COVID-19: How Are You? (Your Personal Notes; Queries; Reports)

Patrick30

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
Being retired I’ve just hunkered down at home the past yr, only going out for essentials, masking, washing hands, avoiding gatherings, etc. so far I haven’t had so much as a sniffle.
Last Monday I got my 1st Maderna, and promptly went into anaphylacxis. So I got an ambulance ride, 4 hrs at the emergency room, and pumped full of epiphedrine and predesone. No more vaccines for me according to all the Drs.
So y’all get your shots and get er done. I’d like to resume living ASAP.

GingerTabby

Carbon-based life form
Reaction score
Being retired I’ve just hunkered down at home the past yr, only going out for essentials, masking, washing hands, avoiding gatherings, etc. so far I haven’t had so much as a sniffle.
Last Monday I got my 1st Maderna, and promptly went into anaphylacxis. So I got an ambulance ride, 4 hrs at the emergency room, and pumped full of epiphedrine and predesone. No more vaccines for me according to all the Drs.
That must have been an awful ordeal, Patrick30. I hope you're feeling better now.

brownmane

off kilter
Reaction score
Glad to hear that you're ok. Unfortunately, sometimes you find that you react to something only by trying it. Hope you're feeling better soon.

brownmane

off kilter
Reaction score
So I did pop in here for a sec just to post some covid relief. I heard this in the car while I was driving home:
Funny that he wrote and performed this way before current times.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
A sore shoulder is very small beer compared to your ordeal. Hope you've sufficiently recovered. Get your vaccines, don't put @Patrick30 at risk!

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
So I did pop in here for a sec just to post some covid relief. I heard this in the car while I was driving home:
Funny that he wrote and performed this way before current times.
Off-topic, but that's a really nice album the song is from.

Patrick30

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
Glad to hear that you're ok. Unfortunately, sometimes you find that you react to something only by trying it. Hope you're feeling better soon.
Thanks everybody for the well wishes. Yea I’m fine other than being all nervous and roided up from the predesone pack all week. Indeed it was a big surprise, this kind of reaction is apparently extremely rare. I certainly wasn’t expecting it cause in the last 18 mo I’ve received flu, pneumonia, and shingles vaccinations with no problems. Hopefully I’ll get some immunity from 1 shot. Please everyone get yours and don’t let my one in a million experience deter you.

GingerTabby

Carbon-based life form
Reaction score
My great aunt of 101 has passed away one week after her second vaccination, no major health issues and had no major reaction to either. As far as we know it was "just" age - fine one minute , gone the next...
My condolences to you and your family, Lobeydosser.

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Had the jab a few weeks ago but seem to have caught the 'rona anyway. :(

Like 'flu. I've also had the 'flu and pneumonia jabs so I dunno.
Bloody hell - just noticed this. Hope symptoms are not too bad & that you can shake it off speedily.

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Reaction score
My great aunt of 101 has passed away one week after her second vaccination, no major health issues and had no major reaction to either. As far as we know it was "just" age - fine one minute , gone the next...
Please accept my condolences. fx

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I just did an antibody test. It would appear the fever I had around Valentine's Day was Covid, not love.
Now I have to break off that engagement.
Hope you are OK now.

Lb8535

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
It can be a puzzle. I had a mystery fever-cough bad enough to send me to bed for a few days and keep me off my feet for a few weeks in Nov 19. I've assumed that it was just some weird virus because, well, November. But the dates keep getting pushed back.

Krepostnoi

Confronting the challenge of porcine fragility
Reaction score
It can be a puzzle. I had a mystery fever-cough bad enough to send me to bed for a few days and keep me off my feet for a few weeks in Nov 19. I've assumed that it was just some weird virus because, well, November. But the dates keep getting pushed back.
Same here.

BlackPeter

Ancient Badger
Reaction score
Me and the missis had this after a December holiday in the Lake District. She was sceptical saying where would we have caught it? I said how about that day we spent on a mini-bus full of chinese tourists?!

Stillill

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Me and my wife both had flu like symptoms in December 2019. It wasn’t as bad as flu but a lot worse than a cold. We both had to take time off of work and were bedridden for some days. We are both convinced it was Covid.

charliebrown

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Can you get a COVID antibody test !

In the U.S. the cost range is 25 to 70 dollars depending if it is a instant or send to lab test.

Last edited by a moderator:

Xanatic*

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Yes, cost me about 50 dollars for a home test kit. It was called Primacovid.

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

In the U.S. the cost range is 25 to 70 dollars depending if it is a instant or send to lab test.
On the news in England today it was announced that from friday, everyone can get 2 free covid tests a week

"Everyone in England is to be given access to two rapid coronavirus tests a week from Friday, under an extension of the government's testing programme."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-56632084

Lb8535

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

I think that it's less expensive if you go through Labcorp, they have a website. The problem is that it does not indicate whether the vaccine actually took (ie are you in the 5%) and no one is sure how long after infection the antibodies will last so going back over a year may well be meaningless.

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
On the news in England today it was announced that from friday, everyone can get 2 free covid tests a week

"Everyone in England is to be given access to two rapid coronavirus tests a week from Friday, under an extension of the government's testing programme."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-56632084
Work (University) was already recommending free in-house testing (only for those not showing symptoms) twice a week since we came back from Xmas. Can only find time for one a week and I cannot say how accurate the testing is.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score

No exclamation mark needed charlie .. my Sister was diagnosed with the antibodies last year and is still rocking an NHS ward, cleared to continue to help others. We are going to starve this prick. Trust. KBO.

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
On the news in England today it was announced that from friday, everyone can get 2 free covid tests a week...etc
The problem there is that, if you estimate for a False Positive Rate of even only 0.4% (below the estimated 2%) it will still lead to many non-cases.

Assume 40 million UK residents decide to self-test in the first week.
40m x 0.4% = 160,000
That will most likely be taken totally out-of-context and used as an indication of a new wave of infections.