COVID-19: How Are You? (Your Personal Notes; Queries; Reports)

Lb8535

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I have a social predicament that is surely not unique.

A friend wants to go the cinema this week, to celebrate his birthday.
He's a good friend, and normally I would go along.

But the week after I have some vital work exams, which have to be taken in person, not online.

So I have decided to stay home all week, to minimise any risk of catching Covid.
Not that I would want to catch Covid anyway, but I want to maximise my chance of being fit and healthy to attend the exams
If I cannot take those exams, I have to apply for another test date at a later time, at my own expense, £250.

I am double vaccinated, and have considered going to the cinema wearing a mask through the whole film.

But I have decided to err on the side of caution.
I have told my friend we can celebrate after my exams.
I can tell my friend is not happy, would anyone here do any different?
I would do the same. Actually I have - if you have a chronic condition you sometimes have to look forward and think of what may knock you off your feet when you really have to be heathy and yes one does plan ahead.

Sollywos

Studying for finals of Grumpy Old Lady degree.
Reaction score
They may be a bit miffed but surely as a good friend they can see that your refusal is perfectly reasonable in the circumstances. You've made the correct decision Victory. :)

Sollywos x

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score

But the week after I have some vital work exams, which have to be taken in person, not online.

So I have decided to stay home all week, to minimise any risk of catching Covid.
Not that I would want to catch Covid anyway, but I want to maximise my chance of being fit and healthy to attend the exams
If I cannot take those exams, I have to apply for another test date at a later time, at my own expense, £250.

I am double vaccinated, and have considered going to the cinema wearing a mask through the whole film.

This, I fear, is precisely what 'living with Covid' is going to amount to: making informed decisions that balance risk and outcome and accepting routine inconvenience.

If it's any consolation, you've clearly made the sensible call in this situation.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
I think you made the right and rational choice. You have an important event with serious implications coming up, and you've decided to focus on being best-prepared for it. The choice you had to make was analogous to avoiding distractions to ensure success with any imminent challenge (e.g., studying for an exam; finishing a report; completing a project).

First things first.

Ringo

I like to not get involved in these matters
Reaction score
I think you made the right and rational choice. You have an important event with serious implications coming up, and you've decided to focus on being best-prepared for it. The choice you had to make was analogous to avoiding distractions to ensure success with any imminent challenge (e.g., studying for an exam; finishing a report; completing a project).

First things first.
My sentiments exactly. I have had to avoid quite a few social situations in order to minimise my risk of catching it, as doing so would cause lots of problems for my company let alone loss of income for me. My friends have just accepted it. They've been disappointed a few times but they're grown ups and will get over it.

staticgirl

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Victory - I think if I was your friend I would understand how important these exams are to your career and I would be buying you a good luck card whilst planning my second birthday outing / successful exams celebration with you for afterwards.

Also: Good luck!

JahaRa

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score

No. I would do the same as you. Don't let your friend's disappointment cause you any guilt. You have made a reasonable decision and your friend can choose to accept it understandingly or choose to have hurt feelings. We have no control or responsibility for how anyone else feels or thinks. I hope you do well on your exams.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Techy is WFH in t'dining room and I'm in t'lounge next door, sitting down because I have a miserable cold.

He heard me coughing and choking so nipped in holding out a tissue and with the Olbas Oil in the other hand.

I took the tissue, said 'Oooh thank you!' and sniffed hard on it. No smell at all! I have Covid! :eek:
Techy then opened the Olbas Oil. He hadn't yet deployed it and had first passed me a plain tissue.

He went off shaking his head. :rolleyes:

(I don't have Covid, I was tested on Saturday.)

Nosmo King

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
Techy is WFH in t'dining room and I'm in t'lounge next door, sitting down because I have a miserable cold.

He heard me coughing and choking so nipped in holding out a tissue and with the Olbas Oil in the other hand.

I took the tissue, said 'Oooh thank you!' and sniffed hard on it. No smell at all! I have Covid! :eek:
Techy then opened the Olbas Oil. He hadn't yet deployed it and had first passed me a plain tissue.

Get well soon

images (12).jpeg

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I just have a bug. Dunno how as I take all possible precautions.*
Went for a 30-odd mile ride on Sunday as usual. Got home, had a snack, fell asleep on the sofa, went to bed at 7pm and didn't wake up until 6:30am when Techy brought me a brew. Went back to sleep for two more hours.

Had a Covid test on Saturday as I'd been rough all week. Negative.

*I've said that to a midwife more than once though.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score

Ah! Take care! Have a hot toddy!

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I'm on my way to Italy. I didn't have Covid before arriving at the airport, not so sure now. I can't recall the last time I was in a place with so many people.
Hope you have a nice holiday. Eat plenty of pizza!

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
One week after my first Pfizer shot, I have lost my energy.

What to do to get my energy back ?
Energy drinks?
You could try 'Dunn's River Nurishment', which is a milk-based vitamin and protein drink. Actually good stuff.

There may be an equivalent obtainable in the US.

bugmum

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Students are back on campus. Little darlings. I try to avoid mixing with large crowds of them indoors, but I am reliably informed that in lectures and in the Forum (indoor student central), the level of mask-wearing is abysmal. They all think they're bloody invincible. And then the In House GP, whose surgery covers the University, reported that Monday's duty was full of students complaining about Freshers' Flu. Or possibly Covid. Well, do something about it, you idiots!

The students I have had contact with came in ones and twos, and were masked. Our deputy lab manager has been quite insistent on this.

Also, I think the small minority of non-mask wearers in the supermarket is rapidly getting larger and larger. The Teenager and I, on the other hand, will be masked for the foreseeable future!