COVID-19: How Are You? (Your Personal Notes; Queries; Reports)

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Also, I think the small minority of non-mask wearers in the supermarket is rapidly getting larger and larger. The Teenager and I, on the other hand, will be masked for the foreseeable future!
I think I was the only mask wearer today when I was at the supermarket. I went yesterday too - same observation.

RaM

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Yep myself and the wife both still ware a mask this is not over yet.
I have just had my appointment for a flue and covid jab in about 2 weeks so that will be my third.

Victory

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Energy drinks?
You could try 'Dunn's River Nurishment', which is a milk-based vitamin and protein drink. Actually good stuff.

There may be an equivalent obtainable in the US.

Vitamin gummies can help if you think your diet is lacking?

And extra vegetable soup is a nice pick-me-up.

Am lactose intolerant but before I became so, Dunn's River Nourishment and similar product Nutrament were staples of my diet.

Essentially they are fortified milk, and taste really nice.

But very high in sugar.

Very popular with Londoners of West Indian heritage.

Occasionally too Irish Moss, though the canned product in newsagents is not vegan, unlike the more homemade style Ital Moss you can find around areas with a high African/Caribbean population.

These days I sometimes make my own version - a non-dairy milk such as coconut/almond/tiger nut, blended with any combination that I have to hand out of pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, brazil nuts, malt, honey, maple syrup, tahini.

Nurihsment.jpg

nutrament.jpg

Irish.jpg

I also find malt drinks help - Supermalt, Might Malt, Malttsar, Nesher malt etc.

Again, these are high in sugar.

super.jpg

mighty.jpg

Nesher.jpg

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Yep myself and the wife both still ware a mask this is not over yet.
I have just had my appointment for a flue and covid jab in about 2 weeks so that will be my third.
Had my flu jab yesterday but I'm also in the mask-wearing minority. And we're still having more Covid-related deaths than pretty much any developed country - another 150 today, 907 in the last seven days. Numbers that just seem to be normalised now.

charliebrown

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Just when you think the muddy water could not get any more muddy.

There is a debate whether to get your flu shot along with your next covid shot, one in each arm.

Some doctors say yes and some doctors claim you have to wait 2 weeks in between.

A large study made at the University of Bristol, UK claims it is safe with the usual side effects.

Boris Johnson has promised his citizens the largest push for flu vaccinations that the UK has ever seen.

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score

There is a debate whether to get your flu shot along with your next covid shot, one in each arm.

Some doctors say yes and some doctors claim you have to wait 2 weeks in between.

A large study made at the University of Bristol, UK claims it is safe with the usual side effects.

Boris Johnson has promised his citizens the largest push for flu vaccinations that the UK has ever seen.

Probably best not to talk about what old Boris is saying. Politics and all.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar

My Mum told me about someone she knows who just had a flu jab in one arm and a covid jab in the other, done at the same time.
Now, he's fairly ill and both arms hurt so much, he can barely lift them.
I told my Mum to wait at least 2 weeks between jabs (she was offered a 3rd covid jab and a flu jab at the same time).

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
My colleague who caught Covid a couple of months ago and shrugged it off after around a week, has called in sick today, suffering from fever and headache.
Hope it's not a sign of "long Covid".

An update.
I, along with most of my team, went into the office today and noticed my colleague wasn't present.
Got an update from the boss that he had, indeed, contracted Covid again, despite already having it a few months ago and being subsequently double vaccinated.
Looks like antibodies simply don't work for some people.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
An update.
I, along with most of my team, went into the office today and noticed my colleague wasn't present.
Got an update from the boss that he had, indeed, contracted Covid again, despite already having it a few months ago and being subsequently double vaccinated.
Looks like antibodies simply don't work for some people.
The Mrs got a phone call from her boss asking her to go in early at 12 instead of 2:30 today, his 13 year old daughter had covid a few weeks ago, has since tested as negative but she's phoned him a bit freaked out because she's got a pounding headache so he's driven back home to look after her. Hopefully it's not connected.

PeteS

Seeking refuge
Reaction score
The Mrs got a phone call from her boss asking her to go in early at 12 instead of 2:30 today, his 13 year old daughter had covid a few weeks ago, has since tested as negative but she's phoned him a bit freaked out because she's got a pounding headache so he's driven back home to look after her. Hopefully it's not connected.
Friend's wife died of covid a couple of weeks ago, despite having had both jabs earlier in the year. She had severe arthritis, but nothing else diagnosed. Devastated for him.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
Friend's wife died of covid a couple of weeks ago, despite having had both jabs earlier in the year. She had severe arthritis, but nothing else diagnosed. Devastated for him.
Sorry to hear that Pete X

Lb8535

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Sorry to hear.

A few of my wife’s friends had both shots and still struggled with covid, with one of them dying about a month ago.

I guess it is not published how many fully vaccinated get sick.
The CDC is tracking fully vaccinated and hospitalized and they do publish data. They are not tracking those not sick enough to be hospitalized. In my opinion, a faulty decision.

Nosmo King

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
Sorry to hear.

A few of my wife’s friends had both shots and still struggled with covid, with one of them dying about a month ago.

I guess it is not published how many fully vaccinated get sick.
Here are some figures from England

"Fully vaccinated people are much less likely to die with Covid-19 than those who aren't, or have had only one dose, figures from the Office for National Statistics (ONS) show.

Out of more than 51,000 Covid deaths in England between January and July 2021, only 256 occurred after two doses.

They were mostly people at very high risk from illness from Covid-19."

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-58545548

PeteS

Seeking refuge
Reaction score
I get my second Pfizer shot Friday and you can get the flu shot in the other arm.

I think I will separate the two vaccinations by a week or so.

I have had people say the flu shot surprised them and made them feel not well.
Had a text yesterday from the local health centre offering a flu jab (2 months earlier than last year). I'm in two minds whether to have it, since it's years since I've had flu and only ever had a flu jab once.

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
I get my second Pfizer shot Friday and you can get the flu shot in the other arm.

I think I will separate the two vaccinations by a week or so.

I have had people say the flu shot surprised them and made them feel not well.

Yes. This year's flu jab gave me swollen lymph nodes in my throat for 5 or 6 days which, at its worst, made it rather painful to swallow food. Sensing your throat closing up can make you feel a bit panicky too.
According to the NHS guidelines, such a reaction is fairly rare, affecting < 5% of patients.
I'm totally fine now though and glad to have protection against the flu.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Yes. This year's flu jab gave me swollen lymph nodes in my throat for 5 or 6 days which, at its worst, made it rather painful to swallow food. Sensing your throat closing up can make you feel a bit panicky too.
According to the NHS guidelines, such a reaction is fairly rare, affecting < 5% of patients.
I'm totally fine now though and glad to have protection against the flu.
I had my flu jab last week and glad to say it went without issue, as it has for the last few years.

I think my parents, both 87, must be close to needing their boosters by now.

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score