COVID-19: How Are You? (Your Personal Notes; Queries; Reports)

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Me and the War office got our test results through this evening, both positive for Corona Virus. First symptoms were 28.12.20 so our isolation should be complete in 4 days if all the symptoms have disappeared.
Eldest daughter also got a positive test result yesterday and youngest daughter and her partner are sending their tests off tomorrow.
so far 4 of us have tested positive and we are now officially statistics.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Me and the War office got our test results through this evening, both positive for Corona Virus. First symptoms were 28.12.20 so our isolation should be complete in 4 days if all the symptoms have disappeared.
Eldest daughter also got a positive test result yesterday and youngest daughter and her partner are sending their tests off tomorrow.
Get well soon!

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Get well soon!
I’m hoping, and touching wood at the same time, that we are over the worst of it. The cough is still here in a reduced form, the ridiculous temperature swings seem to have passed, but the lethargy and tiredness persist.
We both suffered tremendous headaches but they seem to be improving by the day.
Thank you for your kind wishes.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Take care!

gordonrutter

There must be a set character limit to this opt...
Staff member
Reaction score
Get well soon for all of you.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
I’m hoping, and touching wood at the same time, that we are over the worst of it. The cough is still here in a reduced form, the ridiculous temperature swings seem to have passed, but the lethargy and tiredness persist.
Best wishes to you and yours Tempest X

Victory

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
How about the rest of you?
Has the pandemic made you more sedentary than you would like?
Yes.

I still exercise in the form of stretches, some load bearing exercise and the occasional (and I am trying to make it regular) walk.
But working from home has meant massively less incidental exercise i.e. walking to the station, climbing stairs at work, going out to see friends.
Hence less calories expended.
My waistline is growing.

My diet has not changed since lockdown though.

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Yes.

I still exercise in the form of stretches, some load bearing exercise and the occasional (and I am trying to make it regular) walk.
But working from home has meant massively less incidental exercise i.e. walking to the station, climbing stairs at work, going out to see friends.
Hence less calories expended.
My waistline is growing.

My diet has not changed since lockdown though.
Not just me then!
My New Year's Resolution is to increase my exercise levels substantially, as 20 mins or so on the exercise bike and a short workout with resistance bands, is clearly not enough to keep my spare tyre from inflating further.
That BBC report also stressed how important sunlight was to generate vitamin D, so I will take advantage of my hour's exercise to get out of the house for a trudge whenever I can.

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
That does sound pretty encouraging. The only person I know who tested positive for Covid was one of the developers in my team. He had the cough, fever and loss of taste and smell for around 10 days and the fatigue dragged on for maybe 3 weeks, but he's totally back to normal now two months later. Thankfully, the more worrying symptoms of "long Covid" only seem to hit a small proportion of those infected.

David Plankton

I AM HIM.
Reaction score

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Re winter cold & flu transmission:

Libby Richards, associate professor of nursing at Purdue University in West Lafayette, Indiana, on why colds & flu are easier to catch in winter.

Many viruses, including rhinovirus -- the usual culprit in the common cold -- and influenza, remain infectious longer and replicate faster in colder temperatures. That's why these viruses spread more easily in winter.

cold weather can change the outer membrane of the influenza virus; it makes the membrane more solid and rubbery. Scientists believe that the rubbery coating makes person-to-person transmission of the virus easier.

It's not just cold winter air that causes a problem. Air that is dry in addition to cold has been linked to flu outbreaks. A National Institutes of Health study suggests that dry winter air further helps the influenza virus to remain infectious longer.

How your immune system responds during cold weather also matters a great deal. Inhaling cold air may adversely affect the immune response in your respiratory tract, which makes it easier for viruses to take hold. That's why wearing a scarf over your nose and mouth may help.

Also, most people get less sunlight in the winter. That is a problem because the sun is a major source of vitamin D, which is essential for immune system health. Physical activity, another factor, also tends to drop during the winter.

In addition, cold weather dries out your eyes and the mucous membranes in your nose and throat. Because viruses that cause colds and flu are typically inhaled, the virus can attach more easily to these impaired, dried-out passages.

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
I ran my first ever half-marathon during the first lockdown. Thirteen miles, during which I saw two people (plus two blokes rebuilding a bridge). Mind you, I've worked all the way through, no furlough for us, so my life has largely been unaffected by the virus.

