• Server Outage Announcement

Hello, Everyone.
    We will be installing an update to XenForo (the forums software), and doing some server maintenance.
    Consequently, the forums will be unavailable from about 12 - 2 MDT / 2 - 4 EDT / 6 - 8 GMT on Sunday 9th May 2021.

COVID-19: How Are You? (Your Personal Notes; Queries; Reports)

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
The American news has hammered away about blood clot and low platelet problems with covid vaccinations.

Since I have a past history of low platelets, I told hospital I will reschedule my first shot.

I am being cautious.
Can you select which vaccine you have? The Modena vaccine has had no reports of rare clotting side effects yet, just a bit of info on the clotting issue, it seems to mainly effect women under 60.

"So far, most of the cases reported have occurred in women under 60 years of age within 2 weeks of vaccination. Based on the currently available evidence, specific risk factors have not been confirmed."

https://www.ema.europa.eu/en/news/a...very-rare-cases-unusual-blood-clots-low-blood

Last edited by a moderator:

Beresford

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
Can you select which vaccine you have? The Modena vaccine has had no reports of rare clotting side effects yet, just a bit of info on the clotting issue, it seems to mainly effect women under 60.

"So far, most of the cases reported have occurred in women under 60 years of age within 2 weeks of vaccination. Based on the currently available evidence, specific risk factors have not been confirmed."

https://www.ema.europa.eu/en/news/a...very-rare-cases-unusual-blood-clots-low-blood
There doesn't appear to be an awful lot of difference on the risk of developing a clot between AstraZeneca and Pfizer / Moderna vaccines, 5 per million as opposed to 4 per million. The risk of getting a clot from the virus is about 39 per million. I'll add the caveat that data is still being gathered and therefore the reported figures may change.

https://news.sky.com/story/risk-of-...zeneca-jab-study-12276088?dcmp=snt-sf-twitter

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
I stocked up on Isopropyl alcohol when 'this' first started early last year .. it's 99.9% denuder (so alcoholics can't drink it or they'll instantly puke) and easier to use than hand gel because it evaporates almost immediately, does the same job but stronger. Part of my job is to covid proof where we work so I bought a few small hand sized spray bottle from Boots the chemist and use them instead to spray areas that our customers are known to frequently touch like the front door handles, the door handles to the soda fridge and the touch screen devices. I recommend this technique. I can also instantly spray it on anywhere I don't want to touch in public .. It's the same stuff we used to clean VHS machine heads in the 80's.

IPA Isopropyl Alcohol 99.9% Purity. 5ltr Gallon on OnBuy

charliebrown

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
In our area sometimes Moderna or Pfizer is available, you never know.

The second shot is always the same.

Lb8535

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I stocked up on Isopropyl alcohol when 'this' first started early last year .. it's 99.9% denuder (so alcoholics can't drink it or they'll instantly puke) and easier to use than hand gel because it evaporates almost immediately, does the same job but stronger. Part of my job is to covid proof where we work so I bought a few small hand sized spray bottle from Boots the chemist and use them instead to spray areas that our customers are known to frequently touch like the front door handles, the door handles to the soda fridge and the touch screen devices. I recommend this technique. I can also instantly spray it on anywhere I don't want to touch in public .. It's the same stuff we used to clean VHS machine heads in the 80's.

IPA Isopropyl Alcohol 99.9% Purity. 5ltr Gallon on OnBuy
The advice here is to use the 70% because the stronger stuff evaporates before it can do the job.

brownmane

off kilter
Reaction score
Canada is not doing well. The other day, I heard that our cases per million is now higher than the US:(. Ontario’s number of infections is worst in the country. We are under “stay at home“ orders, just extended today from 4 weeks to 6.

The premier has also, apparently, given police the power to stop and question people for address and reason for being out. If it is deemed not “essential”, people can be fined. Borders between Ontario and its neighbouring provinces will also be monitored somehow. The premier of Ontario made it sound like it’s something he’s initiating, but it is really the neighbouring provinces because of Ontario’s numbers.

