COVID-19: How Are You? (Your Personal Notes; Queries; Reports)

RaM

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
48 hours since jab, nothing much to report, a very very slight muzzy head that may
or may not be the jab for a hour or two yesterday and that's it.

I friend that is a medic giving the jabs tested positive a few days back even though
he had the jab, this resulted in is family being isolated, more tests proved it a false
positive due to the jab and he is now back at work.

Sollywos

Studying for finals of Grumpy Old Lady degree.
Reaction score
Sollywos was it the moderna one?
My daughter's online friend in Mississippi had the same symptoms and then passed out in the shower.
I had the AstraZeneca. I hope your daughters friend is OK!

As long as you are wrapped up nice and warm it should be positively encouraged
I was but my hat kept falling off so I thought at first that getting my head cold may have caused me to feel dizzy. Then I realised it was more than just feeling dizzy/fuzzy so took myself to bed! Still feeling unwell yesterday but much better today.

Poor old snowman though not so good ... his eyes have fallen out as his head gradually melts! :(

Sollywos x

brownmane

off kilter
Reaction score
I had the AstraZeneca. I hope your daughters friend is OK!

I was but my hat kept falling off so I thought at first that getting my head cold may have caused me to feel dizzy. Then I realised it was more than just feeling dizzy/fuzzy so took myself to bed! Still feeling unwell yesterday but much better today.

Poor old snowman though not so good ... his eyes have fallen out as his head gradually melts! :(

Sollywos x
Not laughing at your wellness, just about your snowman.

Sollywos

Reaction score
As long as you are wrapped up nice and warm it should be positively encouraged :yay:
Well what do you know but the final item on tonights Anglia News (ie 'the feel good factor slot) was about a couple of nurses at the James Paget Hospital in Gorleston who built a snowman for an elderly patient to view from his hospital bed! It was somewhat bigger than mine and of course being in hospital grounds the jolly chap was wearing a mask. :)

Sollywos x

Victory

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
A friend's wife is on a ventilator in a London hospital.
Age 50.
Her daughter works for a doctor's surgery, caught it there, came home and isolated, but being in the same house her mum caught it.
My friend's wife is about three stone overweight (42lbs).

He is not allowed to visit her.

Apparently the minimum time on a ventilator is 30 days.

My friend has to be strong for his children but I can tell he is totally shocked and hit for six.
Of course, none of us can visit him. Just phone and message.

Last edited:

GingerTabby

Carbon-based life form
Reaction score
Age 50.
Her daughter works for a doctor's surgery, caught it there, came home and isolated, but being in the same house her mum caught it.

My friend has to be strong for his children but can tell he is totally shocked and hit for six.
I'm sorry to hear that, Victory. I hope your friend's wife will make a full recovery.

Sollywos

Reaction score
My friend has to be strong for his children but can tell he is totally shocked and hit for six.
Oh my goodness I can well imagine what a dreadful time it is for him. I do hope his wife will make a full recovery. It's hard watching a friend suffer and not be able to do more for them.

Sollywos x

brownmane

off kilter
Reaction score
With Canada having supply issues, it's pretty slow. They were just approved a week ago that Canada can manufacture the Moderna vaccine,
Sorry needed to edit because I can’t keep the drug companies straight, but it is Novavax that the Canadian government has made the production deal with.

brownmane

off kilter
Reaction score
Age 50.

My friend has to be strong for his children but I can tell he is totally shocked and hit for six.
I can’t imagine how difficult that situation is for your friend and family. Their daughter must be very heartbroken. Keep calling him and do whatever you can for the family.

I do hope things turn around for them.

genex17

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
Got my first Pfizer jab. Kind of a surprise. I checked my hospital app and the appointments were wide open. I got one. These appointments go like Super Bowl tickets. Sore arm, but less of a chance me getting it and worse, passing it on.

PeniG

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
My husband, who is in a high-risk group and whose employers (the county) got in a couple thousand doses for employees got his first shot yesterday morning. He drove to the parking garage of the building where he used to work at the appointed time, drove up to a station, got his shot and an appointment for the next shot without getting out of the car, and came home. We were prepared for any number of side effects, but all he got was a sore arm. I understand that the second shot is more likely to have side effects but we shall see.

