COVID-19: How Are You? (Your Personal Notes; Queries; Reports)

pandacracker

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
One for Titch .. wool winter knight helmet .. I reckon the adjustable mouth shields could be adapted for masks, I've just sent the link for these to Escargot, hopefully there's instructions .. :)

View attachment 33421
Can you share the link here @Swifty? or send me a pm? My mates girlfriend is a knitter and it's my birthday soon :p

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
Last edited:

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
People sometimes advertise dog walking services in newsagents windows or on local community facebook pages where I live, rates are usually by the half hour or hour. I'd ask close friends first who'd they'd recommend. I'd expect them to reply with "Nobody Swifty because you haven't got a dog."
But you aren't allowed to let anyone into your house if you've got Covid. How would they pick up the dog? Do you just turn it loose on the local streets with a cry of 'first one who can catch him gets the job?'

Swifty

Reaction score
But you aren't allowed to let anyone into your house if you've got Covid. How would they pick up the dog? Do you just turn it loose on the local streets with a cry of 'first one who can catch him gets the job?'
Tie the dog to the front of the house while the dog walker waits and watches from 2 metres away, move back, the dog walker unties the dog and takes it for a walk. Do the same in reverse when your dog is returned with payment in an envelope placed at an equally safe distance. Hand gel rubbed on the dog's lead and then wash your hands. Sorted.

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
This is something that has puzzled me. What do you do if you have a dog? Presumably if you are too sick then you aren't really bothered overmuch, but if you live somewhere where you can't go out without seeing people, and the dog NEEDS a walk, but you have to stay in for X days...what happens to the dog?

I ask out of curiosity as someone who lives alone with a hyperactive terrier who refuses to go into the garden...

(although I live in the middle of nowhere and can confidently go out and see nobody from day to day).
We walk the dogs twice a day, we are lucky to have the wide open countryside, a nature reserve and a river that runs the breadth of the town with a good footpath running beside it.
personally, I wouldn’t have a dog unless we had that sort of space. I understand your predicament with the terrier, our lab will not “empty” in the garden.

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
It's not so much on my behalf, Tempest, I live in a village in the middle of nowhere as I said. I could walk my dog whilst suffering from Covid, smallpox and the Black Death, should I suffer from all and have the energy. But what does one do when one needs to walk the dog but is confined by Covid regulations, to the house, and you can't go out without encountering people? Does the dog have to cross its legs for ten days or whatever the current regulations state?

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
It's not so much on my behalf, Tempest, I live in a village in the middle of nowhere as I said. I could walk my dog whilst suffering from Covid, smallpox and the Black Death, should I suffer from all and have the energy. But what does one do when one needs to walk the dog but is confined by Covid regulations, to the house, and you can't go out without encountering people? Does the dog have to cross its legs for ten days or whatever the current regulations state?
I would suggest that your terrier and our Lab would cross their legs, roll their eyes and cry and cry and cry. But when needs must they will go wherever they are able.
We worried about this when we put the Lab in with a Gundog trainer for a fortnight after the wife had surgery, but he soon realised where he had to go and go he did.
I must sympathise with those who don’t have a garden and keep a dog and have been made so ill by the virus that they can’t get out.

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
I must sympathise with those who don’t have a garden and keep a dog and have been made so ill by the virus that they can’t get out.

Me too. Although I have to say that I'd never have a dog without a garden, as you say, at least it's somewhere for the dog to go...in the end!

Beresford

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
We have received requests for dog-walking from people self-isolating. In the first instance we try to source a community volunteer, and failing that a member of staff has to do it.

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Does your Father have in his possession disposable tissue paper so as to blow his nose upon?
The house is full of kitchen roll.

(I think I have got it too)

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
One good thing about getting the dreaded Rona. Since losing my sense of taste and smell I’m rapidly working my way through some of the tins of instant coffee that I bought to try, or was gifted, and subsequently found I didn’t much care for the taste.

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
The house is full of kitchen roll.

(I think I have got it too)
Oooh rough kitchen roll, that will make your nose sore. Nice Kleenex impregnated with soothing balm...much better!

Erinaceus

Junior Acolyte
Reaction score
A runny nose is an opportunity to use some of those stockpiled toilet rolls.

I've just had a text from my sister, who had tested positive for Covid-19 Wednesday last week. She's been in bed coughing and feeling very poorly since Monday and has just got up to have something to eat. I'll ring her sometime tomorrow.

