COVID-19: How Are You? (Your Personal Notes; Queries; Reports)

Victory

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Better that a vaccine dose is used on someone aged 18 than thrown away entirely because someone did not turn up to an appointment.
That 18 year old is less likely to catch Covid so then is less likely to infect other people.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
A new group is popping up in the U.S. called “ vaccine chasers “.

Many vaccinations sites now have standby lines as people wait for hours to jump in if a person does not show for their allotted

appointment slot or waiting for vaccines that is about to expire.

OK, here is the complaint from older people.

A lot of these vaccine chasers are young, and older people are saying this is not right wanting the vaccinations to

go to only older people.

Who is right and who is wrong ?

As a side note, a sister in law in Memphis waited for six hours in a car line.

What if you need to go to the bathroom ?
Any civilised society is to be judged on how it treats it's weakest/slowest people. I think that's a British one? .. but if anyone can correct me on the exact quote, the who said it and when then thank you. That's what we should all be doing either way.

Beresford

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
Better that a vaccine dose is used on someone aged 18 than thrown away entirely because someone did not turn up to an appointment.
That 18 year old is less likely to catch Covid so then is less likely to infect other people.
I agree that it's better to use a vaccine than bin it, but even then there should be priority list for spare doses.

Swifty

Reaction score
Some 18 year olds (lets drop the bullshit .. most .. but not all) are more likely to feel invincible, mix with more of their friends and potentially spread an infection. The place I work at is almost a 'speakeasy' because we're located almost out of town. We've got those plastic shields up so bravado won't be a problem.

Other than that, I was about to walk into my local store earlier .. some random maskless bloke stormed out and almost into me. I looked at him and sarcastically said to him "legend" .. he said "Oh shut up!" and that would have been that .. then the store owner asked me "what did he say to you?" so I told him .. then the young lad who works there added "He was spitting in the store".

I looked at the owner, he looked at local women, we all looked at each other, she left the store, I looked at the owner who said "I don't want him in here anymore" .. bad choice by maskless guy .. I went back outside to find him/or punch him then felt a bit sorry for him because he'd quickly walked away so wasn't looking for a fight ..

.. substance abuse, alcohol abuse and mental health factors need to be considered, there's a lot of frightened people about.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
Any civilised society is to be judged on how it treats it's weakest/slowest people. I think that's a British one? .. but if anyone can correct me on the exact quote, the who said it and when then thank you. ...
Interesting question ...

This sentiment or claim has been popularized under diverse phrasings for a long time. The general point has been used with reference to society, civilization and government.

In the 20th century it was widely mis-attributed to Gandhi, who seems to have actually said something similar with respect to treatment of animals:

https://atkinsbookshelf.wordpress.c...easured-by-how-it-treats-its-weakest-members/

Many recent attempts to trace the origins of this quote dig back only as far as the late 19th century:

“A society should be judged not by how it treats its outstanding citizens but by how it treats its criminals.”
― Fyodor Dostoyevsky

https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/7646988-a-society-should-be-judged-not-by-how-it-treats

However ... The sentiment's general form (above and beyond 'criminals') can be found in the mid-19th century:

"If a test of civilization be sought, none can be so sure as the condition of that half of society over which the other half has power."
- Harriet Martineau (English author)

... and in a concise form it can be found in the 18th century:

"A decent provision for the poor is the true test of civilization."
- Samuel Johnson

It wouldn't surprise me to find even earlier quotations that essentially make the same point.

Swifty

Reaction score
Interesting question ...

This sentiment or claim has been popularized under diverse phrasings for a long time. The general point has been used with reference to society, civilization and government.

In the 20th century it was widely mis-attributed to Gandhi, who seems to have actually said something similar with respect to treatment of animals:

https://atkinsbookshelf.wordpress.c...easured-by-how-it-treats-its-weakest-members/

Many recent attempts to trace the origins of this quote dig back only as far as the late 19th century:

“A society should be judged not by how it treats its outstanding citizens but by how it treats its criminals.”
― Fyodor Dostoyevsky

https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/7646988-a-society-should-be-judged-not-by-how-it-treats

However ... The sentiment's general form (above and beyond 'criminals') can be found in the mid-19th century:

"If a test of civilization be sought, none can be so sure as the condition of that half of society over which the other half has power."
- Harriet Martineau (English author)

... and in a concise form it can be found in the 18th century:

"A decent provision for the poor is the true test of civilization."
- Samuel Johnson

It wouldn't surprise me to find even earlier quotations that essentially make the same point.
A similar sage sounding piece of advice I once read somewhere said that if and when you're ever going to hire an employee you'll need to absolutely count on, take the interviewee to a restaurant then watch how they instead talk to the waiter/waitress instead of you .. because that reveals their true personality.

Cochise

Priest of the cult of the Dog with the Broken Paw
Reaction score
Had the AZ vaccine yesterday. Felt pretty grotty overnight - bad headache, painful arm, sweating. Still feeling pretty poorly today, but nothing not covered in the list of 'Very Common' side effects.