F*** this has been a loooong year and in Ontario (it may be all of Canada, I’m not sure) our second doses (if you have even gotten the first) is being pushed to four months. So I was fortunate because of the field I work in, to get my first shot the end of March. I won’t get my second until July.

Possibly, I should have put this on the whinge thread.:tears: Sometimes it’s hard to see any end in sight.

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
I wonder if they've done a correlation between blood clots due to vaccine and blood clots due to the contraceptive pill? Seems odd that it's mostly women of childbearing age (ie, those most likely to be using the pill) that suffer blood clots from the vaccine, when it's already very well understood that the pill can cause blood clots (and in far higher numbers than the vaccine). Perhaps when the two come into alignment in susceptible individuals?

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I wonder if they've done a correlation between blood clots due to vaccine and blood clots due to the contraceptive pill? Seems odd that it's mostly women of childbearing age (ie, those most likely to be using the pill) that suffer blood clots from the vaccine, when it's already very well understood that the pill can cause blood clots (and in far higher numbers than the vaccine). Perhaps when the two come into alignment in susceptible individuals?
Here is a report from the bbc this morning

Covid: Women should 'keep taking the pill' amid jab clot fear

Women are being urged not to stop taking contraceptive pills after blood clots fears were sparked by the Covid vaccine rollout.

Health officials have said the pill runs a risk of blood clots while defending the safety of the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine.

Some women have claimed they were not told of risks by GPs, and have called for better contraceptive services.

The NHS said there was "a very low risk" of blood clots.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-56749387

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
Here is a report from the bbc this morning

Covid: Women should 'keep taking the pill' amid jab clot fear

Women are being urged not to stop taking contraceptive pills after blood clots fears were sparked by the Covid vaccine rollout.

Health officials have said the pill runs a risk of blood clots while defending the safety of the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine.

Some women have claimed they were not told of risks by GPs, and have called for better contraceptive services.

The NHS said there was "a very low risk" of blood clots.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-56749387
I *think* I remember the risk of blood clots during pregnancy being much higher than that either from use of the pill or from the jab.

No one is advising women not to get pregnant though, are they?

brownmane

off kilter
Reaction score
Canada is not doing well. The other day, I heard that our cases per million is now higher than the US:(. Ontario’s number of infections is worst in the country. We are under “stay at home“ orders, just extended today from 4 weeks to 6.

The premier has also, apparently, given police the power to stop and question people for address and reason for being out. If it is deemed not “essential”, people can be fined.
Just an update to my post, the Ontario gov’t retracted most of the “enhanced” policing power it had announced - mostly due to police forces throughout the province stating that they would not be randomly stopping people and also due to possible court challenges re: human rights. But we are still under stay at home orders. I’m “essential” so it’s still off to work with you, regardless.

I am glad that the police powers were reversed. Earlier in this Covid experience with the first lockdown, there were reports of people impersonating police and stopping people and asking questions (police were not doing anything of the sort). I was kind of worried that this would happen again and that I might be stopped by a faux officer and wouldn’t know it. Kind of scary.

I hope we see some reversal of fortune soon.

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Had my 2nd AZ jab yesterday. Initially had a burning sensation in the nose but not as severe as last time. Feeling tired and heady tonight but today was a very heavy day at work. Other than that nothing really untoward to report.
Though I was mightily pissed off with the two guys who got on the train at Romford and sat opposite me this morning. Masks on their chins, no attempt to cover up, and then laughed and chatted away all the way to London Liverpool Street.

bugmum

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Had my 2nd AZ jab yesterday. Initially had a burning sensation in the nose but not as severe as last time. Feeling tired and heady tonight but today was a very heavy day at work. Other than that nothing really untoward to report.
Had my first AZ jab yesterday and with the exception of a tender arm, I've been fine. Except at 4 o'clock today, I abruptly ran out of steam. Could have been a sugar crash, or the effects of returning to full-time work, but I definitely feel wiped out still.

