has just phoned to tell me he has tested positive for the Rona, so my hope that mine is just a cold has taken a bit of a battering. I have only seen him very briefly in the last fortnight, he dropped a couple of birthday presents around for the wife, dropping them in the hall and then going straight back out to a waiting car, so there is still some hope.
The worry zone is under a metre for 15 minutes so here’s hoping you’re ok.

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
The worry zone is under a metre for 15 minutes so here’s hoping you’re ok.
That is what we have worked with on the site, offices and welfare, but if this new variant is more transmissible could that have potentially changed?

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
And another thing...
Having been careful with the face coverings, the hand washing and the social distancing, I was peeved to have picked up a seasonal cold. If it is the Rona, I am going to be mightily pissed off after all the precautions we have taken

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
And another thing...
For the last year we put on an electric oil vaporiser each night which runs for 6 hours. It has Tea Tree, lavender, eucalyptus and various other anti viral essential oils (not all at the same time) filling our bedroom.

charliebrown

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
Louisiana’s newly elected 41 year old Luke Letlow for the House of Representatives died within 2 weeks with COVID-19 before he was able to take office.

Luke had a wife and two young children.

Luke could not breathe causing a heart attack.

brownmane

off kilter
Reaction score
@pandacracker and @Tempest63, I hope you all get feeling better soon.

The virus is in my workplace, but with it being group homes, it is currently in one home. A casual employee was diagnosed with it just before Xmas. Everyone living in the homes she'd worked in were tested on December 23rd. We were told today that everyone else tested negative. Then less than 8 hours later another email went out to say that one of the people supported is now diagnosed with it. According to the email, this person had been tested twice in the last little while, including Dec. 23rd and all were negative. Apparently the person has also been to the hospital a couple of times recently and is currently in the hospital (unrelated to covid) and that is where s/he was diagnosed with covid (5 days after the last negative result).

Most people I know basically say that the test only confirms that you don't have covid at that day and time of the test. It doesn't seem to have much more relevance to it. I can't say much else about this virus as it's been said many times before, and it would just involve a long list of expletives.

Victory

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
And another thing...
Having been careful with the face coverings, the hand washing and the social distancing, I was peeved to have picked up a seasonal cold. If it is the Rona, I am going to be mightily pissed off after all the precautions we have taken
This is a very strong point.
I had the mildest of colds yesterday.
I have not slept much this week, so that explains it.
But neither have I shared any space with anyone except my flatmate for 7 days since visiting a supermarket, and I have been taking a lot of vitamins etc.

Then again...no idea whom my flatmate has been in contact with when he has been outside the flat.

Last edited:

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I was bemoaning the peculiarities of the NHS App on this site then blow me down on the 28th I developed a cough and a fever. I believe/hope it is just a stinking cold but am due into hospital on Monday morning for my infliximab, so I ordered a test on 29th which was delivered yesterday and was back out into a priority post box an hour or so later.
I have some of the symptoms you are experiencing but haven’t lost my sense of taste or smell. I have encountered dizziness, sleeplessness and my energy levels peak and trough throughout the day. Our in-ear thermometer recorded a temperature well in excess of 39C which was worrying, but the wife then tried a contactless one we have for the grandkids which indicated a whole degree lower. Lemsip and ibuprofen seem to be steadying the fever, but I feel crap.

The results should be sent to me tomorrow so I will know if I can have my medication on Monday. In the interim it is just a case of crash and burn.
I received a text and an email today stating that the lab could ”not read my Coronavirus test sample“. I was further advised to get another test “as soon as possible”.
I tried to order another postal test but the web site was having none of it, so tomorrow me and herself have to drive to Chelmsford to get a test at a drive-through.
Looks like my Monday infliximab treatment will have to be postponed.

Sid

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
I received a text and an email today stating that the lab could ”not read my Coronavirus test sample“. I was further advised to get another test “as soon as possible”.
I tried to order another postal test but the web site was having none of it, so tomorrow me and herself have to drive to Chelmsford to get a test at a drive-through.
Looks like my Monday infliximab treatment will have to be postponed.
Stay positive ~ no-matter 'Tempest63.'

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

I've also developed a cold, to which I've always been susceptible. But I've no temperature, no cough or sore throat, no loss of taste/smell – only a streaming nose/head cold. Really annoyed as I've been scrupulous with social distancing, hand cleansing etc, and I saw my elderly parents yesterday for my mum's 87th birthday, before the symptoms kicked in. So that's a worry.

Any change of symptoms and I'll get tested but so far this is a typical cold for me and means that I've been ill all year!

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I've also developed a cold, to which I've always been susceptible. But I've no temperature, no cough or sore throat, no loss of taste/smell – only a streaming nose/head cold. Really annoyed as I've been scrupulous with social distancing, hand cleansing etc, and I saw my elderly parents yesterday for my mum's 87th birthday, before the symptoms kicked in. So that's a worry.