Victory

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
One good thing about getting the dreaded Rona. Since losing my sense of taste and smell I’m rapidly working my way through some of the tins of instant coffee that I bought to try, or was gifted, and subsequently found I didn’t much care for the taste.
Could always use that coffee for enemas?

brownmane

off kilter
Reaction score
Regarding the question of pet care if you end up with COVID-19, from what I have seen/read, you should have someone else take care of them as it is possible that you may give it to your pet. This worries me, as I have 3 cats and it is only I who cares for them. My friend who lives next door said that she would come in to care for them if I was really sick. My side door goes directly into the basement where I feed my cats, so that at least prevents anyone from coming directly into the house if I came down with it.

The person who I mentioned in post 3104, died Jan 2. He was someone who I’d supported in recent years. He was only a couple of months younger than I. He was born with Down’s Syndrome, so his aging is ahead of others his age. The newspaper tallies of deaths due to COVID-19 listed his as one. I know this b/c it listed my agency’s name, not his name.

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
It would take more than Covid to slow down the Patterdale. And I'm not convinced that it would transmit to her - are there many cases of pet animals actually suffering from Covid rather than the nebulous (and slightly suspect) 'testing positive' for it?

I'd back her over a virus any day. Hell, I'd back her over a bear.

Erinaceus

Junior Acolyte
Reaction score
My sister is feeling much better today but is still resting. The track-and-trace people have been keeping in touch to monitor her progress and she is hoping to resume working on Monday.

She is a blood donor and due to give blood next week. The transfusion service have told her to attend as usual but her blood will be kept separate because it will have a high level of antibodies. I copied this links from their website.

https://www.nhsbt.nhs.uk/covid-19-research/research-and-trials/plasma-trials/

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Got a call from the track and trace dudes today to remind me that today should be my last day of isolation and to check up if I have any lingering symptoms that may extend the isolation.
Luckily I only have the signs of a heavy head cold and smell and taste is not fully recovered which apparently doesn’t count, so, after running out of Garam Masala and Turmeric, and getting very low on both regular and Kashmir chilli powder during solitary confinement, I shall head to a spice shop tomorrow and stock up.

FREEDOM!

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Got a call from the track and trace dudes today to remind me that today should be my last day of isolation and to check up if I have any lingering symptoms that may extend the isolation.
Luckily I only have the signs of a heavy head cold and smell and taste is not fully recovered which apparently doesn’t count, so, after running out of Garam Masala and Turmeric, and getting very low on both regular and Kashmir chilli powder during solitary confinement, I shall head to a spice shop tomorrow and stock up.

FREEDOM!
I’m assuming there will now be no need for me to rush and have the vaccine?
Will I not have a Phalanx of protective antibodies with pikes at the ready to fight off any new attempts by the virus to intrude on my hospitality?

AnonyJoolz

Captainess Sensible
Reaction score
...The person who I mentioned in post 3104, died Jan 2. He was someone who I’d supported in recent years. He was only a couple of months younger than I. He was born with Down’s Syndrome, so his aging is ahead of others his age. The newspaper tallies of deaths due to COVID-19 listed his as one. I know this b/c it listed my agency’s name, not his name.
I am so sorry to hear your friend/client has died.

In the UK all adults with Down syndrome of any age are now advised under the 'extremely clinically vulnerable' criteria to be shielding, in the same category as the immunocompromised, those undergoing dialysis, transplant patients etc., It must be so hard and depressing for those folks with learning disabilities who are gregarious or naturally affectionate to be staying in all the time.

My late beloved uncle who had DS but was just 2 years older than me loved being out and about, chatting, swimming, tennis, going to the shops and flirting! In a way I am glad he passed away before 2020 so he didn't have to deal with the restrictions.

Swifty

Reaction score
Talking to my Brother in law yesterday, he said "Your Sister can't get me, I've made a bubble and I'm not letting her in it." (they live together) :)

SketchyMagpie

Junior Acolyte
Reaction score
My thoughts to all those dealing with infection, isolation or loss right now.

I'm OK, certainly doing better mentally than I was during the first lockdown, though feeling a bit disheartened and like the suffering and sacrifice over the last 10 months were for nothing.

brownmane

off kilter
Reaction score
I am so sorry to hear your friend/client has died.

In the UK all adults with Down syndrome of any age are now advised under the 'extremely clinically vulnerable' criteria to be shielding, in the same category as the immunocompromised, those undergoing dialysis, transplant patients etc., It must be so hard and depressing for those folks with learning disabilities who are gregarious or naturally affectionate to be staying in all the time.
The majority of people supported by my agency have not done much throughout this whole ordeal. He had been to the hospital shortly before this particular admission and had tested negative earlier. He was admitted with a systemic infection as far as I know, so it's hard to tell just what happened. He was in the later stage of dementia as well.:(

He was a natural comedian and though he didn't speak, he was wonderful at acting and pulling funny faces to make people laugh.