COVID-19: How Are You? (Your Personal Notes; Queries; Reports)

CALGACUS03

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
I got the AZ jab on the 23rd and about ten hours later started feeling a bit "off". When I felt my face with my hands I realised that I had a temperature (face burning hot, hands seemingly ice cold). Spent a very uncomfortable night alternating between being unable to get warm and feeling far too hot. Also joint and muscle pains. It was very like a short-lived flu.

Took the following day off work (my first sick-leave in over a year) and felt back to normal by the evening of the 24th.

I too am interested in whether I can expect to get the same symptoms from my second-go-round with the vaccine.

It's still better than risking Covid or long-Covid.

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
"Yellow Card" adverse reactions (in the UK) get reported and recorded.
Each of the different vaccines in use have side effects of various sorts, mostly minor.
Each vaccine has it's own main side effect though.
AFAIK the astra-zeneca flavour has reported over 10,000 'nervous system' reactions (not sure how serious that is though, could just mean some reported numbness in the jab site I guess).
I'll see if I can find the report I was reading that gave all the figures.

And I am retracting my earlier statement that the government had stated that the vaccines do not give immunity, or prevent transmission, as they have just yesterday said there is now evidence that it DOES give immunity and prevent transmission.
I wish they'd make up their minds.

Ghost In The Machine

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Thanks Ghost - I'm mostly looking for reports from people who've had both jabs, to see whether the second reaction is stronger than the first.

My friend - who HASN'T had Covid - had a very strong reaction to her first jab. She's wondering whether it's going to be as bad the second time round. I've been exposed to Covid but had no reaction to the jab at all.
I reckon the answers will come with the UK folk as another ten weeks pass, because we are having the much longer interval between jabs.

staticgirl

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Yes I am starting to see reports from my friends come in about their second jabs but i can't see a pattern. I don't think we'll be able to predict. Maybe when more data comes in there will be more of a pattern but personally I think it's quite random.

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
Yes I am starting to see reports from my friends come in about their second jabs but i can't see a pattern. I don't think we'll be able to predict. Maybe when more data comes in there will be more of a pattern but personally I think it's quite random.
I know a few people who've had their second jabs but, of necessity they are all quite elderly and they seem to be suffering less badly from side effects from the vaccine anyway.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Had my first jab today (AZ), no side effects but I'll wait till tomorrow to see for sure. The medic reassured me that nobody had died from the vaccine! I didn't ask, but thanks. He also said it took three weeks for the immunity to build, then after that I would have 80% immunity until I had the second jab.

Sollywos

Studying for finals of Grumpy Old Lady degree.
Reaction score
I know a few people who've had their second jabs but, of necessity they are all quite elderly and they seem to be suffering less badly from side effects from the vaccine anyway.
Well I'm 71 and had flu like symptoms for 36 hours or so starting 24 hours after the vaccine. Not sure if having had in my 30s and again in my 50s bouts of what was called 'post viral fatigue'(both going on for a year or so) is pertinent or not. I've not been called for the second vaccine yet but I'll keep you posted.

Sollywos x

MercuryCrest

The Severed Head of a Great Old One.
Reaction score
Just had my first jab of Moderna today. Supposedly there are some fancy side-effects like complete and total exhaustion like you had just run a marathon. Plus, a new arm might grow out of my head! So there's that to look forward to....

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
My 90-year-old mother-in-law had her second jab today - my wife isn't telling her sister, as she went bonkers on hearing about her mum's first jab. Really batshit psycho, and I suspect it's a family rift that may never heal; my wife's sister has become a full-on anti-vaxxer and general believer in batshit conspiracies.

Hey ho.

brownmane

off kilter
Reaction score
Just had my first jab of Moderna today. Supposedly there are some fancy side-effects like complete and total exhaustion like you had just run a marathon. Plus, a new arm might grow out of my head! So there's that to look forward to....
Hate to burst your bubble, but I got none of the extras :chuckle:. Tender arm for about two days. I couldn't tell if exhaustion was a side effect, or just the fact that I'd finished work for the day lol.

bugmum

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
My dad (86) had his second Pfizer on Friday, and reported no problems.

The In-House GP (52), as I previously reported, had his second Pfizer on Saturday and came home with a metallic taste in his mouth. After a couple of hours he started feeling wiped out, so lay on the sofa and played Ratchet and Clank, which seemed to help. The following day he had general malaise, but not enough to stop him doing things. Oh. and the sore arm too.

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Had the jab a few weeks ago but seem to have caught the 'rona anyway. :(

Like 'flu. I've also had the 'flu and pneumonia jabs so I dunno.
I hope you make a speedy recovery :(

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar

Get well soon!

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
This does seem to indicate that the jab doesn't protect people very much, if at all.

Sollywos

Studying for finals of Grumpy Old Lady degree.
Reaction score
Get well soon Escargot x

Sollywos x

Ghost In The Machine

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Official government advice is that none of the vaccines give immunity, or prevent someone from carrying the C19 and being infectious, it is only a treatment to ameliorate the severest of symptoms to give you a better chance of not dying if infected.
So in reality the assumption that those not being vaccinated are putting others at risk, due to their selfishness, does not hold water.
But it does if a significant proportion of those vaccinated can't transmit the disease. And it is looking to be the case.

At random:
https://fortune.com/2021/04/01/its-official-vaccinated-people-dont-transmit-covid-19/

If, say, one in five people who got vaccinated, still caught the disease and could still transmit - that still would represent an exponiential increase in safety for the rest of the population.

There are some people for whom the vaccine simply won't work. And in their case, the more other people who have the vaccine - also, the better.

BTW the vaccines do give immunity - for most people.

Ghost In The Machine

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

Aw, the chances are you'll get a much milder version of Bastard. My husband has the flu jab every year and gets flu most years... but he aten't dead yet.

Stay in your shell, snail, and rest up.

And on the plus side, you will have way more antibodies after this than other folk have even after the second jab which should save you from going through this again.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
This does seem to indicate that the jab doesn't protect people very much, if at all.
No, Myth.
It really doesn't.
It indicates that one jab didn't stop one person contracting the virus.
The data suggest that even if one does contract the virus, having had the jab will make the resulting effects less virulent.