COVID-19: How Are You? (Your Personal Notes; Queries; Reports)

Cochise

Priest of the cult of the Dog with the Broken Paw
Reaction score
I realise that most of my friends on here are not Christian. So I can maybe not get across how terrible it is for a Christian to be denied Communion for many many months. I am in a state of sin with my Lord and I have to assure you this is no insignificant thing. I'm astonished the Western churches have acquiesced to this - many ways Communion could be administered without risk have been suggested, not least by my fellow parishioners, but the alleged Church is deaf.

This is dereliction of duty and betrayal of the basic tenets of Christianity.

The Eastern churches seem to be doing better.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I realise that most of my friends on here are not Christian. So I can maybe not get across how terrible it is for a Christian to be denied Communion for many many months. I am in a state of sin with my Lord and I have to assure you this is no insignificant thing. I'm astonished the Western churches have acquiesced to this - many ways Communion could be administered without risk have been suggested, not least by my fellow parishioners, but the alleged Church is deaf.

Internet chat with your vicar?

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
How's your gran doing, @Swifty?
I don't know but thanks for asking .. my Sister's the main one in the know at the moment in Staffordshire. I'll be writing my Gran a letter in the next couple of days. I phoned her last week but she's too deaf too hear me. I've been told she's cheery though thanks X ..

Lb8535

Very charming snow person
Reaction score

In the hospital where I volunteered, the local parish (RC) authorized deacons to give communion if no priest was available and if no one was allowed in at all I think they managed with a staff member and/or a phone. I know we had "communion kits" available. This may be peculiar to the US but it's worth asking about. And any Catholic present could baptise a newborn in an emergency. If your local priest doesn't want to discuss go to the bishop.

Min Bannister

Possessed dog
Reaction score

How has that happened? The churches were open for months up until Christmas so communion should have been available?

AnonyJoolz

Captainess Sensible
Reaction score

I have only partaken of communion once this past 12 months, and it was the bread only.

Communion can be given without the presence of a minister of faith, but normally where two or more are gathered (as of course you'd already know).

Some hospital chaplains do so without being ordained formally - I received communion in hospital under this system and it was a great comfort and strengthener.

Depending on where you are, and the regional set-up, get in touch with your local diocese/area team and ask for a suitable liturgy (if available) to be emailed to you, and their advice re. giving of communion. I am guessing the Church of Wales? (apologies if I am wrong). It can't hurt anyone to ask?

In the meantime, on Chelmsford's CofE page is a good resource for a 'spiritual communion' with a short liturgy here: https://www.chelmsford.anglican.org/spiritual-communion

Please PM me :)

Lb8535

Very charming snow person
Reaction score
I have only partaken of communion once this past 12 months, and it was the bread only.

Communion can be given without the presence of a minister of faith, but normally where two or more are gathered (as of course you'd already know).

Some hospital chaplains do so without being ordained formally - I received communion in hospital under this system and it was a great comfort and strengthener.

Depending on where you are, and the regional set-up, get in touch with your local diocese/area team and ask for a suitable liturgy (if available) to be emailed to you, and their advice re. giving of communion. I am guessing the Church of Wales? (apologies if I am wrong). It can't hurt anyone to ask?

In the meantime, on Chelmsford's CofE page is a good resource for a 'spiritual communion' with a short liturgy here: https://www.chelmsford.anglican.org/spiritual-communion

Please PM me :)
Thanks this is very helpful. Are confessions heard electronically now?

AnonyJoolz

Captainess Sensible
Reaction score
I'm afraid I don't know, I've never had one! I'm non-denominational :)

GingerTabby

Carbon-based life form
Reaction score
Some priests have been hearing confessions by telephone so I wouldn't be surprised if Skype, Facetime, etc. are being used as well, provided that the lines are secure.

I agree with Mytho's suggestion to speak to your vicar. You should be able to make a confession if you wish even though the Eucharist isn't being celebrated. I also support AnonyJoolz's recommendation to partake of 'spiritual communion' and the brief liturgy. That's what I've been doing.

As an aside, I've noticed that the Eastern churches have had to modify their method of delivering communion to the faithful. Instead of using one metal spoon to drop the mixture of consecrated bread and wine into the mouths of the faithful, their priests now use one plastic spoon for each individual communicant. This practice reminds me of the use of individual cups for communion in some Protestant denominations.

Victory

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
@Cochise

In Judaism.

We can pray anywhere except whilst in the loo.
Whether we pray alone or with others, the prayers get heard.

