COVID-19: How Are You? (Your Personal Notes; Queries; Reports)

JahaRa

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
Covid has knocked out so many school bus drivers In Massachusetts that the governor called out the National Guard to drive the children to school.
If it is that bad in Massachusetts why is school still open?

JahaRa

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
Back to the OP. I am worried about my grandsons. Two of them have Covid. The one in Delaware is home with his family, who are quarantined. Both daughters have been vaccinated, but like I mentioned in an earlier post, the one in Albuquerque has Covid and it is not a mild case like everyone claims should be. The daughter in Delaware is quarantining with her family, but she thinks everything is ok. Took her baby for a walk in the neighborhood, like she doesn't understand the word quarantine. I don't know how I got two so disparate thinking daughters. The one who did well in school, skated, actually, everything so easy for her, is the one who does not pay attention. The one who struggled is a genius in so many ways, and very socially conscious. As soon as she found out she had been exposed she quarantined herself and her son. Now they are both sick. I wish no one else would get this horrible virus.

Nosmo King

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
Back to the OP. I am worried about my grandsons. Two of them have Covid. The one in Delaware is home with his family, who are quarantined. Both daughters have been vaccinated, but like I mentioned in an earlier post, the one in Albuquerque has Covid and it is not a mild case like everyone claims should be. The daughter in Delaware is quarantining with her family, but she thinks everything is ok. Took her baby for a walk in the neighborhood, like she doesn't understand the word quarantine. I don't know how I got two so disparate thinking daughters. The one who did well in school, skated, actually, everything so easy for her, is the one who does not pay attention. The one who struggled is a genius in so many ways, and very socially conscious. As soon as she found out she had been exposed she quarantined herself and her son. Now they are both sick. I wish no one else would get this horrible virus.
I'm sorry to hear that, my best wishes for a speedy recovery.

charliebrown

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
JahaRa, I am sorry to hear about the sickness in your family.

In our local area, the school people determined that students did terrible in a virtual school last year and come “ hell or high water, dam the torpedos and full speed ahead “, kids will be in school this year.

I don’t know how other parts of the world are handling this school and covid situation.

JahaRa

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
JahaRa, I am sorry to hear about the sickness in your family.

In our local area, the school people determined that students did terrible in a virtual school last year and come “ hell or high water, dam the torpedos and full speed ahead “, kids will be in school this year.

I don’t know how other parts of the world are handling this school and covid situation.
They are doing the same here, but any child that is exposed or tests positive is expected to quarantine and the school sets up online learning for that child. My grandson had been set up last week when my daughter reported to the school that they had been exposed. I don't think he is doing any classes today but he did do his online class yesterday. At my other grandson's school in Delaware my daughter said they send notices through email to all the parents when a child has tested positive. Her son is feeling better but has to quarantine for 2 more weeks and he is doing school online. I know most kids did have problems with online teaching, partly because the teachers were not prepared for it and had no clue how to be effective. My 10 year old grandson thrived doing school online, he is in the autistic spectrum (anxiety and exceeding good hearing contribute to that) but by the end of April he was happy to be able to go to school and see his class mates again. He is having a much better year in school this year than any other year. And he was upset that he couldn't go to school last week. I think his school has better accomodations for online learning being a charter school with fewer students.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score

Hope they get better soon.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
They are doing the same here, but any child that is exposed or tests positive is expected to quarantine and the school sets up online learning for that child. My grandson had been set up last week when my daughter reported to the school that they had been exposed. I don't think he is doing any classes today but he did do his online class yesterday. At my other grandson's school in Delaware my daughter said they send notices through email to all the parents when a child has tested positive. Her son is feeling better but has to quarantine for 2 more weeks and he is doing school online. I know most kids did have problems with online teaching, partly because the teachers were not prepared for it and had no clue how to be effective. My 10 year old grandson thrived doing school online, he is in the autistic spectrum (anxiety and exceeding good hearing contribute to that) but by the end of April he was happy to be able to go to school and see his class mates again. He is having a much better year in school this year than any other year. And he was upset that he couldn't go to school last week. I think his school has better accomodations for online learning being a charter school with fewer students.
This new generation of kids are really getting the toughest deal because of covid IMO. They need to be able to hang out together to socially develop. :( .. we're going to have to start calling them 'generation C' at this rate.

PeteS

Seeking refuge
Reaction score
Hope everything works out in the end. I too have two wholly disparate thinking offspring - sometimes you can't tell kids anything.

JahaRa

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
Hope everything works out in the end. I too have two wholly disparate thinking offspring - sometimes you can't tell kids anything.
Thank you. It is so strange how different kids from the same family can be.

charliebrown

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
My wife has had her two vaccinations, but I have resisted because of a past history of low platelets.

But since Tennessee has become the “ pit of hell “ for covid, I am going to stop at the hospital tomorrow for the first vaccination.

I wonder if I can talk the nurses out of a flu shot also and get two vaccinations for one visit ?

Lb8535

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
My wife has had her two vaccinations, but I have resisted because of a past history of low platelets.

But since Tennessee has become the “ pit of hell “ for covid, I am going to stop at the hospital tomorrow for the first vaccination.

I wonder if I can talk the nurses out of a flu shot also and get two vaccinations for one visit ?
The CDC is recommending both at the same time, but given what's going on in TN right now they're probably just trying to keep everyone on the same assembly line.

Nosmo King

I'm not a cat
Reaction score

When I had my jabs I was asked if I had had any other vaccinations in the past two weeks, dont know if the vaccines interfere with each other or not as I hadn't had any other shots so they didn't elaborate.

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Talking to a friend, he said the booster 3rd dose vaccination planned in the UK for over 50s will be either Pfizer or Moderna. Astra Zeneca won’t be available either because it’s not medically recommended or whatever stock is around is being sent abroad for other countries. You won’t get a choice.

This was news to me. I haven’t read up on the pros & cons of mixing vaccines so am not sure what I think of it. Anyone here got a view? - preferably informed by reputable medical sources.

Having had the AZ vaccine I’d have gone for that but maybe it's not so effective in 3 doses. There is also the blood clotting issue but from what I’ve read that’s very minimal statistically. Could it be that we’ve bought millions of doses of Pfizer & Moderna & need to use them up?

The JCVI said the Pfizer vaccine should be the primary choice for booster shots, with a half-dose of Moderna as an alternative. It said these messenger RNA vaccines are more effective as booster shots. The AstraZeneca vaccine shot, which is based on a different technology, will be offered to anyone who can’t receive an RNA vaccine for clinical reasons.

Sollywos

Studying for finals of Grumpy Old Lady degree.
Reaction score
When I had my jabs I was asked if I had had any other vaccinations in the past two weeks, dont know if the vaccines interfere with each other or not as I hadn't had any other shots so they didn't elaborate.
Yes I had to hastily arrange my flu jab ahead of my first covid jab as I was told it had to be at least a fortnight between the two.

Sollywos x

Nosmo King

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
Talking to a friend, he said the booster 3rd dose vaccination planned in the UK for over 50s will be either Pfizer or Moderna. Astra Zeneca won’t be available either because it’s not medically recommended or whatever stock is around is being sent abroad for other countries. You won’t get a choice.

This was news to me. I haven’t read up on the pros & cons of mixing vaccines so am not sure what I think of it. Anyone here got a view? - preferably informed by reputable medical sources.

Having had the AZ vaccine I’d have gone for that but maybe it's not so effective in 3 doses. There is also the blood clotting issue but from what I’ve read that’s very minimal statistically. Could it be that we’ve bought millions of doses of Pfizer & Moderna & need to use them up?
Here are a couple of reports regarding mixing different vaccines

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-01359-3

https://ec.europa.eu/research-and-i...bout-mixing-and-matching-coronavirus-vaccines

Sollywos

Reaction score
Having had the AZ vaccine I’d have gone for that but maybe it's not so effective in 3 doses.
Me too.
Could it be that we’ve bought millions of doses of Pfizer & Moderna & need to use them up?
Seems likely doesn't it?

Hoping a fellow poster can offer up some informed insight.

Sollywos x

Sollywos

Reaction score
Thanks @Nosmo King ... reading them now!

Ah right that seems reassuring. :)

Sollywos x

Last edited:

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score

The last thing I read said that the AZ vaccine isn't (yet) experiencing the 'waning immunity' that those given Pfizer are subject to.

The UK has ordered an almost ridiculous quantity of vaccines from all of those available.

Last time I checked, they have over 400 million doses theoretically either here or in the pipeline--30 million of those are Janssen and require only a single dose.

The UK population is 67 million, and children are currently not being vaccinated.

Nosmo King

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
The last thing I read said that the AZ vaccine isn't (yet) experiencing the 'waning immunity' that those given Pfizer are subject to.

The UK has ordered an almost ridiculous quantity of vaccines from all of those available.

Last time I checked, they have over 400 million doses theoretically either here or in the pipeline--30 million of those are Janssen and require only a single dose.

The UK population is 67 million, and children are currently not being vaccinated.
Soon be vaccinating 12-15 year olds and the first booster (3rd dose) was administered today in the UK.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/sep/13/uk-children-aged-12-to-15-to-be-offered-covid-jab

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19...gins-as-nhs-starts-giving-third-jabs-12409424

PeteS

Seeking refuge
Reaction score
Yes I had to hastily arrange my flu jab ahead of my first covid jab as I was told it had to be at least a fortnight between the two.

Sollywos x
You're lucky to have had a flu jab so quickly. GP's surgeries where I live seem to be wholly incompetent admin wise. I've had the same surgery for nearly 30 years. I enquired about a flu shot at the beginning of September last year only to be told that "I'd get a letter". I got one in mid December with an appointment date several days before the letter arrived. I found the letter quite illuminating. I was apparently required to queue outside and not wear layers of clothing, the temp on the day was 2 degrees! Couldn't even be bothered to report the issue it was such a joke. This year I'll pay the £10 or so and get it done at a chemist.

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Thanks for those. They’re both about having a different 2nd dose to the first rather than the 3rd booster dose..

Quotes from both articles:
“It appears that the Pfizer vaccine boosted antibody responses remarkably in one-dose AstraZeneca vaccinees. This is all around wonderful news,” says Zhou Xing, an immunologist at McMaster University in Hamilton, Canada.

Giving people first and second doses of different vaccines probably makes sense, says Altmann. But he wonders what will happen if people need a third dose to prolong immunity or protect against emerging coronavirus variants. Repeated doses of virus-based vaccines such as the Oxford–AstraZeneca one tend to be increasingly less effective, because the immune system mounts a response against the adenovirus. RNA vaccines, by contrast, tend to trigger stronger side effects with added doses. “I do think there’s a brave new world of vaccinology to be scoped in all of this,” Altmann says.

While experts don’t consider the approach of mixing vaccines to be dangerous, they say that we don’t have enough data about coronavirus vaccine mixing and that safety should be evaluated as in any new vaccine strategy.
In particular, mixing mRNA vaccines with adenovirus-based vaccines and vice versa has not been done before, says Dr Meulien, as the first instance of mRNA vaccine technology being approved for human use was for Covid-19.

‘I think you really need to start from scratch,’ he said. ‘You have to do dosing regimens and all the usual things that you do in a precautionary way. You will have to do it with these new things because none of them have been tested together before.’

Nosmo King

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
Thanks for those. They’re both about having a different 2nd dose to the first rather than the 3rd booster dose..

Quotes from both articles:
I couldn't find any information on having a different vaccine as a 3rd booster shot, probably because they have only just started, however I would imagine the research is relevant as it is mainly about how the vaccines react with each other.

JahaRa

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
It probably depends on whether you are getting the mRNA covid vaccine or the DNA version (Jansen/J&J)