Get well soon @Tempest63

bakelite brain

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
I'm nearly fully recovered after getting ill on 2 December. I'm 62 and my partner is 52. We are both quite fit - I jog 40 minutes twice a week and maybe that really helped.

I woke on 2 December with what I thought was a worse than usual hangover - I'd had a few drinks the previous night. But I also felt like I'd been knocked off my bike the day before, all aches and pains. Temperature came and went. Hot and cold shivers. No cough yet, but after five days my partner starts to feel ill so we go to a drive-in swab test. Thirty-six hours later we both have positive results.

Partner 'only' has a bit of a temperature but a really sore throat and he recovers after about five days. I start the cough and the horrid night sweats - really waking up soaking in the night.

The odd thing about my episode was that early on I was quite well enough to go for a bit of a walk. Hadn't lost my appetite on good days, or sense of smell, could sit and read comfortably or work at the computer. Then about 3pm I couldn't get warm, went to bed to shiver, then get a temperature. This went on daily for about a week. A couple of nights I felt everything had just hit the end stops and I had nothing left. Fortunately my breathing was fine so didn't panic.

I didn't drink enough - just enough to quench my thirst. I think you need much more, maybe with a daily energy electrolyte drink to replace the salts. I found paracetamol really helped reducing the high temperate (40.C at one point).

I'm probably lucky. No obvious long term effects and stayed at home. Still not jogging, but doing 40 minute cycle rides so I must be nearly back to normal!

For some it can be a really long haul. If you're one of those, just hang in there. Don't force anything.

What is a bit irritating is those of us who have had it still cannot travel or mingle. We can't catch it again (probably at least for a few months) or pass it on. Yet we're nailed down like everyone else when we could be put to good use...

Last edited:

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
A friend who is in his early 70s has recently recovered from Covid. He said that actually going out for very short walks every day helped him to get over it, even if the walk was only as far as the end of the garden.

I am sure it helped him, but am aware that not everyone feels capable of going for a walk whilst suffering CV-19. However, perhaps being upright and moving did help his lungs.

Swifty

Reaction score
My Father has a cold.

Do not worry for him; it is a very mild one.

(as yet)
Does your Father have in his possession disposable tissue paper so as to blow his nose upon?

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
A friend who is in his early 70s has recently recovered from Covid. He said that actually going out for very short walks every day helped him to get over it, even if the walk was only as far as the end of the garden.

I am sure it helped him, but am aware that not everyone feels capable of going for a walk whilst suffering CV-19. However, perhaps being upright and moving did help his lungs.
We are still walking the dogs each day, morning and afternoon, and both the exercise and the fresh air help us feel better. The fatigue that comes with the illness plays havoc with the legs which start to get heavy within a few minutes of leaving home, but they haven’t given up on us yet.
Living in the country, we are able to walk the dogs in some remote locations which precludes contact with others and prevents us passing the virus on.

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
We are still walking the dogs each day, morning and afternoon, and both the exercise and the fresh air help us feel better. The fatigue that comes with the illness plays havoc with the legs which start to get heavy within a few minutes of leaving home, but they haven’t given up on us yet.
Living in the country, we are able to walk the dogs in some remote locations which precludes contact with others and prevents us passing the virus on.
This is something that has puzzled me. What do you do if you have a dog? Presumably if you are too sick then you aren't really bothered overmuch, but if you live somewhere where you can't go out without seeing people, and the dog NEEDS a walk, but you have to stay in for X days...what happens to the dog?

I ask out of curiosity as someone who lives alone with a hyperactive terrier who refuses to go into the garden...

(although I live in the middle of nowhere and can confidently go out and see nobody from day to day).

Swifty

Reaction score
This is something that has puzzled me. What do you do if you have a dog? Presumably if you are too sick then you aren't really bothered overmuch, but if you live somewhere where you can't go out without seeing people, and the dog NEEDS a walk, but you have to stay in for X days...what happens to the dog?

I ask out of curiosity as someone who lives alone with a hyperactive terrier who refuses to go into the garden...

(although I live in the middle of nowhere and can confidently go out and see nobody from day to day).
People sometimes advertise dog walking services in newsagents windows or on local community facebook pages where I live, rates are usually by the half hour or hour. I'd ask close friends first who'd they'd recommend. I'd expect them to reply with "Nobody Swifty because you haven't got a dog."

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Off in a bit for an appointment, arranged early yesterday before the new lockdown was announced.
I have no documentation about it so if I'm stopped I can't prove it, but will of course be waved on my way when I mention my eye test.