Sollywos

Studying for finals of Grumpy Old Lady degree.
Reaction score
Got my call up for the second AZ jab (phew was beggining to get a bit anxious and wondering if Id been forgtten!) I'm booked in for Saturday morning. I'll keep you posted if I have a reaction as I did for the first one.

Once again I'm feeling very fortunate with how easy it's been for me compared to some others on this forum particularly those in the USA and Canada. It's being done in my regular GP surgery which is walking distance away. I wonder if it will be snowing this time? If so I won't be tempted to come back and build a snowman as I did the first time as I'm not entirely convinced that my feeling fluey for a few days was down to the vaccine and not messing about hatless in the freezing cold!

Sollywos x

Victory

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I had my first AZ jab.

************************************************Word of advice************************************

If you are scheduled to have this jab, then book time off work for the two days after the vaccination.

Like an idiot I worked, and should really have rested up.

I am not sure how my decision to work rather than rest might reduce the effectiveness of the jab?
Might anyone know?

The day after the jab:

I woke up unusually early at 5AM feeling not well.
Cramps down one leg, and really overheating.
I was not able to get back to sleep, started work at 7.45AM.
I was spaced out, tired, had shivers, headache, slight nausea, and a raging thirst.

The next day I was tired.

Felt lethargic on day three.

On the fourth day I had a slight sore throat and fatigue, I slept on and off for about 15 hours.

Last edited:

Lb8535

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I had my first AZ jab.

************************************************Word of advice************************************

If you are scheduled to have this jab, then book time off work for the two days after the vaccination.

I am not sure how my decision to work rather than rest might reduce the effectiveness of the jab?
Might anyone know?

The day after the jab:

I was spaced out, tired, had shivers, headache, slight nausea, and a raging thirst.

On the fourth day I had a slight sore throat and fatigue, I slept on and off for about 15 hours.
There has been no caution about the need to rest after getting the shot - or any shot - except your own comfort. The only warning of any kind so far has been not to take any drug intended to treat possible side-effects until after you have the shot and experience a side effect, Ie, no tylenol in advance.

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I had my first AZ jab.

Might anyone know?

The day after the jab:

I had the AZ jab and had no side effects at all other than a bit of an ache at the injection site, thats my upper arm not the hotel where i was vaccinated :p

Ghost In The Machine

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I had my first AZ jab.

Might anyone know?

The day after the jab:

Im not a medic but sometimes feel like a virologist after a year of non stop reading about this thing!

But it can't possibly matter whether you ran a marathon for three days straight after having the vaccine, or staying in bed. The vaccine will do its thing, regardless of you and nothing you can do will increase your antibodies or reduce them. It is what it is.

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
I actually HAD two days off work following my first jab, just accidentally, it was the way the rota fell.

And I felt a ridiculous fraud because I was all set for side effects and had absolutely none. Not even a sore arm. No tiredness, lethargy, headache, nothing.

But I laid on the sofa and watched Netflix anyway, just as a precaution....

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
No problems? It affected your spelling.
That was an injoke with myself. good catch
ASTRALI.jpg
.. my Dad's old company ..

.. he called it astrali for a few reasons: A was the first in the telephone directory so people would find his business first , it sounded a bit Italian which was fashionable in '69 but here's where it gets Fortean weird .............. he was on a plane and missing my Mum as he told me, nodded off then suddenly realised he was above the flying plane looking down at himself sleeping .. as soon as he realised that wasn't right? .. he woke up .. hence 'astrali' .. astral projection ..

Last edited:

Lb8535

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Im not a medic but sometimes feel like a virologist after a year of non stop reading about this thing!

But it can't possibly matter whether you ran a marathon for three days straight after having the vaccine, or staying in bed. The vaccine will do its thing, regardless of you and nothing you can do will increase your antibodies or reduce them. It is what it is.
The advice on the tylenol or any anti-inflammatory ahead of time was from virologists who suspected that the advance suppression of whatever might theoretically impede the vaccine's full effect. No one has cited data.