COVID-19: How Are You? (Your Personal Notes; Queries; Reports)

Schrodinger's Zebra

looking for cracks in the pavement.
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I appreciate your comments, but I genuinely think the lockdowns and restrictions are here to stay, they're never going to let us out of them. I can't accept living in a world like that but I really don't know what else to do. Mr Zebra feels the same. It's awful to be looking down the barrel of what they're doing and knowing that it's only going to get worse from here on in. We've suspected it for a while now but the events of this year so far are just confirming it. They're already talking about the possibility of lockdowns next winter to contain this. It's like a nightmare coming true right in front of our eyes. :(

Cloudbusting

I still dream of Orgonon
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I appreciate your comments, but I genuinely think the lockdowns and restrictions are here to stay, they're never going to let us out of them. I can't accept living in a world like that but I really don't know what else to do. Mr Zebra feels the same. It's awful to be looking down the barrel of what they're doing and knowing that it's only going to get worse from here on in. We've suspected it for a while now but the events of this year so far are just confirming it. They're already talking about the possibility of lockdowns next winter to contain this. It's like a nightmare coming true right in front of our eyes. :(
I totally get where you're coming from. When Chris Whitty started going on about how we may be in some form of lockdown next winter I nearly blew my top, and I've been pretty accepting of the measures to date (although I don't necessarily agree with how it's all been handled). There will be a point when 'enough is enough' and we accept the risks of the virus. *Hopefully* when the vaccines are fully rolled out this will make mortality and morbidity more in line with annual flu, and we can move on from this. We just can't live this way forever. We're a social species and a lot of people are really suffering now, in many ways.

I'm just hoping that the hospital capacity starts to reduce soon. I really feel for the staff, inpatients and their loved ones at the moment. :(

AnonyJoolz

Captainess Sensible
Reaction score
I want a refund on 2021 already. It's rubbish.

My Godfather is back in hospital, he does have a terminal illness but the treatments and the condition are causing other medical problems. During his first stay, early winter last year, he also contracted Covid-19 but fought it off.

My otherwise fairly well Auntie has now been taken in as she has had a stroke or something similar happen to her brain. CT shows no brain bleeds but we are all waiting on further news. I am praying she recovers and doesn't contract fecking Coronavirus as she's in a high risk group (respiratory condition). Both of them are in their early 70s, so hardly ancient.

Other stuff is happening, depression et al., but at least I know that shit well , and I am on (probably) lifelong medication for it and just have to keep living through it as I normally do.

Get up, keep living for another day, go to bed. Repeat.

I was feeling guilty a few days ago because I wasn't writing that amazing novel, nor becoming an outdoor exercise fanatic or being the superbly-productive lockdown genius or inventive organic chef. Now I'm thinking I'm doing awesomely fecking well by just getting up and showering, dressing, drinking tea and watching the cosiest TV I can find. Sod it, that's pretty good really!

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
I want a refund on 2021 already. It's rubbish.

My Godfather is back in hospital, he does have a terminal illness but the treatments and the condition are causing other medical problems. During his first stay, early winter last year, he also contracted Covid-19 but fought it off.

My otherwise fairly well Auntie has now been taken in as she has had a stroke or something similar happen to her brain. CT shows no brain bleeds but we are all waiting on further news. I am praying she recovers and doesn't contract fecking Coronavirus as she's in a high risk group (respiratory condition). Both of them are in their early 70s, so hardly ancient.

Other stuff is happening, depression et al., but at least I know that shit well , and I am on (probably) lifelong medication for it and just have to keep living through it as I normally do.

Get up, keep living for another day, go to bed. Repeat.

I was feeling guilty a few days ago because I wasn't writing that amazing novel, nor becoming an outdoor exercise fanatic or being the superbly-productive lockdown genius or inventive organic chef. Now I'm thinking I'm doing awesomely fecking well by just getting up and showering, dressing, drinking tea and watching the cosiest TV I can find. Sod it, that's pretty good really!
"We are here on this Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you any different" - Kurt Vonnegut

Ger

Junior Acolyte
Reaction score
Off work sick at the moment...I think c.10 months of (P/T) work in Residential care has taken it out of me. I had mentioned I was worried about the effect on my O.C.D...the thing that has really got to me is colleague's lack of concern for each other with regard to mask-wearing CORRECTLY , worrying to say the least.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Off work sick at the moment...I think c.10 months of (P/T) work in Residential care has taken it out of me. I had mentioned I was worried about the effect on my O.C.D...the thing that has really got to me is colleague's lack of concern for each other with regard to mask-wearing CORRECTLY , worrying to say the least.
Get well soon.