Without wanting this thread to get too heavy or derailed, there is a short story about a man who lived a couple of thousand years ago.
He did a lot of bad things.
One day he sat down for a moment to take a rest whilst on a walk on a hill.
Suddenly it dawned on him what a wicked life he had lead.
With sincere regret he sighed, a deep sigh of regret that his life had been wasted.
The he died.
That sigh was his repentance, it was sincere and came from the very core of his soul.

All he needed was a sigh.
Not even a spoken word.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
I realise that most of my friends on here are not Christian. So I can maybe not get across how terrible it is for a Christian to be denied Communion for many many months. ...
If you worship with the Church In Wales - and you've not done so already - you can download the (MS Word) document outlining CiW communion policies (eff. December 21) at:

https://www.churchinwales.org.uk/do...ebrating_Holy_Communion_18_December_2020.docx

At least this will allow you to evaluate the procedures and possibilities.

Cochise

Priest of the cult of the Dog with the Broken Paw
Reaction score
Apparently this is a local diocese decision. We had been having services with a lay reader who could not at the time take communion, but they decided when Wales went to alert level 4 to close everything. Had a phone discussion with our lay reader and it sounds like there are some complex local issues involved. He's very frustrated.

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Reaction score
@Cochise you have my empathy. It's a most unpleasant feeling.

If it helps, we have had it confirmed that God understands that sometimes things aren't possible. That our desire and need to make things right works as the deed, when the deed itself is impossible.

:oldm: :oldm: :oldm:

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
I've just received notification that there's an outbreak in the nursing-home where my elderly grandmother lives, although at this stage those affected are overwhelmingly staff members.

My grandmother had the Oxford-Astrazeneca vaccine very recently.

Is anybody able to supply anything authoritative about how long is required before the vaccine offers some level of protection?

Sub-optimal situation here.

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
Yith - AFAIK the Oxford-AstraZeneca jab begins to confer some effectiveness after about 12 days, increasing to about 60% over approx a week or so after that, then the approved timespan for a second dose to boost effectiveness to 95% is around the 3 week mark, similar to the Pfizer-BionTech one, however the UK government (based on putting their finger in the wind it seems) have decided to go with the extreme length of interval for 2nd dose, at 12 weeks (reportedly so that there can be greater concentration on getting more people jabbed over all).
The 'Oxford' jab does however have the advantage of being able to be stored at more sensible temperature, and so is more likely to be able to be administered from a greater variety of locations.
Hope that helps.

Analogue Boy

Bar 6
Reaction score

I suppose I could be considered the typical CofE ‘Three Sprinkle Job’ (and no.2 was a registry office so one sprinkle so far) but I do appreciate what this isolation must be doing to congregational worship as well as individual spiritual guidance. That’s another of dollop on the top of what some of us are enduring.

charliebrown

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
What is going on?

British government says that will not give booster COVID injection for 3 months instead of 2 weeks.

Any one know ?

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
There was this old book I read once.

Bunch of guys got together and wrote it--seems they were pretty certain.

Covered a lot if stuff about God and what-have-you...
One of the first examples of franchising and multi level marketing.

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Reaction score
What the actual....? Who confirmed this?
We as in the congregation I belong to. As in a group of consenting adults.

Which is why I said to @Cochise "if it helps". No assumptions, no anything. I shared it to see if it might help a mate. No more and no less. @Cochise I'm really sorry if I messed up :(

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
What is going on?

British government says that will not give booster COVID injection for 3 months instead of 2 weeks.

Any one know ?
Manufacturers recommend that the booster is given 21 days after the initial dose.
UK govt takes 'advice' on it from 'SAGE' as a result of pressure to get as many people to be given the treatment as possible in the shortest time frame.
This results in the decision to not give the 2nd dose until 12 weeks later. This decision is not supported by the manufacturers.
This decision effectively prevents treatment centres from being in the position of having 2 separate 'queues' (2nd dose & new 1st dose) of patients that they have to administer simultaneously and allowing the target of '22million patients to receive the treatment by Easter' to be achievable with the limited amount of treatment available to them.

brownmane

off kilter
Reaction score
Fingers crossed that your test results will be negative. Hang in there brownmane!
All good :chuckle:. So far every one of us tested (including the people I support) have come back negative. There is maybe one person I haven't heard directly from, but I haven't been working with her. So I think our house is ok. The guys still have to remain in their rooms for another full 3 days until we have reached the 14 day monitoring/isolation period.

Last edited: