COVID-19: How Are You? (Your Personal Notes; Queries; Reports)

Ghost In The Machine

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I can't help wondering about all the doubt being cast on the Oxford Astra-Zenica vaccine. I mean, I've been told it's the only one of types available that is being sold at cost rather than with profit?
Indeed. It was always meant to be non profit - it was gunned for in some cases by countries who had developed for-profit vaccines.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
Has anyone else here had someone say to them "Sorry but can you pull your mask down please? .. I lip read." ..? ..

Two days ago I had a non mask wearing customer ask me to do that (then over explain that she wasn't deaf)) and yesterday a different customer (she was wearing a face mask) also said the same thing almost word for word .. "I lip read" .. I project my voice loud enough through my mask so this is the first two times I've had this request. Weird?.

Last edited:

Ghost In The Machine

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Has anyone else here had someone say to them "Sorry but can you pull your mask down please? .. I lip read." ..? ..

Two days ago I had a non mask wearing customer ask me to do that (then over explain that she wasn't deaf)) and yesterday a different customer (she was wearing a face mask) also said the same thing almost word for word .. "I lip read" .. I project my voice loud enough through my mask so this is the first two times I've had this request. Weird?.
No but my husband is fairly deaf and he wouldn't dream of doing that. As is another family member, now I come to think of it and no, they'd both just suck it up that they might not understand something - wouldn't demand someone else risked their life so they could understand something being said. That does seem weird.

oxo66

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
Oh right - how reliable are they in comparison to the swab tests I wonder. Not so unpleasant to do..
I'm in a different study and received a lateral flow test kit last week. Very easy to do, and I got a very clear negative result. I'm seven weeks on from first AZ jab and haven't had covid AFAIK. The covering letter said the test might not pick up antibodies from vaccination.

They quote 98.0% accurately giving a positive result (199 out 203 tested) and 99.6% accurate for negative (448 out of 450). I think this is as good as lateral flow swab tests - the while-you-wait tests.

Swifty

Reaction score
No but my husband is fairly deaf and he wouldn't dream of doing that. As is another family member, now I come to think of it and no, they'd both just suck it up that they might not understand something - wouldn't demand someone else risked their life so they could understand something being said. That does seem weird.
It's the twice in two days thing .. I was just wondering if anyone else has had that 'lip reader' blag thrown at them .. it does seem weird to me as well. If it happens again? .. I think I'm going to use our sharpie pen, keep my mask on and write on a A5 "YOU ARE THE THIRD PERSON WHO'S ABLE TO LIP READ SO YOU WIN A FREE NAPKIN!" ..

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
It's the twice in two days thing .. I was just wondering if anyone else has had that 'lip reader' blag thrown at them .. it does seem weird to me as well.
I guess it'll only be the people who have direct dealings with the public who might have this happen.

Analogue Boy

Bar 6
Reaction score
.. I think I'm going to use our sharpie pen, keep my mask on and write on a A5 "YOU ARE THE THIRD PERSON WHO'S ABLE TO LIP READ SO YOU WIN A FREE NAPKIN!" ..

Or you could write the alphabet and numbers on your mask and point to them in turn as you slowly say a sentence. A bit like a ouija board for your face.

Swifty

Reaction score
Or you could write the alphabet and numbers on your mask and point to them in turn as you slowly say a sentence. A bit like a ouija board for your face.
Inspired ! :cool: ..I'd prefer in that case to instead write ermm on my face mask for those customers who say "ermm" when I've got a que forming then just point to my mask to drop the hint. Getting sacked via sarcasm.

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
I was in t' supermarket a little while ago and I was next in line behind an old lady who said to the checkout queue wrangler "Are you talking to me?", not aggressively in a Travis Bickle way, but because she was apparently profoundly deaf and could see the aforementioned staffer was saying something to her, but due to the maskage couldn't see the lips moving.

staticgirl

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
I haven't but I was talking to one of the ladies at the till at my local Co-op and she said it happened all the time. And then at another visit the till lady herself said she had difficulties understanding customers because she was partially deaf. I don't think it's a blag most of the time.

Victory

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Here's an idea @Swifty

Keep your mask up, and communicate with these?

You could ask your boss to buy one of these LED boards and pretend you are in control of a tube train platform.

led.jpg

Or pretend you are back at school with one of these handy wipeable whiteboards.

WB.jpg

Stormkhan

Disturbingly familiar
Reaction score
I've not had the "I lip-read so pull down your mask" stunt but Day 2 of Lockdown Ease, I had a woman enter and I asked, politely, if she had a mask.
I've never had such a rapid attitude change.
"No! It doesn't matter. I refuse to wear one. In fact I'm offended that you have asked me! That's it! You have lost a customer! I am never coming in here again and, in fact, I shall tell my whole family never to come here!"
Three things:
1) In response to "I'm offended!", I politely said "Oh dear. Too bad." and waited for her to finish.
2) I've never seen her before (and this is a small town) so I suspect she - and any possible family - is tourist, so "meh".
3) If she was offended by my asking then she's going to really get angry when the local Boots, Spar, Tesco etc. etc. ask her about her mask.

Strikes me that - in many situations - folks who are discovered to be acting stupidly, or are embarrassed at their own mistake or being seen in public looking foolish (things that we all have done), they are turning their embarrassment to aggressive reflection, i.e. I feel stupid so you are the one at fault!
I honestly suspect she'd just forgotten to wear a mask. It was probably in her handbag. But her embarrassment was channeled into aggression at me. I really don't care. I know my behaviour was both impeccable and legally correct. If she'd 'fessed up I might've chuckled and said "well, if you tell me you're exempt, I can't check" but she was so quick to be an idiot I have no sympathy.
We now have a policy not to ask.
There's signs everywhere to wear a mask and 99% of the time just seeing me put on my mask to approach the counter reminds people. It's not the money that I crave from them; it's a pragmatic approach to a stupid set-up.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I've not had the "I lip-read so pull down your mask" stunt but Day 2 of Lockdown Ease, I had a woman enter and I asked, politely, if she had a mask.
I've never had such a rapid attitude change.
"No! It doesn't matter. I refuse to wear one. In fact I'm offended that you have asked me! That's it! You have lost a customer! I am never coming in here again and, in fact, I shall tell my whole family never to come here!"
Three things:
1) In response to "I'm offended!", I politely said "Oh dear. Too bad." and waited for her to finish.
2) I've never seen her before (and this is a small town) so I suspect she - and any possible family - is tourist, so "meh".
3) If she was offended by my asking then she's going to really get angry when the local Boots, Spar, Tesco etc. etc. ask her about her mask.

Strikes me that - in many situations - folks who are discovered to be acting stupidly, or are embarrassed at their own mistake or being seen in public looking foolish (things that we all have done), they are turning their embarrassment to aggressive reflection, i.e. I feel stupid so you are the one at fault!
I honestly suspect she'd just forgotten to wear a mask. It was probably in her handbag. But her embarrassment was channeled into aggression at me. I really don't care. I know my behaviour was both impeccable and legally correct. If she'd 'fessed up I might've chuckled and said "well, if you tell me you're exempt, I can't check" but she was so quick to be an idiot I have no sympathy.
We now have a policy not to ask.
There's signs everywhere to wear a mask and 99% of the time just seeing me put on my mask to approach the counter reminds people. It's not the money that I crave from them; it's a pragmatic approach to a stupid set-up.
Make a big show of putting on your mask when you see a non-masked customer walk in.
In fact, get one of those military-style biohazard masks to make the point even more. Perhaps even turn on a flashing light.

Lb8535

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Me too and I just cope with it, I can't always see peoples' lips even when they're not masked. People in the US are shocked and offended when a shop or an airline tells them that for everyone's protection if they can't wear a mask then they just can't (come in, fly). In the well-run places it's just a rule and not subject to change because you're inconvenienced.

Swifty

Reaction score
I haven't but I was talking to one of the ladies at the till at my local Co-op and she said it happened all the time. And then at another visit the till lady herself said she had difficulties understanding customers because she was partially deaf. I don't think it's a blag most of the time.
Sometimes I like to mess with my customers wearing face masks when they ask me something so whatever they've said, I'll say "Half past two!".

GingerTabby

Carbon-based life form
Reaction score
I have an appointment for my first jab scheduled for this coming Thursday. The clinic is being run by the local health authority and the vaccine will be either Moderna or Pfizer. It's being held less than a block from my home so I don't have to worry about transport. I'm quite relieved to finally have an appointment booked.
:badge::badge::badge:

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
I never realised how much I depend on lip reading until masks became a 'thing'. I now do an awful lot of nodding and smiling. My hearing is going in the lower register (so I find it easier to hear higher pitches) and some of the men with deep voices, combined with the perspex screen and the masks means that I pretty much don't have a clue what 50% of my customers are saying.

brownmane

off kilter
Reaction score
I never realised how much I depend on lip reading until masks became a 'thing'. I now do an awful lot of nodding and smiling. My hearing is going in the lower register (so I find it easier to hear higher pitches) and some of the men with deep voices, combined with the perspex screen and the masks means that I pretty much don't have a clue what 50% of my customers are saying.
I have a friend who is deaf (she can hear some, but lots of misunderstanding if she can't see your face/mouth) so I was aware of the problems that people who don't hear well, would have with everyone wearing masks.

I was in a grocery store one day last summer and I was waiting for a woman to move from the egg section so that I could grab a carton. She didn't move and even another person who was keeping her distance from me (I did move to let her pass) made a comment about how long the woman had been standing there (I waited almost 5 minutes for her to move). This woman was looking at her cell phone for some reason. I finally walked closer and indicated that I was waiting. She then became quite defensive and said "I'm deaf. I can't hear you." At that point (6 feet distance) I took off my mask and said clearly "I understand. I was just waiting to get eggs." She still huffed and puffed for some reason, but moved. Once I got my eggs and left, she resumed to standing exactly where she'd been. The bystander who'd commented earlier, remarked on the woman's unnecessary reaction to my request. Some people:rolleyes:. But I am very aware that people with hearing difficulties are having some trouble communicating with others because of the masking.

charliebrown

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
In the U.S. people are not coming back for their first or second shot.

Some companies are offering cash to their employees to get their first or second shot.

Major League Baseball teams will offer discounts on tickets if the person agrees to get a free vaccination in the ballpark.

The Seattle Mariners were the first to offer vaccinations and it seems successful.

The blood clot controversy did not help the situation.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
I was listening to actor Jason Isaacs on a podcast this week and he was discussing the virus. He made the point that when people say "I'll risk getting Covid" when they don't get the vaccine, they mean "I won't get Covid". Because when they do get Covid, they really, really wish they hadn't risked it. People are very bad at risk assessment, basically.