Any change of symptoms and I'll get tested but so far this is a typical cold for me and means that I've been ill all year!
Nuke it with at least 2000 mg of vit C daily (but not a lot more than that).

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
I too have a cold. I haven't mixed with anyone for around 2 weeks which means I must've caught it out & about, maybe in a shop somewhere. I did a bike ride new year's day & it was bloody cold, numb fingers & toes, then went into one shop & noticed the cold symptoms later that day. I wore a mask in the shop.

Dunno which is the more contagious, Covid 19 or common cold, but it shows you can still catch a virus even when isolating/taking precautions.

Iris

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Our Probus was due to have a meeting on Monday, the first since last March, but due to the new restrictions it's cancelled.
We elect a new committee each March so the president hasn't chaired a proper meeting yet.

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Great twitter feed and some good points that perhaps the uk could employ. Would this be feasible in the UK?
Not sure how many people arrive daily in this Korean airport compared toHeathrow?
A hell of a lot less, but, as you suggest, it isn't an 'all-or-nothing' proposition.

Which has actually been a major element of the Korean response: many small changes to generate small diminuations in the infection rate are better than nothing and can add up to a significant improvement.

Side-note: the banana milkshakes they served the author are also favourites of mine.

Cochise

Priest of the cult of the Dog with the Broken Paw
Reaction score
I'm trying to keep my temper this morning. I'm effectively locked in, by a combination of Wales covid rules and the weather which has been almost constantly overcast and wet since September. My dog is my only companion and he is going stir-crazy as well. (want's to go out every 15 minutes, finds its horrible, comes back in , repeat from 9 am to 11 pm), my work has collapsed entirely, I'm going broke, and I'm seemly incapable of taking constructive action to do anything about it. Trying to evaluate courses of action in the current constantly changing condonations just leads to an even deeper sense of frustration. As soon as I try to get help / make progress the rules change and the help is withdrawn or the progress blocked.

I've been trying to support friends that are even more depressed than me and struggling with that. The blasted rats have invaded again - got rid of them a few months ago but there back. They've been a plague round here since they closed the local tip.

Just determined to hang on until this damn winter is over. Watched 'The Outlaw Josey Wales' last night - very therapeutic.

Analogue Boy

Bar 6
Reaction score
I think I know why Covid has spiked recently. It’s obviously because people started singing ‘We Wish You A Merry Christmas’ instead of the government instruction of ‘Happy Birthday’ while washing their hands. These people who ignore the advice of scientists deserve everything get in my opinion.

Victory

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
From Jeremy Clarkson in The Times

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...not-going-to-lie-it-was-quite-scary-sbvjvmv53

"I used an actual doctor and an actual laboratory, which revealed that I did have the coronavirus........

..........This is the problem we have. We keep being told that we know a great deal about Covid, but what I’ve learnt over the past 10 days is: we don’t. We don’t know how long we are infectious for. We don’t know how to tackle it. We don’t know what it does to us.

We don’t know how long the antibodies last. We don’t know how easy it is to catch it twice. And we certainly don’t know if any of the vaccines will work long-term. I don’t even know if I’m better now. Seriously, I have absolutely no idea."

Analogue Boy

Bar 6
Reaction score
I'm trying to keep my temper this morning. I'm effectively locked in, by a combination of Wales covid rules and the weather which has been almost constantly overcast and wet since September. My dog is my only companion and he is going stir-crazy as well. (want's to go out every 15 minutes, finds its horrible, comes back in , repeat from 9 am to 11 pm), my work has collapsed entirely, I'm going broke, and I'm seemly incapable of taking constructive action to do anything about it. Trying to evaluate courses of action in the current constantly changing condonations just leads to an even deeper sense of frustration. As soon as I try to get help / make progress the rules change and the help is withdrawn or the progress blocked.

I've been trying to support friends that are even more depressed than me and struggling with that. The blasted rats have invaded again - got rid of them a few months ago but there back. They've been a plague round here since they closed the local tip.

Just determined to hang on until this damn winter is over. Watched 'The Outlaw Josey Wales' last night - very therapeutic.
Well that’s a series of trials and tribulations Cochise. Stay strong.

Victory

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
@Cochise

I have taken the view that career ambitions are on hold whilst the economy has contracted beyond recognition.
If you can find any sort of "Work from home" job then why not?
Even if it is a basic IT support role for a few months...normally far below your level of expertise, but just a temporary means to an end.

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
So are we all exercising enough?

This Winter, the NHS recommends 150 minutes of exercise a week for 19 to 64 year olds (which I guess covers most of us here).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-essex-55327298

With no cricket, football or gyms, I've just realised that my 25 minutes or so a day on an exercise bike equates to nowhere near that and my middle age spread is spreading fast.

How about the rest of you?
Has the pandemic made you more sedentary than you would like?