His appointment was first thing in the morning, and I was having one of those days when I couldn't fully wake up. So all the time he was getting his shot I was having a really frustrating dream about a hospital that was half shopping mall and laid out so that no matter where you were trying to go in the hospital you'd be funneled into a shopping area. Trying to get information - like where the person you're married to is - out of hospital staff was a matter of literally playing games in order to get the privilege of receiving information, not to mention determine the cost of service, and you were not only pitted against hospital staff but against other patients. The wards were color coded but there were at least three green wards in slightly different shades...When I finally fought my way out of it I was still pinned in bed by three cats, who didn't seem to be particularly worried about getting their breakfast.

Vaccine distribution in Texas has been a bit of a nightmare and though my husband is high-risk I'm relatively low risk and an introvert to boot. It doesn't bother me to stay home, though not being able to go to the library properly is a bit inconvenient. But every single cashier, teacher, food service worker, and delivery person in town really should be vaccinated before I am and I'm happy to wait in line behind them.

MorningAngel

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
My husband, who is in a high-risk group and whose employers (the county) got in a couple thousand doses for employees got his first shot yesterday morning. He drove to the parking garage of the building where he used to work at the appointed time, drove up to a station, got his shot and an appointment for the next shot without getting out of the car, and came home. We were prepared for any number of side effects, but all he got was a sore arm. I understand that the second shot is more likely to have side effects but we shall see.

His appointment was first thing in the morning, and I was having one of those days when I couldn't fully wake up. So all the time he was getting his shot I was having a really frustrating dream about a hospital that was half shopping mall and laid out so that no matter where you were trying to go in the hospital you'd be funneled into a shopping area. Trying to get information - like where the person you're married to is - out of hospital staff was a matter of literally playing games in order to get the privilege of receiving information, not to mention determine the cost of service, and you were not only pitted against hospital staff but against other patients. The wards were color coded but there were at least three green wards in slightly different shades...When I finally fought my way out of it I was still pinned in bed by three cats, who didn't seem to be particularly worried about getting their breakfast.

Vaccine distribution in Texas has been a bit of a nightmare and though my husband is high-risk I'm relatively low risk and an introvert to boot. It doesn't bother me to stay home, though not being able to go to the library properly is a bit inconvenient. But every single cashier, teacher, food service worker, and delivery person in town really should be vaccinated before I am and I'm happy to wait in line behind them.
Interesting about the shops. My mum just booked at the local shopping centre for a couple of weeks time. We’re in the UK and dad has had his and we were wondering when they would get around to mum, she checked the NHS website and could book. She got the letter saying she could in the post today, it had been held up. There’s various sites about the place including a TV set!

Lb8535

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

Peni I have a friend in Santa Fe who is thinking of driving to Amarillo for her shot. I can't think of any other reason to go to Amarillo but apparently their county health dept is well organized, (nb that's a four-hour drive).

Zeke Newbold

Carbon based biped.
Reaction score
I am now the grateful recipient of the first shot Russian SPUTNIK V vaccine (which, I believe none other than The Lancet has recently praised for being something like 96% effective).

Getting it was simplicity itself. I just turned up - without appointment - to the famous GUM shopping Mall on Red Square in Moscow, went to the third floor and asked for it. I was required to fill in two simple forms and show my passport and registration. They didn't even bother to check my work visa (which is usually the magic pass to any other kind of public service). Then I got the first jab, just like that. It all took about ten minutes!

I have to return for the follow up in early March - but even so, there is a seven day window in which I can choose the day, so don't even have to miss any work.

When this was completed, I was offered a free ice-cream! (I passed on this. It was minus 13 and blowy outside. You really do have to be Russian to want an ice-cream in such situations!).

I am intensely critical of the current Russian regime...but. on a credit where it is due basis - I really do have to comment on the efficiency and equitableness with which the Russians have rolled out their vaccine - particularly when seen in relation to the experience in other countries.Totally free of charge, no waitng lists, no delays, no prioritisation - and they don't even care if you're a migrant!