Mr Mischief

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
I fear they're just trying to see how much we'll stand for. Already the May elections are being mooted for another 'suspension' leaving officials in positions they have no mandate for anymore. For a supposed democracy this is extremely troubling and if it does continue then I foresee some very nasty scenes on our streets.
As for lockdowns and all the other restrictions, personally I'm not affected as I rarely go out of the house anymore, however my friends and family are getting quite verbal on the subject and if they're any indication of the country at large then there is definitely a shit storm in the offing. I reckon a nightmare is going to seem like a pleasant dream in comparison to the coming dystopia.

Schrodinger's Zebra

looking for cracks in the pavement.
Reaction score
I fear they're just trying to see how much we'll stand for. Already the May elections are being mooted for another 'suspension' leaving officials in positions they have no mandate for anymore. For a supposed democracy this is extremely troubling and if it does continue then I foresee some very nasty scenes on our streets.
As for lockdowns and all the other restrictions, personally I'm not affected as I rarely go out of the house anymore, however my friends and family are getting quite verbal on the subject and if they're any indication of the country at large then there is definitely a shit storm in the offing. I reckon a nightmare is going to seem like a pleasant dream in comparison to the coming dystopia.
Exactly. My fear also.

Trouble is, a lot of people won't realise until it's too late. Or, to put it another way: "My, this water is giving off a lot of steam" said the frog.

Victory

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
I was feeling guilty a few days ago because I wasn't writing that amazing novel, nor becoming an outdoor exercise fanatic or being the superbly-productive lockdown genius or inventive organic chef.
You forgot the sourdough bread.
That is essential, you must learn to make sourdough bread or else you will be fined by the Ministry of Social Media!!!

I have less time to myself noe than I have had in some years.
I am working a job that I think is fairly long hours, and consequently I get tired.
The nature of the work leaves me in neutral or a bit down at the end of each day

So I am not taking on board any huge targets of achievement.
Just trying to keep on top of admin and watch films/read.

I do a bit of exercise, which I alway did anyway.

And If I can do even 10 minutes of "self improvement" activity that is a major thing.

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
The issue is the poor response coupled with people continually flouting lockdown rules has lead to the current situation. It isn't a test or some sort of social experiment.

They can't relax anything as it will destroy a badly managed NHS. Anyone who has seen how the NHS has been abused over the years will not have been surprised this has happened.

All of us to different degrees knew this sort of thing was right around the corner, (unless you are a remote living tribesman), and yet we get all crazy because we have to endure it.

Those countries that experienced things like SARS understood it. We were too arrogant to accept it.

Last edited:

BlackPeter

Ancient Badger
Reaction score
Don't hold your breath but 'people are listening' is being repeated verbally shared at the moment where I live .. human traffic is certainly slowing down at the moment. Hopefully this will make a dent in the virus related problems. Our minor injuries staff at Cromer Hospital have all been diverted to the Norfolk And Norwich Hospital instead ..

Norfolk and Waveney quiet on first weekend of lockdown | Eastern Daily Press (edp24.co.uk)
Interesting - roads here are dead for the first time since Christmas (I know its Sunday but still usually loads of traffic on main road through our village and people walking around) onl

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
I fear they're just trying to see how much we'll stand for. Already the May elections are being mooted for another 'suspension' leaving officials in positions they have no mandate for anymore.
Mooted by whom?

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
Big (socially distanced) hugs to all those who are suffering in any way because of this virus.

I get annoyed with all the 'isn't lockdown great?' posts, which tell you all the lovely things you can do whilst you are not leaving the house, because I HAVE to leave the house for work. And we can all feel it getting closer and closer (my ex tested positive today and texted to tell me that he's just a bit 'lethargic and snuffly') and just wonder who's next. But we can't just not go to work because we're a bit scared - and I think that's saving us. Having to keep to a normal routine and do the things we did before the outbreak are very levelling.

Although I do have to confess that I wrote a novel and ran a half marathon in lockdown... no sourdough bread to report yet though.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I was out on my bike today for my second ride of the year. My observations are that this lockdown - compared with last year's - is a lockdown in name only. While the centre of Bath was quiet, though not as quiet as last year, the roads were much busier than during the first lockdown. And as for schools being closed, well, there are a lot of kids still at school if my ride was anything to go by.

And even though I only did 20km, I still had one 'incident'. A driver behind me at traffic lights overtook far too closely when the lights went green. We were both going straight and there was no traffic coming towards us so he could have waited maybe half a second/10 metres or so for a safe pass but chose the 'punishment pass' even though I'd done nothing apart from be on the road. I flicked him the Vs and he stopped about 50 metres further on (I guess he used his mirror to see how his overtake was received by me), so I just turned around and rode on a bike-only route. I don't get car drivers like that. It was pure uncalled-for aggression for no reason. Strange. The only thing I'd done was take the primary lane position for the previous 50 metres before the lights where there were two lanes. The right-hand lane was busy so there was no room for an overtake without him knocking me on to the pavement.

gordonrutter

There must be a set character limit to this opt...
Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting - roads here are dead for the first time since Christmas (I know its Sunday but still usually loads of traffic on main road through our village and people walking around) onl
It's Monday mate!