I actually had a choice between the Pfizer vaccine from one of the 'vaccine centres' or the AZ vaccine from my GP. Took the latter. Was warned it takes up to 14 days to be effective and won't be fully effective until I've had the second dose.

However, quoting from the paperwork I was given:

'Two doses will reduce your chances of becoming seriously ill. We do not know yet if it will stop you from catching or passing on the virus.'

So a vaccine passport sounds pretty pointless at this stage, no?

Coastaljames

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Course it's pointless.

Calling it a "vaccine" is a tad disingenuous. It is unlikely to stop you getting it or passing it on.

What it will do is mean that if you do get it, then you're not going to be as ill as you would be if you didn't have it. Most importantly, you won't require a hospital bed.

But I don't really think it's a vaccine in the way most imagine that.

MorningAngel

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Course it's pointless.

Calling it a "vaccine" is a tad disingenuous. It is unlikely to stop you getting it or passing it on.

What it will do is mean that if you do get it, then you're not going to be as ill as you would be if you didn't have it. Most importantly, you won't require a hospital bed.

But I don't really think it's a vaccine in the way most imagine that.
Most places just calling it the jab.

MorningAngel

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Weren’t there stories the other week that one of them was looking good for cutting transmission?

charliebrown

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
Americans woke up to news that Prince Philip was in the hospital.

Is this a covid shot complication ?

Sollywos

Studying for finals of Grumpy Old Lady degree.
Reaction score
Americans woke up to news that Prince Philip was in the hospital.

Is this a covid shot complication ?
They are saying that it isn't Covid related ... he and Lizzy had their jabs a month ago so I doubt it's complications from that. There again would they tell us if it was?

Sollywos x

Sollywos

Studying for finals of Grumpy Old Lady degree.
Reaction score
Just seen on the local news:-

'Surge testing - or mass testing - for the South African variant of Covid-19 is being expanded in several areas across England, including ...'

My area ..... oh joy looks like I'll have to be doing my test at home and having read what some of my fellow forumites have to say about the procedure I'm not sure I'll be up to the task!!

Oh well look on the bright side .... at least I'll be getting two visitors this week-end when the test kit is delivered and collected :)

Ho hum

Sollywos x

charliebrown

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
Dr, Fauci was on news a few days ago saying that the South African has been detected in about 7 states, and this was

concerning to him as it could have some resistance to the now present vaccine.

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Reaction score
My area ..... oh joy looks like I'll have to be doing my test at home and having read what some of my fellow forumites have to say about the procedure I'm not sure I'll be up to the task!!
I wouldn't do it for fun but I had no problem with it. :)

Cloudbusting

I still dream of Orgonon
Reaction score
I am still waiting to be invited for my jab and I'm supposedly in a vulnerable category.
A mystery.
:( Fingers crossed you get it soon. My mam pointed out something interesting today. Jo Whiley has been in the news talking about how she's been offered a vaccine before her sister (who is vulnerable and unfortunately now has COVID) however Jo herself is only 55?? And as far as I'm aware she's not in any priority groups, otherwise I wouldn't have thought she would have raised the issue with her sister. So how/why has she been offered one? I thought they were only up to 65+ so far. I'm not begrudging her getting the vaccine, I'm just surprised she's been offered one at this point in the rollout.

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
My Newsagent in London is 57, she gets a jab next week. One of our Lodge Porters in London is 52, he gets a jab next week.
I don't live in London, I will probably be 70 by the time I'm offered one.

Ger

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
Mentioned before .......I had mine on 1st Feb (because of work). now other half has had his on 13th Feb (.I had noticed that people could now book ...he is 65. He went on-line and booked it for following day or 1 after ? He could also book his 2nd !... I was told to wait for message. Not su,e but seem to be a lot of slightly varying experiences with it all.

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Reaction score
As an aside, has anyone who asked for it been told to wait?

(Arm very slightly tender but rest of me just fine...)

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Got home from work today to find a parcel of fruit from the government. I don't know the specifics, but Mrs Yith said that she added our address to a website, and all families with young children are eligible; apparently, the aim is to promote healthy living despite the disruption of the virus.

Unexpected.

SmartSelect_20210218-212017_Gallery.jpg

Cochise

Priest of the cult of the Dog with the Broken Paw
Reaction score
Well, I'm pretty much OK now, except body temperature control still up the creek - going from shivering to sweating and back again. Last 24 hours up to this morning very unpleasant. Medium severe flu symptoms and shortness of breath coupled with migraine style headache and random physical pain. For a few hours my chest was hurting so much I was debating whether to call 999 in case my heart was about to give out.

Obviously not everyone will get the same side effects, but I can see why in some countries there is worry about giving the AZ to the old and frail - what i have experienced could finish a very weak person off. Equally obviously so could Covid-19 - a very difficult judgement call.

Last edited:

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Oh, that does sound grim.

Still, most people seem to be OK.