Needless to say, there is no mention of any of this in the Western press, as far as I can see.

Last edited:

Victory

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I am intensely critical of the current Russian regime...but. on a credit where it is due basis - I really do have to comment on the efficiency and equitableness with which the Russians have rolled out their ice-cream- particularly when seen in relation to the experience in other countries.Totally free of charge, no waitng lists, no delays, no prioritisation - and they don't even care if you're a migrant!
"We're on our way, we're on our way, we're going to Russia, we're on our way, how we get there we don't know, how we get there we don't care, we're on our way, we're on our way......." :dinner::dinner::dinner:

Sollywos

Reaction score
Getting it was simplicity itself. I just turned up - without appointment - to the famous GUM shopping Mall on Red Square
Right I've been there so I can picture where you were getting your jab. No doubt it will have changed a bit from '74 :)

It was minus 13 and blowy outside. You really do have to be Russian to want an ice-cream in such situations!)
Yep that's one of my lasting memories of being there. Minus double figures, snow thick on the ground and the Muscovites eating ice cream! Not only that, our fashion had changed to midi skirts, but they were still in mini skirts o_O ........ leading to mutual stares of bemusement!

Pleased you got your top of the range vaccine! :)Are the Russians keen to take it up? What encouragement measures are in place?

Sollywos x

AnonyJoolz

Captainess Sensible
Reaction score
Peni I have a friend in Santa Fe who is thinking of driving to Amarillo for her shot. I can't think of any other reason to go to Amarillo but apparently their county health dept is well organized, (nb that's a four-hour drive).
But does she know the way?

[in all seriousness, I hope your friend gets her vaccination OK & stays well]

Lb8535

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
But does she know the way?

[in all seriousness, I hope your friend gets her vaccination OK & stays well]
Everyone knows the way. Get onto 40, head for St. Louis, and drive through sagebrush for four hours. She,s going to wait for New Mexico to shape up.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I'd just like to say that on Friday night/Saturday morning I had three Covid nasal swabs and a throat swab within an hour or so of each other; it was a very, very, very, very unpleasant experience, akin to somebody sticking a toothbrush up each of your nostrils for 10 seconds and scratching away vigorously at your brain (yes, I know your brain doesn't have never endings, but you get the gist). I'll post the reason behind my delightful weekend tomorrow. I should say that my health is good but that's not the way I'd like it proved!

Lb8535

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I'd just like to say that on Friday night/Saturday morning I had three Covid nasal swabs and a throat swab within an hour or so of each other; it was a very, very, very, very unpleasant experience, akin to somebody sticking a toothbrush up each of your nostrils for 10 seconds and scratching away vigorously at your brain (yes, I know your brain doesn't have never endings, but you get the gist). I'll post the reason behind my delightful weekend tomorrow. I should say that my health is good but that's not the way I'd like it proved!
Ew. In my area they're using shorter swabs, but I had one of the "long q-tips" previously. Not a favorite.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
I had no idea when mine is theoretically due so I went and asked surgery reception.

They told me Wednesday.

I guess they have some free slots to fill.
I wouldn't quibble either :cool: .. I only know one person (in non internet life) who's refused for conspiracy theory reasons so far. Forget her. .. and someone else who somehow has jumped the list and accepted (even he's not sure how it's happened) but he's a key worker who's kept all our spirits up so I'm glad he's unintentionally sneaked through the system .. last March was a bastard when customers didn't have to wear masks yet and we couldn't get alco gel/hand sanitiser so we had to improvise with isopropyl .. this dude, photo not staged was very tired ..

Hopefully all emergency workers will be jabbed next and then supermarket and other key workers.

aossit002.jpg

charliebrown

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
A new group is popping up in the U.S. called “ vaccine chasers “.

Many vaccinations sites now have standby lines as people wait for hours to jump in if a person does not show for their allotted

appointment slot or waiting for vaccines that is about to expire.

OK, here is the complaint from older people.

A lot of these vaccine chasers are young, and older people are saying this is not right wanting the vaccinations to

go to only older people.

Who is right and who is wrong ?

As a side note, a sister in law in Memphis waited for six hours in a car line.

What if you need to go to the bathroom ?