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
I expect that most likely your "I flicked him the Vs" was interpreted as an aggressive action and reacted to accordingly.
It's difficult to 'turn the other cheek' I know, but sometimes it's a more sensible course of action.
If this particular car driver was a bit unhinged (like Kenneth Noye e.g.) he might have jumped out and stuck a knife in you, which is obviously to be avoided.
I'm not defending him (or it could be her I suppose) but I do encourage you to be more aware of your own safety in those situations.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
I was out on my bike today for my second ride of the year. My observations are that this lockdown - compared with last year's - is a lockdown in name only. While the centre of Bath was quiet, though not as quiet as last year, the roads were much busier than during the first lockdown. And as for schools being closed, well, there are a lot of kids still at school if my ride was anything to go by.

And even though I only did 20km, I still had one 'incident'. A driver behind me at traffic lights overtook far too closely when the lights went green. We were both going straight and there was no traffic coming towards us so he could have waited maybe half a second/10 metres or so for a safe pass but chose the 'punishment pass' even though I'd done nothing apart from be on the road. I flicked him the Vs and he stopped about 50 metres further on (I guess he used his mirror to see how his overtake was received by me), so I just turned around and rode on a bike-only route. I don't get car drivers like that. It was pure uncalled-for aggression for no reason. Strange. The only thing I'd done was take the primary lane position for the previous 50 metres before the lights where there were two lanes. The right-hand lane was busy so there was no room for an overtake without him knocking me on to the pavement.
I backed out of a shop about a week ago, I was wearing a mask and about to walk in, the woman I was trying to give space to who was leaving .... but this caused me to accidently back into a small woman I hadn't noticed .. some big old bloke, probably her husband I don't know? shouted at me and called me a wanker .. I shouted back at him explaining it was just an accident and called him a twat and the world kept turning. It did cross my mind to punch him but he was old and he backed off and it would have been a stupid and wrong thing for me to do that to them. Always better to just walk away.

Last edited:

AnonyJoolz

Captainess Sensible
Reaction score
My 101 year old Grandma Eileen has just tested positive. The very good news is that she's currently experiencing absolutely NO negative symptoms. :badge:

Come On Eileen - YouTube

View attachment 33746
I am willing her on, and will pray she stays well @Swifty!

My Godfather is home again, but weak. My aunt is having more scans and tests, still in hospital.

I managed to get up by lunchtime and have just had a 3 minute disco in the kitchen when some Basement Jaxx came on the radio with an apt choon.

brownmane

off kilter
Reaction score
I hope that everyone who is not feeling well and/or had the virus recovers soon.

I got a call from my supervisor yesterday informing me that a coworker has tested positive and that I need to be tested. She told me that the health unit will be in touch (with the agency I think) either Monday (today) or Tuesday to set up the in house (group home that I work at) test - through a mobile unit. No info yet (its 1530 currently). I found out by calling another coworker that I was the only one informed that I need a test (I worked with the person last weekend). We have had ppe the whole time, but you never know.

At the time that I got the call, I was visiting my mom (who I hadn't visited for 3 weeks), so wonderful (sarcastic). I told her not to have anyone into her house until I get my test results so that she doesn't haven't to wonder who was there since I was. She wiped everything down. We did keep our distance and I went no further than her kitchen and had a coffee and lunch with her. I have no symptoms though (I think, as I am now considering every ache I have had today).

Now my coworker that I've been conversing with has arranged her own test (she wants it for her own safety) and gets an appointment at the local hospital for tomorrow. Ironic as I don't have an appt yet and should and she was able to set up a test for herself faster. She calls the on call supvr to ask about what she needs to do as she is working tomorrow and has the appt. The on call supvr basically tells her to await the mobile unit visit and we don't even know if the unit is testing everyone on staff in the house or just me. wtf? No wonder the numbers are increasing when no one seems to have a clue as to what to do and how.

I left a message with the covid helpline to see what I should be doing and she just called me back to say she will get in touch with the caseworker handling my agency to get more information. She said that generally if you've been in close contact, that you should be self-isolating for 14 days, but she will have to get back to me.

The stupid thing about this is that in the spring, our provincial premier was saying that everyone would be able to get tested for covid19 and that they were ramping up testing centres. They were originally drop in. Now that the numbers have increased dramatically (we are doing worse than Quebec) there are no drop ins. It is appt only and you can't get a test unless you screen in to whatever the criteria are. wtf?

Sign me confused.